Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barrie
    Supporting member

What do you think of Lynda Hopkins?

Do I have her name right? What do people think about her for our 5th District Supervisor? I received a call from someone promoting her, the young woman on the phone was unable to pronounce "Sebastopol" which made me suspect she was from an out of town campaign company. Barrie
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Shepherd

Re: What do you think of Lynda Hopkins?

Since your first question has to do with her name, the correct spelling is Lynda.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barrie: View Post
    Do I have her name right? What do people think about her for our 5th District Supervisor? I received a call from someone promoting her, the young woman on the phone was unable to pronounce "Sebastopol" which made me suspect she was from an out of town campaign company. Barrie
    Last edited by Barry; 03-18-2016 at 12:25 PM.

4. TopTop #3
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

... What do people think about her for our 5th District Supervisor? I received a call from someone promoting her, the young woman on the phone was unable to pronounce "Sebastopol" which made me suspect she was from an out of town campaign company. Barrie
    There's more information about Lynda on this thread, including posts by her as she tussled with Ernie Carpenter, and on her campaign's website.

I attended her campaign kickoff event last month and I was generally impressed. She called for a "new new deal" for Sonoma County, though i can't remember her specific proposals.

I look forward to hearing more from Lynda and I think she will be a strong candidate.

5. Gratitude expressed by:

6. TopTop #4
    Shepherd

Lynda describes herself as a "progressive." She attended the Morro Bay meeting of the Calif. Coastal Commission and was present when they came to Sebastopol. She is concerned about land use issues. Lynda is half the age of the other main candidate. She and her family farm and she has two young children.

I hope this is a clean campaign by all sides. We need more young people running for political office, even if they do not win the first time out. We need to think beyond this election and imagine the future that we would like to have in not only the next few years but beyond that here in our beloved Sonoma County, in my opinion.

I have read what Lynda has written in the past and heard her speak at Board of Supervisors meetings. She is articulate in both what she says and writes. She strikes me as an intelligent, caring person. She was the first candidate to bravely step forward.

If you want to hear all the 5th District Supervisor candidates, come to the April 28, Thursday, Candidates Forum at the Sebastopol Center for the Arts at the Vets Building on High Street. All candidates who filed on time have been invited. Doors open at 6:30 for the 7 p.m. event, which may fill the auditorium with some 200 people. The forum is sponsored by KOWS-FM radio--an example of the local community broadcasting that it offers--and Preserve Rural Sonoma County, which also has a primary issue in land use issues. It should be an informative and educational evening.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    There's more information about Lynda on this thread, including posts by her as she tussled with Ernie Carpenter, and on her campaign's website.

I attended her campaign kickoff event last month and I was generally impressed. She called for a "new new deal" for Sonoma County, though i can't remember her specific proposals.

I look forward to hearing more from Lynda and I think she will be a strong candidate.

7. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

8. TopTop #5
    Donna LaGraffe

According to Noreen Evans' office, the Sonoma County Alliance PAC "made of developers, landowners, and banks" has endorsed Lynda Hopkins.

9. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

10. TopTop #6

Don't we get it yet? There are gangs of peeps "co-opting" and training the "refugees" to speak English, to call people and tell them any number of outlandish things, to gain info. Three times I've gotten calls about grants from the generous government. and Three times other telemarketers who can't even get to the end of the first sentence of their script before they bungle it, usually by breaking out in uncontrollable giggles!!! These are not professional people representing anything valid!

However, in this instance, my intuition tells me Lynda is not using these tactics
    . I believe in her message, altho I was unable to go to her open public intro. at the Veterans' hall recently.

Let's all get behind her courage and determination to DO something about the things we care about. And to DO it because she knows we are ONE. She wants to help.... Let's give her the opportunity and support to see what she can DO with all our hopes and dreams for our way of life to prevail... at least here, where we live and work and have our BEings!

(Sermon for the Day!)

Rev. Allorrah Be, CAHt.

PS I haven't met her or talked to her or received anything for these words... they just poured out of me, as my Truth.

11. TopTop #7
    Barrie
    Supporting member

Thanks, this is the sort of info I was seeking. How does a young woman get the money to hire a professional service to call people to convince them to vote for her? Developers, landowners, and banks might be funding her. I don't know yet, but this is the type of information we need to keep track of. She could be great! Barrie

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Donna LaGraffe: View Post
    According to Noreen Evans' office, the Sonoma County Alliance PAC "made of developers, landowners, and banks" has endorsed Lynda Hopkins.

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #8
    geomancer

Similar thing happened with me. Lynda sure does appear to have a lot of money for a newcomer to our district.

.... I received a call from someone promoting her, the young woman on the phone was unable to pronounce "Sebastopol" which made me suspect she was from an out of town campaign company. Barrie
    Last edited by Barry; 03-20-2016 at 03:10 PM.

14. TopTop #9

Well, Noreen Evans also has "the courage and determination to Do something about the things we care about" and the experience and knowledge needed to get these things done. And the energy. Yes, she's older than Lynda--sooooo? And as has been pointed out:

"the Sonoma County Alliance PAC "made of developers and banks" has endorsed Lynda Hopkins. Right away that should put up large warning signs to those of us who work to protect the wide open wild spaces here that we love. I look forward to voting for Noreen Evans.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Allorrah Be: View Post
    ...Let's all get behind her courage and determination to DO something about the things we care about. ...
    PS I haven't met her or talked to her or received anything for these words... they just poured out of me, as my Truth.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-20-2016 at 03:11 PM.

15. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

16. TopTop #10
    Shepherd

I think that age does make a difference, being 71-years-old, and feeling more aches and pains. Noreen Evans has the advantages of being in her 60s, which include, in her case, maturity, experience, and wisdom. Lynda Hopkins will be in her 40s, after the hopeful win of Noreen in this election and possibly the next election. Such mid-life years can be full of contributing to one's society, once one has learned from those who did so at all ages.

My political philosophy is guided by considering the future, as well as the present. Lynda Hopkins has a detailed article in the current Sonoma County Gazette, which could help answer the question that initiated this thread.

It appears true that Lynda accepted money from the so called "Bosco boys." That is not enough to condemn her. As a former Sebastopol mayor pointed out to me, Bosco contributes to the Center for Climate Protection and other such environmental causes, he being an apparent moderate Democrat, though certainly not my cup of tea. As an old, old saying goes, "politics makes for strange bed fellows."

I have endorsed, donated to, and volunteered to work only on Noreen's campaign. Especially during this March month of celebrating women, let's welcome young women into the electoral fray, and think about what each of them can contribute, not only now, but in the years to come.

In terms of "those of us who work to protect the wide open wild spaces here that we love," Lynda has been doing just that. I have heard her do it before the current Board of Supervisors, in what she writes, and in the meetings she goes to. She is a farmer and land use is a major concern of hers.

Before allowing our appropriate enthusiasm for Noreen to lead to casting warnings against another candidate, I think some research into that candidate's positions would be helpful. Reading the Gazette article by Lynda and her response a few weeks ago to an attack in Sonoma West would be informative.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-20-2016 at 03:17 PM.

17. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

18. TopTop #11
    Shepherd

Following are Lynda Hopkins own words, rather than the speculations of her detractors. Her article “The Fight for Food Farms: The Crisis of Affordability” appears in the March issue of the SoCo Gazette.

I draw your attention to the people she quotes, which includes young farmers, such as Evan Wiig of the Farmers Guild and the Sebastopol Grange, as well as Tim Page of Farmers Exchange of Earthly Delights Sonoma (FEED) and Carmen Snyder of the SoCo Farm Trails.

Lynda addresses the important issue of affordable housing and the need to “support a diversified agricultural economy.” As a food farmer here for the last 24 years, these issues are of paramount concern to me. I hope they are also to most of you. Why attack a person with such values? Let’s at least have a civil, evidence-based discourse during this campaign, whichever candidate you support.

https://www.sonomacountygazette.com/...icle-4968.html

March 1, 2016, Sonoma County Gazette

The Fight for Food Farms: The Crisis of Affordability, By Lynda Hopkins

Nine years ago, when I started farming in the Russian River Valley, I could count the number of my fellow young farmers on one hand. Today, bountiful produce stands overseen by young farmers fill our farmers markets. New farm names pop up on local restaurant menus every season.

Food farms play a central role in our agricultural marketing as well as our community ethos. And yet the question remains: is food farming sustainable in Sonoma County? Will the young farmers who are selling Tuscan Kale hand over fist at the Sebastopol market still be there five years from now?

None of us knows. But unless we act as a community to protect our small farms, issues of affordability will eventually price farmers and farmworkers out of the County.

“Sonoma County is flush in farmers markets, farm-to-table restaurants and an overarching ethos of supporting local agrarians growing healthy food,” said Farmers Guild Executive Director Evan Wiig. “However, we still import the vast majority of our food from outside the county. Divide up the total acres of vegetables grown here, for instance, among the total population and each of us has only a six by six foot plot from which to harvest.”

Food farmers represent a minority of our agricultural community. Over time, economics have shifted our agricultural economy away from dairies, orchards, ranches, and row crops. In 2014, the total value of our row crops represented a mere two percent of the winegrape total value. Cattle and calves equaled 2.7 percent of the winegrape total. Dairy fared better, at 18 percent.

“Most of the farmers I know have to work second jobs, in addition to the tremendously demanding work of farming, in order to make ends meet. I wish this most venerable vocation were more appropriately valued and supported,” said Carmen Snyder, Executive Director of Sonoma County Farm Trails.

The bottom line: everyone living in Sonoma County must eat. We live in a place in which year-round food growing is possible. Our local farmers can produce everything from vegetables to heirloom grains, from sheep milk cheese to grassfed beef, from microgreens to Gravenstein apples. As a community, we value sustainability and resilience. So, how can we produce more local food?

Our County needs policies that directly support a diversified agricultural economy. Diversified agriculture starts from the ground up – but not the ground you might be thinking of. To grow local food, we first need affordable housing.

“The skyrocketing cost of rent and housing is hugely prohibitive, in particular for new farmers just getting started, but also to established farmers who want to provide their employees with a living wage, but can barely afford to live here themselves,” Evan Wiig said.

Solving the affordable housing crisis will take collaboration between the County of Sonoma and our nine incorporated towns and cities. For young working families, the situation is urgent. We need a systems-wide approach to this crisis that involves not only the creation of new affordable units – infill and transit-oriented development, of course, not sprawl – but also consideration of a housing trust model to offer rent subsidies and mortgage assistance for homebuyers.

Affordable housing for the workforce is only the first part of the puzzle. When asked what the top concern facing farmers is, Carmen Snyder answered, “Access to affordable land. Sonoma County is largely cost-prohibitive.”
    Aspiring food farmers simply cannot afford to purchase agricultural land. And even successful, established farmers may have a hard time passing their land down to the next generation. To help tackle this challenge, the Agricultural Preservation and Open Space District should consider utilizing affirmative agriculture easements.

Unlike traditional easements, which purchase development rights from private property owners, affirmative ag easements include an additional stipulation that the property be actively farmed. (The easement can stipulate the type of farming, such as row crops, orchard, or ranching.) In exchange, the property owner receives a payment, and the value of the land decreases – because potential buyers are limited to people who want to actively farm the property. In some models, easement payments are spread out over time so that future generations or owners can benefit.

Affirmative ag easements have been used successfully to maintain agricultural greenbelts around cities. They have also been used to support productive agriculture in counties facing skyrocketing real estate prices – and to increase the availability of agricultural land for purchase or lease by aspiring farmers.

Is it worth it to invest in productive local agriculture, just as we have invested in open space? The farmers, restaurants, grocers, wholesalers and non-profits who comprise our local food system believe that feeding our community does more than fill bellies. Engaging our community in how their food is grown promotes a healthy diet. Community gardens and you-pick farms encourage exercise. Sustainable agriculture offers wildlife habitat and can sequester carbon from the atmosphere, mitigating climate change. Food farms, in all their glorious diversity – whether they produce dairy or eggs, meat or fruit, vegetables or grains – maintain a resilient agricultural fabric: polyculture, not monoculture.

Tim Page, owner of Farmers Exchange of Earthly Delights Sonoma (F.E.E.D. Sonoma), noted that a local food system isn’t just about us: it’s about the next generation.

“Our children will ‘inherit’ a food system that is better than the way we found it… This is 100 percent the intention I set everyday as steward at F.E.E.D. Sonoma. We are all indigenous to this planet, and when we work for the children to come, we live up to our own potential as keepers of wisdom.”

I’m not sure I can live up to the title “keeper of wisdom,” but I would certainly like our children to inherit a County that is agriculturally diverse, affordable, and vibrant. These policies are just a start, and this conversation is just getting started. To continue the dialogue, feel free to email me. And don’t forget to support your local farmers by shopping at the markets or joining a local CSA.

[email protected]

19. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

20. TopTop #12

Thanks for posting this excellent article, Shepherd. It certainly gives me much food for thought. I will have to look more deeply into Lynda Hopkins now. It seems that we have two very thoughtful women running for 5th district sup. Which is a good way to bring up the important issues facing our west county.

Lilith

21. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

22. TopTop #13
    MsMeh

I'm curious about her connection (if any) to Hopkins River Ranch? (& possible wine industry ties?). Does anyone know? Hopkins River Ranch = 8300 Eastside Road (according to EveryVine website) and Foggy River Farm = 8291 Eastside Rd (according to their website). I've heard a lot of people allude to the fact that she's not a wine industry insider, so I'm now curious...

23. TopTop #14
    Shepherd

Lynda's father-in-law apparently owns that winery. Both female candidates have "wine industry ties," as do most successful Sonoma County politicians, who receive donations from the wine industry.

I have been struggling against the wine industry's over-development since 2001 and currently through Wine & Water Watch (www.winewaterwatch.org). There are many good grapegrowers and wineries in SoCo, especially the organic and genuinely sustainable ones who do not have large event centers. I like wine, as well as micro-breweries that make good beer. Being an "insider" should not automatically disqualify a candidate, especially if she is progressive and an environmentalist, in my opinion.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by MsMeh: View Post
    I'm curious about her connection (if any) to Hopkins River Ranch? (& possible wine industry ties?)...
    Last edited by Barry; 03-21-2016 at 12:20 PM.

24. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

25. TopTop #15
    Glia

It is also possible that Lynda herself has nothing to do with the phone calls. Her endorsers (who she may or may not be happy to have endorsing her) or a PAC could be doing research... there are several possibilities.

Incidentally, the California state legislature is working on the DISCLOSE Act (again!), which requires the identity of the top 3 funders for a snail-mail piece be clearly shown. Obviously nothing of this nature is in effect for the phone calls.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-21-2016 at 12:20 PM.

26. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

27. TopTop #16
    Richard Nichols

Much can be understood by learning who is endorsing who, and who is working for the candidates. Guilt by association holds true in the realm of politics. Cheap is talk these days, so words like sustainable, environmentalist, organic and such, needs close examination.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    ... Being an "insider" should not automatically disqualify a candidate, especially if she is progressive and an environmentalist, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-22-2016 at 02:51 PM.

28. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

29. TopTop #17
    Glia

Excellent observation. This is particularly true when the candidate has no track record or history as an elected official.

Lynda Hopkins, like any candidate, has the option of publicly disavowing an endorsement, asking organizations to NOT endorse her, and/or returning contributions from unsavory sources... like the ones from "the Bosco boys." Hopkins is starting to seem more than a tad naive -- quite disappointing!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Richard Nichols: View Post
    Much can be understood by learning who is endorsing who, and who is working for the candidates. Guilt by association holds true in the realm of politics. Cheap is talk these days, so words like sustainable, environmentalist, organic and such, needs close examination.

30. Gratitude expressed by:

31. TopTop #18
    scamperwillow

That is correct. She is also endorsed and being mentored by Eric Koenigshofer who groomed Efren for the job.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Donna LaGraffe: View Post

32. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

33. TopTop #19
    scamperwillow

There is also a candidates forum at the SR demo club dinner this Wed night. Reservations required.

See: https://www.waccobb.net/forums/showt...ndidates-Forum
    Last edited by Barry; 03-22-2016 at 02:56 PM.

34. Gratitude expressed by:

35. TopTop #20
    scamperwillow

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    ...In terms of "those of us who work to protect the wide open wild spaces here that we love," Lynda has been doing just that. I have heard her do it before the current Board of Supervisors, in what she writes, and in the meetings she goes to. She is a farmer and land use is a major concern of hers. ...
    Lynda does "talk" about those issues and I'm sure she is a very nice person. But Noreen has written and passed legislation to protect our coast, our parks, our homeowners (her bill of rights for homeowners). Noreen has a huge bank of knowledge, experience and a track record representing us for years. Go to her Facebook page to learn about many of the issues she has worked for on our behalf.
    https://www.facebook.com/NoreenforSupervisor/

Also, Noreen is not backed by the real estate and developer PACs that will be spending big money to support Lynda - as well as the big wineries and grape growers and Farm Bureau.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-22-2016 at 02:58 PM.

36. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

37. TopTop #21
    scamperwillow

And the scary part is that these groups will form "independent expenditure" PACs and spend lots of money to smear Noreen without having to give to Lynda directly. Watch for it..... It is kind of sad, because I think Lynda started out with the best of intentions, but now that these good old boys are pouring money her way, things have changed.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Glia: View Post
    Excellent observation. This is particularly true when the candidate has no track record or history as an elected official.

Lynda Hopkins, like any candidate, has the option of publicly disavowing an endorsement, asking organizations to NOT endorse her, and/or returning contributions from unsavory sources... like the ones from "the Bosco boys." Hopkins is starting to seem more than a tad naive -- quite disappointing!

38. TopTop #22
    Ernieman

I try not to think about her. I think about the future of the Fifth District and the County. Do we need another untried person who moved into the District to seek office? How did that work out with Carrillo?

He was moved in by the Bosco Boys. Hopkins was encouraged by the Fourth District Supervisor James Gore whom she worked for in his campaign, to move into the Fifth. Gore, Farm Bureau, the build 'em up developers group The Alliance, endorsed her within a nanosecond. Two other candidates on the development end of the political spectrum dropped out and endorsed her. We do not need this ethic in the Fifth. We need someone who can fight for services out West, protect our open spaces, and is not beholding to another Supervisor on road money or land use decisions.

So, we vote for an inexperienced person, carpetbagger, beholding to special interest, two young children at home, who misrepresents herself? Hopkins has an organic vegetable garden but apparently supports GMOs. This is why I am for Noreen. We know she will protect our land use and values. Noreen Evans is a problem solver who will fight for us starting Day 1. And, successfully.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-22-2016 at 03:00 PM.

39. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

40. TopTop #23
    drosatti

Outside of county real estate interests spend $130,000 on Independent Expenditures sinking Debora Fudge in the North County race last year (that's only ONE pro-sprawl development special interest!). Big money came in from LA, and the National Association of REALTORS. It's too bad- I wish the candidate in question had moved to Windsor to run instead of into the 5th district, she'd probably have made a good Town Council member, and showed the public what she can do. Instead, we're left to wonder, and have only past experience with her endorsers, which is NOT GOOD.

I'm proudly voting for Noreen Evans- just like I did in 2010 when she ran for State Senate to represent OUR DISTRICT, where Evans earned 75% of the vote! #ShesForUs

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    And the scary part is that these groups will form "independent expenditure" PACs and spend lots of money to smear Noreen without having to give to Lynda directly. Watch for it..... It is kind of sad, because I think Lynda started out with the best of intentions, but now that these good old boys are pouring money her way, things have changed.

41. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

42. TopTop #24
    Shepherd

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ernieman: View Post
    I try not to think about her. I think about the future of the Fifth District and the County. Do we need another untried person who moved into the District to seek office? How did that work out with Carrillo?...
    I certainly agree that Noreen Evans is the candidate to vote for in this election and hopefully in the next, if she runs again, as I have written above. What I do not agree with is dismissing and demonizing Lynda Evans. Some people may not want to think about young women running for office, which contributes to so few running. Some of the best people do not run for office, because of such negative campaigning.

It is simply too simplistic, in my opinion, to dismiss Lynda simply on the basis of where she gets some of her support. I am certainly not asking anyone to vote for Lynda, which is why I endorsed and donated to Noreen's campaign, as I have said. Let Noreen win on the basis of her substantial merits and not have her followers attack Lynda because she is a young mother and inexperienced in politics and call her names like "carpetbagger," using the rhetoric of those against Noreen. Shouting down someone is not likely to win them over to one's way of thinking, and away from developers. By the way, Lynda and her husband are farmers, not gardeners. They earn their living from their farming.

Please read the Gazette article that Lynda wrote, which I posted in this thread. It reveals her thinking about land use and does not appear to be written as a campaign piece. She writes about the importance of "a diversified agricultural economy," "affordable housing," "engaging our community in how their food is grown," "the next generation," the need "to support your local farmers," etc. She quotes people from the Farmers Guild, the Grange, Farm Trails, and FEED, not developers. These are groups and values that I respect and share. What about you? Lynda and her family seem to live these values. I doubt that she is perfect, but at least she does not seem to engage is such negative campaigning, which seems unnecessary in this case.

I learned "good guys/bad guys" thinking from my military training, and do not feel that it is appropriate in this situation. Politics is more complicated than such rigid either/or thinking and could benefit from some both/and reasoning. Those who "try not to think" about their favored candidates opponents should consider doing such thinking, if they are really interested in "the future."
    Last edited by Barry; 03-22-2016 at 03:03 PM.

43. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

44. TopTop #25
    Glia

It is too bad that Dennis Rosatti dropped out of the race, leaving us with a choice between Hillary Rodham Clinton Local Edition and a big question mark who is starting to smell poorly.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-22-2016 at 03:03 PM.

45. TopTop #26
    Ernieman

Shepherd,
    There is nothing untrue regarding my comments. Negativity in politics is about telling untruths.This is a thread that calls for opinion. You have my opinion. I do not want another interloper in the Fifth after Mr. Carrillo. Ms. Hopkins has taken the same path moving into the District in 2015.

On another note, you do not have to personally do "good guy, bad guy" thinking or indulge in simplistic" thinking. My thoughts are my own. I hold my own in history, politics, the world and a few other topics. As to thinking, I would love to blow your local proposition up to the national level: do you believe the Trump quotes? You believe what he writes and says? Do you have the same standard for Trump that politics "is more complicated" and we should listen to his stuff. That, he is not a "bad guy". That his positions are due "more reasoning". If so, you are bigger than me.
    Ernie

46. Gratitude expressed by:

47. TopTop #27
    Shepherd

Ernie,
    Now you compare this young woman to the fascist Trump and imply that Lynda Hopkins is a "bad guy." That is outrageous. Trump quotes the fascist Italian Mussolini and welcomes KKK support and that of other white supremacists. I do trust that those positions represent him. What evidence do you have that Lynda is Trump-like?

Have you even met Lynda Hopkins, as I have? Have you had a non-threatening, non-antagonistic conversation with her? Have you even seen her in action or read what she writes? I dare you to look her in the eyes. Once you do due diligence, I would invite you to provide evidence for your words, rather than just slinging them as a sword. Persuasive "opinion" is better when it is based on facts, rather than hatred.

What you have engaged in here is a classic ad hominem personal attack on an individual, not on her opinions and ideals. I invite you to step down from the superior throne on which you have installed yourself.

You do not serve your worthy candidate Noreen Evans or our electoral process well with your insults. Your negativity is harmful, not only to Lynda, but to other young people who might consider entering politics, without the kinds of slings and arrows that some would throw at them, attempting to silence people willing to enter a democratic, yet respectful of differences, process.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-22-2016 at 03:06 PM.

48. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

49. TopTop #28
    Ernieman

Shephard,
    Don't be stupid. I am not comparing Hopkins to Trump. I used Trump as an example of your logic. If you use it for Hopkins, then shouldn't you use it for Trump? Are you, for instance condemning those who attack Trump? It is about you logic which takes you to bad inference. I usually say what is on my mind and it doesn't need much interpretation. It is your throne and thread. Please don't ask for opinion if you don't want it. I have my own guru by the way and I speak for my self. By the way the term is "high horse", came right out of the political textbook.
    Ernie Carpenter

50. TopTop #29

Lynda Hopkins is backed by the same good old boys who brought us Efren Carrillo. Supported and endorsed by the real Estate PAC and Sonoma County Business Alliance PAC and Eric Koenigshafer. Noreen Evans has a long record of providing strong advocacy for the West County and the environment.

51. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

52. TopTop #30
    Zeno Swijtink

Lisa, I think it's a bit different.

A few years ago Noreen Evans came back to the county from the State Senate in Sacramento with a considerable war chest and many political friends who have supported her career in politics from Santa Rosa City Council, to State Assembly, to State Senate.

Lynda Hopkins was the first to enter the race for 5th District Supervisor without the backing of much anybody at that time

Rather than going back to law practice and mentoring young, smart and progressive candidates like Lynda Hopkins, Noreen Evans chose to run herself again for a local office, backed by well-meaning establishment people my age (60-70+).

Forces from yesteryear, but with deep pockets themselves, and historically opposed to Evans, then decided to back Hopkins who was not too happy with that either, but with the establishment within the Democratic Party machine already committed to Evans and with the size Evans's war chest she could not flatly refuse that backing either.

Hopkins will be a fine, progressive supervisor for the 5th District who will bring more diversity to the Board of Supervisors. But she needs the support of progressive independents and progressive organizations outside the establishment.

I support Lynda Hopkins. She has great ideas and energy to bring to politics in Sonoma County and will make the BoS a better and more interesting and diverse body.

And we both hold degrees from Stanford

53. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: