Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #61
    jbox

Re: What do you think of Lynda Hopkins?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    You are quoting the newspaper, not Noreen. She has always been opposed to GMO's and fought against them in Sacramento....
    Is Noreen Evans aware of WACCO? How about letting Noreen speak for herself?
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #62
    scamperwillow

Sorry, I see no problem with voters speaking up for candidates they support. And here is the full context of the word Now that someone picked out:

"The political veteran in the 5th District race, former state Sen. Noreen Evans, was unsuccessful in a 2014 bid to pass legislation requiring all foods containing genetically modified organisms to be labeled in California. The state’s voters in 2012 narrowly turned down a ballot measure that would have essentially accomplished the same thing.Evans was careful to note back then that her proposed legislation was only about labels, telling fellow lawmakers during a committee hearing that her bill didn’t “ban anything.”
    She said Wednesday she now supports a ban on GMO plants and crops in Sonoma County, saying there’s no proof that altered crops are completely safe and that there’s potential for such material to “invade other farms.”

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jbox: View Post
    Is Noreen Evans aware of WACCO? How about letting Noreen speak for herself?

3. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

4. TopTop #63
    Erik Perez

I'm new to West County, but I've followed local politics for quite a few years. I am especially intrigued by this year's 5th District Supervisor race. I've been following this thread over the past few days and I was compelled to create an account so that I can ask a few clarifying questions. First, why does Lynda not state her position on GMO's?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    But she stopped short of endorsing a ban, saying she wanted to read through “every single line” of the proposed ordinance before stating her position on it.
    Well, it took me less than 15 minutes to read the ordinance (https://www.gmofreesonomacounty.com/ordinance); I'm not sure why it has taken Lynda so long to state her position, unless it's because her position is that she supports GMO's. My observation is that she portrays herself as an organic, young, progressive, West County mom/farmer, yet she is backed by the pro GMO, pro business, pro big ag establishment.

My second, and last question for right now is if anyone can give me clear explanation of her positions and what she is going to do for Sonoma County, more specifically, West County? It seems she says a lot of buzz words (organic, progressive, young, working together, etc.), but no real substance.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I attended her campaign kickoff event last month and I was generally impressed. She called for a "new new deal" for Sonoma County, though i can't remember her specific proposals.
    P.S. I got a call the other day and it was from someone who I could barely understand. They seemed to be reading from a script. When I interrupted to ask "Why does Lynda want to be our supervisor?", the person put me on hold for a minute, then got back on the phone and continued reading from the script.

I wish someone would just give some clear answers...especially Ms. Hopkins!

5. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

6. TopTop #64
    Shepherd

I agree with Marty above that having voters, rather than the candidates themselves, speak up makes sense. You will notice that neither of the probably leading candidates, Noreen Evans and Lynda Hopkins, have spoke up on Wacco. [Lynda has posted to waccobb recently - Barry] To do so would be likely to lead to some direct attacks. It seems wiser to let others comment.

On the other hand, the most recent applicant for the job of 5th District Supervisor, Tom Lynch, has spoken up, in what I would consider to be an attack on the leading candidate, Noreen. She and Lynda are wisely staying out of being a direct target of distortion and mud-slinging.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-25-2016 at 02:25 PM.

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #65
    Shepherd

One way to get some direct comments and answers from 5th District Supervisor candidates would be to attend the April 28, Thursday, Candidates Forum at the Sebastopol Center for the Arts on High Street, sponsored by KOWS-FM radio and Preserve Rural Sonoma County. All candidates have been invited. Doors open at 6:30 and the event starts at 7 p.m. Since there is room for only 200 people and this is the most contested local election, people who want to be sure to find a seat might want to arrive early.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-25-2016 at 02:26 PM.

9. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

10. TopTop #66
    riverosprey

Thank you Shepherd...I have retracted the post...

I just am seeing Noreen's campaign resorting early to distortions and mud-slinging, similar to the efforts against Efren in the 2008 campaign, and thought I would give them a taste of what it will be like against them if they don't campaign fairly. I think ultimately what some of the Union supporters call "Meme's" are not fair and will ultimately backfire.

Respect and kind regards to all...

Tom Lynch

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    ...On the other hand, the most recent applicant for the job of 5th District Supervisor, Tom Lynch, has spoken up, in what I would consider to be an attack on the leading candidate, Noreen. ...

11. TopTop #67
    scamperwillow

Tom, give me a break. Give me an example of a personal attack. Specifying who is supporting a campaign is not a personal attack, it is merely fact. I think we need to be done with this mudslinging fantasy and focus on the facts and the issues.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by riverosprey: View Post
    ...I just am seeing Noreen's campaign resorting early to distortions and mud-slinging, ...

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #68
    riverosprey

Thank you Marty, for the clarification. So it's ok to say because someone is endorsed by a realtor group, then they must be in favor of evicting tenants, even though they may not be in favor of tenants evictions, and have better ideas about creating more rentals, is ok.

I think some of my statements and concerns about how Noreen's policies have caused great harm to Sonoma County were fair, but perhaps worded poorly, and appeared to suggest she too were be-holding to a special interest, I.e. the first wave of retiring baby boomers who control County management and unions, at the expense of everyone else.

This may have appeared to be an unfair attack on Noreen's personal skills and abilities, and I apologize to anyone that thought so, I will be more diplomatic in the future with my concerns.

Kind regards
    Tom Lynch

Tom, give me a break. Give me an example of a personal attack. Specifying who is supporting a campaign is not a personal attack, it is merely fact. ...

14. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

15. TopTop #69
    rukiddingme

I am not sure if I will vote for Hopkins, I like what I hear but still need to hear more particularly in implementation but I can guarantee you that I will NEVER vote for Noreen Evans.

The only thing she is interested in is Noreen Evans.

1.In 2009 when CA was in deep financial distress, and the unemployment rate reached over 12%, people losing jobs and losing homes, she boosted her staff's pay by 10% with concerns that they may leave and she wouldn't be able to find help. rukiddingme???

2. PD quote:Evans sparked an outcry in April 2011 when she suggested she would have to resort to hot-air balloons, llamas and other unconventional modes of travel to visit residents of her sprawling North Coast district following a state commission's decision to take away her taxpayer-funded car. In September of the same year she also applied for a seat with the CA Court of Appeal.
    3. In 2013 she announced that she would not seek re-election to the Senate, as it was never her intention to become a career politician and her true love was always advocating for justice in the courtroom. Really??? What is your intention today??

It was amazing how quick she moved to Sebastopol when the 5th district position opened up. She is not the person I want to represent me. Would like to hear more from Lynda on exactly how her goals would be accomplished.

16. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

17. TopTop #70

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rukiddingme: View Post
    I am not sure if I will vote for Hopkins, I like what I hear but still need to hear more particularly in implementation but I can guarantee you that I will NEVER vote for Noreen Evans.

The only thing she is interested in is Noreen Evans.....
    Noreen Evans has worked hard for this County and the North Bay for MANY years. If you wish to disregard all that because of the Press Democrat (who hates her environmental activism) CREATED these negative talking points then by all means do so.

For a lot of voters in the 5th District, actual SUBSTANCE matters. The cliches and trite campaign phrases, balloons and greenwashing which comprise the Business/Real Estate/ Hopkins campaign are not going to fool the 5th District.

https://www.facebook.com/NoreenforSu...3148478994015/
    Last edited by Barry; 03-29-2016 at 09:01 PM.

18. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

19. TopTop #71
    theindependenteye

>>>]And here is something telling:
    >>>>>>She [Evans] said Wednesday she now supports a ban on GMO plants and crops in Sonoma County, saying there’s no proof that altered crops are completely safe and that there’s potential for such material to “invade other farms.”
    >>>In other words, she put her finger to the wind and changed her position accordingly... a very Hillary Clinton / professional politician tactic.

To me, that seems wise. Do we want a representative who's responsive to those she represents, or one who comes in with a rigid, unshakeable agenda? I'm aware that we liberals/leftists/children-of-righteousness desire candidates who've supported every one of our ideas since graduating from diapers, but frankly I'd prefer a representative who knows how the process works. When I had my heart surgery, I actually went to an "establishment" heart surgeon, not a plumber who wanted to try something new.

-Conrad

20. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

21. TopTop #72
    scamperwillow

And again, here is the COMPLETE context of that GMO quote. It makes it clear that she first worked on labeling GMO's and now supports a ban. Nothing about her not supporting a ban before.

"The political veteran in the 5th District race, former state Sen. Noreen Evans, was unsuccessful in a 2014 bid to pass legislation requiring all foods containing genetically modified organisms to be labeled in California. The state’s voters in 2012 narrowly turned down a ballot measure that would have essentially accomplished the same thing.Evans was careful to note back then that her proposed legislation was only about labels, telling fellow lawmakers during a committee hearing that her bill didn’t “ban anything.”

She said Wednesday she now supports a ban on GMO plants and crops in Sonoma County, saying there’s no proof that altered crops are completely safe and that there’s potential for such material to “invade other farms.”

Quote Posted in reply to the post by theindependenteye: View Post
    >>>>>She [Evans] said Wednesday she now supports a ban on GMO plants ...
    Last edited by Barry; 03-29-2016 at 09:03 PM.

22. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

23. TopTop #73
    scamperwillow

Here is a video of Noreen in her own words on why she is running. The video seems to load very slowly here. Click on the little YouTube icon to watch it there where it plays much better.

24. Gratitude expressed by:

25. TopTop #74
    riverosprey

Here is a video of why I'm running for Supervisor:

On the page below you can see more information (and video) about each of issues:

https://tomlynchforsupervisor.com/sonoma-county-issues/

p.s. I challenge all the other candidates to join my friend Supervisor Susan Gorin (fellow Leadership Santa Rosa alumni VIII - 1988) and I, in opting out of the Sonoma County Pension fund (savings of $62000/year). No other elected officials in Sonoma County, city councils, State Assembly or Senate, receive a public retirement benefit. I don't think any elected official should be able to vote on a retirement benefit they themselves receive?
    Last edited by Barry; 04-02-2016 at 10:00 AM.

26. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

27. TopTop #75
    Ernieman

Politics is not an ideal debate form. It has evolved in North American as a peculiar art. Donald Derump has expanded the parameters to dangerous ground. Certainly, politics is not for the faint of heart. It is the language of discourse and discovery.

The adage of"follow the money"( discovery) will show you where the candidate resides more than the discourse itself. Candidate Hopkins is Real Estate PAC, Big Wine, the Alliance (of Development interest) and out-of-district wine dollars. Candidate Evans is labor, organized labor and environmental money. Hopkins apparently has no government experience and is supported by a cadre of Fourth District folks where she recently lived including Big Wine and Supervisor James Gore who himself received a quarter-million dollars of wine industry money. I predict they will share the same Big Wine donors.

Some have thought that yours truly has treated candidate Hopkins unfairly. My best response is to quote President Harry Truman, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!" I followed the money trail. Organic Hopkins must be embarrassed at being compromised by Big Wine. Her voice is less than a whisper on GMOs when she should be a major trumpeter of the ballot measure coming up in Sonoma County.

I wonder where she would come down on the industrialization of agricultural land by Event Centers and the County efforts to open the Coast to these Event Centers. So far she appears to be completely compromised. Some of it is being a green horn I am sure. However, get into bed with big money and this is what happens. Your voice diminishes on the people's desires.

Noreen will stand up to those interest in favor of the people and protect our agricultural land.It is an easy choice given the last newbie we had never met a development he didn't like. Give me the known quantity who shares our values.

Definitions:
    Big Wine is the opposite of family farms, usually corporate,often ego driven,too big for compromise, buys politicians and tries to change the rules, including zoning regulations to their advantage;

Event Center:Imports most of wine juice and has commercial kitchens and package sewage treatment plants in ag land in favor of hoards of people and off sale of alcohol instead of growing grapes.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-04-2016 at 08:57 AM.

28. Gratitude expressed by 10 members:

29. TopTop #76
    maryr45

Alas Garbageman Carpenter has joined his mentor Trump, as he becomes a goon for the out of district garbage companies and union thugs supporting out of district carpetbagger Noreen Evans. Yeah, follow the money Ernie as you go door to door slandering young Lynda Hopkins, with a bunch of union drool fed to you. There’s no fool like an old fool eh?

Nobody but Noreen’s trolls are following this thread anymore, but they make you feel important, huh? Because none of the young voters even know who you are, you are irrelevant Earnie, is that why you've become such a slimey, smiley goofball? Have you noticed but Hopkins and the majority of her supporters don’t come here anymore, you’re talking to a wall Ernie, preaching to the choir, you're irrelevant...enjoy you're feelings of self-importance as more and more lose what little respect they used to have for you.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ernieman: View Post
    Politics is not an ideal debate form. It has evolved in North American as a peculiar art. Donald Derump has expanded the parameters to dangerous ground. Certainly, politics is not for the faint of heart. I...
    Last edited by Barry; 04-04-2016 at 09:01 AM.

30. Gratitude expressed by:

31. TopTop #77
    geomancer

The lady doth protest too much, methinks!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by maryr45: View Post
    Alas Garbageman Carpenter has joined his mentor Trump, as he becomes a goon ...
    Last edited by Barry; 04-04-2016 at 09:02 AM.

32. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

33. TopTop #78
    Ernieman

It's Ernie. Thanks for the lesson in political morality.

Alas Garbageman Carpenter has joined his mentor Trump, ...
    Last edited by Barry; 04-04-2016 at 09:02 AM.

34. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

35. TopTop #79
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by geomancer: View Post
    The lady doth protest too much, methinks!
    yep, nothing like a measured, clear, reasonable argument when trying to win people to your position. I bet Lynda couldn't have hoped for a better endorsement than this one.
    Quote Alas Garbageman Carpenter has joined his mentor Trump, as he becomes a goon for the out of district garbage companies and union thugs supporting out of district carpetbagger Noreen Evans. Yeah, follow the money Ernie as you go door to door slandering young Lynda Hopkins, with a bunch of union drool fed to you. There’s no fool like an old fool eh? Nobody but Noreen’s trolls are following this thread anymore, but they make you feel important, huh? Because none of the young voters even know who you are, you are irrelevant Earnie, is that why you've become such a slimey, smiley goofball? Have you noticed but Hopkins and the majority of her supporters don’t come here anymore, you’re talking to a wall Ernie, preaching to the choir, you're irrelevant...enjoy you're feelings of self-importance as more and more lose what little respect they used to have for you

36. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

37. TopTop #80
    scamperwillow

Barry, I can't believe you picked this disgusting personal attack as Barry's Pick! I have lost all confidence in your judgement. I think this person should have been banned.

Alas Garbageman Carpenter has joined his mentor Trump, as he becomes a goon for the out of district garbage companies and union thugs supporting out of district carpetbagger Noreen Evans. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 04-05-2016 at 08:35 AM.

38. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

39. TopTop #81
    podfish

Barry, I can't believe you picked this disgusting personal attack as Barry's Pick! I have lost all confidence in your judgement. I think this person should have been banned.
    my guess: it showed style and personality. Ernie's a public figure, I'm sure he's had way worse directed his way. I don't think a 'pick' is an endorsement of the ideas...

40. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

41. TopTop #82
    Ernieman

Not exactly laughing out loud but chuckling. Best attack by an Avatar ever!
    Erneman

42. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

43. TopTop #83
    jbox

Yep, ban anyone who is a little frisky, anyone who engages in free speech as long as they disagree with you, Scamperwillow? I called you Noreen's shill, and I stand by that, and I was censored by Barry [I just removed the reference to "shill" ~ Barry] . So you can be happy with that. If Barry bans anyone it should be for a better reason than engaging in free speech. I thought the rant was amusing, as did Ernie.

44. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

45. TopTop #84
    podfish

what's that cliche about free speech? "much as I deplore it, I defend your right to (blah, blah, mid-18th century blah equivalent..)"
    as you say, Ernie's amused by it. Obviously not all posters are so thick-skinned, so the other cliche about 'fire in a crowded theatre' also applies. Or should.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jbox: View Post
    Yep, ban anyone who is a little frisky, anyone who engages in free speech as long as they disagree with you, Scamperwillow? I called you Noreen's shill, and I stand by that, and I was censored by Barry [I just removed the reference to "shill" ~ Barry] . So you can be happy with that. If Barry bans anyone it should be for a better reason than engaging in free speech. I thought the rant was amusing, as did Ernie.

46. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

47. TopTop #85
    rossmen

There are others in the race besides the two "carpetbaggers". Noreen comes across as the high and mighty progressive entitlement queen, you know more the mistakes she's made than me, pension expansion was a huge fu, and she couldn't handle the big game so now she's back to collect local biggest bucks?

Lynda does seem kind of clueless but is she really an etard? That's a big assumption which you are more qualified to make than me, and you made it really early. It's best to judge by action and hers before her hat toss is short and admirable.

Mm has a long record too, but takes a really bad photo, Sargent and the case worker seem like really decent folks, is the job really that complicated? In recent times there have been only a few really contested votes on the board and I remember you as often being a lone dissenter, holding the torch for a county vision much of which has come to fruition. Is your time past ernie? Is the only evolution to become marin? What are the crucial votes coming before the board which matter and where would you stand? I want your wisdom, so I can decide who to vote for, rather than partisan hackery : (
    Last edited by Barry; 04-05-2016 at 08:37 AM.

48. TopTop #86
    Ernieman

Your comments are on point and show understanding. Not sure what Noreen had to do with County pension problems. I have traced that back to a certain decision of a lame duck Board of Supervisor. That for another day.

I am not sure that you will find "wisdom" in this thread. I can tell you what matters to me: land use and the General Plan. The industrialization of agricultural land by Big Wine with Event Centers and the over-concentration of same. There is a tremendous impact on neighborhoods and our lives. Get thee to industrial centers for these restaurant-like features and package sewage treatment plants. So far, Noreen is the only candidate that "gets that" and has spoken in favor of agriculture land for agriculture and not industrial agriculture complexes. This does not include what used to be called a "winery" or the family farm. It is the new marketing concept of thousands of people coming to a winery for food services and how to treat their waste and the traffic.

When you look at the duties of a Supervisor, you manage the budget, the employees including retirement, special districts including sewer and water, fire and safety, and other assignments like being the Coastal Commission appointee or the GG Bridge District. Indeed, one can screw up but there is no screw-up by the Board like a bad land use screw up. (See the so-called Best family winery at Occidental and 116 where the Board handed a developer a few million by upgrading the property. It immediately went on the real estate market). Land use is not reversible like a bad decision on employee contracts for instance. An "employee contract" can be renegotiated either way. The industrial Event Center cannot be reversed. The edifice and impact is with us for ever or until it has to be converted to something else.

My decision is based upon a) known quality and experience b) consistency and most importantly, staying with in the rules and not stretching them to fit more development in agricultural land. The human service element is important. Assume for the argument that all candidates want the same for humans in terms of services, then the election is more about land use and community form. That leads me to experience and shared values. That is why I choose Noreen Evans.That is about as non-hackneyed (hackeried?) as I can be in a short space.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    There are others in the race besides the two "carpetbaggers". Noreen comes across as the high and mighty progressive entitlement queen, you know more the mistakes she's made than me, pension expansion was a huge fu, and she couldn't handle the big game so now she's back to collect local biggest bucks?....

49. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

50. TopTop #87
    scamperwillow

And don't forget they are also the Board of the Water Agency - a really big important job.

...When you look at the duties of a Supervisor, you manage the budget, the employees including retirement, special districts including sewer and water, fire and safety, and other assignments like being the Coastal Commission appointee or the GG Bridge District....
    Last edited by Barry; 04-06-2016 at 11:55 AM.

51. TopTop #88
    Dorothy Friberg

I think that this personal attack is more of the same that was poured on E. Carrillo. Who else will be slimed on these pages?
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    yep, nothing like a measured, clear, reasonable argument when trying to win people to your position. I bet Lynda couldn't have hoped for a better endorsement than this one.

52. Gratitude expressed by:

53. TopTop #89
    heresbruce

In regards this discussion, as a friend would say: "What a clown-show!" Now, who are the clowns, who is the Ringmaster and who are the truly skilled performers?
    Bruce Schmidt in Occidental ( I am consistently appalled by the unsigned messages!)

Not exactly laughing out loud but chuckling. Best attack by an Avatar ever!
    Erneman

54. TopTop #90

There is a well know saying in Spanish " Dime Con Quien Andas y Te Dire Quien Eres" . Loosely translated this means " tell me who you go with and I'll tell you who you are"

Read the PD article and see why some of the Farm to Table organic rhetoric pushed by the Hopkins campaign is in stark contrast to the people who are backing her (including her Republican consultant Rob Muelrath). The real estate development lobby, big money wineries and the Sonoma County Business Alliance don't back green and progressive candidates. They back those who will support their interests. Wake up and smell the Greenwashing

Field set in pivotal 5th District race for Sonoma County Board of Supervisors
    Last edited by Barry; 04-06-2016 at 11:56 AM.