Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shandi

World Wildlife Fund advocates use of recyling "diseased, dying & dead animals in pet food!

From TruthAboutPetFood.com

Friend and fellow pet food consumer advocate Dr. Michael W. Fox provided us his thoughts on the World Wildlife Fund’s recent post on pet food…

The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) has a long history of turning half-truths into fact and missing the larger picture for reasons attributable to short-sightedness or vested interests. Their WWF magazine, Spring 2016 article “What’s the environmental impact of pet food” is illustrative of this organization’s limited perspective. Adhering to the nebulous dictum of sustainability, the article asserts that the increasing public demand for human-grade ingredients in pet foods is wrong-minded environmentally and that cats and dogs should continue to b be fed animal byproducts. Millions of tons of diseased, dying and dead animals and condemned animal parts are recycled into pet foods and livestock and poultry feed, much of which is of questionable nutritive value and poses a significant health risk. But this is highly profitable to the main-stream pet food industry, a subsidiary of the now global agribusiness food industrial complex, which puts companion animals (as well as consumers) at risk when animals are used to recycle such human food industry byproducts.

How much more progressive and visionary for the WWF to address the rising human population and its insatiable demand for meat and other animal produce and promote vegetarianism; and rather than making responsible and informed pet owners feel guilty, advise biologically appropriate, healthful whole food ingredients for companion animals.

Dr. Michael W. Fox
    Dr. Michael W. Fox, author of Healing Animals & the Vision of One Health and co-author of Not Fit for a Dog: The Truth About Manufactured Cat and Dog Food.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    arthunter

Re: World Wildlife Fund advocates use of recyling "diseased, dying & dead animals in pet f

Thank you for shining a light on this ... with all of the controversy over pet food I would spend some time researching techniques to make your own ... you'd probably save a ton of money as well ...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    From TruthAboutPetFood.com

Friend and fellow pet food consumer advocate Dr. Michael W. Fox provided us his thoughts on the World Wildlife Fund’s recent post on pet food…

The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) has a long history of turning half-truths into fact and missing the larger picture for reasons attributable to short-sightedness or vested interests. Their WWF magazine, Spring 2016 article “What’s the environmental impact of pet food” is illustrative of this organization’s limited perspective. Adhering to the nebulous dictum of sustainability, the article asserts that the increasing public demand for human-grade ingredients in pet foods is wrong-minded environmentally and that cats and dogs should continue to b be fed animal byproducts. Millions of tons of diseased, dying and dead animals and condemned animal parts are recycled into pet foods and livestock and poultry feed, much of which is of questionable nutritive value and poses a significant health risk. But this is highly profitable to the main-stream pet food industry, a subsidiary of the now global agribusiness food industrial complex, which puts companion animals (as well as consumers) at risk when animals are used to recycle such human food industry byproducts.

How much more progressive and visionary for the WWF to address the rising human population and its insatiable demand for meat and other animal produce and promote vegetarianism; and rather than making responsible and informed pet owners feel guilty, advise biologically appropriate, healthful whole food ingredients for companion animals.

Dr. Michael W. Fox
    Dr. Michael W. Fox, author of Healing Animals & the Vision of One Health and co-author of Not Fit for a Dog: The Truth About Manufactured Cat and Dog Food.

4. TopTop #3
    Shandi

Re: World Wildlife Fund advocates use of recyling "diseased, dying & dead animals in pet f

Yes, I started feeding Mitzy raw, a couple of years ago. I'd buy ground meat and combine it with a Feline Pre-Mix that included nutrients. She ate it for awhile, then stopped. My research continued, and I noticed that even commercial raw foods were being recalled. I started buying high quality canned food, some she liked and some she didn't. Oh well, the price of research! But then, I discovered a local (Forestville) raw pet food manufacturer that I knew nothing about, called FEED THIS. (an odd name) I read everything I could on their website, and that they also offer nutritional consulting for a fee. I was ready to do this, but decided to just try the food, as I'd done with others. They also deliver, but their minimum amount won't fit in my little freezer space.

They have 4 flavors, all with sardines. I've been giving her turkey, duck, and chicken. She likes it all! Once in awhile I give her organic RadCat raw, but it's twice the price. I defrost the frozen 1lb. container just enough to separate into small serving containers. She eats two of these a day, and it's much cheaper than 2 small cans of high quality food.

The biggest plus is that her constipation stopped within days of feeding raw. I'd been advised by 2 vets that this would be an ongoing health issue. One said "She may have a mechanical problem" and the other said "Give her Lactulose 3-4 times a day"! That was last year in Feb. She also had serious reactions to drugs given by both vets. One was an antibiotic, Baytril, which has caused blindness in pets. The others are Tresaderm and Dexdomitor/Antisedan. No one informed me of the potential side effects. This is common in vet care. We find out the hard way.

I have several books on cat care, but my bible is "Secrets of a Vet Tech" The Guide to Low Cost Pet Care When the Cupboard is Bare.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by arthunter: View Post
    Thank you for shining a light on this ... with all of the controversy over pet food I would spend some time researching techniques to make your own ... you'd probably save a ton of money as well ...

5. Gratitude expressed by: