Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

Scalia Dead! HOORAY !!!!!!!!

One less fascist pig in power:

Scalia Dead!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

3. TopTop #2
    busyb555

Re: Scalia Dead! HOORAY !!!!!!!!

Sad to say that I have suspected you are a dolt. What you just posted is shameful and should have been taken down from this site. I am disappointed Barry did not deal with this, but he probably agrees which makes it ok to do. To disagree is fine to celebrate his death marks you as a disgrace. Shame on you Ed. You see, I can disagree without calling you a name. I am too much a gentleman.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Edward Mendoza: View Post

Scalia Dead!
    Last edited by Barry; 02-15-2016 at 12:42 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

5. TopTop #3
    wisewomn

Listening to music on KPFA this morning. The host announced a song dedicated to Scalia "with all due respect." Then he played "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" as sung by the Munchkins from the soundtrack for "The Wizard of Oz."

One less fascist pig in power
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 02-15-2016 at 12:33 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

7. TopTop #4
    gypsey

Scalia was a reactionary and I disliked his opinions, but the level of vitriol and name-calling ("fascist pig") is unworthy of a grown-up. BTW you might want to read Justice Ginsburg's tribute to her friend...you see, Edward, she actually knew the man both professionally and personally.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg:
    "Toward the end of the opera Scalia/Ginsburg, tenor Scalia and soprano Ginsburg sing a duet: “We are different, we are one,” different in our interpretation of written texts, one in our reverence for the Constitution and the institution we serve. From our years together at the D.C. Circuit, we were best buddies. We disagreed now and then, but when I wrote for the Court and received a Scalia dissent, the opinion ultimately released was notably better than my initial circulation. Justice Scalia nailed all the weak spots—the “applesauce” and “argle bargle”—and gave me just what I needed to strengthen the majority opinion. He was a jurist of captivating brilliance and wit, with a rare talent to make even the most sober judge laugh. The press referred to his “energetic fervor,” “astringent intellect,” “peppery prose,” “acumen,” and “affability,” all apt descriptions. He was eminently quotable, his pungent opinions so clearly stated that his words never slipped from the reader’s grasp.

Justice Scalia once described as the peak of his days on the bench an evening at the Opera Ball when he joined two Washington National Opera tenors at the piano for a medley of songs. He called it the famous Three Tenors performance. He was, indeed, a magnificent performer. It was my great good fortune to have known him as working colleague and treasured friend."
    One less fascist pig in power

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #5
    Valley Oak

I'm aware of Ginsburg's feelings towards Scalia. That does not mean that I am obligated to love that unapologetic homophobe. I despise that hateful man who persecuted me and millions of others like me my entire 54 years of life. Thanks to him and many others like him in power I have suffered many discriminations and humiliations throughout my life.

I have no admiration whatsoever for that bigot. He hated me and I hated him. Period. I am not going to apologize for saying the truth about a man who spat on me and millions of others simply because of our sexual orientation. He deserves no respect from me and if you and others cannot live with that then so be it; I've had to live with a great deal worse for over half a century.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gypsey: View Post
    ...Scalia was a reactionary and I disliked his opinions, but the level of vitriol and name-calling ("fascist pig") is unworthy of a grown-up. BTW you might want to read Justice Ginsburg's tribute to her friend...you see, Edward, she actually knew the man both professionally and personally...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 02-16-2016 at 02:33 PM.

10. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

11. TopTop #6
    Sandy2y

He was not only homophobic, he was a woman hater. I celebrated as soon as I heard the news. We don't need people in control who serve to make our lives worse. Name calling is not the issue. His behavior caused misery to so many, that the respect I'm reading about him smacks of nonsense. How can I respect someone that never respected others? He and Thomas should be weaving baskets....not having power over others who are poor, of color, and on and on.

I'm aware of Ginsburg's feelings towards Scalia. That does not mean that I am obligated to love that unapologetic homophobe...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 02-16-2016 at 02:34 PM.

12. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

13. TopTop #7
    Valley Oak

Warning: Your head will explode if you watch this video about Scalia:

Here is the opinion of an African-American man, Tim Black:

Last edited by Bella Stolz; 02-16-2016 at 02:35 PM.

14. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

15. TopTop #8
    BobHeisler

Just hope the A-holes in Congress don't block every nomination Obama makes for his replacement.

Scalia Dead!

16. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

17. TopTop #9
    busyb555

Ah, the brain trust at KPFA. Just another hate filled group that I see making war on everything good. They have fostered things like Black Lives Matter, the NFL half time celebrating harm to our much needed law enforcement, and lets not forget our old girl Hillary. That a guy like Bernie could get anyone to even take him serious. Yes, I think you all have added so much to the country. Sad to say, I expect once you finally see the outcome of your friends antics, I predict it will be too late.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wisewomn: View Post
    Listening to music on KPFA this morning. The host announced a song dedicated to Scalia "with all due respect." Then he played "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" as sung by the Munchkins from the soundtrack for "The Wizard of Oz."

18. Gratitude expressed by:

19. TopTop #10
    djinthecountry

It's nice to know someone out there has it right, thank you busyb555! Where does their hate come from? To cheer someone's death because you don't like their policy or position is downright appalling and Barry should step up and not encourage the hate.
    Our country has taken a racial divide under this administration instead of making things better, he fuels the fire for the Black Lives Matter, openly siding with victims. Not backing our police officers has encouraged the violent protests, closing down freeways, destroying business', creating havoc in cities costing hundreds of thousands in damages, our country has suffered and all this under our first black president. No wonder the respect for others is gone, apparent from these posts.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 02-16-2016 at 02:44 PM.

20. TopTop #11
    Valley Oak

Here Are Some Of Antonin Scalia’s Most Controversial Remarks

The late Supreme Court justice didn’t shy away from incendiary rhetoric.

The biting, borderline prejudiced commentary of former Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, who died Saturday, earned him the disdain of many progressives.

1. He compared laws banning homosexual behavior to laws prohibiting bestiality -- or murder.

2. He compared Arizona's immigration law to states' right to forbid bank robbery -- or to exclude freed black people during the era of slavery.

"[T]he States enacted numerous laws restricting the immigration of certain classes of aliens, including convicted criminals, indigents, persons with contagious diseases, and (in Southern States) freed blacks."

3. He insinuated that black people should be in "slower-track" colleges.

Finish reading the article through the link above.

21. Gratitude expressed by:

22. TopTop #12
    Valley Oak

In honor of "justice" Scalia:

23. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

24. TopTop #13
    Valley Oak

Scalia Death Could Shift Key Cases This Term

Let's not gloss over the disastrous church-state jurisprudence of the late U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, a borderline theocrat who allowed his fierce Catholicism to drive his decision-making. His death, and the irresponsible vow from the GOP-controlled Senate to block any nominee made by President Barack Obama, means the 2016 American presidential election just got even more consequential. We have a series of pieces that take a look at the church-state cases that will be impacted by Scalia's absence and a reminder that Scalia was no "originalist".

Justice Antonin Scalia's death will have immediate consequences and could change the outcome of church-state cases on abortion, health care and government financial support for churches. Religion News Service sizes up how Scalia's faith influenced his judicial tenure and CFI President Ron Lindsay lays out the truth: Scalia was no "originalist", rather he hid behind this label to give a veneer of credibility to his retrograde legal thinking.

25. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

26. TopTop #14
    BobHeisler

I was originally elated at the death of Justice Scalia because I believe he had a horrible impact on the Supreme Court. Reality set in after hearing Mitch McConnell pull his usual bullshit by vowing not only to block any nomination Obama makes, but even to refuse to hold hearings until after the 2016 election.

The only way a shift in power on the Supreme Court would occur is if we get another Democrat in the White House, hopefully Bernie, and the Democratic party wages a strong grass roots effort to shift the balance in both houses of Congress in favor of Democrats again.

27. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

28. TopTop #15
    Dixon

Busyb555, you say:
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by busyb555: View Post
    Sad to say that I have suspected you are a dolt.
    ...then you say:
    Quote ...to celebrate his death marks you as a disgrace.
    ...then, in virtually the next breath, you say:
    Quote You see, I can disagree without calling you a name.

29. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

30. TopTop #16
    Shandi

Good catch, Dixon!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    Busyb555, you say:

...then you say:

...then, in virtually the next breath, you say:

31. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

32. TopTop #17
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by BobHeisler: View Post
    ...The only way a shift in power on the Supreme Court would occur is if we get another Democrat in the White House, hopefully Bernie, and the Democratic party wages a strong grass roots effort to shift the balance in both houses of Congress in favor of Democrats again.
    not the only way.. it'd just be simpler. Even then, reality has often intruded. The list of presidents who were surprised by the actions of their appointees is pretty long. Justices are independent once they're in, and often don't make decisions the way their sponsors expected. Of course, if you think that everything's controlled behind the scenes, then you can modify my observation to: they don't reveal their real agendas until they've been appointed.

33. Gratitude expressed by:

34. TopTop #18
    pixeeenation

i am so happy when others speak how they REALLY feel ...personally i am SO over all those who keep the lies going..that we are so happy living under draconian "law" more like rules from the "kingdom of the vile overlord" i sadly agree that when monsters move on it is a relief. ; though i wish i did not have to be in that truth...these ghouls are NOT good for Life real Life decent Life ..so YES GOOD RIDDANCE ..when anyone tries to harm large numbers of Life they are NOT our Friends AT ALL...sadly this cretin was not a good one ..it is terribly sad when these vile monsters push their horrifying RULES on to others at the expense of our future..i Pray with ALL my Heart every morning that more will wake up to THE TRUTH that a few of perverted monsters DICTATE our Lives with NO real Heart of consequence beyond their tyrannical control of selfish pride/ego mania..WE can ABSOLUTELY NO LONGER afford to say "just THINK positive thoughts" and be SO "forgiving" even as they slaughter our Children's & Our Right to Live Healthful & Productive Lives i always say "i am NOT a "God" NOR do i want to be; it is NOT up to me to forgive those that have done horrible things that effect so many in such NON sustainable ways AND are not EVEN apologetic in ANY real way" i think it is THE height of arrogance when others say "to forgive is divine" ..every SINGLE TIME i forgave someone that was NOT TRULY sorry it bit me HARD back...i am super forgiving when someone has harmed me now ONLY if they even attempt to make a sincere amendment otherwise guess what they MOSTLY NEVER learn..so i refuse to ENABLE anyone that acts in vile ways..and this one "scalia". was one that truly needed to learn & since apparently never did ..i will have to agree ..just another monster gone...there are PLENTY of GOOD Hearts that have suffered under these monsters so i say Bless the Good Ones protect the Good Ones & bye bye to those that need to move to "ghoul island" a place they can ALL rule over one another...We need to be realistic our World is very much under attack from these greedy selfish perverted monsters & they have gotten WAY out of hand because WE have given our strong Hearts to the LIE that if "we don't give it any real energy it will get better" ..that obviously does NOT seem to work..if we keep up with our apathy our World as we know it will be devoured by these monsters..Trust as soon as they make the "perfect" robot that can do ALL of our jobs they WILL get rid of the "working class" ...we have NO more time to waste ..our Lives are here NOW & everything is under attack for their selfish sickness ..we must do what Nature does get rid of the things that harm us ...when they go naturally it would seem for their own good isn't it.don't MOST of them want to go to "Heaven" anyhow..so .."i say GO to "heaven" NOW so we can TRULY care 4 the Earth" because without CLEAN WATER CLEAN AIR CLEAN EARTH we are dead....Bless the World...

Scalia Dead!

35. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

36. TopTop #19
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pixeeenation: View Post
    i am so happy when others speak how they REALLY feel.
    a trump fan, eh?

37. TopTop #20
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by busyb555: View Post
    Ah, the brain trust at KPFA. Just another hate filled group that I see making war on everything good.
    Busyb555, I'm unclear on the "good" things you see "the brain trust at KPFA" making war on. Are you referring to the Gawd-given right of cops to beat, frame or shoot people illegally with impunity, or...?

Quote They have fostered things like Black Lives Matter...
    What exactly is your problem with Black Lives Matter?

38. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

39. TopTop #21
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by djinthecountry: View Post
    Our country has taken a racial divide under this administration...
    No, our country has just become more aware of a racial divide that has always existed (which should come as no surprise in a country founded on the twin pillars of genocide and slavery). It seems that you're upset that the fundamental racism of our country, along with the police "open season" on black and brown folks, has been focused on. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect you're more comfortable with a society in which police can "keep the niggers down" with harassment, profiling, beating, framing and killing people, disproportionately black and brown folks, without accountability for their crimes.

Quote ...instead of making things better, he fuels the fire for the Black Lives Matter,
    What exactly is your problem with Black Lives Matter?

Quote ...openly siding with victims.
    We shouldn't side with victims? Who do you side with--the victimizers?

Quote Not backing our police officers...
    I back cops when they do the right thing--protecting us from robbers, rapists, murderers, etc. I oppose them when they enforce oppressive laws like lifestyle laws, when they go after poor and middle-class folks while letting the ruling class get away with murder, and when they disproportionately target minority groups in ways that cannot be justified in terms of those people's behavior. Assault and battery, murder, etc. are crimes regardless of whether they're committed by uniformed cops or anyone else. Are you "soft on crime" as long as the criminals are cops?

Quote ...has encouraged the violent protests, closing down freeways, destroying business', creating havoc in cities costing hundreds of thousands in damages...
    I cannot endorse all manifestations of protest. But I see no recognition from you that these protests are a response to horrendous crimes--up to and including murder--perpetrated on a daily basis by the "justice" system. If you're against all the things you mentioned, what is your alternative plan for addressing the endemic racism, brutality and corruption in our "justice" system, including the depredations of cops?

Quote ...our country has suffered and all this under our first black president.
    The behaviors you complain about are themselves responses to the huge suffering--often at the hands of police--of large segments of our population. Thus far in this conversation you have shown zero concern about that suffering.

Quote No wonder the respect for others is gone, apparent from these posts.
    "Respect for others"? Wouldn't that include treating people equally regardless of their race, gender, sexual orientation, etc? Your hero Scalia was notably and publicly deficient in that area. Are you? And wouldn't respect for others also include appropriately punishing cops when they illegally violate others? Keep in mind that, to the extent that cops are exempt from the law, we live in what's called a "police state".
    Last edited by Dixon; 02-18-2016 at 04:17 PM. Reason: spelling correction

40. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

41. TopTop #22
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by pixeeenation: View Post
    ...bye bye to those that need to move to "ghoul island" a place they can ALL rule over one another...
    Pink Floyd's Roger Waters agrees with you on this idea. Here are his lyrics for "The Fletcher Memorial Home" (his version of your "ghoul island"). Feel free to replace the names he mentions with more current ones.

The Fletcher Memorial Home

Take all your overgrown infants away somewhere
    and build them a home, a little place of their own--
    the Fletcher Memorial Home for incurable tyrants and kings
    and they can appear to themselves every day on closed circuit t.v.
    to make sure they're still real
    It's the only connection they feel.
    "Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Reagan and Haig,
    Mr. Begin and friend, Mrs. Thatcher and Paisley,
    Mr. Brezhnev and party,
    the ghost of McCarthy,
    the memories of Nixon,
    and now, adding colour,
    a group of anonymous Latin American meat packing glitterati"
    Did they expect us to treat them with any respect?
    They can polish their medals and sharpen their smiles,
    and amuse themselves playing games for a while.
    "Boom boom, bang bang, lie down, you're dead"
    Safe in the permanent gaze of a cold glass eye
    with their favourite toys
    they'll be good girls and boys
    in the Fletcher Memorial Home for colonial wasters of life and limb.
    Is everyone in?
    Are you having a nice time?
    Now the final solution can be applied.

42. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

43. TopTop #23
    podfish

Where does their hate come from? To cheer someone's death because you don't like their policy or position is downright appalling...
    Our country has taken a racial divide under this administration instead of making things better, he fuels the fire for the Black Lives Matter, openly siding with victims. Not backing our police officers has encouraged the violent protests, closing down freeways, destroying business', creating havoc in cities costing hundreds of thousands in damages, our country has suffered and all this under our first black president. No wonder the respect for others is gone, apparent from these posts.
    ok, to pile on with Dixon... actually, though, this isn't intended as that. You're the poor unfortunate who gets to stand in for the huge number of Americans who seem to feel like you do, 'cuz you're right here in front of us.

I mean this sincerely, too. Do you really believe that the racial divide has been made worse by Obama or is worse now than it's been in previous years? And if you do, are you considering the OJ/RodneyKing/PattyHearst/GeoWallace eras? Does it really seem to you that those who are rallying under the movement "Black Lives Matter" should instead realize they have as much opportunity to fully participate in our society and economy as any non-minority person does?
    And even more, is your respect for authority so strong that you feel that serious criticism of police is a problem? Or do you feel that way, but for another reason?
    Do you also really believe that if violence is associated with protests, the protests should stop? Do you think most protesters ARE violent, or are you cool with the idea that even a small violent element is enough to taint the cause?

To me, it's obvious that the police, having been given a monopoly on violence within our borders, need to be extremely careful to not abuse it and need to be severely regulated. It's also obvious that minorities in this country have far less of what's now called 'privilege' - they're unable to take for granted that they are considered 'normal', and often draw unwanted extra attention. I believe their stories of being watched closely in retailers, or drawing extra attention when driving. Don't you? or don't you think it's a big deal?

Clearly the above observations aren't obvious to you, or you don't draw the same conclusions from them. How do you see it differently?? (btw, I'm with you that it's unseemly to rejoice in someone's death)

44. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

45. TopTop #24
    pixeee nation

That is a "cute" quote..HOWEVER that quote has nothing to do with reality..in private situations that DO NOT effect tons of other Human Beings yes "we can agree to disagree" so adorable ...NOT in this case ..MANY others were directly effected by that "man"...and they have a "constitutional right" to say what they feel..it is not disrespectful in this case..WHY? Because the monster was a public person that our tax dollars paid for to make good decisions based on LOGIC NOT some emotional garbage based on irrational fears..i do NOT pay anyone to make those idiot kinds of "decisions" that effect thousands of OTHER Human Beings...it is so silly to compare "we can agree to disagree" because guess what ..WE SHOULDN'T when it comes to extremely important choices that effect us ALL.. personally i have VERY little respect for draconian "law" anyhow; because i have Mexican/Hopi/Kiowa/Tewa/Irish/Scott/Iriquios Ancestry ...my Ancestors were raped , beaten , tortured & stolen from with that "law" of the vile dragon...and besides "life & liberty for ALL" is such a lie to begin with...How can we truly FIX anything as long as we as a whole deny THE TRUTH..my Beloved Mother was forced to attend "american Indian boarding school" and it was complete hell ; they tortured those Children so much that She ran away when She was only 8 years of age...scrubbed them till they Bled with kerosene & HARD floor brushes..so when i say we MUST speak the Truth..in order to truly be "free" we NO longer have ANY time for nonsense for babylonia FOR lies OR for any monsters that pretend they care about us as a whole...it is not like someone killed the guy..it was his time ; however we have the right to say good riddance whew he is finally gone..too bad more like him don't go on there own..i always say to those that are uber "religious" ; You have every right to feel or believe in anything You like AS long as it does NOT harm another..for those that have a religion (i am personal about mine in that i know there is Creation i do not have the audacity to personally address my Imortal Beloved but hey that's is just my little ol opinion) isn't it true that what You LOVE most is the fact that when You die You are given the Gift of going to Heaven for all eternity to be with Your God? So for him i would think he would be happy and anyone wishing him that gift too should able to do so without You & others criticizing..i think that "go to Heaven now & leave the Earth for us to care for" is very appropriate ...Bless ALL the World

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gypsey: View Post
    Scalia was a reactionary and I disliked his opinions, but the level of vitriol and name-calling ("fascist pig") is unworthy of a grown-up. BTW you might want to read Justice Ginsburg's tribute to her friend...you see, Edward, she actually knew the man both professionally and personally.

46. Gratitude expressed by:

47. TopTop #25
    Valley Oak

Scalia's death could change court on abortion, race, climate
    Cases on the docket could alter American life on many issues.
    By POLITICO PRO STAFF 02/13/16

Justice Antonin Scalia’s death could change the course of history on the contentious social and legal issues pending before the Supreme Court this term, especially in closely divided cases where he was expected to serve as a lynchpin of a conservative majority.

In cases where the eight remaining justices are evenly divided, appeals court rulings would be left to stand, but no precedent would be set for future cases. The justices could also hold cases and leave stays of lower court rulings in place, while awaiting confirmation of a new justice, but it’s unclear if they would do so for nearly a year if the Senate refuses to consider any nominee while President Barack Obama is in office.

Here are policy areas that hang in the balance:

Abortion:
    Many Texas abortion clinics could close, an outcome that may have happened anyway with Scalia on the court.

Health care:
    Religious nonprofits, including charities, schools, colleges and hospitals, may have to live with the decisions of seven appeals courts, which ruled against their challenge to the Affordable Care Act’s contraceptive mandate.

Unions:
    Public sector-unions may get a reprieve.

Affirmative action:
    The use of affirmative action in college admissions could survive a challenge.

Separation of church and state:
    Religious schools could continue to be denied publicly funded grants.

Climate change:
    Obama’s Clean Power Plan could be in the hands of the D.C. Circuit Court.

Immigration:
    Scalia’s death might not have a big impact on one of the most significant cases the court has agreed to take up: a challenge to Obama’s latest round of executive actions on immigration. That case is expected to be argued in April.

However, Scalia’s absence from the court would likely prevent a definitive, precedential ruling against presidential authority to make moves similar to Obama’s. A similar effort by a future president could be re-litigated, presumably reaching the court once Scalia’s replacement is in place.

Read more: https://www.politico.com/story/2016/...#ixzz40a5lqp00

48. Gratitude expressed by:

49. TopTop #26
    pixeee nation

he was NOT just a regular hate monger he CREATED heavy handed jurisdiction OVER ALL of us "citizens" ..so that makes him a public target ..so when he dies it is THE RIGHT of anyone he has harmed to speak their TRUTH..when are people like you going to understand people that are directly imposing their small minded racist sexist hateful emotions their PERVERSION on to others is wrong in a HUGE way...this is why the nazi mentality took over Germany because its citizens became uber passive then a insane person led them down the hole of perversion...so YES others have the right to say they are happy that at least one of the monsters is GONE for good.....Expression of TRUTH is THE most important tool we can use to make sure nazi insanity does NOT take over again...the man was a blowhard who allowed his diabolical insane emotions to take over....i say to "people" like him "go to Heaven now so we can take care of the Earth in Good Ways" ...HE WAS THE JUDGE of hellish thought...TRUTH is hard sometimes HOWEVER it must be said..Bless The World.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-19-2016 at 01:14 PM.

50. Gratitude expressed by:

51. TopTop #27
    Valley Oak

How it should have ended with Scalia:

52. Gratitude expressed by:

53. TopTop #28
    Jim Wilson

I decided to delete my post as I don't think it will contribute to the discussion. Apologies if any offence was taken.

Best wishes.

54. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

55. TopTop #29
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Jim Wilson: View Post
    Consider that when Ruth Bader Ginsburg passes away there will be some on the right who will feel just as gleeful, and feel just as celebratory, as those who are celebrating the passing of Antonin Scalia...
    On the other hand, those on the right often feel that Ginsberg is wrong, and they feel just as intensely about this as those on this thread feel about Scalia.
    With all due respect, Jim--drawing an equivalence between Scalia and Ginsburg makes as much sense as saying that creationism deserves respect equal to evolution because lots of people believe in it. Scalia, way more than Ginsburg, had values that can objectively, accurately be described as bigoted and oppressive, and made many millions suffer. Ginsburg, not so much. It's easy for those of us who aren't members of Scalia's main targeted groups, such as gays and nonwhites, and have therefore suffered less from his actions, to see people's outpouring of rage as too harsh. But Scalia was a vicious bigot, and being dead doesn't change that fact. I disagree with those who say we shouldn't speak ill of the dead. Instead, I suggest that we are all responsible to comport ourselves in such a way that no one who is honest can vilify us. One factor that emboldens people with power to be oppressive is that they know that after they die, their vile legacies will be whitewashed. I agree that demonizing those we disagree with is problematical, but I would define "demonizing" as slandering people with falsehoods or even unfair, unbalanced assessments of them. I wouldn't call accurate characterizations of people demonization--that's called "just deserts"--the natural consequences of their behavior.

56. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

57. TopTop #30
    pixeee nation

You sadly MISS THE POINT...YES we cheer his natural death BECAUSE HIS RACIST SEXIST GARBAGE EFFECTS MANY OTHER LIVES.in a very REAL horrifying way...it is not just a release of PENT up frustration like we are letting out (for it to NOT sicken us when we allow things to simmer inside ourselves) that "man" made horrific decisions that made MANY OTHERS SUFFER in REALITY in REAL LIFE ; and yet just because You or ANYONE ELSE claims to "personally know his "good" side" DOES NOT MATTER AT ALL!!!! Yes other GOOD HUMAN BEINGS BLOCK ROADS & PROTEST monsters as he BECAUSE THEY SHOULD PROTEST ANYTHING THAT IS INHUMANE!!! WE ALL should be protesting racism, sexism & perversion ..draconion "law" IS SICK TWISTED & DISGUSTING & anyone that has the audacity to defend any monster deserves to go TOO..go to your twisted "heaven" go be together WE WILL NOT STOP YOU enjoy being with other racist bigot sexist monsters be together forever just LEAVE ALREADY...WE have EVERY right to be angry...take your pious HYPOCRISY & go...one more thing i gladly PAY tax dollars IF it was ONLY supporting protesters RIGHTS to speak out against tyranny sadly taxes MOSTLY go to perversion of war & other sick draconion "law" enforcement....grow a Brain ...it might help ...

It's nice to know someone out there has it right, thank you busyb555! Where does their hate come from? To cheer someone's death because you don't like their policy or position is downright appalling and Barry should step up and not encourage the hate.

58. Gratitude expressed by: