Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    arthunter

Good News Category?

In this time of national and international challenge, I'm wondering if we could have a "Good News" category? ... progress is being made in several key areas and it's important to acknowledge that ... here's an example ...

https://yournewswire.com/west-coast-...soning-claims/
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: Good News Category?

I like this idea, and hope that other members do too. Good news gives us hope, and we can all use that! Although in the political arena, what some consider "good news" might not be viewed by everyone that way.

Your example with Monsanto is good news to many of us.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by arthunter: View Post
    In this time of national and international challenge, I'm wondering if we could have a "Good News" category? ... progress is being made in several key areas and it's important to acknowledge that ... here's an example ...

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #3
    wisewomn

Did you read the entire article, arthunter? It's actually pretty dispiriting. Reparations are not being made to injured parties, just token amounts paid to (often corrupt) local governments to help deal with the environmental cleanups.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    Shandi

I read the entire article, and what you say is true. Token reparations coming from corrupt companies may not make a big difference, but I'm hoping that it may force even a small effect on environmental cleanups. The other part is that people will see that even a huge corrupt company can be sued, and that gives us hope. I believe that even "false" hope raises our vibration, which can then help to attract more of what our heart desires. Hopelessness rarely leads to positive change, because it keeps us stuck in a feeling that may often lead to despair, which is the lowest rung on the ladder of feelings.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wisewomn: View Post
    Did you read the entire article, arthunter? It's actually pretty dispiriting. Reparations are not being made to injured parties, just token amounts paid to (often corrupt) local governments to help deal with the environmental cleanups.

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #5
    arthunter

Exactly ... I find this a positive story because people are taking action and exposing negligence ... in this corporate world that we're living in we think that we are powerless ... we are not ... are there problems in our judicial system? ... you betcha ... but public lawsuits like this are a beginning and shine a light on dangerous corporate policies which are poisoning our planet ...

Here's some more good news .... kudos to the French ....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a6855371.html

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    I... believe that even "false" hope raises our vibration, which can then help to attract more of what our heart desires. Hopelessness rarely leads to positive change, because it keeps us stuck in a feeling that may often lead to despair, which is the lowest rung on the ladder of feelings.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-07-2016 at 01:08 PM.

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #6
    joloseb

In this time of national and international challenge, I'm wondering if we could have a "Good News" category? ... progress is being made in several key areas and it's important to acknowledge that ... here's an example ... https://yournewswire.com/west-coast-cities-in-us-sue-monsanto-over-poisoning-claims/
    Well, here's some...
    https://www.gmwatch.org/news/latest-...atent-seed-law
    And in the Hague: https://ecowatch.com/2015/12/07/monsanto-put-on-trial/
    ...good news from december (in case missed) along those lines

12. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

13. TopTop #7
    Shandi

It's about perception. Glass half empty or half full? Like the blind men and the elephant; we can only perceive from our own position. If we're thirsty, and are handed a half glass of water, will we complain because it's not full?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wisewomn: View Post

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #8
    wisewomn

If you want unequivocal good news, go here: https://www.yesmagazine.org

It's about perception. Glass half empty or half full? Like the blind men and the elephant; we can only perceive from our own position. If we're thirsty, and are handed a half glass of water, will we complain because it's not full?

16. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

17. TopTop #9
    arthunter

Whether or not you think this is "good news" depends on your knowledge and political leanings ... as I've stated before, I no longer subscribe to political labels such as left/right because I think that they divide and disable us ... call me a "Constitutional extremist" but we do have a Constitution in this country and it's good to see law enforcement acknowledge and discuss that, .... and not all environmental movements are based in truth and concern for our earth ( see https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ie=UTF8&btkr=1 ) ...

If we wish to change the Constitution then the people should be involved in that decision ... kudos to these brave men who have taken their oath seriously ... at the very least, the stance that they have taken should be openly discussed by the citizens of this country ...

https://www.teaparty.org/constitutio...-obama-142640/

18. Gratitude expressed by:

19. TopTop #10
    Shepherd

I think that some "good news" is a good idea. However, there is another concept that I would enter here--"perilous optimism." I learned it from Richard Heinberg of the Post-Carbon Institute. I will be interviewing him next Monday, Feb. 15, on my KOWS-FM radio program, 5-6 p.m. You can hear it at www.kows.fm. An example of "perilous optimism" would be the Jews who stayed in Europe as the holocaust approached. Those who recognized the "bad news" left, and survived.

My own personal experience with perilous optimism was when I resigned my commission in the U.S. Army during the American War on Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. Then I moved to Chile when it elected Dr. Salvador Allende as president. We had events of over 250,000 people in the streets of Santiago. Meanwhile, the fascists were plotting. They killed Pres. Allende and many others.

Might we be approaching such times here in the fall of the American Empire? I do not know. But beware entertaining only "good news," and ignoring reality. If we were to have a Pres. Trump, what might that mean?

Whether or not you think this is "good news" depends on your knowledge and political leanings ...

20. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

21. TopTop #11
    arthunter

Thank you Shepherd, ... good points ....

The purpose of this exercise is to focus on the power that we DO have to protect ourselves and bring about change ... this is not a suggestion that we ignore other dangers which might be present in our world ... I am very concerned about the future of our country and many have already left ... however, not everyone can leave so what then? ... it does no good to sit around and assume that we're powerless, because if we truly overcome the propaganda, the insignificant distractions and the "divide and conquer" BS, then we're not ....

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    I think that some "good news" is a good idea. However, there is another concept that I would enter here--"perilous optimism."...

22. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

23. TopTop #12
    joloseb

When we see examples of horrible things being unacceptable, and yet being revealed and resisted, or even small victories over them, that's progress... and inspiration that there are more people out there that care and are trying to do something about it... no matter how much defeatism and hopelessness we may perceive around us or in the media focus.

We know there's so much spin to make us think we are alone and powerless, which isn't true. Examples of good news show that, and encourage us to resist peer-pressure to give up. Let us continue in solidarity with others we have affinity with in good works for the long haul. Thanks for all your efforts.
    Here's some good news about the 'oil train pipeline' & fossil fuel business as usual in CA San Louis Obispo being resisted: https://www.sierraclub.org/planet/2016/02/victory-phillips-66-crude-rail-hearing
    Last edited by Barry; 02-12-2016 at 05:20 PM.

24. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

25. TopTop #13
    arthunter

More good news ... good work California ...

https://www.hlfteam.com/monsanto-stu...ancer-causing/

26. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

27. TopTop #14
    Shepherd

This is indeed good news and a good use of this thread. My appreciation to arthunter. We could benefit from more such good news.

More good news ... good work California ...

https://www.hlfteam.com/monsanto-stu...ancer-causing/

28. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

29. TopTop #15
    Shandi

More good news from California. (This may not be considered good news by those addicted to the convenience of buying water in plastic bottles.) San Francisco bans the sale of plastic water bottles! This is a huge step in curbing plastic pollution.

San Francisco Becomes First City To Ban The Sale Of Plastic Bottles

February 12, 2016 General, Health
    Plastic pollution is one of the greatest burdens to the environment. Believe it or not, enough plastic is discarded every year to circle the globe four times. Even worse, it is estimated that 50% of the plastic on this planet is used only once before being thrown away.

To curb the issue of plastic pollution, the city of San Francisco has just done something monumental: it has become the first in America to ban the sale of plastic water bottles.

The move is building a global movement to reduce the huge amount of waste from the billion-dollar plastic bottle industry which is taking a toll on the environment.
    Over the next four years, the ban will phase out the sales of plastic water bottles that hold 21 ounces or less in public spaces. A waiver is permissible if an adequate alternative water source is not available, reports GlobalFlare.

Think Outside the Bottle campaign, a national effort that encourages restrictions of the “eco-unfriendly product,” was one of the largest supporters of the proposal.
    While the San Francisco ban is less strict than the full prohibitions passed in 14 national parks and a number of universities in Concord, Massachusetts, it is a step in the right direction.
    Those who violate the ban could face fines of up to $1,000. That’s certainly an incentive to invest in a reusable glass bottle.
    The ban is “another step forward on our zero-waste goal,” said Joshua Arce, the chairman of the Commission on the Environment. “We had big public events for decades without plastic bottles and we’ll do fine without them again.”
    This isn’t the first effort by the city to curb plastic pollution. In the past, San Francisco banned plastic bags and plastic foam containers.
    By 2020, the city aims to have no waste going to its landfill. Its diversion rate now stands at 80%.

30. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

31. TopTop #16
    Shepherd

Once again, SF leads. Go away plastic bottles! Fossil fuels are what they are made of. My bee keeper refuses to use plastic bottles, because they can contaminate the honey and worsen its tastes. I must admit that it is hard to do without those plastic bottles, since they are everywhere. Go SF! We are proud of you. A better life requires sacrifices of what is easiest and most convenient.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-13-2016 at 05:00 PM.

32. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

33. TopTop #17
    joloseb

Brand New Boycott!... Boycott Brand New!!

34. TopTop #18
    Shandi

Please explain....so many perceptions to choose from. The band "Brand New"? Anything brand new?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by joloseb: View Post
    Brand New Boycott!... Boycott Brand New!!

35. TopTop #19
    joloseb

Well I don't know about some band or whatever... but those bottles, and all the megatons of crapola overproduction/consumption. Seems like we have more than enough already of 'throw-away culture' junk without having to buy more of it to be happy enough to live. I think it's great news for SF and the rubbish glut.

36. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

37. TopTop #20
    arthunter

Two weeks ago I had a conversation with a FBI agent in LA about corruption ... he told me to expect arrests soon ... I didn't believe him ...

Maybe he was right ....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ption-charges/

38. Gratitude expressed by:

39. TopTop #21
    Shandi

It does make me wonder about criminal activity in "city councils" anywhere, USA. I know a few cities in Sonoma County are suspect.

Two weeks ago I had a conversation with a FBI agent in LA about corruption ... he told me to expect arrests soon ... I didn't believe him ...

Maybe he was right ....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ption-charges/

40. TopTop #22
    arthunter

This story proves that not everyone in a position of power can be bought ... it's important to realize that ... yes, we do have honest government and law enforcement, good people who take their oath to serve the public seriously ... let's hope that it's a trend ....

It does make me wonder about criminal activity in "city councils" anywhere, USA. I know a few cities in Sonoma County are suspect.

41. TopTop #23
    sharingwisdom

I wonder when the FBI will start arresting themselves and members of congress who take kick backs. I look forward to this possibility

Two weeks ago I had a conversation with a FBI agent in LA about corruption ... he told me to expect arrests soon ...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 02-15-2016 at 12:50 PM.

42. TopTop #24
    Glia

hmmmm.... like the city that you live in?

43. TopTop #25
    Shandi

Yes, I believe that many city officials of Rohnert Park, Cotati, Santa Rosa, and possibly Sebastopol are dishonest, as a matter of fact. I wont go into details, but the spot light is on the Santa Rosa City Council and the Court House Square project. It seems to go with the territory of being in a power position over the average citizens whose time is so tied to surviving, that they have no time or interest in decisions being made with their tax money. As we've already seen, protesting or opposing an action at a council meeting is usually ignored, and really not a realistic of the agenda.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Glia: View Post
    hmmmm.... like the city that you live in?
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 02-15-2016 at 12:37 PM.

44. Gratitude expressed by:

45. TopTop #26
    Shepherd

I live in the Sebastopol countryside. I feel as if the Board of Supervisors are seriously compromised. As for the Sebastopol City Council, I feel we have the best council we have had in my 24 years here. I do not always agree with each of them. Yet I feel that the most conservative of them acts on the basis of clear, honest values, and represents an important constituency. Citizens can make a difference in Sebastopol. A big problem here is that it has gotten too expensive to rent or buy a place to live, which is not "good news."
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 02-15-2016 at 12:38 PM.

46. Gratitude expressed by:

47. TopTop #27
    Shandi

It's great to know that the Sebastopol City Council is honestly representing their constituency. I imagine that many people who live in Sebastopol aren't slaves to a low paying job with long hours, which prevents them from participating in council meetings. The fact that it's so expensive to rent or buy in Sebastopol leads me to believe that those who can afford to live there, can also afford the time to become involved in matters that affect their community. I'm wondering if the same is true of Windsor/Healdsburg communities.

High rents and high prices on homes may actually be considered "Good News" for those landlords and home sellers. (Same coin, but different sides)

48. TopTop #28
    arthunter

more good news ...

once again our dedicated sheriffs show their power and dedication to our Constitutional rights ... gotta love these guys ...

https://www.offthegridnews.com/curre...raw-milk-farm/

and an older story showing the same moxie ....

https://politicalvelcraft.org/2011/0...ediate-arrest/

also, Arizona has decided to uphold the Constitution ...

https://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.co...-federal-acts/

in health news ... we've banned frankenfish ... yay ...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ith-new-ruling

and Argentina blocks a Monsanto GMO plant ... the power of the people ....

https://www.naturalnews.com/053003_A...GMO_plant.html

and finally, turtles have returned to the Galapagos Islands ... wonderful!

https://blog.theanimalrescuesite.com...rtoises_111215
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 02-18-2016 at 03:05 PM.

49. Gratitude expressed by:

50. TopTop #29
    arthunter

I received this message from my friend John Whitehead today ... the good news is that there are still brave people in our country willing and able to defend our constitutional rights ....

"The Rutherford Institute and a coalition of educational, legal, human rights and media organizations, including the ACLU, Wikipedia, Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, and the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, have asked the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals to reinstate a lawsuit challenging the government’s mass surveillance programs. Despite extensive evidence that the government is systematically copying and substantially reviewing all international text-based communications, a Maryland federal court dismissed the lawsuit, ruling that the coalition of national and international groups does not have standing to bring the First and Fourth Amendment lawsuit against the National Security Agency (NSA), the U.S. Department of Justice and their directors.

The Obama administration has argued that the organizations do not have concrete evidence their communications have been monitored under the secret program."

“On any given day, the average American going about his daily business will be monitored, surveilled, spied on and tracked in more than 20 different ways, by both government and corporate eyes and ears,” said constitutional attorney John W. Whitehead, president of The Rutherford Institute and author of "Battlefield America: The War on the American People." “Revelations about the NSA’s spying programs only scrape the surface in revealing the lengths to which government agencies and their corporate allies will go to conduct mass surveillance on Americans’ communications and transactions. Senator Ron Wyden was right when he warned, ‘If we do not seize this unique moment in our constitutional history to reform our surveillance laws and practices, we are all going to live to regret it.’”

https://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u...&id=2a2ac341b1

51. TopTop #30
    arthunter

This is an amazing website and one that gives me hope for the world ... you can search for projects anywhere in the world and get involved ... even if you can't travel, it's wonderful to see what people are doing ... if you do want to leave and didn't think that you could, well this might change your mind ... enjoy!

https://www.workaway.info/