Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Keith of all trades

Apple Junction Smokehouse Restaurant at Gravenstein Station

As a vegetarian, I am an unlikely customer at the new restaurant at Gravenstein Station, but I wanted to give the new business a quick kudos on wacco.

I met the owners of the new Apple Junction Smokehouse as they were working to remodel the dining train car inside Gravenstein Station over the fall. Rhonda and her son Jake are very hardworking people and have made the new restaurant into their own.

I am not affiliated with this restaurant, and they did not ask me to post this. I just thought putting up a good review on wacco would let more locals know of a good new restaurant in Sebastopol.

I took the family there for breakfast there and we are happy to have found another restaurant in Sebastopol. Although it is a smokehouse with all that goes with it, they do have several options for vegetarians and even vegans on both the breakfast and lunch/dinner menu. I have also heard from some meat-eaters that the BBQ is really good too (but eating veggie is cooler IMHO).

And get this: The menu is very reasonably priced! Read that again: a reasonably priced restaurant in Sebastopol!

I hope they can build a good repeat local customer base and succeed. Who doesn't like eating in a real train car?

Keith
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

3. TopTop #2
    geomancer

Re: Apple Junction Smokehouse Restaurant at Gravenstein Station

I ate there last week. Very good food, ample portions, fairly priced, nice people.

Richard

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Keith of all trades: View Post
    As a vegetarian, I am an unlikely customer at the new restaurant at Gravenstein Station, but I wanted to give the new business a quick kudos on wacco...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 02-06-2016 at 12:50 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Jean-McG

Quote Posted in reply to the post by geomancer: View Post
    I ate there last week. Very good food, ample portions, fairly priced, nice people.
    We picked some up and brought it home ... Tried brisket, ribs and green chili burrito. I'm told burrito would be better with pork. No matter ... BB-Q is wonderful. Best I've had in Sebastopol. Will go back. Jean
    Last edited by Barry; 02-07-2016 at 01:06 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    viajera

So glad that Apple Junction Smokehouse is getting the recognition it deserves!
    I'm a vegetarian and my husband is a meat eater. The menu offers a variety of foods for both tastes.
    Yesterday we feasted on delicious chili, portobello mushroom sandwich, Tri Tip and side dishes including sweet potato fries, green beans, mac and cheese, and small salad. All homemade and scrumptious. Food is organic and locally sourced as much as possible. Sebastopol residents mother and son opened the restaurant six weeks ago. They have created a most delicious barbecue sauce and cilantro lime salad dressing as well as the above mentioned dishes.
    You can't get more local than this new culinary treasure!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by geomancer: View Post

Richard

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #5
    bill shearer

We ,too, found Apple Junction a very pleasant experience. The food was all good, service prompt, and Dodie and the owner spent time trading recipes. We are returning soon with friends in the evening to try the ribs.

10. TopTop #6
    Imagery

Quote Posted in reply to the post by bill shearer: View Post
    We ,too, found Apple Junction a very pleasant experience. The food was all good, service prompt, and Dodie and the owner spent time trading recipes. We are returning soon with friends in the evening to try the ribs.
    I'm so glad that the secret is getting out. I showed up about five minutes before they opened, and felt like I was family being welcomed in to enjoy some coffee. The space is warm and inviting, the food fresh and delicious, and the service (by the owner) had the attitude that she cares about having me as a customer. I told my wife about it, and we'll be headed there soon for dinner.

11. TopTop #7
    Dustyg

We went there for a late breakfast a couple of days ago, and it is simply terrific! Food fresh and made on the spot. They don't even have a microwave....Hurray!!!! Owner and son fun and dedicated and I'll certainly go there again, asap.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Imagery: View Post
    I'm so glad that the secret is getting out. I showed up about five minutes before they opened, and felt like I was family being welcomed in to enjoy some coffee. The space is warm and inviting, the food fresh and delicious, and the service (by the owner) had the attitude that she cares about having me as a customer. I told my wife about it, and we'll be headed there soon for dinner.

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #8
    Imagery

Alas...my wife and I went there on Friday night, and they had sold out of ribs...
    ...their second batch was in the tummies of the folks that had gotten there earlier for dinner.
    I had the beef brisket, some of the best baked beans in the county, and fresh veggies. Including food, iced tea (whose glass never went empty) shared dessert, tax, tip all said and done for $20/person.

The owner was working the tables, assisted by her service crew, and they were as friendly as always. Go check it out, and you won't be sorry you did.

Next time, a camera is coming along so you can see some samples of the food.

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #9
    Ted Pole

This is just another reason why I love you Waccos!

Thanks for the heads up on this. Saw the other day that the previous tenant had moved out, and was wondering what the new place was. Barbecue?!?!? Hoo-Ray!!!

Good Q is hard to come by around here, as any former Texan or Southerner (ahem) will tell ya. Can't wait to try it.

Thanks for the reviews, folks!

16. Gratitude expressed by:

17. TopTop #10
    Ted Pole

Went to dinner there last night and it was great.

Had the full slab of baby back ribs with BBQ beans and coleslaw. Ribs were nicely smoky and tender with a dry rub on the outside. Beans were very good, as was the Apple Cole Slaw, which fortunately there wasn't much apple in. The only drawback for me was the sauce served with the ribs. It's good, and the secret ingredient is...wait for it..apple. I simply prefer a Carolina mustard-based sauce, or something a bit less sweet.

Mrs. Pole had the beef brisket, Southern-style string beans, cole slaw and sweet potato fries. She said the brisket was great, very moist and tender, but smoked just right. Strings beans were over cooked and had a lot of pork in them, but hey, that's Southern style. Sweet potato fries were a bit undercooked, but the nice waitress took them off the bill.

We''ll be back for sure, especially after they get their liquor license.

BTW, the staff was very friendly and attentive without being too much of either.

18. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: