Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    DreadTori

Soul sickness in Sonoma County

I've posted on this subject in several local online forums, as well as here on waccobb. As a native Californian woman in my early 60s, with a 30 year+ history of living here in Sonoma County, I'm at a crossroads around housing. Simply put, it is no longer affordable for me to live here alone. This is something that has changed drastically over the last 8 years. I've always worked full-time, sometimes even more, to make ends meet. I've been a service-oriented person all of my life; I was a massage therapist until a bad car accident damaged me to the point where I can no longer give it. I worked in the restorative justice field until it was decided that an all volunteer staff would be better and i was laid off. Now I am a care-giver full-time.

All my life I have taken care of people in addition to my regular job. Care-giving is now my only work. Since I am paid through IHSS, I don't even make $12 an hour, gross. According to housing experts, to be able to afford a rental here, one must make $22.65 an hour and work 40 hours a week. I am now in a lovely relationship with a wonderful man and we would like to find housing together. This is proving to be much harder than either of us thought it would be. (He has been a service person all of his life as well [body work, driving] and according to the property managers we have talked to, the two of us together don't make the requisite $6000-8000 a month, which is what is required to rent here, nor do we have the high credit ratings of 675 and above.)

There are several reasons for this; 1) every place we look at has 50+ applicants so competition is fierce.
    2) many places are not owned by individuals, but by non-local investors who have no interest in giving back to our community. 3) prices fluctuate EVERY DAY through a complicated formula that takes into account all rental prices in the area. 4) young tech people want to live in "Wine Country" now; many of them make $10,000+ a month (yes, you read that right-TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS A MONTH) and they are willing to start a bidding war to get what they want (the reason for #3). 4) we're old school folks who pretty much go by the rule that if you can't afford something, you don't buy it, hence we have some credit, but it's evidently not enough- we've been told that we "need more credit cards!" 5) I have great rental references, my partner doesn't because he's been taking care of his dying mother for the last 3+ years in her home and his landlord before that is now deceased so his last 7 years of housing is unverifiable.

And now we come to #6; the real reason that service workers in this area can't afford to rent here. in a word:
    GREED

What I have seen here is that there is a deep soul sickness. When human beings take advantage of other human beings by charging exorbitant rents or trying to gouge their fellow humans for monetary gain, it's a sign that they have lost their humanity.

The signs are all around us and they aren't just about money; it's about power and privilege too. I see people's behavior has become spectacularly selfish- speeding through red lights because "I'm in a hurry;" stepping in front of people in lines and ignoring the others who are already waiting; employees chatting to each other and ignoring customers; customer service people acting rudely by talking fast and copping a nasty attitude if asked questions; people acting disdainfully towards those of us who are homeless, mentally ill, or disabled; interrupting others when they are talking; being extremely loud in public spaces; refusing to move to one side of the sidewalk when passing and forcing others off of it. These may seem like small things, but they're not; they're indicators of how far we have moved away from loving and supporting each other.

Every where I go I see this and more. It's profoundly disturbing and it seems that this is the status quo now and no one bats an eye. it's "just the way things are" as if we haven't made choices to behave this way. But we have. Over and over, every moment of every day, we make choices about how we will treat others. What we are choosing to do is harm one another by disrespect and disinterest. And some of us are willing to actively and directly harm others by trying to make as much money as we can from them.

This does not bode well for us humans.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    kathleenmc1953

Re: Soul sickness in Sonoma County

Quote Posted in reply to the post by DreadTori: View Post
    I've posted on this subject in several local online forums, as well as here on waccobb. As a native Californian woman in my early 60s, with a 30 year+ history of living here in Sonoma County, I'm at a crossroads around housing. Simply put, it is no longer affordable for me to live here alone. ...
    I have to respond to what Dread Tori wrote. I feel so much like you do.

I lived in San Francisco for years and always came up to the Russian River to get away from things. It was my idea of paradise.

I finally had a chance to move up to Sonoma 10 years ago.

I was so looking forward to living here. And it was great, at first.

But then the recession came and the tech bubble eventually took over again. Some people were left behind, having never recovered from the recession for various reasons.

Then, it seems, Sonoma County was "discovered". Party houses on the river, drunken wine tasters, bicyclists riding in the middle of the rural roads. Airb&b got a toehold and we were off to the races. Entitled tourists began looking for a "little place in the country".

Prosperity contributes to a well-functioning society when the extremes are not pronounced. But as the money flowed north from San Francisco civility declined as people became more concerned with what they did and did not have and less concerned with how to preserve their communities. The wonderful bohemian edge of this place eroded away exposing the underbelly of the beast, money and status.

I'd love to get my old Sonoma back, I just don't know how or if it's too late. You know what they say about Humpty Dumpty....

Perhaps a major drop in the stock market might not be a bad thing after all.

Hang in Dread Tori.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-15-2016 at 02:09 PM.

3. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

4. TopTop #3
    Shandi

I appreciate both of you for daring to shed light on the truth of what is the reality, not only in Sonoma County, but in all desirable, living environments. People who have plenty of money and resources will always have more options that those of us who don't. People with money always seek the best in living environments, food options, and entertainment. Sonoma county has a lot of that going on.

Raising rents is the ideal way for landlords
    to increase income. I just got notice of a rent increase, mainly because my landlord doesn't manage money very well, and spends more than he takes in, so raising my rent allow him to continue his spending habits. We've all been there, but we don't have the luxury of increasing our income simply by raising the rent on our tenants. We, instead, need to take a hard look at where our pennies are going, and find ways to keep more of them for our basic needs. Much of what we consider "basic" needs a more realistic evaluation.

It's become common to spend $3-5 on a daily coffee drink, $100-200 mo. on cable, $50+ on phone/internet data plans so we can be accessible at any time, entertainment/workshops that are out of our means, in addition to grocery shopping at places that charge 2-3 times the price we could pay elsewhere. I pay $2 for a small container of wheat grass, but I've seen it for $6 elsewhere. The more affordable way would be for me to grow it.
    Yesterday, I stopped in a high end grocery store to pick up something for a friend. I was shocked to see tiny cups of bite size strawberry pieces (dried out with a lot of white) for $6!! I wondered who, among the 1% who shop there, would actually buy this.

Things aren't going to change in our favor, so we need to look closely at our remaining options.

Join with others to secure a shared living space. This does involve leadership. Potential housemates need to be truthful about their non-negotiables, negotiables, and preferences. There are questionnaires that can guide this process, so mutuality can be determined. Two basic questions are "where do you prefer to live?" and "how much can you pay?". There are others of equal importance, and any of you who have been in shared living situations probably know what they are. The last 3 places I've lived in with landlords, have been nightmarish, even though I've been a tenant who contributes, communicates, and co-operates. The landlords themselves have been out of balance. Unfortunately, this is my experience of the general population. The best way to find kindred spirits is to be part of groups where they gather to share interests. My isolation caused by disability has been my worst downfall.

Find ways to increase your income, utilizing your skills and natural talents. This may mean "thinking out of the box". Rather than looking for a "job", you may be able to create a way to increase your income. I realize that we're not all entrepreneurial. After working 10 different jobs by the time I was 40, I never imagined that I could start my own business. Although none of these jobs were satisfying on a deep level, I accepted that "work" was equal to a 4 letter word that meant it sucked. I'd never met anyone who liked their job. Until I was nudged into a business, I had never experienced the joy of using my natural abilities. I didn't even see myself as creative, until then. I had been a "drone" shuffling along with others who were serving the interests of others in power. But I was just following a programmed life that was no different from those I knew. I know now that "what we don't know, can hurt us."

Utilize any free or low cost training to help identify your skills and talents.Knowing our personal inclinations is so powerful in creating or adding to our income. I taught a workshop for women, while living in Hawaii, (before the Internet) that was focused on this. I also guided them in looking more deeply (the pros and cons) of jobs they were seeking, along with the possibility of creating their own work. The process gave them hope where there was none.

Be willing to make necessary changes, which means giving up fantasies.Many people believe that certain places are paradise. Hawaii is one of those. It has beautiful weather, lush environments, and the highest cost of living coupled with the lowest wages. Paradise? The first year I was there, I worked 3 jobs to survive. This is common, even for PhDs. You'll find them working in restaurants and tourist businesses.

Many have moved to Sonoma County believing it to be a paradise, or a way to "get away". Many move here because of job offers in the wine industry, but end up living in their cars because they can't afford to rent anything. If you're not in the 1%, Sonoma County isn't paradise. You'll soon be looking for a way to "get away" to a place where you can afford basic shelter and food.

Make a list of 10 Ways you can make money. This is a very empowering process. I included it in my workshop, and it gave people insight and hope. It's a way to think "out of the box". I also recommend looking for information on line for ways to make money with little or no investment. Take a look at the Fiverr website, and you'll be amazed at how people are generating income. You'll also be able to tell from the reviews just how much money they've made. Some tarot readers have over 1000 reviews, which means at the minimum of $5 a gig, they've made $5000 gross, less Fiverr fees. How many tarot readers do you know who've done as well? Fiverr can give you hope, and this alone is worth it's weight in gold.

Apply for shared housing with a senior. Maybe most of you know about SHARE Sonoma County 707 765-8488, the free service that matches home seekers with senior home owners in need of financial assistance, personal assistance or a combination of both. Amy Appleton is the director, and has placed over 70 people in home sharing this past year. Some aren't paying any rent, but provide needed services to the seniors. This is not a quick fix, but there aren't any of those I know of. The office personnel don't always return calls in a timely manner, so you must be persistent. I have the same experience with Legal Aid. It's been 5 days since I left a message, with no return call. It's a sign of the times for the 99% dependent on housing and legal services.

If you're disabled, check out DSCL, Disability Services and Legal Center. 521 Mendocino. I attended their Monday orientation from1-3pm, and received a lot of helpful information. They also have a housing workshop on the 2nd Weds of the month, but you have to attend the orientation first. They will give you a list of agencies that help with rental deposits. If you need help with SSI benefits, they have lawyers to counsel you.
    They will also help you find ways to decrease your living costs by taking a hard look at your spending habits.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-15-2016 at 02:12 PM.

5. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

6. TopTop #4
    Shandi

Just saw this and thought I'd share:

Wisdom from the death bed of Steve Jobs.

The last words of Steve Jobs -

I have come to the pinnacle of success in business.
    In the eyes of others, my life has been the symbol of success.
    However, apart from work, I have little joy. Finally, my wealth is simply a fact to which I am accustomed.

At this time, lying on the hospital bed and remembering all my life, I realize that all the accolades and riches of which I was once so proud, have become insignificant with my imminent death.
    In the dark, when I look at green lights, of the equipment for artificial respiration and feel the buzz of their mechanical sounds, I can feel the breath of my approaching death looming over me.

Only now do I understand that once you accumulate enough money for the rest of your life, you have to pursue objectives that are not related to wealth.
    It should be something more important:
    For example, stories of love, art, dreams of my childhood.

No, stop pursuing wealth, it can only make a person into a twisted being, just like me.
    God has made us one way, we can feel the love in the heart of each of us, and not illusions built by fame or money, like I made in my life, I cannot take them with me.

I can only take with me the memories that were strengthened by love.
    This is the true wealth that will follow you; will accompany you, he will give strength and light to go ahead.
    Love can travel thousands of miles and so life has no limits. Move to where you want to go. Strive to reach the goals you want to achieve. Everything is in your heart and in your hands.

What is the world's most expensive bed? The hospital bed.
    You, if you have money, you can hire someone to drive your car, but you cannot hire someone to take your illness that is killing you.

Material things lost can be found. But one thing you can never find when you lose: life.
    Whatever stage of life where we are right now, at the end we will have to face the day when the curtain falls.
    Please treasure your family love, love for your spouse, love for your friends...
    Treat everyone well and stay friendly with your neighbors.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-15-2016 at 02:15 PM.

7. TopTop #5
    podfish

...And now we come to #6; the real reason that service workers in this area can't afford to rent here. in a word:
    GREED

What I have seen here is that there is a deep soul sickness. When human beings take advantage of other human beings by charging exorbitant rents or trying to gouge their fellow humans for monetary gain, it's a sign that they have lost their humanity.
    I don't think it's that simple. I think it's more a consequence of inequality - what we're seeing is a lack of empathy writ large. 'Exorbitant rents' are only exorbitant compared to the past, and more importantly, compared to what most people earn. But few landlords are willing to operate as charities, and the cost and/or value of their property is so high that the rents reflect that. And unfortunately they reflect the competition.

There are specific factors that are technical (e.g. stock market and international political issues) and frankly not that interesting to those suffering from the consequences. Debating them doesn't help us. Housing won't be provided by people willing to in effect donate a chunk of their potential earnings to those in more need.

Your other observations about people treating each other poorly are what I think is relevant. It affects housing because people aren't willing to support changes to their own lifestyle that benefit their neighbors. I blame inequality because it makes people less able to identify with those around them as neighbors.

To get more housing, we will have some combination of more taxes on us at large as well as specifically on developers of profit-making enterprises, and building of living units in places where they are now being opposed for good or bad reasons, depending on your feelings about preserving open land or 'safe' neighborhoods. It's mostly NIMBY and anti-government, don't-tax-me-'cuz-I-don't-trust-you-with-my-money attitudes that cause this.

Wishing that people just would go away, or that people who have money will provide housing just out of the goodness of their hearts, won't work. So in the short run I'm not optimistic. Most people who sincerely care about lower-cost housing are equally adamant that development is bad. I know it's easy to look at, for example, "young tech people" and say they don't belong here. That's solution #1 - make people go away - but it's just as divisive and unempathetic a view as that held by those who don't want workers housing to be visible from their wine-country estates.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-15-2016 at 02:18 PM.

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #6
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by kathleenmc1953: View Post
    I have to respond to what Dread Tori wrote. I feel so much like you do.

I lived in San Francisco for years and always came up to the Russian River to get away from things. It was my idea of paradise.

I finally had a chance to move up to Sonoma 10 years ago......
    Then, it seems, Sonoma County was "discovered".
    by you too, apparently! hey, by me too, I may have been here a lot longer than you, but I wasn't born here either. But to reiterate my point, closing the door at a certain point is arbitrary. Even the Pomo came here from somewhere else... rolling it back to the time just after I got here is no more reasonable than rolling it back to just after you did. I think the only ethical solution is to do what we can to provide for those who do live here and want to live here, while sharing the cost (not just monetary) of doing so. Doing that while not horribly compromising the things that make this county beautiful is pretty tricky. And just like shipping homeless people out of town on busses isn't an ethical solution to that housing problem, refusing to house people here isn't either.

10. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

11. TopTop #7
    Jim Wilson

Sonoma County is losing a lot of people due to the expensive housing. It is a serious problem and I don't see any of our elected officials addressing it. When I first moved to Sonoma County, in the early 80's, it was possible to find good housing that was reasonably priced; either for purchase or for rent. That was especially true for the West County. I have watched that disappear. Even rundown housing is now expensive.

Part of this is due to zoning laws. For example, when I lived near the town of Sonoma, the zoning laws in that town prevented the building of affordable housing by limiting multi-unit rentals. The zoning laws in Sonoma made it impossible for people who worked in Sonoma to actually live in Sonoma (I lived in Agua Caliente). There are also zoning laws in many cities that prohibit building small backyard units that owners could use to supplement their income, making their own housing more affordable, and in general increasing the availability of housing.

Part of the problem is economic, which previous posters have covered. In particular, the influx of wealthy urban dwellers and tourists have negatively impacted the economic possibilities of average income residents.

Recently a friend of mine told me he plans to move out of Sonoma County this year. The reason is the expensive housing. His rent has significantly increased and now he plans to move to another part of the country where housing is more reasonably priced. I have heard this story over and over, year after year -- readers have probably heard this as well. I don't think my experience is unusual.

To be honest, I'm not sure what to do about it. Local governments, such as City Councils in Sonoma and Sebastopol are intransigent about changing zoning laws so as to make housing more available. At the County level the Supervisors seem preoccupied with other matters. Expensive housing just doesn't seem to rise to the level of something that really needs our attention.

I believe the variety and sparkle of the Sonoma County population is being steadily eroded by this situation; that it is becoming more and more financially unlivable for an ordinary person. Is it possible to turn this around?

12. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

13. TopTop #8
    arthunter

I have a theory about all of this, and I'm sure that I'll get the usual resistance, because most people are ignorant about the big picture or simply choose not to look at it ...

I believe that the state of affairs in Sonoma County is directly related to national and world events ... according to many intelligent people, we are an oligarchy now ... what exactly does that mean? ... it means that our politicians and laws are supporting big business rather than "we the people" ....

Our so called "wars" have been tied to asset theft ... in this country we have people claiming that they are the victims of unconstitutional foreclosures and land grabs, and the general consensus is that "we the people" get poorer and poorer while the one percent pocket all of the wealth ...

How does this all relate to Sonoma County? ... well, we have been a county of progressive activists who wish to value community and compassion above an absolute focus on wealth ... if indeed there is an oligarchy calling the shots in this country then these high principles might designate us as a "trouble spot" ... not only that but we are rich in land, sunshine and expertise, making us a trouble spot with resources that could enable some degree of self sufficiency ... also, as the 7th largest economy in the world, California could be considered a prize to many oligarchic regimes ...

It would be easy to get rid of all the activists who reside here by buying up all of the property and pricing rents beyond what most people can afford ... and for those who own property and don't wish to sell, well just raise the price of everything, including anything to do with property maintenance, and soon enough they'll probably cave in and raise rents ... before you start with the skepticism, do a search on price fixing by the one percent ... there is no obvious concern for one's fellow man in any of this, quite the contrary, ... and then listen to this again with the full knowledge of the world that you are living in which includes extreme spying, secret courts, whistle blower harassment, the police state ... etc. etc. etc. ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhZk8ronces

I am watching everyone I know struggle to maintain a life here which was once reasonably easy ... my own life is ridiculous, but then that's another story ... I have said repeatedly that I am not welcomed here, possibly because I shine a light on injustice and corruption ...

So who's doing this? ...

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:
    its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life.
    If we can undermine these three areas,
    America will collapse from within." - Stalin

14. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

15. TopTop #9
    Shandi

I believe that you speak to a truth that many can't bear to admit. It means seeing the reality of ourselves as pawns in this game of life, here in Sonoma County or any place, where the King and Queen have the real power. We are useful, but also disposable, since there are so many willing to step up to fill our spot. It seems hopeless, as we allow ourselves to feel the pain of dissolution with a system that we were taught to trust. But then we were taught a lot of things from a slanted perspective in order to hide the brutal truths, and capture our loyalty with an allegiance we were willing to give our lives for. Those we've looked to for protection are now more likely to kill us, if only because of our skin color or beliefs.

Many of us will be forced to leave our homes for unknown places, seeking a way to survive with less than we ever thought possible. We will begin a new search for kindred spirits to connect and rebuild with, believing it's still possible. A small glimmer of hope keeps us moving forward along with those who have vision and leadership for a new tomorrow. I look to the youth to birth us into a new consciousness, as I see the magnificent solutions that many are creating to solve the disastrous problems that they've inherited from us. My heart is uplifted when I read positive news. But I also want to know the other side of reality, in case I might have a small part in reversing the waves of despair that lap at our heels.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by arthunter: View Post
    I have a theory about all of this, and I'm sure that I'll get the usual resistance, because most people are ignorant about the big picture or simply choose not to look at it ...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 01-16-2016 at 12:16 PM.

16. Gratitude expressed by:

17. TopTop #10
    podfish

i'm sure you will - and what other reasons for such resistance could there be??

oh, alright, i'll ruin a pithy post with explanation. There may be other reasons than ignorance or willfull blindness. I see a lot of the ancient greeks in your world view. Everything that happens is a consequence of the games the gods play, and we're just their pawns. Random, emergent behavior from complex interactions of billions of similar but unique entities just seems so unsatisfying.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 01-16-2016 at 12:17 PM.

18. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

19. TopTop #11
    Joseph

The frustration and disappointment is obvious. Can the world be that simple ? Could it be that our expectations are unrealistic in light of the total human global condition ?
    We would like to believe that if the wealth of the few was redistributed among the many, we would all be doing great. The truth is the annual real wealth of the few might add up to a one time $400. payment and then we would all be poor together. Most of what we call wealth is not usable. it is stock wealth or market dependent. Real wealth keeps us alive or engaged.
    The wealth most of us grew up around came from a history or opportunism. From slavery and to post war opportunities, resulting from being an ocean away for the fighting, we supplied Europe and Asia until they reclaimed their own industries but we did well, as a country. We had surpluses that made living easy. This is no longer the case in a global economy where all fight over the same opportunities.
    The insensitive attitudes witnessed in our surroundings only tell us that living has gotten much harder and the wealth in fact is being shared but there are many more of us wanting a share. Where many struggled to survive off the land, there are now millions needing to survive off the cities.
    What all this leads to is the need to focus on collective wealth creation not just more sharing. The only reason wealth does not grow, collectively, is that we have a system that needs shortages to function. Too much food, means the value is too low to make it worth growing. An organic zucchini cost 3-5c to grow and 4c to pick but it cost $1-$2 per pound, why ? It is simply what makes growing worth the effort to sell it for $2 a lb. This is true in most areas.
    We all use cell phones, has anyone ever tried to organize their own cell network ? We all pay for it, why not pool resources and set up our own towers ? There are many areas of our lives that collectively we can control but it means organization and trust. If we focus on how to create wealth and not just how to survive, we might solve a global problem. As technology eliminates more and more jobs and low wage workers in Vietnam get more of the opportunities, blaming the 1% is not only illusory but wasted energy. We need deeper problem solving. It is bad everywhere.

20. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

21. TopTop #12
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Joseph: View Post
    ...We would like to believe that if the wealth of the few was redistributed among the many, we would all be doing great. The truth is the annual real wealth of the few might add up to a one time $400. payment and then we would all be poor together. ....
    well, not all of us would like to believe that, or do. But that's not the only way inequality affects us.
    Imagine for example, Sea Ranch without public access. It could be built up with little mansions for oligarchs, or it could be open coast like one of the county beaches. It's something in the middle, now. But the quality of life for most Californians is improved when you don't allow private ownership of the coast. As a society we should move away from little mansions and toward open access, for example.
    There are a lot of other public goods that can be provided when your goal is to share the wealth. As you say, 'wealth' is more than the annual real wealth (and anyway, you probably mean income, because the wealth held by the 1% is a lot different than their income and is more than $400 per person). Provide transportation, food, housing and most obviously medical care in an economy that's different from the one that gives wealth to the 1%. Really, medical care is bound up in a system that's used for generation of wealth? Whose bright idea was that? We need a way to share the benefits of productivity among the population without the distortions of wealth-building. It's a historical accident that got us here - I blame the Babylonians for inventing private ownership of land.

22. Gratitude expressed by:

23. TopTop #13
    Joseph

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    well, not all of us would like to believe that, or do. But that's not the only way inequality affects us....
    HI- I have no problem with more being shared. The problem is if you take away the incentive to acquire wealth, in the current system, few will make the effort. Cuba is a useful reference. They seized the accumulated wealth and the capital equipment and reached equality. Most everyone is equally poor.
    My main point is that the money that makes the whole thing work, wall street, etc is the money we give it. If we want something better, we can share this newly generated wealth with each other. Sea Ranch can be purchased by average people pooling their resource just as easily as a billionaire.

The stock market runs on everyone's bi -weekly 401 and IRA contributions. The whole game dies if the "little people's" money stops flowing. The same can be suggested with housing. Most of the tight market , after the 2008 collapse, has resulted from wall street investment not just local people upgrading. The many houses that were in default were sold to investment groups that bundled the rental investments into bond funds and they are bought and sold and traded just like the "housing bubble" before 2008. They did 2 things we all feel, they pushed the price of housing back up by taking property off the market and they put pressure on rental prices.

I can't say I have perfect fix for what to do but if we look more towards collective investment, as many have done in the past, it might be possible to purchase properties that can be jointly owned and operated.
    Perhaps the people who have added their thoughts to this discussion are low on cash but their are many around us who are not. I think looking at the reality of dynamic wealth- resource that is continually created( employee pay), finds us much more in control that any " billionaire class". The semi monthly investment made to employee investment in the stock market is estimated to be between $300-400 billion.

Every 2 weeks, we small folks give away to others almost the wealth of Walmart. There are sanctioned means to reinvest these funds in more self serving ways, if we trust our own competence. So, I will no argue with you exactly how much real or paper wealth exists with the rich, it does little for us if we have not built other ways to create wealth and taking from others means they will stop both accumulating and generating new wealth. Get mad at all of us for not being smarter not the few who learned how play the game.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-17-2016 at 04:43 PM.

24. TopTop #14
    Shandi

I agree with your statement "the whole game dies if the "little people's" money stops flowing." The problem is the "little people" are hypnotized by marketing that they subject themselves to willingly. They buy into the messages that if they get this or that thing, they will keep up with the pack. Keeping up is a priority in how we are seen by our peers. It starts at a very young age, with TV commercials aimed at children. How else do kids know what they want? How do we know what we want, if not for advertising? I constantly see things posted on Facebook, and people responding with "I want!"

Buying luxuries when we are at a survival level, keeps us there, while we support the wealthy corporations. How many times have we bought something that we had to "have", only to not use it, and maybe not even open the box? I see things like this for sale all the time. I hate saying this, but most times it seems to be women who do this. Comments like "worn once", "still in box", "with tags" etc. Lately on a local FB group, I've seen $300-400 unused designer purses for sale. This is how we keep money flowing out of our pocket, and into theirs. Excessive consumerism is the "little people's" downfall. Waking up is hard to do, because the dream is so comforting, temporarily....til the dawn of reality hits, but even then we don't connect the dots, and fall under the spell again and again, getting sucked deeper and deeper into a place of no recovery.

I think that the "smart" or wise path to acquiring wealth is passed on from wealthy families. For most of us born into poverty, with no point of reference other than day to day survival, the idea of creating wealth is a million miles from our consciousness. We learn early on from our parents/guardians, our role models. We integrate the images and message of struggle, hopelessness, and despair. There are a few cases where people have risen above their birth circumstances, due to fortuitous connections, personal drive, education, an unexpected inheritance, creating a unique solution to a problem, or having financial support to carry through on a concept that will benefit the masses. Some people resort to marrying into money, for the opportunity to experience the lifestyle and connections that wealth can bring.

Many people who inherit money, and don't have a clue about how to make it grow, is common, as we know from facts about large Lottery winners.

How do we "trust our own competence" when we don't have any competence? Skill at handling money is a learned trait, as are most other hot button issues like sex, relationships, etc. Most people that I'm in contact with don't seem to have a high degree of self-trust, and are more oriented to looking to others for quick solutions.
    I don't think that "getting mad" is the answer. I think "getting educated" in our areas of interest would serve us better.

I saw this investment question on Quora yesterday: I'm hoping that most of us know the answer to this.

"I just came into $463,000 in cash. I am about to buy an investment property of a 2 bedroom apartment in Honolulu, Hawaii, for $350,000 that will net me $1,000 a month. Is there a better way to get rich off this money?"
    Last edited by Barry; 01-17-2016 at 04:45 PM.

25. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

26. TopTop #15
    Star Man

Every where I go I see this and more. It's profoundly disturbing and it seems that this is the status quo now and no one bats an eye. ...
    I totally agree with you. I am a single man working every day as a psychotherapist. I am stuck in senior housing. Every month I see my dream of gardening and having a sweat lodge on my own place recede further and further into the distance. The owners of the housing keep raising the rent because they can. Nothing will stop them. Three raises in the last 18 months. Their justification is that they must keep up with the increases in rents throughout the county. If I had a partner I could afford the rent on a 2 bedroom, but my credit score has been trashed by student loan debt that only increases and that I will never be able to repay. Yes, their is a great soul sickness in Sonoma county and in all of America.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-17-2016 at 04:46 PM.

27. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

28. TopTop #16
    Shandi

Many of us have had to let dreams go that we've held on to. Being "stuck in senior housing" is something that many of us wish we could say. It's hard to know how fortunate we are with what we have, until we see those without.

I wish more people would join the Facebook group:
    Sonoma County Conscious Community Housing Network
    as a way to connect with each other to possibly form a MeetUp group. As we get to know each other in person, and share what our housing priorities are, it's possible that we could find a way to share housing.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-17-2016 at 04:47 PM.

29. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

30. TopTop #17
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Joseph: View Post
    HI- I have no problem with more being shared. The problem is if you take away the incentive to acquire wealth, in the current system, few will make the effort. Cuba is a useful reference. They seized the accumulated wealth and the capital equipment and reached equality. Most everyone is equally poor. .
    after careful consideration, I've decided that this argument is convenient bullshit for the 1%. It's fatally flawed in the same way that analogies about the national deficit vs. personal debt are flawed.
    Maybe Steve the ditch digger has to get paid to work, but Steve Jobs would pay for the chance to run Apple. Many people who own their own businesses get great satisfaction out of that - think of the trope of someone who retires and has no idea what to do with their time.
    The binding of people's needs, as opposed to desires, into the economic system was a convenient mechanism to ensure there was enough productivity from society as a whole to provide for the needs of the population. It got bound with moral and religious precepts, to a ludicrous degree in some cases (Protestant work ethic? huh? when did Jesus talk about work ethic?). We're stuck with it and its consequences till the robot overlords step in. But really, many people love to be engaged in production of goods and creation of organizations. We pay people in NASA so they can eat - but they're all in it to see the space program happen. The disdain for those who can't or even worse won't contribute to society's economic prosperity is an evil that masquerades as virtue. Someday we'll worry about it from a psychological level - people who don't contribute often do have self-worth problems, so there needs to be a mechanism that makes people feel needed, but food/shelter/health care should not be tied to that.
    this of course has zero practical impact on the fact that the rent's too damn high.

31. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

32. TopTop #18
    arthunter

I'm not against wealth, far from it ... I think that if you are motivated enough to come up with a product or service that is needed by the population then you deserve to succeed ... I'm also not against capitalism as it provides incentive to try your best and to climb the ladder to success ... the idea that any one of us can achieve anything is what made America great ...

I am against the abuse of wealth and capitalism such as dodging taxes and buying influence, and there is plenty of information to support the theory that this practice is widespread ... and make no mistake, these practices affect all of us ...

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2...=socialnetwork

When I got sick with lyme disease I reported my business taxes but could not pay them ... they became a tax lien on my property ... when I sold the property these taxes had increased substantially due to late fees, penalties, etc. ... there was nothing that I could do about any of this ... I was not given the option of sheltering my profits in any way ... sorry, but the deck is stacked, and you can work your ass off, which I did, and still fail through no fault of your own ... it's popular these days to blame the victim ... watch out for that ....

33. Gratitude expressed by:

34. TopTop #19
    Shandi

I remember hearing many years ago that the key to success was not to "work harder" but to "work smarter".
    But most people don't know what that means, or how to do it. I only had an inkling of what it meant, but I related it to cooking. I was always discovering, mostly by accident, how to be more efficient in the kitchen. It fascinated me so much, I got several "how to" books on the various aspects of running a household.

I won't go into stories of how I learned to work smarter in my own business, and I didn't start out that way. I had no money or experience in business, or in the industry I got into. I knew the value of having a mentor, but that wasn't available, so I studied the tools and techniques of those who were successful.

It was always very exciting to learn about things that would not only save time, but increase my profits. Each discovery meant that I was working "smarter". My focus was to provide a business service at a lower price with equal quality as my competitors. The only way to do that was to save money on my costs, without sacrificing quality. I also learned that "time is money",and finally understood what that meant.

There are a lot of hidden costs in life, as there are with everything. Unexpected crisis can take any of us down, and sometimes there's no way to be prepared. How many of us bought disability insurance when we could? I didn't. I thought that even if I was physically disabled, as long as my mind was working, I could survive. So, I done just that, survived. But there were times when I wasn't so sure I would.

Financial disaster can take us down quickly. We've heard the stories of successful people who've experienced financial failure, but they got back up and tried again, maybe several times, until they achieved their goal. Their wisdom, experience, and refusal to give up made the difference.

Depression shortcuts all that stuff, and can keep us in the dark for a long time. Medicines may be prescribed, but may hurt us on many levels. Some of us get blessed with a view of options, and we recognize that options are power. It means risking where we are, for where we might be. In the words of Anaïs Nin:
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are ...the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”

In these days, as in those before us, I believe that unity is the key, as you've said many times before. We need to risk reaching out to each other, to find connections with kindred spirits. Our survival depends on it. Many of us are one step away from the street. To me, death is preferable.

I want to continue to be grateful for what I have, that many do not. And my heart guides me to share whatever that might be, whether it's a coat, food, transportation. information, inspiration, etc. I think inspiration is most powerful, when your belly is full.

I'm not against wealth, far from it ...
    Last edited by Barry; 01-18-2016 at 12:46 PM.

35. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

36. TopTop #20
    arthunter

Thank you Shandi ... you are a kind soul and we're lucky to have you in this community ...

I actually enjoy hard work and I was never a quitter ... my mom was a widely published human rights activist, when she wasn't working two jobs, and there was absolutely no time or tolerance for depression in our home ...
    I only had one bout of serious depression in my entire life and that was when I arrived in California as a young woman ... at that time I was indeed homeless and clueless and seriously depressed and I got help, recovered and went on to build a life ... I ended up working with the elderly and dying which was one of the most rewarding experiences that I can remember ... depression never returned to my life after that ... I recovered from lyme disease, got up and got on with it so my references have more to do with unfair financial practices than anything else ... I tell my story only to illustrate the plight of the common man ...

Yes, unity ... at this time when we are being separated by income, race, religion, sex, philosophy, and politics, it is more important then ever ... right you are ....

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    I remember hearing many years ago that the key to success was not to "work harder" but to "work smarter"....
    Last edited by Barry; 01-18-2016 at 12:47 PM.

37. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

38. TopTop #21
    Shandi

I finally just got to reading the January Gazette, which is packed with valuable information on so many issues of interest to us:
    Homelessness (CODE BLUE), NIMBY Senior housing, Wine & Water, California End of Life Options, Wind Machines for Vineyards, Recycling Food, and so much more. The reader contributions are valuable and heartfelt. Vesta's editorial resonates so much with me. She's definitely a kindred spirit.

Just want to urge everyone to check it out, if you haven't already. Be informed. Be aware.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-18-2016 at 12:47 PM.

39. Gratitude expressed by: