Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #31
    parlyvous

Re: *LEGAL LOOPHOLES*PORTABILITY The Fallacy/Frustration ofthe Section 8 Voucher program.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Adrienne: View Post
    It used to be that you couldn't "port" your voucher until you'd lived in one place for at least a year. Has that changed? If so, it would be good news. Adrienne
    I had gone to meet with a manager of a property and we (or I did) happily start the paperwork. The manager and I started talking and she asked about my Voucher and then went "UH OH"...as I was a County Voucher holder..(never used..I have 2 months left until the Voucher would be useless). She called HUD and then told me "Sorry, sorry." "You are county." I left crushed as initially I had found a place and my present landlady screwed up the process by not contacting the realtor and I lost the place...so this was going to be the second time I had a place within my grasp and felt I'd lost it. Fortunately, my Sister was with me and refused to accept that answer and we rushed to the HUD office and talked it over with one of the staff there and she said "Sure you can PORT". I got handed the Port form and filled it out and asked the woman, "So I can go back and pay the required fees and fill out my tenant application?"
    She told me "Yes" (In fact, another staff worker was dubious and pulled up my information on the computer and agreed and as I rushed out the door to go back to the property they called out "Congratulations!!" I took care of the tedious process of paperwork and handing over money. That was on the 19th. I called the HUD office on the 20th to double check and they confirmed my Voucher had been PORTED TO the City office that day. I believe since housing is so horribly tight, and you hold that Voucher and your background check etc. comes back 'green'.
    (YES, it will be a boon. I never could understand the "island of Santa Rosa" being denied to those living in surrounding areas. If there is available housing anywhere in the County one lives, why is it not available to ALL to make the attempt to fill a unit/house?? Santa Rosa jurisdiction is small...again "island" yet has more apartments especially, that seem to come up available.)
    So my paperwork has been Ported.
    I will update as soon as tomorrow (Monday July 25th 2016) arrives, as I plan to be up early and on the phone calling the City HUD. My Tenancy paperwork was filled out and sent over also by the property manager.

UPDATE: MONDAY JULY 25TH: Sonoma county HUD caseworker called. Everything (paperwork is over at Santa Rosa HUD. Porting packet and my Tenancy Voucher.) The manager at the property called to let me know how things from their end work as I'm new to the Voucher world. (would any of us had imagined having to deal with this stuff in our lives, but it is what it is.)
    Now what I have to do is the hardest part: sit and wait for them to contact me! Folks/housing seekers: I am going to try and get the particulars about the housing tenancy and jurisdiction requirements to keep you all updated to hopefully assist you in knowing the steps to take. May we all find shelter!
    ADDENDUM: In regards to the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program, if you are not a resident of the area you applied to, you must live within the jurisdiction of that housing authority for one year before you are able transfer to a new area, known as porting. If you were a resident of the housing authority's jurisdiction when applying, you may port immediately after receiving your voucher.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #32
    parlyvous

Re: The Fallacy/Frustration of Section 8 Voucher program.

David Layfield who does work regarding housing and the Section 8 program has a website with multiple questions posed by those seeking housing and his replies. I found when using the website the questions could easily take care of what I was questioning. If I needed further info. I would take what information I gathered and then call HUD and refer that question to them for clarification.
    (I'm beginning to feel like I'm doing research for a Thesis, what with all the Internet searching and taking notes!)

https://affordablehousingonline.com/...rch/Section-8/

Hope the site is of some help.

Addendum: This rather pertains to my post above this one about 'Porting' He states: Please keep in mind that housing authorities are given a lot of leeway by HUD in their porting policy, so there may be other specific factors required to be able to port your voucher.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #33
    Adrienne

It's too bad you can't get a degree for this. You, and so many others, deserve something more than a pat on the back and an overpriced apartment. There's a bay area organization, Poor News Network, which has the concept of "Poverty Scholarship." I find the idea very validating. https://www.poormagazine.org/node/4115

Adrienne

Quote Posted in reply to the post by parlyvous: View Post
    David Layfield who does work regarding housing and the Section 8 program has a website ...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-26-2016 at 10:45 AM.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #34
    parlyvous

Re: The Fallacy/Frustration of Section 8 Voucher program. APARTMENT LOW INCOME

I just wanted to put it out that there is one apartment available now in Petaluma Senior Housing. 62+ or any age disabled. IF you take the apartment you have to give up your Voucher and go with their housing certificate. BUT if someone is near losing Voucher with no rescue in sight.....HUGE treed area out back. Can have a pet. Dog up to 25lbs and room to run for sure!!!

Let me know Barry if I've goofed putting this here.
    [It's fine here - but future readers note that this was posted on July 25, 2016]

iT IS jULY 26TH The unit is still available as the manager called. One could probably walk in, pass the interview and background check and have the place. Call them and ask for Louis. Here is a chance at a place for someone.

I'm NOT connected with the apartment in any way except for having gone over to the complex. No connection on my part.
    BTW in the same apartment complex there will be another apartment available in about 5 weeks. Just give a call to the Petaluma Senior Housing on Wyndham. Look up Petaluma Senior Apartments (remember ANY age disabled person can move in there) there are a few pictures online that show the land surrounding it and the gazebo, patio BBQ area.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-26-2016 at 10:47 AM.

8. TopTop #35
    parlyvous

I read just recently that the 'whole' of California is considering making this move. Let us hope so! I will search and see if I can find that particular article. Hey, keeping an eviction off your record is important. Even if proved later it was landlord retaliation etc. it still shows on reference records which can make a manager or landlord think twice about taking you onboard as a tenant.

This court victory can keep you from being evicted if you are a Section 8 Tenant. (It doesn't find housing, but it's important for those of us who have housing.) Please pass on. Contact the ACLU if you get an eviction notice and bring this information to your appointment. Adrienne

COURT PROVIDES HUGE VICTORY FOR LOW INCOME SECTION 8 TENANTS FACING EVICTI
    ON
    Last edited by Barry; 07-26-2016 at 10:48 AM.

9. TopTop #36
    parlyvous

Re: *LEGAL LOOPHOLES*PORTABILITY The Fallacy/Frustration ofthe Section 8 Voucher program.

My misunderstanding of the paperwork describing holding a Voucher. (live and learn) IF you applied from outside a particular jurisdiction for a Voucher within a particular jurisdiction, you then must live there 12 months before being able to Port. If you had been living in the jurisdiction where you applied for a year or more you can Port as soon as you receive your Voucher.
    You are correct Adrienne. I was merrily (ha ha) just looking for housing with no clue, but had been living in the area where I had applied for a Voucher for several years. It took me several years to even get a Voucher, but I was fortunate (somewhat, though miserable) I had a place to squat until the Voucher came through. Only through happenstance did I have the Port issue pointed out to me when applying for a unit outside the original jurisdiction.
    My misunderstanding was you had to get a Voucher, then live in a Section 8 place for a year before you could make any kind of move. (I'm terrible at absorbing instructions and as you know, one gets a TON of paperwork when at the Orientation Meeting.) The matter of In or Out never came up as I was trying for a County place.

It used to be that you couldn't "port" your voucher until you'd lived in one place for at least a year. Has that changed? If so, it would be good news. Adrienne

10. TopTop #37
    parlyvous

Re: The Fallacy/Frustration of Section 8 Voucher program. NO VOUCHER? Tax Credit Housing

Not holding a Section 8 Voucher? When inquiring about housing, especially apartment complexes. Ask if they are "Tax Credit" Housing. You don't need a Voucher, they go by what your income is. Some complexes have units that range from 30% (like section 8), up to 60% for those with more income. But even holding a Voucher you can apply for these Tax Credit Housing units.
    Tax Credit Housing does not have to work from a waiting list like Section 8 Housing does. They can pick and choose. If you find such a place and no units available, keep contacting them in case one opens. (they can and do believe me). Visit the onsite manager and staff and keep in touch with them. Work on making a good impression so they will remember you as a potential tenant they would want.
    I know a fellow that just happened to go in and meet/greet and was called soon thereafter, as a unit had come up and the manager/owners were impressed with him and the references and info. he had brought with him. Usually at a meet/greet they will have you just fill out a card to keep on file for when a unit opens up. Leave a 24/7 phone contact with them, so no matter where you are, you are set to get that important. call.
    One person may come in and just not impress the staff and the next one could be what they are looking for. So be pleasant, despite fear, exhaustion of your ongoing search. Leave them with the idea you would be what they are looking for as a tenant and they could easily reach out to you when a unit is available. Heck, you could walk in just when a tenant had given notice they were moving out.
    Best of luck. Don't give up.
    Last edited by parlyvous; 07-27-2016 at 09:51 AM. Reason: updates

11. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

12. TopTop #38
    Journey7

Re: *LEGAL LOOPHOLES*...& The Fallacy/Frustration of the Section 8 Voucher program....

That was the most valuable information I've ever read online. Thank you so much. PLEASE DONT EVER DELETE THIS!!!!!!!

From Barry: I'm delighted that this thread has been useful! I notice that it has been viewed over 11,000 times!
    You can see the whole thread by going to the first post.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-07-2018 at 02:03 PM.

13. Gratitude expressed by: