Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Gail Raborn

Resources for Cancer Patients in Sonoma County

Here's a good roundup of local cancer support resources put together by Gail Raborn. I encourage cancer survivors to contribute to this list to share what they found useful along with any other advice.

Before offering your services for a fee, please get a Business Directory listing.

Barry

Resources for Cancer Patients in Sonoma County
    by Gail Raborn
    WaccoBB.net

Facing the diagnosis of cancer can be devastating: physically, emotionally, financially and spiritually. Both of my parents had cancer, and both died of complications from this scary illness. I myself had a brush with cancer; but with the help of self-hypnosis and spiritual healing, I was able to recover without other treatments. Most cancer patients, however, want to include other cancer treatments for their healing journey. And since there are so many kinds of cancers, not to mention treatments available, finding your unique path to recovery can be overwhelming. To help you on your path, here are some of the cancer resources I’ve found available in Sonoma County.

The foundation of healing requires good nutrition. The Ceres Community Project in Sebastopol offers beautiful, delicious and nourishing organic meals to people in crisis and/or treatment due to serious illness. About 85% of their clients have cancer. Their goal is to help clients stay well-nourished to lessen side effects, increase positive treatment outcomes and help them recover more quickly. For low-income patients, these meals are free for up to twelve weeks and which can include the whole family. For a second twelve weeks, they ask $10-$50 per week for this service - but no one is turned away for lack of funds. For cancer patients with more financial resources, they ask $85 per person per week. The food they cook is received mostly through donations and cooked lovingly through many volunteers. For more information, call: 707-829-5833 Ext 201, or email [email protected].

Even when you’re sick, exercise is vital to your emotional well-being, reduces stress and helps stimulate your immune system. The Airport Club Exercise Support Group for Cancer Patients is worth looking into. Call Linda Illsley at: 707-528-2582 ext. 69 or Lori Ennis at: 707-528-2582 ext. 43. There’s also a stretching class for cancer patients with Christine Bandettini: 707-765-3995 Or try a movement and dance class for cancer patients with Sarah: 707-470-3208.

Treatment of cancer is complex. “Treatment of cancer is as much an art as a science, because what works for one person may not work for the next with what appears to be an apparently identical cancer. Cancer is more than “cancer”. It involves psycho/emotional/spiritual, nutritional, toxic, energetic, immune disabling, epigenetic and many other challenges that will be totally different between people. The treatment for cancer, in my humble opinion, is the treatment of the host and optimizing his/her immune system together with the other factors. Targeting wayward cancer cells alone is folly.”

This quote is from Dr. Robert Rowen, who works with his wife, Dr. Terri Su in Santa Rosa, to optimize metabolism, detoxify and optimize the immune system in cancer patients. You can reach them at: 707-578-7787.

I agree with Dr. Rowen; it’s vital bring all aspects of your life into harmony in order to recover fully. It’s up to you if you wish to approach your healing journey through allopathic (traditional) medicine, Integrative (holistic) Medicine, or some combination of the two.

You can find massage therapists, nutritionists, Chinese Medicine doctor, medical cannabis physicians, Naturopathic doctors, Hypnotherapists, Guided Imagery practitioners, Energy Medicine practitioners, Shamanic healers, and more through the internet, WaccoBB Business Directory and referrals , and through referral by friends or support groups. These holistic healers can help you rebalance your entire body, strengthen your immune system, deal with stress management, and work naturally with issues of pain. Hypnotherapists can teach you self-hypnosis, which utilizes your inner power for healing plus helps you connect with wise inner guidance.

Emotional help is very important while facing cancer because fear, anger, grief, stress and depression are common side effects of this major health challenge, and all these negative emotions weaken the immune system just when you want it at its strongest. To find a therapist, hypnotherapist or coach specializing in work with cancer patients, just google these terms. You’ll find plenty to choose from. Or, see what the local hospitals and cancer resource centers offer.

There's an extensive list of support groups on the North Bay Cancer Alliance website here.

As for spiritual support, many churches and spiritual centers in Sonoma County offer free spiritual counseling, prayers, healing meditations, and spiritual treatments for those facing illness of any sort. Many offer telephone healing sessions, when you’re too ill to drive.

Several medical centers in Sonoma County specialize in the integration of alternative and traditional approaches for healing cancer. The Hill Park Medical Center, headed by Dr. Brian Bouch includes several physicians, an Osteopathic doctor, several Naturopathic doctors, and a doctor of Chinese Medicine. You can reach them at: 707-861-7300, 435 Petaluma Ave, Suite 150, Sebastopol.

The Integrative Medical Clinic in Santa Rosa, directed by Dr. Ellen Barnett has several physicians, a chiropractor, Naturopath, Rosen body worker, and an MFT who specialize in work with cancer patients. You can reach them at: 707-284-9200 , 175 Concourse Blvd., Santa Rosa, CA.

Sonoma West Medical Center, a newly opened hospital in Sebastopol, includes an Integrative Health Institute which offers massage, acupuncture/Chinese Medicine, nutrition education, Mind/Body healing, and Hypnotherapy. Free demos/talks on various healing arts are offered twice weekly in the Conference Room of the hospital. Get more information about this through their website, www.sonomawestmedicalcenter.com, or email [email protected].

The American Cancer Society in Sonoma County is a wonderful organization you can reach at: 1-800-227-2345, www.cancer.org. They offer an extensive list of cancer support programs aimed at children, teens and adults, with special groups for particular types of cancer; plus they offer programs for bereavement, yoga, dance and help to obtain special clothing.

The North Bay Cancer Alliance, which has a branch at 185 Sotoyome Ave, Santa Rosa, CA 95405, offers a wide variety of help to cancer patients including financial assistance, cancer information, patient resources, nutritional information, alternative treatments, pet therapy, data and stats, and much more. They can be contacted via email: [email protected].

All hospitals with oncology departments in Sonoma County offer Integrative Health Services along with allopathic medicine. Their programs including diagnosis and treatment, living with cancer, emotional wellness, clinical trials, free support groups, caregiver support, financial aid, classes, lectures and more. Their Integrative Health Services may include massage, hypnosis, acupuncture, and nutritional education.

In financial distress? Besides financial aid offered at many hospitals, the state of CA also offers a Breast and Cervical Cancer Treatment program through Medi-Cal to low income people. Even if you’ve been denied Medi-Cal, talk to a county Eligibility Worker to make a referral for you to the BCCTP. For more information, call 800-824-0088. The North Bay Cancer Alliance also offers financial assistance to uninsured or underinsured patients. In addition, they provide information about local patient resources, alternative treatments, cancer information, national resources, pet therapy and much more. Contact them at: [email protected]. They’re located at: 185 Sotoyome St., Santa Rosa.

Some holistic healers offer reduced rates for cancer patients, especially those with low incomes. As a hypnotherapist, I offer three free sessions to anyone diagnosed with cancer. You can reach me at: 707-827-3615, [email protected], www.telehealing.com

Many cancer survivors say that their journey through cancer provided an amazing opportunity to grow! I’ve heard cancer survivors say their illness taught them increased self-love and nurturing, helped them heal from old anger and become more forgiving, learn to listen to their bodies, develop a stronger connection with Spirit, and forge deeper love bonds with family and friends.

If you take charge of your own healing path, you’ll feel less stressed, more positive, and more in control. If you haven’t already, tap into some of the many resources you have here at your fingertips in Sonoma County to create your team of healers. The path of healing from cancer is never easy, but with a loving group of friends, family and healers working with you, you can do it!

Gail Raborn, CHT. is a Hypnotherapist and Interactive Guided Imagery Practitioner specializing in MindBody Medicine and helping cancer patients heal. Gail’s part of the Integrative Health Institute at the Sonoma West Medical Center in Sebastopol, working with in and out patients there. She has a private practice through telephone, her office, and offers house calls.
    Contact Gail: 707-827-3615; [email protected] www.telehealing.com
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    SustainableLiving

Re: Resources for Cancer Patients in Sonoma County

Here is another great resource for those interested in reading about research which doesn't get the mainstream attention that it deserves. For instance, did you know that Dr. Otto Warburg received the Nobel Prize in 1931 for discovering how cancer is caused and how to prevent its growth? Or that seven time Nobel Prize nominated scientist Dr. Johanna Budwig developed a successful protocol of two inexpensive and common foods for eliminating cancer more than a decade ago? All in all, our highly recommended E-Book contains more than 10 all-natural cancer cures for just about every form of cancer, which receives little attention from Big Pharma as it offers them absolutely no profit potential. Our E-Book is freely available at https://gumroad.com/l/NaturalCancerCures, and any donations greatly help our ongoing health research and are much appreciated.

"Recent estimates have forewarned that half of all Americans will at some point in their life be diagnosed with cancer. This is extremely problematic for a wide range of issues and it is crucial that we understand how Cancer occurs and what the scientifically documented remedies are. I myself have had a number of relatives develop cancer, and have most recently been aiding my mother recover from Breast Cancer. In my attempts to help loved ones I have begun to understand the underlying causes of cancer, as well as refine down a list of the most highly effective all-natural cancer cures. The science supporting these claims come from not only extensive independent trials, but from Nobel Prize Winning Scientists, Government studies and numerous collegiate research projects. I believe that health is the cornerstone of any stable society and have freely posted my research on the web for anyone to utilize for their own benefit. It is my hope that others will find this information as valuable as I have, and that we can collectively alter our dieting practices sooner than later for the benefit of us all. Please share this with others if you are so compelled to do so and let us continue on the path to a healthier, more sustainable way of life."
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: