Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #31
    Shandi

Re: Santa Rosa Plan to Reunify Courthouse Square calls to remove 35 Redwood Trees?

This morning I notified ABC 7 news, and will report on their response. We must avail ourselves of any opportunity to publicize this project that puts things before living beings. Unification is the best way to battle "re-unification".
    Last edited by Barry; 01-17-2016 at 03:31 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #32
    Stargazer

Re: Santa Rosa Plan to Reunify Courthouse Square calls to remove 35 Redwood Trees?

My previous experiences have been that the times and the dates of these meetings can change without much notice or proper notice. I would not be surprised if the meeting starts @ 4 PM. I would check the time and date out very carefully. 6 PM may be two hours later than the actual start time. This is not a straight up bunch.

Remember how "Creepy" the shadows are in the dark? This was said by a grown man who is a long time property owner on 4th St. Check the time!

There are more important issues to spend millions on for the many local residents who suffer and struggle who live in Santa Rosa. We need civilian review boards who advocate for the residents of Santa Rosa not the downtown special interest groups who run the downtown development association. Did you all know that if you have a business downtown SR you are forced to report your income to the DDA? Then you must pay an additional tax to them for the right to let them spend your money anyway they want to?

This entire project must be stopped. Leave the downtown courthouse square area alone. How much more insanity is needed to boost the already high crime downtown and increase tourism? Let's just use Julliard Park more for functions that are downtown and forget all of this fuss. Or maybe we can all have a party at the SR mall which was built smack in the middle of our downtown, dividing it right in half. Let's use what already exists and move on to more important projects to actually improve the quality of life for the residents of Santa Rosa. This is a waste of time and money. Enough of this corruption and destruction. Storm the city manager's office.Make them do their job to benefit the majority here not the special interest groups who worship the dollar as their GOD.

4. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

5. TopTop #33

KEEPING THE PRESSURE ON!

COME TO TOMORROW'S SR CITY COUNCIL MEETING

SR City Council meets only twice before they approve this plan: TOMORROW, Tuesday, the 19th, & next week Tuesday, the 26th (when they plan to approve it).

Please join me at tomorrow's meeting. (I really don't want to be the only one there.)
    Where: SR City Hall, 100 Santa Rosa Ave, Rm 10.

Courthouse Square is not on the agenda tomorrow. However, there are 2 opportunities for comment from the public on non-agenda items.
    • Starting "no earlier than 5:00 pm," ten people will be randomly chosen by the mayor—to speak for 3 minutes each.
    • Speakers who do not have an opportunity to speak during this time will be allowed to make 3-minute public comment later—probably sometime between 6 and 6:30.

They need to see our faces and hear our voices--to let them know that the citizens do not want this appalling plan.We need to stand up and push back before it's too late.

(Of course, the way to come across most persuasively in this forum is to focus in on an issue you care about most and then make your points with logic and civility.)

6. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

7. TopTop #34
    wisewomn

A friend of mine who used to live in SR for many years said reunification of the Square is THE pet project of the mayor and he is impervious to all objections--determined to have it underway before he leaves office. You might want to direct some objections specifically to him.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 01-19-2016 at 01:28 PM.

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #35
    wisewomn

I need to retract my previous comment about the mayor of SR. Turns out my friend was talking about Scott Bartley (the previous mayor), not John Sawyer (the current mayor). She does think John Sawyer is interested in bringing more business downtown since he used to have a business there but that he, hopefully, is more flexible than SB would have been. Mea culpa and my apologies to all.

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #36
    beshiva

hi comrades. as someone who has gone many many times to the Board of Supervisors and given that great privilege to speak with civility and logic, for a whoopie 3 minutes...the dear powers that be, will then thank me and those speakers who have come before me and after me and then they go off and screw US! so i agree with the logic, civility means i don't throw stuff at them, like teddy bears, and ice cream sticks....and that's all the civility these people deserve until they DO the Right Thing!!!!
    peace

12. TopTop #37
    american dream

Went to the last meeting, but could not attend today's. Can you please give us some idea of how it went? Thank you!

13. TopTop #38

Quote Posted in reply to the post by american dream: View Post
    Went to the last meeting, but could not attend today's. Can you please give us some idea of how it went? Thank you!
    As I've never been to a City Council meeting before--and I've certainly never spoken at such a meeting before, it's hard for me to judge. But I think there was a pretty decent turnout--especially for a meeting in which the Courthouse Square was not on the agenda. I can't give you much in the way of feedback about content, because I left soon after the first open-comment session was over. I can say that everyone who was called on during that first session was opposed to cutting down trees in favor of putting in additional parking spaces. And everyone made their point eloquently. A couple of us even got applause from those waiting to speak! Judging by the volume of the applause, I would again say that quite a number of "us" were there.

I'll attach my remarks rather than pasting them here, in order not to lose the formatting. I had made copies of this for every member of City Council). (I assume it's attached, although I don't see it at the moment).

(Also, at the last minute I was able to get a letter to the editor into this morning's PD, informing readers about this opportunity. Maybe it made a little difference. Who knows?)

NEXT EVENT: a protest rally & party this Saturday at 1:00 at Courthouse Square at 4th and Santa Rosa Ave. Rain or shine. Let's make a fun ruckus!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Barry; 01-20-2016 at 12:18 PM.

14. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

15. TopTop #39
    tommy

I like unifying Courthouse Square. With the removal of Santa Rosa Ave / Mendocino Ave going through the middle, and unifying the two halves, it will be an appealing place for people, instead of a place for cars to zoom through. The town squares of Sonoma, Healdsburg, and even the small one in Sebastopol, create a space for humans. They're alive with families with kids playing in the fountains, small groups of friends hanging out, a break from the nearby commerce, and a place for music. Town squares are one of the most beautiful parts of city life. Because they're in the middle, and force traffic to go around them, they signify that cities are for people, not cars. Think of all the towns in Vermont, and Massachusetts with town squares, and big trees - they make a city beautiful!

I don't support the removal of the trees... but let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

16. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

17. TopTop #40

SOMETHING ELSE WE CAN DO TO TRY TO STOP THIS!

I'm thinking how much impact we could have it we bombarded the PD with compelling letters to the editor in the few days--so many letters that they might need to devote a whole page to them!

It's best if you have a SR address. But if you don't, you can always say you often visit Sonoma County's "city" (or whatever, in your own words).

AND/OR: You could forward this message to all your SR friends.

The paper has a 200-word limit for letters. E-mail your letter to l[email protected]

Power to the People!

18. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

19. TopTop #41
    rekarp

In this case it is the Santa Rosa City Council who are the decision makers rather than the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by beshiva: View Post
    hi comrades. as someone who has gone many many times to the Board of Supervisors ...
    Last edited by Barry; 01-21-2016 at 11:16 AM.

20. TopTop #42

BRIEF REPORT ON COURTHOUSE SQUARE RALLY

The weather cooperated! And many many people of all ages showed up at the SAVE THE TREES rally this afternoon at Santa Rosa Courthouse Square. At its height I think there were at least a hundred, but people were coming and going all afternoon from noon until around 3:30 A friend who was there (she's 86!!) said her favorite sign read: "What would Luther Burbank say?" I think we raised the consciousness some more. Paetra made it fun. It was her idea for people to write a love letter to a tree and tie their letter to the tree with twine. She also came with tons of small flyers telling people when and where this matter is on the agenda: this coming Tuesday, tentatively scheduled for 6:00 pm.

This is what is expected to happen on Tuesday at 6:00, as written on the City Council agenda:

"RECOMMENDATION: It is recommended by the Transportation andPublic Works Department that Council, by resolution, select an optionand approve the Master Plan for the Courthouse Square ReunificationProject."

Here is what we can do--besides pack the chambers at City Hall, 100 Santa Rosa Ave:

PUBLIC COMMENTS: . . . comments from the public will be allowed on all agenda items at the time each item is called. . . . To address the Council you are requested to complete a yellow SpeakerCard and give it to the City Clerk.

You will find specifics of the plan to be approved at
    https://ci.santa-rosa.ca.us/government/council/Pages/councilmeetingarchive.aspx

And, it's true. They do plan to start cutting down trees the day after the Master Plan is approved, Wed., the 27th. Here it is in the Report:

After selection and approval of the master plan for the Reunification ofCourthouse Square, tree salvage and removal will commence. The trees arebeing removed at this time in order to minimize the possibility that nesting birdscould be disturbed during construction . . . . Some trees deemed to have low nesting potentialwill remain for the time being, and will be removed when construction of theproject begins.

If we discover that the time set aside for this issue has been changed, I will post the new time here.

21. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

22. TopTop #43
    american dream

Apparently this is (likely) our last chance to express our feelings about this process.... Please come to the meeting on Tuesday evening at 6:00 if you possibly can!
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 01-25-2016 at 12:24 PM.

23. TopTop #44
    rekarp

Seems like the only way to stop or modify the project is through a ballot initiative. There is no indication from the City Council that they are listening to critics.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by american dream: View Post
    Apparently this is (likely) our last chance to express our feelings about this process.... Please come to the meeting on Tuesday evening at 6:00 if you possibly can!

24. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

25. TopTop #45
    Shandi

Also, no response to my email, from "Save the Redwoods" organization or ABC 7 news. It's disheartening to know that we have no official support. The reality is that the city council doesn't care, and doesn't represent our concerns on this, and so many other matters. Of course they don't want a ballot initiative, which would be a legal way to oppose this. We, and the trees are being taken down by other priority interests.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-25-2016 at 01:55 PM.

26. TopTop #46
    Shepherd

In 1992 I moved into what I hoped would remain the natural Redwood Empire, with those lovely trees creating oxygen, storing carbon, and bringing moisture down to the ground. Now I find myself living in the commercial "wine country," which buys off many politicians.

I lived in the Boston area before. A proposal came to the City Council to prohibit cars from the downtown core. All the downtown businesses objected, out of fear that it would reduce business. In fact, it increased business, which most of them recognized after about a year. People parked their cars on the perimeter and enjoyed walking around. Our car-centric culture is a deadly threat to human survival on this lovely planet, whereas those redwoods contribute so much.

27. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

28. TopTop #47

PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP

As far as I know, we still have two ways to have our voices heard:

1) Send a compelling e-mail to city council: [email protected] (all city council members).
    Shepherd, the point you make about carless shopping areas actually being good for shopping is (for better or worse) the kind of thing most likely to speak to them. Would you send your message to them? Anyone else with statistics or experience on this point, please write them today.

Anyone who wants to send a message to specific members will find their e-mail addresses at: https://srcity.org/government/counci...s/default.aspx

Yesterday's PD article was very informative; it had a lot of the specifics of the Master Plan:
    https://www.pressdemocrat.com/home/5103037-181/concerns-over-tree-removal-heighten?artslide=0

Here's the link leading to the city council's Master Plan.
    https://ci.santa-rosa.ca.us/government/council/Pages/councilmeetingarchive.aspx
    Start there, then ---> Jan 26 agenda (the 2nd one)---> Courthouse Square Report.
    Most of the specifics of the Master Plan are in those attachments. (Fair warning: it's depressing reading.)

2) Show up in great numbers by 5:30, in order to be ready for the Courthouse Square vote scheduled for 6:00. If you'd like to speak, just fill out a yellow speaker's card the clerk will give you in the Council Chambers. I've been told that City Council must by law listen to everyone who has signed up to speak--even if that means the council meeting has to go to midnight. At the very least, we will have a voice (even if only for 3 minutes). Plus, by turning out en masse we will show them we know and care about what they're doing. And it will be good to remind them that they are our elected representatives, serving at our pleasure (and being voted out at our displeasure).

29. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

30. TopTop #48
    beshiva

the common theme throughout this thread from concerned hearts, is always the same - "they" don't listen to us. and we are right, they don't listen and they won't listen to us unless we are willing to wrap ourselves around our tree friends and chain ourselves. I know it may only delay, but it may save them too. CD is always a gamble but so little is achieved without bodies to stand in the doorways, block up the halls.

you only need to attend BOS, City Council, Human Rights, and last but not least School Board Meetings, to watch and listen to these people who (most of them) are bought and sold. The last SR School Board Meeting was absolutely disgusting, as they voted NOT to name a small school after Eugene Mujares because they methodically set out to defame him, and they succeeded. Many came to speak about what a remarkable man he was and how he touched kids and parents alike for decades. And only a couple of the Board spoke so passionately and lovingly about Eugene. the rest of them dirtied his name.

I can only surmise the City Council will do the same because after all, "you've seen one tree, you've seen them All".

The almighty dollar is all that matters. So, we will have LOTS of parking space to shop till we drop and forget the ambiance of beautiful trees and fountains and a stage and nice benches (perhaps painted by the youth) because who needs that stuff when what the downtown business' really want is for people to SHOP!
    if i could have a nickel for every BOS, Council, etc. meetings i've been to and heard many people ask, even beg, them to "do what is right" i would be very rich. instead they say, thank you for your 3 minutes and call the next name and then proceed to screw us up the kazoo.

most of them need to be voted off and out. and then we wonder who will replace them and when they are replaced will Those people become bought and sold too! ?
    peace beshiva

31. TopTop #49
    Jude Iam

Come to SR City Council Tuesday 5:30 to keep the trees standing.
    See you there, Jude

Dec. 2015

PD Editorial: Keep people first in Courthouse Square reunification plan

(2 of 3) A conceptual drawing for the reunited Old Courthouse Square. No decisions have been made yet about what will go in the interior of the square.

| December 20, 2015

Old Courthouse Square ought to be reunited.

We’ve said so before, and we firmly believe that Santa Rosa would benefit from restoring its historic downtown plaza.
    Success has never seemed closer. After a multitude of studies stretching over two decades, work on the square could begin in six to nine months. When people gather for holiday festivities next year, Old Courthouse Square may yet again consist of one, rather than two squares.

But this project is starting to lose its curb appeal.

The goal is to make the square more attractive for businesses and for public gatherings, with economic benefits rippling across downtown. To accomplish that, vehicle traffic must be steered away from the square. But the plan presented to the City Council in November gives top priority to parking, trading hundreds of square feet of open space for asphalt. Ninety-one trees, including five heritage redwoods, would have to go. So would the fountain on the east side of Old Courthouse Square.
    Santa Rosa Mayor John Sawyer said the changes gave him “heartburn.”

Pass the Alka-Seltzer, Mr. Mayor.

With four traffic lanes carved through the center, Old Courthouse Square is emblematic of downtown’s problem: It’s a place to get through on the way to somewhere else.

It will take more than a reunified square to make downtown a destination. But a central venue for concerts, farmers markets and other events would complement the restaurants, coffee houses and brew pubs already opening as Santa Rosa, like many U.S. cities, experiences the renewed popularity of urban living.

Momentum was building a decade ago when a city-sponsored architecture contest produced an ambitious plan with light sculptures and a waterfall. But the $17 million price tag put the project out of reach when the financial crisis hit in 2008.
    The project languished until a group of downtown merchants and property owners came forward this year with a scaled-back plan that could be completed quickly, and at a cost of about $10 million. “Keep it flexible and simple,” engineer Richard Carlile told The Press Democrat Editorial Board in June. “That’s what we’re after.”

As Carlile described it, the first phase entailed removing traffic from the middle of the square while retaining the redwoods and widening sidewalks to accommodate outdoor dining and pedestrians. The plan featured one-way streets with diagonal parking on each side of the square. Additional features could be added in subsequent phases, he said.

A more detailed presentation in November, when the downtown group sought and received a commitment from the City Council, made clear how much open space would be traded for parking along the new streets, Exchange and Hinton Avenues, which are envisioned to be wide enough to allow passing. The result is a much smaller square, minus at least one fountain and nearly 100 trees. All to gain 47 parking places.
    There may be, as one urban planner said, a perception that downtown Santa Rosa lacks parking. But, with 3,000 parking spaces in the city’s downtown garages and hundreds more along the streets, it’s a perception that ignores reality.
    At the November council meeting, and again at the first workshop to gather public input on the project, many residents panned the idea of maximizing space for cars at the expense of space for people and events. A final plan is still in the works, and city officials and the architects should heed the words of former Mayor Scott Bartley: “No great city has ever been known for being great because of their ample parking.”
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 01-26-2016 at 01:24 PM.

32. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

33. TopTop #50
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by beshiva: View Post
    the common theme throughout this thread from concerned hearts, is always the same - "they" don't listen to us. and we are right, they don't listen and they won't listen to us unless we are willing to wrap ourselves around our tree friends and chain ourselves.
    funny, from this beginning I thought you were going somewhere else - like a reminder that 'concerned hearts' may need to listen, and that rightness isn't a given?

34. Gratitude expressed by:

35. TopTop #51
    Shepherd

The following 4 letters to the editor appear in today's PD about the trees in the SR square. I am including a link, so that people can make online comments before the hearing this evening. Also following is a response that I received from the City and a response to that from an activist, as well as a copy of my post to Waccobb.net.

There seems to be different options regarding how many trees are scheduled to be cut, according to the letter below from the City. I cannot be there this evening, since we have an election at the Sebastopol Grange, but I think knowing the correct number scheduled to be cut is essential to any testimony that people may offer. Shepherd

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/opinio...ditor?ref=menu

Tuesday’s Letters to the Editor, January 26, 2016, 12:05AM

Heart of Santa Rosa
    EDITOR: As owners of Santa Rosa’s oldest downtown business, we have seen it all.
    We want to commend the City Council and staff on the amazing job they have done bringing a project that has been studied and reviewed for the past 30 years to fruition. The reunification of Courthouse Square has been recommended by every study we can remember. The common theme that all of the studies have is a well-designed, dynamic, programmable space in the heart of Santa Rosa.In the conceptual plan presented to the City Council, it was estimated that out of 33 redwood trees, 11 would be removed on the perimeter of the square to restore the street beds and parking for Hinton and Exchange avenues. Through the public design process, the number of redwood trees to be removed is down to eight. Great work.

Also, convenient parking is critical to activating the square as well as the surrounding properties. We urge the council to maintain the diagonal parking as well as straight streets and great design, meeting the recommendations of all the previous studies.
    DOUGLAS and AME VAN DYKE, E.R. Sawyer Jewelers Santa Rosa

Keep it simple
    EDITOR: I have been an architect locally for 35 years, authored Santa Rosa’s original design guidelines and live and work one block from Healdsburg’s Plaza. Here are my two cents on the Old Courthouse Square design.

Look to other successful spaces as a template. In order of precedence: Businesses on all four sides with storefronts to activate the street, streets with parking in front of all businesses, sidewalks where people will walk — the perimeter, corner to corner, side to side. Place the band shell on the north or east so the audience doesn’t look into the sun. Provide benches. And finally, keep it simple.

I have read a lot about the trees. Trees are good. Mature trees are better. Save as many as you can. Trees can be irregularly placed (see Healdsburg). But you can’t have trees in the middle of the street or in the sidewalk in front of the businesses. Hard fact: You will have to remove some big trees. Unfortunate, but there’s no way around it. The good news is trees grow fast in our climate.

This has been a long time coming, and many thanks to this City Council for finally committing to getting it done.
    ALAN B. COHEN, Healdsburg

Save the trees
    EDITOR: How sad that the city of Santa Rosa would even consider cutting down those lovely trees in Old Courthouse Square to put in more parking. Although I live in the west county, I am a frequent visitor to downtown Santa Rosa, and I especially enjoy the many gatherings in the square — gatherings of folks enjoying music, speakers, that sort of thing. The atmosphere of peace and beauty the trees provide always make these events more pleasant in every way.
    LILITH ROGERS, Occidental

Vitality requires parking
    EDITOR: I would like to step back and remember why the plan to reunify Old Courthouse Square began in the first place and what design elements are essential to its success.

Reunification was started to revitalize the heart of the city, both socially and economically. To create a space that would be enjoyed by the community on a daily basis, as well as attract the type of businesses that would produce economic vitality.

Many people blame the current state of the square on the building owners, either because the buildings are vacant or because the ground-floor spaces are leased to banks. Given that the community wants to see this change, the design of the square needs to attract all types of businesses, including retail stores, restaurants, cafes, tasting rooms, brew pubs and hotels.

It is vital to these businesses that parking be maximized and that sidewalks be wide enough to allow for outdoor seating.

The first design option, being presented to City Council today, creates both a visually appealing and safe place for the community, as well as one that attracts the type of businesses that would enhance the long-term vitality of downtown.
    ZACH BERKOWITZ, San Francisco

Best I can tell is they're planning to cut down 8 redwoods (plus 80-some other mature trees). Under one of the two plans, they will "save" 3, resulting in a loss of 5 redwoods. As I understand it, the other plan is the one now preferred, the one in which we lose 8 redwoods. Yesterday's PD article on the topic has been the most informative source I've seen so far: https://www.pressdemocrat.com/home/5103037-181/concerns-over-tree-removal-heighten?artslide=0

Date: January 25, 2016 1:35:23 PM PST
    To: Shepherd Bliss <[email protected]>
    Subject: RE: Please leave redwood trees in the square

Good Afternoon Ms. Bliss,

Thank you for your email. I appreciate your concerns and comments. The current plan to reunify Courthouse Square has been developed to be consistent with the Environmental Impact Report that was certified by the Council in February 2014. Of the 30 Coastal Redwood trees on the site, 22 are retained and incorporated into the preferred alternative and Council will be provided with an option that retains 3 additional Coastal Redwoods. The 5 Coastal Redwoods that will be removed under both scenarios conflict with the re-construction of the historic Hinton and Exchange streets. Three of those trees are immediately in front of the Empire building and the other two in front of Rendezvous. In response to the public feedback, the design team permanently incorporated 3 Coastal Redwoods into the plan that were originally identified for removal and developed the alternative that could retain the 3 additional Coastal Redwoods. We have worked hard to develop a project that is consistent with the project's design guidelines that were approved by Council in November 2015 and the feedback from the public.

If you are interested in previewing the proposals, please go to the project website at www.srcity.org/chs.www.srcity.org/chs. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

This item is currently scheduled as a report item during the City Council meeting of January 26, 2016. Please check the agenda on the link below to view the reports under Item 15.1
    https://srcity.org/government/counci...ngarchive.aspx

I am also attaching a document with information about Tuesday’s meeting for your information.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Very truly yours,

Jason Nutt | Director of Transportation & Public Works
    Transportation and Public Works Department |69 Stony Circle | Santa Rosa, CA 95401
    Tel. (707) 543-3810 | [email protected]

Catherine Noceti | Administrative Secretary
    City Manager’s Office |100 Santa Rosa Ave, Rm 10 | Santa Rosa, CA 95404
    Tel. (707) 543-3019 | Fax (707) 543-3030 | [email protected]

In 1992 I moved into what I hoped would remain the natural Redwood Empire, with those lovely trees creating oxygen, storing carbon, and bringing moisture down to the ground. Now I find myself living in the commercial "wine country," which buys off many politicians.

I lived in the Boston area before. A proposal came to the City Council to prohibit cars from the downtown core. All the downtown businesses objected, out of fear that it would reduce business. In fact, it increased business, which most of them recognized after about a year. People parked their cars on the perimeter and enjoyed walking around. Our car-centric culture is a deadly threat to human survival on this lovely planet, whereas those redwoods contribute so much. Shepherd
    --
    Night is an African juju man
    weaving a wish and a weariness together
    to make two wings.
    O fly away home fly away

--Robert Hayden "Home"
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 01-26-2016 at 01:26 PM.

36. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

37. TopTop #52
    Paetra Tauchert

[ Open the attached .PDF for a clearer view of this flyer ]

Attached Files

38. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

39. TopTop #53
    Eden Man

The Good Plan

We might want to come up with our own Plan, with a Good Name, like the Good Plan, to counter the existing dead end plan, which is too small to feed anything, but the morgue.

And that Good Plan would be to shut down 4th street, to all traffic, 365 days a year, from the Library, right on down to the Mall, to all motorized vehicle traffic.

No Cars. No Trucks on that Street, and No Cars and Trucks on the side streets, or to access the Library basement delivery area. That can all be shut down, and built over. They do not need that. And they should never have built that. That is what needs to be ripped out, or paved over.

We are looking at 6 Big Blocks, count em 6, along with 31/2 or 4 Big Parking Lots, which can all be Accessed, for deliveries,
    from those existing 3rd Street and 5th street Parking Lots, which could be used, as Delivery Zones, with some Manual Carting About, to be sure. But that is good exercise.

Let us put this Good Plan forward, which we can all get excited about, instead of picking at what is so little, which is too much like woodpeckers looking for bugs. Give me a Break. It is not just about the Redwoods.

This is the Good Plan we want to put forwards. The Good Plan has been tried in other places, like in Germany, where the business people put up a lot of resistance.

They fought for their lives. And then it went through. And then it was so successful, because there was so much foot traffic, that they were thrilled about the final results, and everyone was happy, because it revitalized that town.

Yes, we do have an alleyway, for pedestrians, but we are not talking about shoving the kind and loving people down into some alleyway.

We need to take back the Streets. And we can do this with an Integrated Plan. The Good Plan. One that is Human Scale.

The other plan to de-humanize our town will just have to be given the Axe, along with that awful subterranean delivery area at the Library, which is only a good place to find a dead body laying around. - T

40. TopTop #54
    JimmyL

It's interesting to watch this thing play out. Seems like people in Santa Rosa are generally for the plan while the people in the "west county" who only recently found out about the plan and have no say, are objecting very very loudly.

41. TopTop #55
    Shandi

Paetra,
    Thank you so much for your very in depth report. I, and many others appreciate you stepping forward with these facts.
    I can't be there in person, but I'm there in spirit and solidarity with all who voice opposition to this deceitful plan created behind closed doors, by those who stand to benefit the most.

I only wish that someone with equal power would stand up to this council of greed.

42. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

43. TopTop #56
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by JimmyL: View Post
    It's interesting to watch this thing play out. Seems like people in Santa Rosa are generally for the plan while the people in the "west county" who only recently found out about the plan and have no say, are objecting very very loudly.
    that's an interesting impression. I'd be curious to see if that dynamic is actually the case. (not saying that sarcastically - I do think it would be interesting, but it's hard to know the breakdown)

44. TopTop #57
    Shepherd

Following is the PD article on the tree-cutting in SR, which includes the following sentence: “Up to 91 trees of the 114 trees on site today, or nearly 80 percent, will be removed as part of the project.”

I am also including the following link to the article, in case some of you, including those who were there, might care to add an online comment. What's next?

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/5...-council-signs

Santa Rosa City Council signs off on final Courthouse Square design

KEVIN MCCALLUM, THE PRESS DEMOCRAT | January 26, 2016

The final design for the reunification of Old Courthouse Square won unanimous approval from the Santa Rosa City Council early Wednesday morning, a decision hailed by business leaders as a crucial step toward revitalizing the economic heart of the city and denounced by critics as denuding a verdant downtown park of its cherished trees to build roads and parking spaces.

The decision, made shortly after midnight following testimony of dozens of residents for and against the latest iteration of the high-profile project, was punctuated with a group of unabashed tree lovers storming out of the meeting claiming their input had been ignored.

“None of us are happy with cutting down trees, there is no joy in that,” Councilman Chris Coursey said as project critics filed out. “Serving on this council is about balancing competing interests and it’s about making decisions for the greater good. And that’s the decision that I’m making tonight.”

The final vote was greeted with whoops and cheers from the audience that remained remarkably large despite the hour, a testament to the passions of both the tree advocates and the group of dedicated downtown business and property owners who’ve lobbied city officials for more than a year to redesign, streamline, and build the project by the end of 2016.

While that construction deadline is tight and many questioned the rush, Mayor John Sawyer, the longest serving council member and a retailer who owned a downtown business for 35 years, reminded the audience that the project has been debated in some form for three decades.

“This is actually one of the slowest projects I’ve ever seen happen in Santa Rosa,” Sawyer said.

Even so, the decisions made last fall to simplify the design, cap the project at $10 million, borrow the balance of the money needed to get it built, and try to complete the work in a single construction season have left many people’s heads spinning.

Nicholas Haig-Arack said he grew up in Santa Rosa and his dad used to work in the historic Empire Building, so he remembers the trees fondly. But he said it seemed to him the project was being “pushed through very quickly and very suddenly” without enough time for thoughtful consideration of various project elements, such as the safety of having two of having two rows of parking on the reinstalled Hinton and Exchange streets.

“I really want to have a unified downtown square, but I don’t see what the time crunch is about,” Haig-Arack said.

Many critics, some who don’t live in Santa Rosa, said they had only become aware of the project in recent weeks and questioned whether the city had done enough to notify people about it.

Continue reading here: https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/5...-council-signs
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 01-27-2016 at 01:38 PM.

45. Gratitude expressed by:

46. TopTop #58
    Jennifer Novascone

The City Council PASSED UNANIMOUS YES VOTES to continue with the courthouse square reunification reunification plan.

Is anyone in favor of chipping in to help fund a www.change.org petition to stop the development for now? The city will acknowledge signatures. However, we would need to collect real ink voter signatures in order to STOP the plan for further review AND to have the plan out to a public ballot measure vote. How many signatures I have yet to find out.

Anyone? Please comment your ideas and thoughts.

Many thanks!

NOTE: This thread is being closed now that the Santa Rosa Council has approved the plan.
    A new thread has been started called "HELP! City Council PASSED to Continue Courthouse Square Reunification". Please direct any further comments to that thread.

47. Gratitude expressed by: