Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Noreen Evans relocates to Sebastopol, eying Sonoma County supervisor seat

I am heartened to see that Noreen Evans has moved to Sebastopol! Besides being another groovy Sebastopudlian, I think she'd be a big improvement over Efren's at best uneven representation of our progressive district, that is now further undercut by his poor personal conduct and resulting diminished reputation.

What's more, I'm sorry to him lash out at Noreen by saying “I don't believe the 5th District needs another east Santa Rosa resident who comes out of the Fountaingrove or the McDonald Mansion areas as their representative on the Board of Supervisors,” especially when his own standing is so tenuous.

Noreen's heart is arguably more west-county than Efren's, despite her former Santa Rosa address.

Welcome to West County, Noreen!

Barry

Noreen Evans relocates to Sebastopol, eying Sonoma County supervisor seat
    by Angela Hart | The Press Democrat | December 8, 2015,
    Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on email

Former state Sen. Noreen Evans has taken her biggest step yet in what appears to be a looming bid for a seat on the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors, moving into the west county district represented by Supervisor Efren Carrillo.

Evans, 60, has moved into a Sebastopol house that she is renting and has put her east Santa Rosa home up for sale. Still, the former state legislator and Santa Rosa councilwoman refused to say that she had in fact decided to run, while acknowledging the move marked a strong sign she intends to do so.

“I realize that this is frustrating for some people, but this is a pretty life-changing event, so I'm still talking about it with my family and my supporters,” Evans said in an interview this week . “I'm not naïve enough to think I can put my name on the ballot and my support will magically appear ... this will be a difficult and hard-fought campaign, so I want to make sure there's a depth of support out there — enough that I would be able to run a successful campaign.”

Potential rivals eying the seat, including Carrillo, have sharply criticized a potential bid by Evans for the 5th District seat. To be eligible to run, she had to move into the west county district and out of her Rincon Valley home, which falls in the 1st District represented by Board of Supervisors Chairwoman Susan Gorin, a friend and political ally. The 5th District takes in Sebastopol and the coast up to Mendocino County.

“I don't believe the 5th District needs another east Santa Rosa resident who comes out of the Fountaingrove or the McDonald Mansion areas as their representative on the Board of Supervisors,” said Carrillo, referring in sharp but indirect terms to the two other supervisors up for re-election next year — Gorin, who moved out of her Fountaingrove home to Oakmont, the 1st District, when she ran for supervisor in 2012, and Shirlee Zane, the 3rd District supervisor who lives in the stately McDonald Avenue neighborhood of Santa Rosa.

Zane and Gorin have launched their campaigns and begun raising money. Carrillo, 34, has not said whether he plans to run for re-election.

“I've not closed that door,” said Carrillo, who has held the 5th District seat since 2009. “Until March comes, I certainly wouldn't discount it.”

Continues here
    Last edited by Barry; 12-10-2015 at 02:00 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Shepherd

Re: Noreen Evans relocates to Sebastopol, eying Sonoma County supervisor seat

This is truly good news, confirming that Noreen Evans has moved to our small town. What a blessing to have such an experienced and progressive person with substantial political and environmental experience living here. Indeed, as Barry says, "Welcome to West County, Noreen!"

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I am heartened to see that Noreen Evans has moved to Sebastopol! Besides being another groovy Sebastopudlian, ...
    Last edited by Barry; 12-10-2015 at 01:59 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Valley Oak

Although I cannot say so for certain, because I am myself a Santa Rosa resident, it seems to me that Noreen is a political death knell for Efren.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, my dear Sebastopolites.

6. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

7. TopTop #4
    rekarp

Note that Sebastopol is only a small part of the 5th district, which covers the coast, lower river area, Sebastopol, and West and Southwest Santa Rosa to Hwy 101. https://sonomacounty.ca.gov/Board-of...ial-Districts/

As to Efren's political future, at this point that is just speculation, independent upon whether one lives in Santa Rosa or Sebastopol.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-13-2015 at 11:56 AM.

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #5
    wisewomn

Carrillo was quoted recently in the PD saying, referencing Noreen Evans, that the B of S did not need another white liberal from an affluent area of SR. He still hasn't committed but if he decides not to run, I bet he comes out in support of his old crony, Eric Whatshisface.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Edward Mendoza: View Post
    ... it seems to me that Noreen is a political death knell for Efren....
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 12-14-2015 at 12:25 PM.

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #6
    Valley Oak

First, I need to apologize for my ignorance of "Eric Whatshisface." I have no idea who that person is or was.

Second, if this rude and disrespectful commentary was made by Carrillo (a citation here is important) then he has simply demonstrated once again that he is unfit for public office.

Third, if Evans does run, she is going mop up the floor with his punk ass and become one of the best 5th District sups there has ever been.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wisewomn: View Post
    Carrillo was quoted recently in the PD saying, referencing Noreen Evans... but if he decides not to run, I bet he comes out in support of his old crony, Eric Whatshisface.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 12-14-2015 at 12:24 PM.

12. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

13. TopTop #7
    jbox

...it seems to me that Noreen is a political death knell for Efren...
    Before we all gush for Noreen, let's consider if we want another retread professional politician who just rented a house here in the 5th district so she can set up her political machine. I see this as carpetbagging, pure and simple. For all of Efren's mistakes, which he has taken full and painful responsibility for, he has worked very hard for our district. If she has been term limited out she should find "honest" work as a personal injury lawyer or lobbyist.

14. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

15. TopTop #8
    Michael Anthony

Without disrespect to Noreen Evans or the participants of this thread, the idea of any person moving to Sebastopol solely for political office unnerves me.

If a person seeks to represent the citizens of west county, shouldn't that person be a long standing citizen from the same?

I feel that this is a valid question which deserves to be asked.

16. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

17. TopTop #9
    scamperwillow

First of all, everyone seems to forget that Efren, moved into the district to run. Rented a little apartment and we all know what happened there... Secondly, Noreen was not termed out - she chose to leave the Senate. Third she is very busy right now as an appeals attorney. She is thinking of running because she thinks she can do some good for the County in this role.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jbox: View Post
    Before we all gush for Noreen, let's consider if we want another retread professional politician who just rented a house here in the 5th district...

18. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

19. TopTop #10
    scamperwillow

Noreen is already VERY familiar with west county and the rest of the fifth district. It was part of her senate district the past 4 years. And she represented the Santa Rosa portion when she was on the city council.

She has also
    - Prevented the closure of Austin Creek State Recreational Area, as well as numerous other parks around the state.
    - Prevented the State from assessing visitor fees at 14 beaches at Sonoma State Beaches and Salt Point State Park
    - Got State Parks to expedite the roofing project for restoration of the historic Rotchev House at Fort Ross State Park
    - Authored SB 470 (2012) that extended the Salmon Stamp program, which provides funds for restoration of salmon habitat.
    - Authored SB 369 (2012), which set crab trap limits for commercial crab boats. The bill was supported by Bodega Bay fishermen, as well as the Environmental Defense Fund and the Pacific Federation of Fishermen’s Associations
    - Pressured CalPERS and CalFire to withdraw support for Preservation Ranch
    - As a member of the Coastal Conservancy, supported development of the Coastal Trail
    - Helped secure funding for the preservation of the Jenner Headlands
    - Supported the development of State Marine Protected Areas. In west county they are off of Bodega Bay, the Russian River and Salt Point.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Michael Anthony: View Post
    ...If a person seeks to represent the citizens of west county, shouldn't that person be a long standing citizen from the same?...

20. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

21. TopTop #11
    WaccoBB Poet Laureate

I have known and worked closely with most of Sonoma County's officeholders for many years. Out of all of these (and we do have some outstanding public servants), Noreen may be the one with the highest level of integrity and commitment to social justice and the environmental. She is principled, smart and courageous. Her core values are in line with the best in West County.

She may not have lived in the 5th district long but she is well-informed about the issues that are important to our area. A County Supervisor does not just work for her or his district; the job is really county-wide and requires a good understanding of how all the pieces fit together. Noreen has been a champion for progressive values in Sonoma County for over twenty years. I can't think of anyone more qualified to represent us!

22. Gratitude expressed by 10 members:

23. TopTop #12
    Valley Oak

Jon, surmising from the abundant history, evidence and testimonies posted on this thread, the "gushing" is amply justified and in full swing, much to your chagrin.

Before we all gush for Noreen...

24. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

25. TopTop #13
    tommy

Noreen has a very good reputation. Progressives I trust are hopeful she'll run.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-15-2015 at 12:07 PM.

26. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

27. TopTop #14
    beshiva

Eric Koenigshoffer (that's whathisface)...has been Carrillo's sidekick for awhile, and was appointed to the Task Force by Efren, the impotent Task Force that is..and he used to be Supervisor, let us not forget he has been kissing up, kissing butt, for a very long time.and does have a lot of friends, just not the nice ones...but, he would Love to represent the district...for the same reason as Noreen, it's the easiest one to win.

Carrillo should just go away, quietly, and finally ! as he has surely made mistakes, and keeps on making them.
    he Never stood up to the Sheriff concerning Andy Lopez, or the piling on of lawsuits, all against the Sheriff and even tried to block efforts to naming Andy's Park. Along with his other pathetic Supervisors, refuses to ask the DOJ to come here and clean house and constantly ignores the millions paid out by deputy misconduct over the past decade. And like the rest of them, gave himself a raise. . Frankly, i have never seen him as being effective, he is a young, snotty, ass kissing politician like all the rest and he could give a hoot about the Latino Community., unless it's the very conservative, business Latino Community.

I do believe Noreen moved to our West County, simply, to get in position because this was gonna be the easiest district to win, so she thinks. I don't believe she relates to this area whatsoever and could care less about us...i mean, realistically, who does care about the West County?

Collectively, the Board of Supervisors make over $2 million annually, and with straight-faces tell the $15 hr. folks who beg for a little raise that there just isn't enough $$$ to go around....i have no respect for these greedy pigs, they are owned by the Wine Industry and bossed around by the Sheriff...tied up quite neatly, and the rest of us grovel...Noreen won't be any different.
    beshiva

Before we all gush for Noreen, ...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 12-15-2015 at 12:41 PM.

28. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

29. TopTop #15
    Michael Anthony

What if Noreen Evans was not a progressive but rather, a conservative who supports winery event centers and genetically modified organisms; how many participants to this thread who now welcome her, would object to her political relocation as a means to defeat her?

30. Gratitude expressed by:

31. TopTop #16
    rekarp

What's your point? There are already plenty of people on this thread that are disturbed by her moving to Sebastopol just to run for office. Are you implying that progressives have less integrity than anyone else?

What if Noreen Evans was not a progressive but rather, a conservative who supports winery event centers and genetically modified organisms; how many participants to this thread who now welcome her, would object to her political relocation as a means to defeat her?

32. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

33. TopTop #17
    Michael Anthony

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rekarp: View Post
    ...Are you implying that progressives have less integrity than anyone else?
    No.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-17-2015 at 12:41 PM.

34. TopTop #18
    beshiva

i suppose i would ask Noreen what she knows about Moorland and what has she done to support this community and helped them to become an empowered community? What does she think about the brush the Sheriff's Dept. paints of this community? and why do they do continue to do so? and specifically i would ask her what would she do to help the Latino Community? What would she do about oversight of Law Enforcement in our communities? just a start...
    peace
    beshiva

35. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

36. TopTop #19
    Valley Oak

All excellent points, Chris!
    Carrillo has failed miserably at all of those points you astutely mentioned.
    Time for a change: Anyone but Carrillo.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by beshiva: View Post
    i suppose i would ask Noreen what she knows about Moorland and ...
    Last edited by Barry; 12-17-2015 at 12:42 PM.

37. Gratitude expressed by:

38. TopTop #20
    Dorothy Friberg

...Carrillo has failed miserably at all of those points you astutely mentioned....Time for a change: Anyone but Carrillo.
    I heartily disagree. I am not sure what Effren has done in regard to the Sheriff Dept. but appears to me that they (said dept.) consider themselves above reproach - in a way untouchable. As to Efren's leadership in our community, I don't see his vision as myopic. I personally have witnessed his leadership in the Roseland community,mentoring and encouraging both businesses and community activists. I have seen his ambassador-ship at Fort Ross reaching out to the Russian community. I have read his columns in the monthly paper giving us a view of the status of "our county".

39. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

40. TopTop #21
    beshiva

actually, many of us in the community have been social activists for a long time and Efren actually has very little support from the Latino community, so not sure what YOU are talking about. Roseland, AND Moorland would never ever have been on his radar if it was not for the killing of Andy Lopez. If you don't know the history of these areas and you don't know the history of Andy, then you're not paying attention.

i'm not a hate monger but i'm all too familiar with the BOS in this county and their lack of leadership. i will say it again, they are Owned by the wine industry. And no one ever will get elected to that Board without Freitas'
    endorsement. if you are unable to see and understand the politics of our county, sorry, i'm sure i will not be able to convince you either just needed to point out Efren had a chance and blew big time!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dorothy Friberg: View Post
    ...As to Efren's leadership in our community, I don't see his vision as myopic. ...

41. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

42. TopTop #22
    Michael Anthony

Recently, I reviewed this link to the 245 bills that Noreen Evans authored or co-sponsored during her tenure as a California legislator. The majority of her actions on these bills I found totally agreeable but there were a few with which I found disfavor.

First, Ms. Evans' campaigns were markedly funded by Beer, Wine & Liquor interests. Here is a link to a list of her Beer, Wine & Liquor donors. Interestingly enough, one bill that she sponsored that became law was SCR-94 "California Wines: Down to Earth" month, timed to Earth Day on April 22, 2014. Here is a link to the Bill Text for SCR-94.

Second, Ms. Evans' campaigns were heavily funded by Attorneys and Law Firm interests. Here is a link to a list of her Attorney and Law Firm donors. A marked number of the 245 bills that she sponsored involved the practice of law.

Third, Ms. Evans' campaigns were to a lesser extent funded by Gambling and Casino interests. Here is a link to a list of her Gambling and Casino donors. In return, she authored SB-406 "relating to tribal court civil judgments" making tribal court money judgments enforceable in California courts. Some of these tribal court money judgments are derived from the default of loans with interest in some cases, as much as 700%. Here is a link to the Bill Text for SB-406.

Fourth, Ms. Evans' campaigns were funded in a small part by Chemical & Related Manufacturing interests. Here is a link to a list of her Chemical and Related Manufacturing donors. Definitely not West County in my opinion.

Other than those actions with which I found exception to and listed above, Ms. Evans' congressional tenure was great for women's issues and for the most part, the environment and the agricultural prohibition of genetically modified organisms. Complete lists of Noreen Evans' sponsored bills and campaign donors can be researched through the above links.

43. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

44. TopTop #23
    scamperwillow

Many of the winery donations were wine for her events - and she sometimes also donated wine to other events. She was chair of the senate wine committee, so it makes sense. And since she is an attorney and was chair of the judicial committee the law donations make sense as well.

...First, Ms. Evans' campaigns were markedly funded by Beer, Wine & Liquor interests. Here is a link to a list of her Beer, Wine & Liquor donors. Interestingly enough, one bill that she sponsored that became law was SCR-94 "California Wines: Down to Earth" month, timed to Earth Day on April 22, 2014. Here is a link to the Bill Text for SCR-94....

45. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

46. TopTop #24
    Shepherd

I appreciate both Michael Anthony's research and this response by Marty. I think the most important thing to do now is to discourage Efren Carrillo from running, or his stand in, Erik K.

Accepting wine donations for events certainly makes sense. Though I am a critic of Big Wine, I have accepted such donations myself. When the Sebastopol Grange was doing a benefit for the Lake County fire victims, I was at a meeting with Ken Freeman of Freeman Winery. He volunteered a case of wine, which I willingly accepted. It contributed to the some $18,000 or so that we raised. We need to carefully differentiate between local grape growers, wine makers, and vintners, and the corporate wineries who take the money out of the county and those who do events without permits.

The only potential candidate who has taken out papers so far is Linda Hopkins. She is apparently a member of a grape growing family. I do not hold that against her, especially since she and her husband are farmers. I hope that Noreen does enter the race for 5th District Supervisor, and that we do make the wine industry an issue in this race.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    Many of the winery donations were wine for her events - and she sometimes also donated wine to other events. ...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 01-04-2016 at 12:35 PM.

47. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

48. TopTop #25
    Glia

More like the fox running the hen-house, especially the last sentence (below).

A classic example of why we need to get new, younger people who are legitimate residents of the district they are running in, *NOT* carpetbagging lawyers and/or politicos dredged out of the recycling bin.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    Many of the winery donations were wine for her events - and she sometimes also donated wine to other events. She was chair of the senate wine committee, so it makes sense. And since she is an attorney and was chair of the judicial committee the law donations make sense as well.

49. Gratitude expressed by:

50. TopTop #26
    scamperwillow

This is a perfect question to ask Noreen if and when she decides to run. I do know that she is supportive of the wine industry and also very supportive of the environment and agriculture - as well as parks, hiking trails, the coast, community separators and urban growth boundaries.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sealwatcher: View Post
    ...Considering how controversial vineyards, wineries and their events are in the county, do you have any idea how Noreen would deal with this?
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 01-04-2016 at 12:36 PM.

51. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

52. TopTop #27
    Dorothy Friberg

I don't agree that we should further crucify Mr. Carrillo. I admire his ability to rise above his detractors, continue his leadership in his position, and continue to improve himself in the face of fire.

53. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

54. TopTop #28
    Valley Oak

Carrillo's "leadership" is NOT the kind of leadership the public needs or wants. We deserve better. The man is an embarrassment, to say the least.

Every time I hear women express misandric opinions, it is because of hideous conduct such as Carrillo's that is at it's root.

Carrillo will lose if he commits the folly of running for re-election.

Carrillo has got to go. Anyone but Carrillo.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dorothy Friberg: View Post
    I don't agree that we should further crucify Mr. Carrillo. I admire his ability to rise above his detractors, continue his leadership in his position, and continue to improve himself in the face of fire.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-06-2016 at 08:40 PM.

55. Gratitude expressed by 5 members: