Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Hansie

HELP - my 3 indoor cats got FLEAS!

Hey it's Hansie here
    My 3 indoor cats have suddenly got fleas ... it sucks!! I visits clients every day with outdoor cats and most likely I brought the fleas home myself at some point. Now my 3 indoor cats have got fleas, and I really need to advise on WHAT is the best method / product to get rid of fleas. The sooner the better. It hurts me deeply to see my cats being pleagued.
    Please advise - please email me at [email protected] and/or [email protected]
    Thanks for great support and a great board!
    Hansie
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    bobafifi

Re: HELP - my 3 indoor cats got FLEAS!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Hansie:
    Hey it's Hansie here
    WHAT is the best method / product to get rid of fleas.
    Advantage

-Bob
    https://www.usedviolins.com

3. TopTop #3
    helenscott08

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Hansie:
    Hey it's Hansie here
    My 3 indoor cats have suddenly got fleas ... it sucks!! I visits clients every day with outdoor cats and most likely I brought the fleas home myself at some point. Now my 3 indoor cats have got fleas, and I really need to advise on WHAT is the best method / product to get rid of fleas. The sooner the better. It hurts me deeply to see my cats being pleagued.
    Please advise - please email me at [email protected] and/or [email protected]
    Thanks for great support and a great board!
    Hansie
    I agree with BOB that ADVANTAGE is excellent. ALSO, please note that you do not have to be anywhere there are other cats to bring fleas into your own house.

If you are walking in grass or just about any other place you will probably bring a flea home with you.

helen s

4. TopTop #4
    "Mad" Miles

Advantage, and check the dosages recommended by cat size and be conservative, but not too conservative, when applying it. Also use a syringe applicator (don't worry, no needle involved!) and put it between their shoulder blades or the back of their neck at the base of their skull. Those are basically the only two areas where they can't lick it off themselves. Make sure they're not licking it off each other. Smear it around a bit in those areas after dropping on their skin under their hair. Be sure to wash your hands afterwards.

Don't forget the periodic application updates required to keep them flea free.

If you happen to be absolutely, totally opposed to the use of extremely mild neurotoxins that only affect insects, then frequent, daily flea combing is a less satisfactory alternative.

Be sure to dip the fleas in some mildly soapy warm water. That will quickly kill them and prevent them from escaping and continuing to feed and breed. They can hold their breath under water! And having to squish/pop each and every one is time consuming and gross!

If your cats are really infested right now, I would go with the flea combing while waiting for the Advantage to take effect. It will take two to four days to wipe out the little nasties.

Also watch out, when the fleas no longer find your cats hospitable hosts, they'll come for you!

"Mad" Miles

:mad: :FireDevil

5. TopTop #5
    wildflower

I use ADVANTAGE too!
    Last edited by Barry; 05-19-2006 at 09:20 AM.

6. TopTop #6
    SJM

I changed from Advantage to Frontline a wihle ago when I discovered that Advantage does not protect against Ticks and when my three cats seemed to get fleas even though they had been getting Advantage monthly....(rumor at the vet's office was that there had been a "bad" batch of Advantage; they had heard similar tales...) Frontline is available at all the online places (Jeffers Pet seems to be the cheapest)

7. TopTop #7
    MarkPenn

If you want it NOW and don't want to wait for a shipped item purchased on-line, try the "Paws to Shop" store at the Humane Society on Hwy 12 (Noon -5:30 daily). They sell Advantage/Advantix/Frontline in six-packs. Prices there will be better than almost any retail outlet in the county, and your money will be going to a good cause (it's volunteer run).
    --Mark
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by wildflower:
    I use ADVANTAGE too!

8. TopTop #8
    Mita Moni

Advantage on the cats, vacuum a lot or shapoo your carpets, and apply the Flea Busters Powder available at carpet care shops and at some vet clinics. It is a non toxic powder made of diatomaceous earth that you work into your rugs and carpets. It desicates the flea larva.

My cats are indoor/outdoor and Advantage and vacuuming keeps them flea free. Barrie

9. TopTop #9
    helenscott08

Hi Everyone: I almost forgot that another great product for ridding your house of fleas, etc. is 20 MULE TEAM BORAX. It is very pure (as I understand it), can be sprinkled in your rugs, pet beds, etc. You can also place a bowl of 20 Mule Team Borax in discreet place in room and it helps to deordize the room.

As an aside it can be used for many, many other things, such as in your laundry, cleaning of pet stains on rugs, cleaning pots and dishes of hard to remove stains, and on and on. See the box for other suggestions.

helen s

[QUOTE=Mita Moni]Advantage on the cats, vacuum a lot or shapoo your carpets, and apply the Flea Busters Powder available at carpet care shops and at some vet clinics. It is a non toxic powder made of diatomaceous earth that you work into your rugs and carpets. It desicates the flea larva.

My cats are indoor/outdoor and Advantage and vacuuming keeps them flea free. Barrie[/QUOTE

10. TopTop #10
    SJM

I know that this was all a while back, but I have an update to offer. I have just spent an immense amount of heartache, time and money trying to mitigate the effects of what appears to be a case of counterfeit Frontline. The short story is that counterfeiting this stuff is very profitable, and the results are hard to discern .... until your pet (or 3 pets in my case) has the shakes, high fever, etc., etc., etc....all of the earmarks of Pyrethrin toxicity (Pyrethrin is a whole lot cheaper than Fiprinol, which is what Frontline should have in it !!).

We all like to save money, but the money I spent saving the dogs would have bought a lot of Advantage (which according to the vet is actually safer) direct from the vet. Buying from petstores (bricks and mortar or online, in or out of the country) is too damn dangerous. We just found that out the hard and painful way.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by sassydog:
    Hi Everyone: I almost forgot that another great product for ridding your house of fleas, etc. is 20 MULE TEAM BORAX. It is very pure (as I understand it), can be sprinkled in your rugs, pet beds, etc. You can also place a bowl of 20 Mule Team Borax in discreet place in room and it helps to deordize the room.

As an aside it can be used for many, many other things, such as in your laundry, cleaning of pet stains on rugs, cleaning pots and dishes of hard to remove stains, and on and on. See the box for other suggestions.
    helen s
    Last edited by Barry; 05-19-2006 at 09:21 AM.

11. TopTop #11
    Portia
    Supporting Member

Are there no other alternatives? I would prefer a less toxic approach then Advantage/Frontline and so would my pocketbook.

Flea Treats - "the Vitamin B Complex Dietary Supplement", which I first bought at the Fair and now via an 800 #, helps minimize the problem though it does not rid our house of fleas. Unfortunately my older cats don't like it anymore.

Portia,
    Who doesn't want to coexist with Advantage or Frontline.

12. TopTop #12
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Portia:
    Are there no other alternatives?
    Who you gonna call???
    FLEABUSTERS!
    (Where's the chorus when you need them?)

This stuff is a refined version of borax and kills the fleas by dehydrating their larvae (we're pro-choice, right? ). So it doen't work instantly (takes weeks), but it lasts for a year! Gauranteed!

I used to hire them to come treat my house (it was the only way you could get it) and it was expensive, but now I see they are selling the powder. Looks like you can do most houses for just $40! You gotta give this stuff a try!

As far as I know, this is as natural as you can get and still get rid of the little...scratch, scratch... buggers!
    Last edited by Barry; 05-19-2006 at 09:22 AM.

13. TopTop #13
    Braggi

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Portia:
    Portia,
    Who doesn't want to coexist with Advantage or Frontline.
    Don't fear the Frontline. We swear by it. It's the cheapest and most effective treatment I've ever used. We only treat our cats about three or four times a year and we have no fleas in the house. The fleas jump on the cats and die. No need to treat carpets or furniture.

Best of luck whatever you choose.

BTW, I buy it online, most recently at entirelypets.com.

-Jeff
    Last edited by Barry; 05-19-2006 at 09:22 AM.

14. TopTop #14
    alanora

I buy my advantage for the kitty in the single large canine size, empty it into a vaccutainer and use a syringe to draw up appropriate kitty dosage .4cc. I mark the syringe dosage spot by roughing up a spot on the barrel as the numerals will vanish when they contact the solution. There are 10 kitty doses in each plastic vial..which @ $15./per, making the stuff extremely affordable for most budgets, @ $1.50 per .4cc dose. It is a debatable practice but as my cat weighs over 16lbs, I tend to use a little bit more. The compound is strong smelling and sits like an oil slick for a while, but by late the next day becomes virtually undetectable. Have never tried borax.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-19-2006 at 09:23 AM.

15. TopTop #15
    alanora

I buy my advantage for the kitty in the single large canine size, empty it into a vaccutainer and use a syringe to draw up appropriate kitty dosage .4cc. I mark the syringe dosage spot by roughing up a spot on the barrel as the numerals will vanish when they contact the solution. There are 10 kitty doses in each plastic vial..which @ $15./per, making the stuff extremely affordable for most budgets, @ $1.50 per .4cc dose. It is a debatable practice but as my cat weighs over 16lbs, I tend to use a little bit more. The compound is strong smelling and sits like an oil slick for a while, but by late the next day becomes virtually undetectable. Have never tried borax.

16. TopTop #16
    SJM

I had been using Advantage for years, changed to Frontline (when I realized the Advantage didn't have tick protection) and was extremely pleased. Don't misunderstand me; check out my posting from several months back praising the Frontline.

The problem is with COUNTERFEIT product that is virtually undetectable until/unless the product inside is analyzed. I have three dogs in their third day of misery due to the application of Frontline bought from a perfectly reputable online company (in the US). Every indication is that what was inside the tiny vials was not Frontline. It's just a very scary thing when it happens to you and yours. I wouldn't wish the waiting and watching and hoping they will survive on anyone.

Frontline and Advantage are not the big picture here. The profitability and the ease of counterfeiting the product are. I'm all in favor of saving money whenever I can, which is why I have bought my Advantage and my Frontline on line for years. Now, however, a small glitch has endangered my beloved dogs and I absolutely did not see it coming. I know it is rare, and I certainly understand anyone and everyone figuring that it can't happen to them, but....it just happened to me/us....and it's pretty horrible.

Sorry for the rant.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-19-2006 at 09:23 AM.

17. TopTop #17
    HomeSweetHome

I am not a big fan of chemical preventatives myself but have been known to use them sparingly every once in awhile. I will dose everyone in the house with Advantage only when I see fleas. Also be aware that the manufacturer recommends dosing every 30 days because it is easier to remember and means more $$$ for them when a dose can actually last from 45-60 days. Oh, and lemon Joy will kill fleas instantly if you are up to giving your kitties a bath :) Pour a mix of the soap and water on them first rather than let them get wet then lather or else when the fleas get wet they will run to the head or just jump off.

As a side note, just by switching to a raw diet changes the body chemistry so that animals are more resistant to parasites in general. Our dogs go in and out of the house and I almost never see fleas on them but when our strictly indoor cat still ate kibble she was the one who would have problems.