Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Thread: PETA kills dog
  • Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

PETA kills dog

Whats with PETA anyway? Their name, "People for Ethical Treatment of Animals," is grossly contradicted by two of its employees murdering a girl's pet dog!

WTF?

PETA Killed A Little Girl's Dog, And Her Family Wants Them To Pay. A Lot.

"We wanted to hold PETA accountable for what they did to Maya and the Zarate family."

Two employees of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals took and killed a little girl's dog just over a year ago.

Now a lawsuit has been filed in Virginia state court asking PETA to pay Wilber Zarate Llaven and his daughter Cynthia more than $7 million in compensatory and punitive damages for the death of Maya the Chihuahua.
    "We wanted to hold PETA accountable for what they did to Maya and the Zarate family," the family's attorney, William Shewmake, told The Huffington Post.

PETA -- which operates a controversial, high-kill animal shelter at its headquarters in Norfolk, Virginia -- has already admitted to killing the dog.

Surveillance footage shows two PETA employees luring Maya away from the Zarates' mobile home and into their van. She was dead by the next day, when the family reached shelter workers looking for their dog.

In February, after being fined $500 by the Commonwealth of Virginia, the group said in a statement that Maya had accidentally been taken as part of a roundup of stray and unwanted animals in the area. Maya's killing was called "extremely upsetting" and a "tragic mistake." The fine was for killing Maya too quickly; under Virginia law, she should have been kept alive for at least five days.

The suit, which you can read here, was filed Monday.

To continue reading, go to: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0258edb335808
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 11-25-2015 at 01:21 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    bill shearer

Re: PETA kills dog

As much as I dislike peta this hufpo article is, as hufpo often does, exaggerated. Read more at https://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/petakillspets.asp

Cheers, Dodie

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Shandi

After reading what Snopes reported, it doesn't seem exaggerated to me, at all. What am I missing?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by bill shearer: View Post
    As much as I dislike peta this hufpo article is, as hufpo often does, exaggerated. Read more at https://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/petakillspets.asp

Cheers, Dodie

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    bill shearer

The hufpo article leaves out pertinent information and implies that peta workers routinely lure pets away from families for the sole purpose of killing the animals. I absolutely do not like peta and I hope that they cease to exist or morph into a actual animal welfare organization.
    They are (and they admit) culpable for illegally killing this dog, that they illegally took the dog is less clear. They were there to remove strays at the request of the park owner and a neighbor whose livestock had been mauled by dogs. Maya did not have a collar or other identification and was loose(the leases provided that no dogs were allowed to run free in the trailer park).The two peta workers involved in incident were arrested but not prosecuted due to a lack of evidence they possessed criminal intent. Peta did wrong but the Cerate's contributed to this tragic event by not providing Maya with identification and by not containing her.
    As I said I do not like peta and if they are sued out of existence I'm good with that, but I believe that facts matter, otherwise we have nothing real to talk about.
    Dodie

8. Gratitude expressed by: