Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Dixon

Where should I go for inexpensive dentistry?

My VA medical coverage doesn't include dental, so I haven't had dental treatment in about 10 years. I have pain in several areas of my mouth and will need at least one tooth extracted, plus presumably some fillings and or crowns. I've decided to spend my meager savings on dental work, but must make every penny count. I hear that some folks go to other countries where they can get good dental work done cheaply enough that it saves them money even counting the cost of the plane ride and hotel. Costa Rica has been recommended to me. Does anyone else have recommendations--particularly specific recommendations with contact info, prices, or whatever? And, does anyone else want to maybe go with me for similar services so neither of us has to be alone in a foreign land while going through this?

Thanks in advance for any info.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Dr Pam

Re: Where should I go for inexpensive dentistry?

You probably want to check into dental schools first.

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    poetrytalks

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    ...Does anyone else have recommendations--particularly specific recommendations with contact info, prices..
    Covered CA has dental insurance one can purchase now. Costco members can get inexpensive dental insurance and Gentle Dental has inexpensive in-house insurance that lowers costs. Vista Health Center offers dental services with sliding scale, takes a long time to get in.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 11-17-2015 at 12:16 PM.

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

6. TopTop #4

Here's a big picture of the Dental School experience - our closest is only SF. I did it for crowns and implants 10+ years ago - once using the Parnassus UCSF campus and a couple times at the far more convenient Dugoni campus which supposedly moved from Pacific Heights to 155 5th St. in 2014... but that may not be an issue, I'll explain.)

https://www.dental.pacific.edu/Denta...in_Clinic.html
    https://www.dental.pacific.edu/News_...Veterans_.html
    (The second link says special service for vets, but it reads the same '30-40% off' average rates like the main info anyway.)

The Good:
    1. The work I received was very cautiously done and extremely high quality. The 'students' were weeks or months away from receiving their doctorate and going out on their own.
    2. (At the time) they offered no-interest payment plans with a downpayment and didn't seem to care about your credit score.
    3. It was lower cost. The caveat is the extreme amount of time and effort it takes to minimize the hidden costs.

The Extra Time and Effort:
    1. You end up having to go 2 or 3 times for 3+ hour sessions for what would take you one visit locally.

2. Here's how a visit goes: The student begins a procedure, calls the teacher for review before going on to the next step (in a big room of 50+ stalls with teachers moving around as needed), it's often a 10-30 minute wait for the teacher to arrive and approve between each procedure. One time an impression took 6 repeats. Luckily you are charged a flat rate for specific services, not by the time it takes.

3. Hidden costs that really add up: gas, toll, parking, a meal, your time. ONE visit will take you 3 hours travel, 3+hours in the chair, another 2 hours of miscellaneous waiting room, to and from your car and getting some refreshment time, and $20-40+ in unavoidable costs depending on your parking choice.

4. Implants could take you 6+? sessions, crowns 3-5.

INFO/TIPS
    You are assigned one student for all work. Working days are divided into 2 or 3 3-hour sessions.

1. After the mandatory initial assessment-only visit which is a lot of waiting for both a financial advisor and assessment by your student to give you a plan/cost..... whenever possible schedule TWO sessions per day. I chose the days where I could get an afternoon (2-5?) and an evening (6:30-9?). Besides getting as much done as possible for one day's cost and hassle, this meant that I avoided rush hour traffic both ways. If you can deal with morning traffic, I'd suggest scheduling a THREE session day.

2. Huge hassle & cost saving tip: Forget driving thru SF and exorbitant parking garages. Park right at the other side of the GG bridge either at the Marina towards Safeway for free or Fort Mason for $7 for the day. Use the bus system right there that comes every 4 minutes to get to campus cheaply and hassle free. You could easily bus back, but I loved walking all the way back to my car after the evening sessions, taking my time, soaking in SF life and scenery, stopping for a meal or treat.

All that said, I've decided at least that crowns and implants were not worth the dragged out hassle. Other things may be worth it if they don't take excessive multiple visits - the problem is that with some procedures you have to 'heal' a bit before coming back or doing something else, and you're forced to schedule single session days.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 11-17-2015 at 12:17 PM.

7. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

8. TopTop #5
    Thad

Sent you a private email. Just want to make sure you get it.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-17-2015 at 08:33 AM.

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #6
    Shandi

My friend gets all her dental work done in Tijuana, and is very pleased with the dentist, Dr. Bartell. I almost made the trip with her last year, but it got canceled. I found his information online, and talked with him. I was very surprised at the low cost. My work would have taken 2-3 days, so that means a hotel, but still very cheap.
    I think it's a good idea to go with someone. And it's closer than Costa Rica.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 11-17-2015 at 01:01 PM.

11. Gratitude expressed by:

12. TopTop #7
    Seabaz

There's a thread on this. All dentists don't do the same quality work. I go all the way to Tijuana for my work and I go to the only Mexico dentist accredited by the iaomt which is and advocate for non metal non fluoride holistic dentistry. They are extra thorough and at the same time more conservative than your usual dentist. Villafanabiologicaldentistry.com short trip across the border.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 11-17-2015 at 12:18 PM.

13. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

14. TopTop #8
    Shepherd

I go to the Santa Rosa Junior College once a year for cleaning, which only costs $40. It is worth it.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 11-17-2015 at 12:19 PM.

15. Gratitude expressed by:

16. TopTop #9
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    I go to the Santa Rosa Junior College once a year for cleaning...
    Shepherd, do you know whether SRJC also offers extractions, fillings, etc.?

17. TopTop #10
    Seabaz

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    Shepherd, do you know whether SRJC also offers extractions, fillings, etc.?
    I'll tell you they don't and that you don't want to mess around with inexperienced dentists but if you do try UCSF
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 11-17-2015 at 12:19 PM.

18. Gratitude expressed by:

19. TopTop #11
    Shandi

I've had FREE x-rays and cleanings here by students who needed to do work to graduate.
    But it took several trips. It was fairly pleasant.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    I go to the Santa Rosa Junior College once a year for cleaning, which only costs $40. It is worth it.

20. Gratitude expressed by:

21. TopTop #12
    Richard Nichols

Mexico, the saving could pay for the trip, depending on what you need done, of course
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 11-19-2015 at 11:30 AM.

22. Gratitude expressed by:

23. TopTop #13
    zengoodale

Hello, If you are over 50, you can join AARP for $16 a year. They have a Denta Dental plan for $28 a month. You can get crowns for $28-$350 each. The provider agrees to give services for quoted prices and you can only go to the provider they choose. but the prices are rock bottom, check it out.
    Last edited by Barry; 11-27-2015 at 10:58 AM.

24. Gratitude expressed by:

25. TopTop #14
    Shandi

I wouldn't recommend Delta Dental. Go to one of their offices, and just check out the scene. I think it's lousy insurance, and some of the dentists are questionable. Best to buy good dental insurance, use the dental college in SF, go to Mexico or get cleanings at SRJC. Do some research. There's been posts on Delta Dental here previously. Be informed before you choose this route.

26. Gratitude expressed by:

27. TopTop #15
    anja

I went to Baja Dentistry in Tijuana: www.bajadentistry.com . They are fabulous, very professional and skilled. The office has all the specialty dentists together as well as a general dentist. They use the latest cutting edge techniques. The office is close to the border and easy to get to from San Diego. I had done a root canal, a small gum surgery, a post and crown, 2 new crowns and I replaced 3 old crowns and a bridge, all for $2300!! This would have cost me at least $20,000 in the US! As example, a crown is $325. Add to that the cost of the travel (I flew down twice) and you are still way ahead if you need a significant amount of work done. They do implants, too.
    I wrote up the logistics of my trip, how to get there, where to stay, contact information, etc. I'll send it to anyone interested. I want to share the relief I felt from getting affordable dental work done and get completely caught up!

28. Gratitude expressed by 4 members: