Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    hari

Does Anyone Know This Homeless Man?

Hi there. On Veteran's Day I tried to talk to and help a homeless man who was sleeping on a bench outside the Visitor's Center.

He didn't want to talk to me - so I'm hoping someone else might know who he is, and specifically if he is a veteran himself. I purposely took the picture so that his face and body weren't shown - but I'm sure some of you know (of) him. Thank you for any information you have; I just want to try to help him. Hari
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 11-14-2015 at 12:59 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    redheifer

Re: Does Anyone Know This Homeless Man?

He's got shoes, blankets and a bicycle.Maybe he doesn't need/want your help.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    JimmyL

Quote Posted in reply to the post by hari: View Post
    ... On Veteran's Day I tried to talk to and help a homeless man...
    That guy has been around for years.
    I been in the bank in line with him, has money.
    Chief Weaver lets him sleep in the Police Station in bad weather. Found him a place to live and he disappeared.
    He doesnt want help. Leave him be.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 11-15-2015 at 01:48 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #4
    hari

Wow. You're telling someone who was potentially trying to help someone to basically mind their own business. Maybe in this particular case that's exactly what I'll have to do do. But to say that to someone who sees someone suffering and wants to try to help, if possible (and again, maybe it isn't possible) - well, you're basically saying 'stop trying'.

And if we all 'stopped trying' when we saw suffering, the world would be Even more harsh, and Even more unkind, and Even more cruel than it already is. And I don't want that world; I want a better one. Even if that means trying and failing, or trying and pissing someone off, and yes, even if that means trying when it's useless and maybe even wrong. Trying to be kind and help is all that we/I have - and to quash that, imo, is just……well, it's beyond sad.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by JimmyL: View Post
    ...He doesnt want help. Leave him be.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 11-15-2015 at 01:49 PM.

8. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

9. TopTop #5
    JimmyL

Wow. You're telling someone who was potentially trying to help someone to basically mind their own business...
    Your intentions are good.

Are you new around here? I used to bike to work in Santa Rosa. I started seeing "Don" on the Rodata Trail maybe 10 years ago, he was sleeping along the trail somewhere.

He has been around at least that long and is a familiar site in town, and in my experience he doesn't want yours or anyone elses help.

To get some answers on what you can or can't do to help Don, contact Sebastopol Police Chief Jeff Weaver at [email protected].
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 11-15-2015 at 01:58 PM.

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #6
    Shandi

Hari,

I appreciate your willingness to act in compassion for someone who appears in need. In asking the community if this homeless person is known, shows uncommon wisdom. You received the response you needed. Please continue to reach out. We need more people with heart. I've been helping someone who's mentally ill for over 25 years, and occasionally give my time and energy to others in need.

I'm reading a very inspiring book entitled
    "Stone Soup for the World" Life Changing Stories of Kindness and Courageous Acts of Service. This shows what can happen when one person acts to help those who are suffering, and commits to sharing a vision of change that leads to something more powerful than ever imagined.

Our community needs more "compassion in action". Thank you for sharing your feelings with us.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 11-15-2015 at 01:59 PM.

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #7
    nicofrog

Hi I feel your pain in this posting ,the longing to help is strong .Some prefer the "homefree"lifestyle, I am reminded of the missionaries wo approached the pennyless outdoor living Aborigines in Australia,and offered to help them,they said "How do you know we need help?we are different than you, when you are willing to admit that YOU need our help as much as we yours,then yes,perhaps we can talk..."
    I am Homefree for well, since 1999, and even then it was trailers and vans in the back of my parents place, I can always use HELP !! and yet I have a lot to offer too, I work make and spend money own a vehicle or two,and Love my life. My dream is to get us all on the same page, and I will die happy with that dream tucked under my heart...THANKS for wanting and needing to share your spirit with others.Do YOU want any help?

Wow. You're telling someone who was potentially trying to help someone to basically mind their own business...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 11-25-2015 at 12:39 PM.

14. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

15. TopTop #8
    Dorothy Friberg

In the book of life we are NOT "all on the same page".
    Last edited by Barry; 07-08-2016 at 11:30 AM.

16. Gratitude expressed by: