Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    sonomarosa

Animal Behaviorists

Hi everybody..

If possible, I need some contacts for Animal Behavior and Modification' people. I received an email from a lady who's dog has been able to be trained in most things, continues to have 'issues' with men. She needs help in learning what to do to correct this problem.

Do any of you know of some local, or further out, behaviorists? Betina was great in giving me Animal Communicators/Phychics, so maybe this is under the same category?

Don't know, but would surely appreciate any info anyone can give me so I can write this lady back. I don't know where she lives, so if someone also has some generic email addys I can give her, that could possibly work too.

Thank you so much in advance for helping, and thanks for taking the time to read this message.

sonomarosa/Jean
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    gypsey

Re: Animal Behaviorists

Hi, Jean: Animal Behaviorists are trained to work with animals (psychics are not.) The best way to link up with a list is to go to the Sonoma County Animal Shelter Home Page and link from there to the North Bay Humane Dog Trainers Network. Regarding where the lady lives, I suggest you ask her what area she is in. Another suggestion is a book by the "dog whisperer" Cesar Milan. The issue re the dog isn't "men" per se, it is the dog's reaction which is getting rewarded (with attention or whatever) without the lady realizing it. There is a fair to the dog yet systematic way to deal with this that requires a trained person. Good luck! Gypsey.
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by sonomarosa:
    Hi everybody..

If possible, I need some contacts for Animal Behavior and Modification' people. I received an email from a lady who's dog has been able to be trained in most things, continues to have 'issues' with men. She needs help in learning what to do to correct this problem.

Do any of you know of some local, or further out, behaviorists? Betina was great in giving me Animal Communicators/Phychics, so maybe this is under the same category?

Don't know, but would surely appreciate any info anyone can give me so I can write this lady back. I don't know where she lives, so if someone also has some generic email addys I can give her, that could possibly work too.

Thank you so much in advance for helping, and thanks for taking the time to read this message.

sonomarosa/Jean

3. TopTop #3
    Vet-To-Pet

Hi everybody..
    Hi~
    Depending on the dog's age & how severe the "issues" are, there's a possible solution using 'desensitization & reconditioning', which means slowly teaching the dog that what s/he fears is not something to be afraid of, rather, something that could be somewhat pleasant.

It's a training procedure that requires the gradual introduction of whatever the dog is afraid of (in this case, men) in very small "doses", under controlled circumstances, such that the dog learns to view the man as no threat. In gradual degrees, & longer periods of time, the fearful object/person is experienced as an enjoyable situation by providing positive feedback to the dog whenever s/he is NOT fearful when s/he encounters the fearful subject/person. Example: a (volunteer) man enters the room where the dog & his/her owner are sitting together calmly. The man just enters & stands there, not approaching the dog, merely standing there. If the dog reacts fearfully, the man leaves the room; the dog is NOT rewarded or comforted for the way s/he reacted. after a few/several miutes (once the dog is calm again), the man again enters the room. Again, if the dog reacts in the undesired response, the dog is NOT rewarded or comforted, but the man remains standing in one place. Once the dog calms down, THEN s/he is rewarded with much petting and/or treats. The next step is to gradually have the man come closer to the dog. If the dog reacts with any fear, no reward, and the man backs away until the dog is in his/her 'comfort zone" again. The man remains at that distance as the dog again calms down, then gradually (step by step) approaches the dog as long as there is no negative reaction by the dog. As long as the dog is responding appropriately, s/he is rewarded with praise/love. Any negative response is not rewarded, and the process is "backed up" to the 'comfort zone' until the man can get closer again. The desired result is that the man can eventually approach the dog without any of the original fearful reaction.

This can (will probably) take several sessions, over the course of different days. it might be a good idea to ask different men to help out, unless the fearful behavior is towards one particular man, who should then be the person involved with the reconditioning training. The main thing to remember is NOT to comfort (reward) the dog when s/he acts fearful. Don't punish the dog for that behavior, simply be neutral until the dog is calm again. Then, try to proceed to the next step (closer) of the process. This can be tedious, but don't give up or else the dog probably won't resolve this fear of men. There are probably books and/or web sites about desensitization & reconditioning in dogs, which might explain the process more clearly or thoroughly. If you have any questions, please feel free to call me. I'm a licensed veterinarian with a strong interest (& several continuing education seminars) in animal behavior.

Please don't try this if you're unsure of how to proceed, since you might do more harm than good.
    Good luck---this IS possible.
    Smiles,
    Paula
    827-3070

sonomarosa/Jean
    Last edited by Barry; 08-30-2006 at 02:37 PM.

4. TopTop #4
    Braggi

Hi everybody..

If possible, I need some contacts for Animal Behavior and Modification' people.
    sonomarosa/Jean
    When it comes to dog training, Uncle Matty is God.

www.unclematty.com

Read the website, check out his books, follow his advice. He's amazing.

5. TopTop #5
    Moon

I recommend checking the Texas A&M University site and asking whoever looks promising for some referrals. The TAMU College of Veterinary Medicine has Dr. Bonnie Beaver on its faculty, and she's the top housecat psychologist in the country, if not the world, so she might know where to find people who are good with dogs. (Of course, A&M doesn't call such people animal psychologists, since that would be admitting that a non-human animal has a psyche to study.) Just for openers, my own suggestion would be, if possible, to get a man to feed the dog, silently, as often as he can. When the dog has gotten friendly with him on that basis, then the man can start speaking--softly at first--in the dog's presence. Finally, the man can start petting the dog.

6. TopTop #6
    Moon

I originally posted the following response privately the other day; it came back today from someone with a note saying she wasn't the one who asked the question.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Moon:
    I recommend checking the Texas A&M University site and asking whoever looks promising for some referrals. The TAMU College of Veterinary Medicine has Dr. Bonnie Beaver on its faculty, and she's the top housecat psychologist in the country, if not the world, so she might know where to find people who are good with dogs. (Of course, A&M doesn't call such people animal psychologists, since that would be admitting that a non-human animal has a psyche to study.) Just for openers, my own suggestion would be, if possible, to get a man to feed the dog, silently, as often as he can. When the dog has gotten friendly with him on that basis, then the man can start speaking--softly at first--in the dog's presence. Finally, the man can start petting the dog.

7. TopTop #7
    scamperwillow

There are going to be some of these people and a lot more at the Bay area Pet Fair this weekend:

https://www.bayareapetfair.com/schedule.html

8. TopTop #8
    SarahBrauer

Sarah's Dogs:

[email protected]
    www.myspace.com/sarahs_dogs

(707) 547-7306