Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

T-Mobile Coverage?

Any T-Mobile Users out there??

I'm thinking of switching from AT&T to T-Mobile. I've been very disappointed with AT&T's coverage. It's passable around here, but surprisingly lacking in some places where it should be a given.

I know T-mobile's coverage in the past hasn't been great, but the new iPhone 6s (and Galaxy S6) can access their new Extended Range LTE (700 Mhz - Band 12). They promise this will access much better coverage.

iPhone 5s also get better coverage than the iPhone 5 and earlier.

In anycase, their plans are much cheaper than AT&T ($100 for 2 lines with 10 gigs each).

I can test the coverage with my iphone 6 and a new sim, but your feedback would help.

What I am most interested in is coverage with one of the newer phones (iphone 6s, Samsung Galaxy S6, full list here) that can access the new band.

So what kind of phone do you have T-Mobile service on and how's your coverage?

Thanks!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    ChefJayTay

Re: T-Mobile Coverage?

Google Fi.
    You pay your bill to google, google rents access to sprint & T-Mobile networks. Nexus phones switch between either network and closest wifi based on signal strength.

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3
    Pickles

I had T-Mobile before and was not happy with the service, no signals and dropped calls too often, tried AT&T and same thing. My brother kept telling me to go with Verizon in CA (he lives in the mountains outside San Diego) as they provide the most coverage area and are the most reliable. I finally switched to Verizon and had no problems since. Sometimes you have to listen to what older brothers tell you!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    ...So what kind of phone do you have T-Mobile service on and how's your coverage?...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 11-10-2015 at 09:14 AM.

5. Gratitude expressed by:

6. TopTop #4
    sage lee

I have had T-Mobile for several years now and I seem to do well in Sebastopol, Santa Rosa....

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Pickles: View Post
    I had T-Mobile before and was not happy with the service, no signals and dropped calls too often...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 11-10-2015 at 09:15 AM.

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ChefJayTay: View Post
    Google Fi.
    You pay your bill to google, google rents access to sprint & T-Mobile networks. Nexus phones switch between either network and closest wifi based on signal strength.
    Thanks for this interesting tip. I looked into it and it sounds very good, but only available on Android (and only on the Nexus 5X & 6P phones). I'm going to stick with Apple (though I have thought of switching someday). There is some confusion whether Google Fi has access to T-Mobile's new band 12 spectrum yet.

If anybody is considering upgrading an Android device I suggest you check it out. You are welcome to start a new thread to poll your fellow waccos for their experience.

9. TopTop #6
    brian32768

If anybody is considering upgrading an Android device I suggest you check it out. You are welcome to start a new thread to poll your fellow waccos for their experience.
    Making this work means they use a new RF chip that works with both T-Mobile (which is a GSM network) and Sprint (which is a CDMA network) so it's not just a matter of getting a new SIM for an Android phone. Having access to both the GSM and CDMA networks requires a new phone.

I think they also needed extra hardware support to make switching phone calls between cellular and wifi work.

It's a great concept but probably not worth it unless you already need a new phone.

Brian

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #7
    Icssoma

had att early on when they were the best in west county.
    then verizon for 7 years.
    hated dealing w. verizon, especially for my son's account, he had difficulty sorting out internet usage.
    began dreading calling verizon w. a problem & taking an hour to get nowhere. (sun at 8/9 am is best to get through).
    thrilled to have switched to t mobile 3 mos ago. can't tell the difference anywhere--talking about west county, by bills farm basket, on martinelli road in forestville, all the "difficult spots" seem the same.
    all the good coverage still seems good.
    love being w. a "less powerful corporate company".
    have a landline at home. my partner has been using my t mobile phone as she is thinking about changing as well. she clocks lots of hours on a cell phone, additionally from home. so far so good. she hasn't made a decision yet.
    Last edited by Icssoma; 11-12-2015 at 04:54 PM. Reason: edit, repitition

12. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

13. TopTop #8
    markwjam

I much prefer CREDO Mobile...the only progressive mobile phone company...which gives donations to progressive causes (unlike the other phone companies, who donate large amounts to regressive groups)..and, members get to vote on how the money is distributed. I've found generally very helpful customer service as well.

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #9
    Icssoma

would love to have Credo. had them for our home phone for years.
    they were using sprint secondary that means there is no coverage in west county.
    if i have a cell phone it needs to work where i live/drive.
    if that has changed i would love to know.
    my last conversation w. Credo, not quite 2 years ago, was they were looking at going further west in Marin, but currently had no plans for west sonoma county.
    think they would have a booming business if they did.
    my lobbying efforts have been futile.
    if you have information that they work on river road by the hacienda bridge, mother's beach, or in west sebastopol, past 7 eleven, near bills, near where i live, i would switch in a heartbeat.
    would be thrilled to know when things change.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by markwjam: View Post
    I much prefer CREDO Mobile...the only progressive mobile phone company...

16. TopTop #10
    ChefJayTay

I have the service [Project Fi], and works with T-Mobile's 12 band (though the latest update - Marshmallow - was released without it, stating it will be soon added). Using a nexus phone, I've received regular updates, which is refreshing compared to past android devices (which require the carrier to also support the update). I have yet to find dead space, and travel the county regularly. Past locations I found troublesome (like downtown Windsor) are strong signaled.

Should point out that Apple recently filed the paperwork to create their own version of Project Fi.

I also support the concept of making cellular service providers just that. Not some intermediary between me and the producer of my phone.

Thanks for this interesting tip. I looked into it and it sounds very good, but only available on Android (and only on the Nexus 5X & 6P phones). I'm going to stick with Apple (though I have thought of switching someday). There is some confusion whether Google Fi has access to T-Mobile's new band 12 spectrum yet.

Last edited by Barry; 11-29-2015 at 03:04 PM.

17. Gratitude expressed by:

18. TopTop #11
    ChefJayTay

Did I mention they keep sending me gifts?
    When's the last time your cellular provider gave you anything (other than a headache)?

When I joined they sent me a case, backup battery, and headphones...
    Now they've sent me a "lego" phone holder/cord caddy for the holidays.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-03-2015 at 01:25 PM.