Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Michael Anthony

A Positive Take On Dairyman's Winery?

Sebastopol tomorrow will be just like Santa Rosa today.

22 years ago when I acquired ownership of a shoe shop that has been in business in the same spot on Sebastopol's Main Street since 1969, I could look east and clearly see the hill tops beyond Santa Rosa. Today, during most hot days in the summer, the smog covers those same hill tops in what is certain to become worse with that smog eventually working its way west to hover over Sebastopol.

We are in denial if we think that this is not true given the fact that we have two main highways intersecting in downtown Sebastopol. In fact, the noise and air pollution from the incessant automobile and truck traffic is a health hazard to the humans living in the laguna ecosystem. Humans are the part of the ecosystem that we seem to forget about when we talk about preserving the lagoon.

With that said, there have been many ideas put forth about solving the traffic problem and for 22 years I have only seen the traffic problem get worse, with no concrete action toward solving the problem.

Therefore, I see the Dairyman's Winery proposal as an opportunity to solve in part, the traffic problem that has plagued Sebastopol for as long as anyone can remember. My suggestion is to approve the proposed winery only under the condition that the Highway 116, Llano road to Occidental road bypass plan be approved and fast-tracked thereby eliminating any of the traffic issues raised by the Dairyman's Winery project. With today's engineering advancements, that traffic can safely crossover the lagoon without ecological damage just as it will over the new Highway 12 bridge.

The Highway 116 bypass would then create a traffic and automobile pollution barrier between Santa Rosa and Sebastopol and allow Sebastopol to retake ownership of its Main Street to control traffic and parking as it wills. Sebastopol will then become a destination and all of the proposed projects that I have heard throughout the years will become a reality. In example, day-lighting of the creeks, two-way traffic, diagonal parking, bicycle and pedestrian right of ways, an electric train running down Main Street with a spur to the Smart Train, parklets, an outdoor seasonal amphitheater, etc., etc. But most importantly, a quiet, traffic pollution and smog free downtown in which human and other species who live and/or work in the laguna ecosystem will freely enjoy.

This is just one idea and I am at a loss as to what else might work. Any other ideas please?

Your friend and neighbor as ever: Michael.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Shepherd

Re: A Positive Take On Dairyman's Winery?

In response to Michael Anthony's closing question about other ideas, I would refer him to the unanimous Sebastopol City Council decision, 5-0, to oppose the Dairyman Winery and event center's proposal, for many reasons. It is in the fragile Laguna de Santa Rosa, which has endangered species. It is in the greenbelt separator between big city Santa Rosa and small town Sebastopol. It would block the Joe Rodota Trail. For more information, go to the website of Preserve Rural Sonoma County.

Llano Rd., which I currently travel to get from my farm to Santa Rosa, and which he suggests as an alternative, goes through the Laguna. Parts of it flood, especially in years of heavy rain.

Instead of "solving the traffic problem," as he suggests, it would worsen it. I hope that he does not plan to run for City Council again, since he seems so poorly informed about these issues. He may be a good shoe maker, but that is not enough.

We have enough wineries. We need more food farms. 96% of veggies and fruits sold in Sonoma County are imported from outside our once food ag county, which is now an alcohol county.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Michael Anthony: View Post
    ...This is just one idea and I am at a loss as to what else might work. Any other ideas please?...
    Last edited by Barry; 10-25-2015 at 11:25 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Michael Anthony

Shepherd:

How will a Highway 116, Llano Road bypass make the traffic, noise pollution, and eminent smog problem in Sebastopol worse? Yes Llano Road floods, but a well executed bypass will be elevated above that floodplain and with insightful planning, a crossover [or under] the bypass will preserve the Joe Rodota Trail. And, as I previously mentioned, "with today's engineering advancements, that traffic can safely cross over the lagoon without ecological damage just as it will over the new Highway 12 bridge."

My original post invited discussion about other ideas for solving our traffic problem, please show me where in your reply you proposed one.

Your comment that "I hope that he does not plan to run for City Council again" is incorrect and your statement implying that I am only fit to be a shoemaker seems mean-spirited. I have never run for City Council in the past but rather, I simply put my name forward [where everyone else withdrew], to be appointed to the vacant seat left by the late Michael Keyes.

Isn't this a great country where a simple shoemaker or farmer can advance their ideas and be elected to the council of leaders in their community?

Finally, if you are really that concerned about the traffic problem on Highway 12 and Llano Road, and against that traffic crossing the Joe Rodota Trail and through the lagoon, perhaps you should consider parking your automobile and riding the bus to Santa Rosa.

Your friend [or at least I thought I was] as ever: Michael.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    I hope that he does not plan to run for City Council again... He may be a good shoe maker, but that is not enough.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    Shepherd

Dear Michael,
    The idea of a bypass through the fragile Laguna comes up every once in a while. It is always rejected, because it does not function environmentally or politically. My response was not meant to cover everything in your post, but to focus on Dairyman Winery and event center, which should be rejected for many reasons, including the fact that it would generate more traffic into the greenbelt separator. I do not know what the solution to traffic is, other than walking, using bikes and public transit more, and focusing on the local. I seldom ride into Santa Rosa any more and agree with your suggestion that to do so causes problems.

Sometimes I agree with you that "this is a great country." As I watch certain candidates for the presidency, I wonder how "great" we really are and am concerned with our future. There are certainly some great American values, such as democracy, freedom, and liberty. However, they are not always practiced, especially when it comes to the treatment of other countries and people of color. I am concerned that we could be headed into expanded wars.

I did not intend to be mean in my comment, so I apologize for making it. I was concerned that you were opening a campaign, which you seem to have clarified that you are not. I appreciate your putting your ideas forward. I agree that it is important to advance one's ideas, which Waccobb.net is a good place to do. Friendship includes being willing to differ. Risks include that one can be misunderstood and debated with. My intention was to question you mainly on Dairyman, the subject in your title. I think that Dairyman is not "positive," to quote your title.
    In friendship, even amidst arguments, Shepherd

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Michael Anthony: View Post
    ...How will a Highway 116, Llano Road bypass make the traffic, noise pollution, and eminent smog problem in Sebastopol worse?...

8. Gratitude expressed by 4 members: