Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Karl Frederick

The Coddling of the American Mind

I came of age in the sixties, and am sorry to see the continuation of a dumbing down trend. The Atlantic article below cites Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) as helpful in retraining people who mis-perceive the speech and intentions of others.

In the name of emotional well-being, college students are increasingly demanding protection from words and ideas they don’t like. Here’s why that’s disastrous for education—and mental health.

The Coddling of the American Mind

In the name of emotional well-being, college students are increasingly demanding protection from words and ideas they don’t like. Here’s why that’s disastrous for education—and mental health.
    See article here.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-30-2015 at 05:32 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: The Coddling of the American Mind

Thank you for sharing this in depth look at the attempt to protect students from being "triggered" by words and ideas. Isn't life itself full of triggers that we can't avoid? If we look at what these youngsters have grown up with, while watching extreme violence, and playing violent games, you would think they would have formed a protective shield to feeling "offended" by words or ideas. They willingly watch horrors of mass murders, slavery, animal abuse, and corporate greed, but are not offended?

Being bullied goes beyond, and can inflict serious emotional damage, since many who are bullied are the more sensitive ones that aren't part of the crowd. I was bullied for awhile as a young teen, but when I'd had enough I struck back in a sneak attack on the leader. That ended the bullying. Most victims of bullying won't strike back, but continue the attacks within themselves, which lead to further loss of any shred of confidence or self esteem. I definitely support coming down hard on bullying of people and animals.

Someone I met recently asked if she had "offended" me. I replied "I don't get offended easily, and as a matter of fact, I think it's illogical." It's the same with being embarrassed to be with someone who may be wearing old clothes or shoes, or anything we might judge as "not appropriate". I used to know a lawyer in Hawaii, who never used deodorant, and you could smell her even at a distance. I thought it was odd, (inappropriate) but she was a good lawyer, so her clients overlooked her odor. Can a nose be offended?

The reality is that we can't be protected from the "slings and arrows" of life, so we need to learn how to cope with them, as early as possible. There won't always be someone around to protect us. Small children should be protected because they're vulnerable, but they should also be taught about the negative realities that they will encounter, and coping skills that may save their lives.

This is just another "brick in the wall" to separate us from our intelligent inner knowing, and the ability to disengage, rather than attach ourselves to words and ideas we don't agree with. What a way to waste our precious energy!
    Last edited by Barry; 10-02-2015 at 10:36 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email