Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Harbin, and much more gone.

I'm in shock as I read that Harbin has been "destroyed", along with many surrounding communities that was home to many dear ones of our community.

Please use this thread to post anything regarding this tragedy both practical (aside from specific housing needs and offers) and emotional.

Specific housing needs/offers can be posted in our Housing/Offices category and/or a new Facebook group: Harbin Community Check-in. What Help Do You Need - What Help Can You Give.

Last edited by Barry; 09-13-2015 at 05:44 PM.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: Harbin, and much more gone.

I am so sticken that Harbin is gone.
    For those needing help evacuating large animals please look at the listings on the Lake County Horse Council Page and call for help. 12003422_10208053236797013_322105741388405907_n.jpg

3. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

4. TopTop #3
    dominus

Andy's Produce is accepting donations for Valley Fire victims. Clothing, linens, food items, blankets, towels, etc. PD is also very helpful for updates. I phoned Whole Foods, Safeway, Fiesta and Oliver's Market. Fiesta & Oliver's will discuss what they do tomorrow morning at their management meetings. Safeway mgr. told me that this matter was bumped up to the corporate level and reassured me they were taking action. I don't know if Whole Foods will do anything in Sebastopol but I'm hoping that will put out some drums for donations. If you can contribute anything, now would be the time.

5. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

6. TopTop #4
    arthunter

Redwood Credit Union is now accepting monetary donations to aid the relief efforts and assist individuals and families whose lives have been disrupted by the fires in Lake County.

https://tinyurl.com/nfssdy5

7. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

8. TopTop #5
    Scott McKeown

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    I'm in shock as I read that Harbin has been "destroyed", along with many surrounding communities that was home to many dear ones of our community.
    Shock is the right word. News reports I'm reading say that Harbin is either mostly or totally destroyed. It was right in the path of the fire. Harbin was a precious and irreplaceable resource in our region for many of us. I have had many great and memorable experiences there, as I'm sure many of us have had. I also grieve for the many people who lost their homes in the Middletown area. It's an unbelievable and almost surreal tragedy. This is the worst fire in California I can think of in terms of human habitat destruction since the Oakland hills fire in 1991.

9. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

10. TopTop #6
    kpage9

I keep reading about people's immediate, big-hearted gathering-up of STUFF to send for the Valley Fire people...also reading the Red Cross' and other insiders' pleas NOT TO SEND STUFF...seems like it may be really getting in the way at this point. But money is most welcome.

(I've been going to Harbin since 1970--beyond-words sad at the losses. Physically sick today in response. But I also know, as much as I know anything, that the spirit of Harbin has been there for a much longer time than we have...and it may be moving us to re-weave ourselves into a more immediate, vibrant and useful connection to each other.)

kathy
    Last edited by Barry; 09-14-2015 at 12:25 PM.

11. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

12. TopTop #7
    authenticeye

I consider this county a pretty spiritually/interconnected minded community - attuned to how our thoughts affect our reality; and I feel this is a time to really dial it in and live it.
    Because the fire is so close to us - physically, emotionally; our intention and empathy is ever heightened.

This is a visualization suggestion for aiding the fire and the communities in the path.
    With mind's eye focus, sIt and visualize a wall of love surrounding the fire and contain it with love; offer it gratitude for all that it is awakening in people - [on so many levels].
    As Masaru Emoto beautifully revealed through his legacy of research - water is comprised of love and gratitude; sending energy of love and gratitude to the fire is a beautiful direct and compassionate offering of assistance we can give and lends us to feeling empowered.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-14-2015 at 12:26 PM.

13. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

14. TopTop #8
    wildinspired
    Supporting Member

I believe the fire crossed the Sonoma County line this morning and parts of Healdsburg are on notice for possible evacuation. That's close people! Whew! Scary. Here's the link to stay informed: https://sonomacounty.ca.gov/_templates_portal/PressReleaseDetail.aspx?id=2147507400

15. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

16. TopTop #9
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Here are several updates:

1) Valley Fire we will be holding a donation drive on Monday 9/14 at the Barlow Community Market. More info here.

2) The Sonoma Gazette has a good page of "Lake County Valley Fire Relief Benefits & Resources in Sonoma County" including various ways you can help out.

3) From what I read, the most critical need now is money. You can donate to the fund the Redwood Credit Union setup here.

4) Here's a dramatic video of Escaping Anderson Springs during Valley Fire.

5) And gut wrenching pictures of Harbin after the fire are attached. If you are seeing this in your digest the best way to see the pictures is click here to see this post on the website and then double click on the first image and then use the Next button on the bottom left of the window that opens.
    Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Attached Thumbnails (click thumbnail for larger view) Expand   Expand   Expand   Expand  

Expand   Expand   Expand   Expand  

Expand   Expand   Expand  

17. TopTop #10
    arthunter

How wonderful to wake up to light rain today, ... hopefully it will help just a bit ...

Two things ...

I found this video on-line and I want to post it to make a point ... it's a video of someone driving out of the fire zone ... please folks, if the worst should ever happen and your neighborhood is on fire, don't wait to leave ... this man was very lucky ....

https://ktla.com/2015/09/14/drivers-...n-lake-county/

and secondly, a page has been set up on FaceBook for fire related communications ...

https://www.facebook.com/scannernews

18. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

19. TopTop #11
    authenticeye

Found this 5 minute video of a walk through of Harbin on the Press Democrat ...

close to the end the narrator drinks from the waters still flowing into the cold bath... ... "hope springs forth" ...
    Last edited by authenticeye; 09-14-2015 at 09:12 PM. Reason: added comment

20. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

21. TopTop #12
    arthunter

I had a really bad house fire which nearly destroyed my home one day while my husband and I were away ... I didn't enjoy the first tour of that burnt out home or all of the complexities which followed, but what we built in it's place was truly magical ... suddenly all of those years daydreaming about the perfect windows to capture the light through the forest paid off ... the new house was so much better than the old house ...

It will be rough at first but I'm sure that the folks at Harbin will eventually have the same experience ... this is their public statement which seems to capture the spirit that I'm describing ...

https://harbin.org/

22. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

23. TopTop #13
    kpage9

I posted yesterday with much certainty that STUFF is not needed at this point. But after an hour or so on the various FB pages, it looks like there are lots of donations still coming in, lots of organized volunteers to process them, and plenty of grateful evacuees using them. So...I guess there isn't one voice. (big surprise, eh?)
    kathy

24. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

25. TopTop #14
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by arthunter: View Post
    ...this is their public statement which seems to capture the spirit that I'm describing ...
    From the Harbin website:

FIRE UPDATE: 9/14/15, 1:30 PM

Harbin Hot Springs was evacuated on Saturday afternoon, just before the Valley Fire advanced into our main valley. Although an official tally is underway, we have good reason to believe that all guests and residents were off property when the wildfire hit. This is a miracle, and a testament to our staff and guests who reacted swiftly in an unprecedented and dangerous situation.

Current efforts are focused on the well-being of our residents and local staff, as many of us have lost our homes and possessions. Once we leave the area shelters and are allowed to return to the area, financial support will be the most pressing need for individuals. We ask guests and friends to check this website or our Facebook page to receive updates on places that can process donations.

Photos and video have circulated online showing the destruction of the main retreat buildings, and the area is unrecognizable. That said, it appears that the historic pools still exist. Beyond that, we cannot confirm specifics or estimate damages until we are allowed to return ourselves.

Obviously, Harbin is closed indefinitely, and all future reservations have been canceled. For security and safety reasons, please do not attempt to visit Harbin now. Local authorities will be detaining any trespassers, as this is private property, and is still our home.

Our retreat center is one of the oldest hot springs of its kind in California, and it has risen from the ashes of fires in the past. Those who have visited Harbin know that it has always been much more than a collection of wooden structures. As a result, there has been an incredible outpouring of support for our community, and generous offers to help us rebuild. Our church and community have been stewards of this land for more than 40 years, and we plan to continue in our service here for years to come. [emphasis added ]

This is an emotional time for us, and those who love this place. For now, we ask our friends to visualize one of their favorite “Harbin moments” from a past retreat — a massage, workshop, meal, yoga class, hike, temple meditation or hot spring soak — and take a deep breath. Please know that we are confident that Harbin Hot Springs can move forward with your prayers, support, and encouragement.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-15-2015 at 03:32 PM.

26. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

27. TopTop #15
    Investigative Reporter

The waters still flow at Harbin!

The waters still run! The trees will be reborn! As I join many, many friends in Northern California and around the world in feeling deep sadness over the burning of the structures of this magical, spiritual oasis, and the loss of the homes of so many people in the Lake County area, I watched this video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhSH...ature=youtu.be
    of what remains after the fire.

What was made by humans of wood and cloth has been turned to ash. What was made of stone and steel and concrete, including the pools, their tile, the stone walls, the platforms, the fences, and the magnificent sculptures pictured here, remain.As to most of the incredible trees under which so many of us have meditated peacefully. And the waters, those healing, warming waters, still flow.

The waters still flow...
    Last edited by Barry; 09-15-2015 at 03:33 PM.

28. TopTop #16
    kpage9

Re: The waters still flow at Harbin!

Giant YES to all that Jonathan says. I do wonder, with all the water used, what has happened to the aquifer and whether that affects the springs (i assume it does).

kathy
    Last edited by Barry; 09-15-2015 at 03:11 PM.

29. TopTop #17
    Bobbi

The Valley Fire. The people I met yesterday at the evacuation center in Calistoga. A moving experience. Lets not forget that many of the people affected, who lost their homes, pets, perhaps their livelihood....have nothing to do with Harbin. The damage is enormous and goes way beyond losing the special place we have been going to over the years.

At the center they don't need any more "stuff"....dealing with the unwanted bags of donated stuff has become an extra burden. (Although the intention and heartfulness is appreciated). Please before you send things off to one of the centers, be sure they actually want it. You can find out from the Lake County Office of Emergency Services.

What is really needed is cash donations. You can donate to the special fund at the Redwood Credit Union, or to the Red Cross. The Red Cross work is impressive....they are experts in disaster response. And yes, you can designate the Red Cross money directly for this fire.

If you've already gathered a lot of "stuff", considering having a sale and donating the money!
    There are people already organizing fundraising events...let's support those events.

30. TopTop #18
    arthunter

very good list of resources and donation centers from ABC news ....

https://abc7news.com/news/how-to-hel...oulive/982772/

31. TopTop #19
    Jude Iam

*ALSO: https://www.lovelakecounty.org/

Last edited by Barry; 09-16-2015 at 03:06 PM.

32. TopTop #20
    doolin71

FREE DROP-IN DISASTER COUNSELING

Redwood Empire Chapter of California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists (RECAMFT.org)
    is holding FREE drop-in counseling for those impacted by the Valley Fire and resources for continued counseling.

When: Saturday, September 19th, 9-5pm
    Where: Mark West Lodge Event Center, 2520 Mark West Springs Road, Santa Rosa 95404

There will be activities for kids, so they can play a game, or do some art or crafts while their parent/s speak with a counselor. Kids can also see counselors.

Contact at Mark West: Marina Nojima, [email protected]

33. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

34. TopTop #21
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

From the Harbin website:

Relief Fund
    Please support the people of Harbin

You can help the people of Harbin recover from this devastating fire.

If you have ever benefited from a retreat at Harbin over the years, we are asking for your help.

At the time of the fire on Saturday 9/12, a total of 285 residents, practitioners and local staff worked at Harbin – from phone operators and yoga instructors, to cooks, carpenters, housekeepers, gardeners and water system operators. A large percentage of these people were not typically seen by our guests, but their contributions were critical to providing the “Harbin experience” for those who came here for retreats, workshops and day visits.

Now, many of these individuals have simultaneously lost their homes, possessions, community of friends, neighbors, and place of work. If they were the only ones in this situation, our resident community would pull together to support them. But since this tragedy is being experienced by all workers at Harbin, we are asking our past guests and friends for assistance.

Although local relief agencies may supply some clothes, goods and services for recovery, it is financial support that will be most needed by these individuals over the next few months. If you can spare any amount, large or small, please donate to the Residents & Staff fund now.

One hundred percent of the money collected will be distributed to current Harbin residents and employees— split evenly, regardless of job or title — in approximately four weeks, when Harbin can no longer guarantee further paycheck. (Staff who have financial support outside of Harbin can volunteer to refuse the donation, sharing it with all others. Donations received after the initial distribution will continue to be dispensed.) Recipients will be able to use the money to address their most immediate, essential needs.

We are sure there will be opportunities to donate to the recovery and rebuilding of Harbin Hot Springs infrastructure and buildings in the future, but the most pressing needs at this time exist with our people. If possible, consider donating what you might have spent on your next retreat at Harbin, or more.

To donate online using Paypal, click here or on the link below. (You do not need a PayPal account to make a donation. See link at bottom of donation page.)

Checks may be made out to “Heart Consciousness Church Residents and Staff”, and mailed to: WestAmerica Bank, 1110 Washington St., Calistoga, CA 94515.

Donations are tax deductible; check with your accountant. Heart Consciousness Church is a 501(c)3 organization; tax ID is 23-7422390.

Check with your employer to see if they will match/double your donation.

Please express your gratitude to the residents and staff of Harbin Hot Springs, and acknowledge their years of service to our guests and our mission.

Make a generous donation today!

35. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

36. TopTop #22
    Shandi

This is a perfect opportunity for those who are mourning the loss of a sanctuary that provided healing and joyful experiences. Transform your sadness, grief and loss into a generous offering of gratitude that matches what you have received and beyond, and are still blessed with. You have been transformed by Harbin; now it's your turn to help transform their loss and grief into healing and relief. Gratitude expands the heart. It's never too soon to show yours.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    From the Harbin website:

Relief Fund

Make a generous donation today!

Last edited by Barry; 09-18-2015 at 03:24 PM.

37. Gratitude expressed by 4 members: