Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shepherd

"Sonoma's famed vineyards under fire..." Omaha World Herald

My home-town newspaper, the Omaha World Herald, published the following article by LA Times writer Geoffrey Mohan today, so I added my comment. Please consider adding yours. This helps make our struggle with the Wine Empire more of a national story, as this article is being syndicated by the Tribune News service.
    Go Benson Bunnies!
    Shepherd

Sonoma's famed vineyards under fire during California water crisis
    The Los Angeles Times

SANTA ROSA, Calif. — These days, the redwood-shaded creek by Laura and Ray Waldbaum’s house is a bone-dry path of rocks and gravel, its occasional stagnant pools a somber reminder of the salmon that once thrived there.

Fewer than 500 endangered coho now wend their way from a network of such creeks to the Russian River and out to sea, and the Chinook population is barely two-thirds of what it ought to be, according to wildlife officials.

The Waldbaums and many other rural Sonoma County residents blame wine: about 60,000 acres of vineyards, 439 wineries and 221 event centers that have permission to host 2,299 dinners, concerts, weddings and other events for as many as 32,176 people, largely under the guise of agricultural promotion.

Seven years ago, so many vineyards switched on their sprinklers to protect their vines from a spring cold snap that water levels in creeks feeding the Russian River dropped several feet in a matter of hours, suffocating 25,000 fish in two counties.

So when state water regulators this summer announced emergency drought restrictions to protect salmon in some of those same watersheds, residents were shocked to find that agricultural properties faced no water cutbacks.

Simmering resentment at the rapid growth of vineyards and wineries turned to fury against an industry that has a $13.4 billion impact on the Sonoma County economy. And it appears to have spoiled the party for wineries and growers who have embarked on a highly publicized effort to be the nation’s first wine region to be certified as completely “sustainable” by 2019.

That agricultural exemption is coming to an end, even if the war is not. The State Water Resources Control Board recently began sending “informational orders” requiring growers to provide details about where they get their water, how much they use and how they apply it. Growers still won’t have to match residents’ water use cutbacks, although some have voluntarily done so.

The two-week rollout of the regulations, which also cover wells, is being closely watched by the state’s $46 billion agriculture industry, which will face similar groundwater regulation over the next few years.

“It’s good that the state is cracking down, but it’s not enough,” said berry farmer and environmental activist Shepherd Bliss. Tito Sasaki, head of the Sonoma County Farm Bureau’s water committee, said the orders will do little to save salmon this summer. “I think it’s rather late to get such information and to come up with any sort of a new directive,” Sasaki said. “So, I don’t quite understand what they’re trying to do, and I wonder if they are just trying to see how much they can use their power.”

Continues here
    Last edited by Barry; 09-05-2015 at 12:58 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

3. TopTop #2

Re: "Sonoma's famed vineyards under fire..." Omaha World Herald

I so appreciate your ongoing coverage of this issue, Shepherd and I am most happy to see that the realities and seriousness of our conditions here in Sonoma County are reaching beyond our California borders. While the drought is local to us here, the blatant corporate disregard to environmental and human issues is a global one. You speak for all of us, everywhere. Thank you.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    Last edited by Barry; 09-06-2015 at 12:58 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

4. Gratitude expressed by 4 members: