Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    arthunter

How Would You Deal With This?

I share a house in Sebastopol with two housemates ... they appear to be hard working people but for some reason they never ever pay any of our joint expenses on time, in fact they wait until the very last moment to do so ... Since most of the accounts are in my name, these late payments reflect negatively on me ...

There was a time when I fell seriously behind financially but I had an advanced case of late stage Lyme disease and could hardly function ... because Kaiser couldn't help I was paying $100/hour to Dr. Preen in the town of Sonoma for help. Because of this, I'm very tolerant with people and their problems ... stuff happens ...

But these people have three cars, two careers, they take frequent trips and appear to live well ... how would you handle this? ... thanks!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: How Would You Deal With This?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by arthunter: View Post
    I share a house in Sebastopol with two housemates ... they appear to be hard working people but for some reason they never ever pay any of our joint expenses on time,...
    It seems that you haven't spoken to them about this, but keep hoping for the best, in spite of your ongoing experience. When I rented rooms, I included the expenses in the rent, to make sure it was covered. What happens when your tenants give notice, and move out leaving you with the utilities unpaid? I'd be suggesting that they may want to look for another place if they can't get the expenses paid on time. Make sure they know what "on time" means. The other thing you can do is raise the rent to make sure the expenses are covered.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-02-2015 at 02:50 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #3
    arthunter

Thanks Shandi for your very good suggestions ... the expenses vary so much according to season that it's difficult to include them in the rent ... and yes, there have been "talks" which are friendly but not very productive ... obviously, I have to change my approach ....
    Last edited by Barry; 09-02-2015 at 02:50 PM.

6. TopTop #4
    kpage9

This is a hard situation...being taken advantage of ongoingly. I think I'd have a sit-down with them, maybe a mediated one with a neutral other person, and find out what's in the way of timely payment, and what they are willing to do to fix it.

let me know if you want to use me for that. (no this isn't a business, i just am good at it and have lots of experience).

kathy
    Last edited by Barry; 09-02-2015 at 02:51 PM.

7. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

8. TopTop #5
    Thad

...they never ever pay any of our joint expenses on time, ...
    Your problem is what you get when you don't have tribal members to see to your welfare. For 10,000 years native Americans lived here in a life that the situation you have would never be, You had elders with muscles.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-03-2015 at 12:03 PM.

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #6
    occihoff

...they never ever pay any of our joint expenses on time, ...!
    I can only suggest that you sit them down, look them in the eye, lay your complaints on them, and see what they have to say. Maybe your public shaming of them on Wacco will help.

You also have my appreciation for your resolute social activism!
    Last edited by Barry; 09-04-2015 at 04:49 PM.

11. Gratitude expressed by:

12. TopTop #7
    arthunter

Thank you for your kind statements, occihoff ...

this really isn't an attempt at public shaming ... I have not mentioned names and I would not ever do that ... no one in this community. except for my closest friends. would ever know who I live with ... my closest friends are aware of the situation and watching it but I don't always want to burden them with my problems ... I am simply looking for advice because it's a thorny subject and I do realize that my tolerance of the situation might be due to my past experiences and hardships, so outside opinions might be helpful ....
    Last edited by Barry; 09-04-2015 at 04:49 PM.

13. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

14. TopTop #8
    gypsey

I may have missed a few posts in this thread but as I understand it, the original poster is the "landlord" in a house share situation and is frustrated that her co-tenants don't pay their share of certain expenses "on time"--which apparently vary throughout the year.

Some respondents have taken the poster's side, and see WACCO as a forum for public shaming. But since I too have been in situations where part of my rent included a commitment to pay a share of utilities and other expenses that fluctuated on a monthly or seasonal basis, I am sharing my experience and tips.

1. Nobody deserves to be surprised by a bill and expected to pay it immediately. You as the "landlord" have a responsibility to research and spell out to your tenants what their probable share will be in your initial rental discussion and written agreement and then when these bills occur, give them time to pay it.

2. For example, if your P G & E bill is due on the 25th, provide them with a copy when you receive it.
    and ask them to post date a check for that day. If the amount due is egregiously over the amount you predicted to them when you signed them on as tenants, be prepared to negotiate the payment timing of that difference, because that is your responsibility. (Make it clear in the initial agreement that they will be responsible for their share of any late payment fees.)

3. Right now, engage in open dialogue. Learn from them why they are in your estimation "late." (In their minds, they may not be late at all, or they may be disappointed or angry ) LISTEN. Explain your POV and concerns and express your expectations clearly.

4. Memorialize what you agree on, but since you are all human, work for understanding rather than "complete" agreement. .

All best!.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-05-2015 at 12:39 PM.

15. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

16. TopTop #9
    arthunter

thanks for your opinions ...

public shaming would require identities ... that's not the point of this ...

all else that you've mentioned is very good and is exactly how this matter has been handled, including an estimate of the expenses ( which has been accurate ), a discussion of when the bills would be presented and when they need to be paid ... I would never enter into a contract without this information being discussed up front and agreed upon ....
    Last edited by Barry; 09-05-2015 at 12:42 PM.

17. TopTop #10
    gypsey

Thanks for letting me know that you have made many efforts that were included in my "tips." The "public shaming" BTW that I referred to was not from you, but from some of the respondents to this post.
    My only other suggestion (and others may have made this) is that you let them know that this has to change beginning now --ask them to sign a written understanding/agreement and that they will receive a 30 day notice to move if they do not comply.
    Wishing you the best!
    thanks for your opinions ...

public shaming would require identities ... that's not the point of this ...

all else that you've mentioned is very good and is exactly how this matter has been handled, including an estimate of the expenses ( which has been accurate ), a discussion of when the bills would be presented and when they need to be paid ...
    Last edited by Barry; 09-09-2015 at 04:20 PM.

18. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: