Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

What is the confederate flag a symbol of ???

Firefighter Suspended For Flying Confederate Flag During Minnesota Parade
    The Huffington Post, Ron Dicker,
    A volunteer firefighter has been suspended for flying a Confederate flag from the back of a fire truck during a "Third of July" parade in Albert Lea, Minnesota, according to reports.

Brian Nielsen, of the Hartland Fire Department, said he would quit if that is requested.

“I’m sorry that I hurt my city and hurt the fire department,” he said to WCCO radio.

The 43-year-old Nielsen, who acted alone, said he was not racist but made the gesture to criticize political correctness.

"It was my decision and I didn't think it was going to be a big deal, but boy was I wrong," Nielsen told The Associated Press.

According to the Albert Lea Tribune, Nielsen drove the vehicle on the route with his wife, his daughter, his daughter’s friend and his niece.

Nielsen told the Associated Press that he's willing to say he's sorry to parade organizers from the Albert Lea Chamber of Commerce during a public meeting.

The shooting massacre at a historically black South Carolina church last month hasreignited national debate over the Confederate flag's place in modern society. Dylann Roof, who's charged with murder in the nine shooting deaths, was seen in photos with the Confederate flag.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    wisewomn

Re: What is the confederate flag a symbol of ???

Edward, there was an op-ed piece in Sunday's PD that answers your question. It should be required reading by every American. The short answer is that the South was fighting to preserve slavery, NOT states' rights, as is widely believed. Here is a link to the article: www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/07/01/why-do-people-believe-myths-about-the-confederacy-because-our-textbooks-and-monuments-are-wrong/

Last edited by Barry; 07-07-2015 at 03:29 PM.

3. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

4. TopTop #3
    theindependenteye

It's not a symbol of Southern pride. It's not a symbol of racism. It's not a symbol of slavery or hate or the stars in the sky.

Or it is. It's what you read into it. That's what a symbol is. It's whatever you read into it — from your past history, your experience, your current needs. A banana is a phallic symbol if your thoughts are tending that way; a phallus is a banana symbol if you're starving. To argue "It's a symbol of..." calls to mind the old parable of the blind men feeling the different parts of an elephant.

But indeed, a public symbol has a special demand upon it. We expect generally that it represents some basic unity among the citizens it stands before. If people have to take a vote on it, or decide according to a 60/40 poll, it's no longer a representative symbol, it's one big middle finger in front of the State House and a powerful symbol of separation.

Cheers—
    Conrad

5. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

6. TopTop #4
    forveterans49

When these stories come forward on people still flying the racist southern flag it is only for one damn reason because they like the flag and what it stands for. No more talking about it---done and over!!! We are done with the racist hateful flag of the south!!!!!!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Edward Mendoza: View Post

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #5
    Karen the KAT

Rather than ask the WP, why don't you ask the people of the South both Black and White, you might find their answers don't conform to what you think.

You see Southerners (I'm engaged to one) live a different way than the rest of the country and I'm not talking about slavery which BTW is a much smaller deal for Southern Blacks than you think it is.

History is written by the winners and is thus complete BS. Only by careful study can one hope to understand what really happened. An example of this is I am a Sephardic Jew, and I don't hate Hitler, but I do absolutely detest Ashkenazi Zionists, and I don't consider the Ashkenazim to actually be Jewish (Neither does genetic research).

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #6
    wisewomn

On what do you base your statement that "slavery is a much smaller deal for Southern Blacks than you think it is?"

I lived in North Carolina for seven years so I have a good idea of how Southerners live. I agree that they live differently from Californians but I can't speak for "the rest of the country." They are certainly more tribal and tradition-bound than we are in the West. A military mindset is strong there and it's almost a rite of passage for Southern males to have a stint in the military. I never met one man who hadn't served.

As for the blacks, they kept pretty much to themselves. What can you expect from a people who were terrorized for their entire history there?

The whites gave lip service to racial equality, but there was always an undercurrent of racism. Don't forget, Jesse Helms was their elected representative for way too many years.

Being engaged to a Southerner is not the same thing as living in the South. Also, he doesn't live there anymore, which speaks volumes in itself.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Karen the KAT: View Post
    Rather than ask the WP, w...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-08-2015 at 02:31 PM.

11. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

12. TopTop #7
    Valley Oak

13. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: