Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Whole Foods Mislabels Prepackaged Items and Overcharges Buyers

NEW YORK — Whole Foods supermarkets have been routinely overcharging customers by overstating the weight of prepackaged meat, dairy and baked goods, New York City’s consumer chief said Wednesday.

(from SF Chronicle 6/25)
    The price on a package of coconut shrimp at the upscale market was too high by $14.84, said Department of Consumer Affairs Commissioner Julie Menin. A package of chicken tenders was overpriced by $4.85, and a vegetable platter by $6.15, the department said.
    “These overcharges are incredibly troubling,” Menin said, alleging that they continued even after Whole Foods was informed of the city investigation, which began in the fall. The investigation checked the eight Whole Foods markets then open in the city. A ninth has since opened. In all, the chain has 422 stores in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom.
    “We have been meeting with Whole Foods for months,” the commissioner said, “but we repeatedly found problems that were incredibly pervasive.”
    In e-mailed statements, Whole Foods said, “We disagree with the DCA’s overreaching allegations.” It said the department had made “grossly excessive monetary demands” to settle the dispute, but it would not disclose the amount.
    Because the city’s investigation of Whole Foods is still open, penalties have not yet been assessed, Menin said. Fines for falsely labeling a package can be as much as $950 for the first violation and up to $1,700 for subsequent violations. The department said Whole Foods had thousands of potential violations.
    Last year, Whole Foods agreed to pay $800,000 in penalties — and improve pricing accuracy — after an investigation into alleged pricing irregularities in California.
    Whole Foods has long battled a reputation for high prices — some derisively call the store “Whole Paycheck” — and it recently announced plans for smaller stores with lower prices.
    The Consumer Affairs Department said it tested 80 different types of pre-packaged products and found mislabeled weights for each, with overcharges ranging from 80 cents for a package of pecan panko to the $14.84 markup on the shrimp.
    The department said the findings suggest that many individual packages may not be weighed at all. In some cases, all the packages of a product were labeled with exactly the same weight when that would be “practically impossible,” the department said, as with vegetables and seafood. Vegetable platters, all priced at $20, represented overcharges averaging $2.50, the department said.
    “As a large chain grocery store, Whole Foods has the money and resources to ensure greater accuracy and to correct what appears to be a widespread problem,” Menin said.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Valley Oak

Whole Foods is worse than a ripoff

attribution: Wikipedia commons
    If you've ever shopped at Whole Foods you've probably been shocked at the prices. But a recent investigation shows that not only are its products overpriced, it's also dishonest—and its shady practices when it comes to weighing and mislabeling may be illegal.

The investigation looked at products that are weighed and labeled and found a "systematic problem" whereby customers were routinely overcharged for things like nuts, snack foods, poultry and other grocery products. Eight packages of chicken tenders—priced at $9.99 per pound—were inaccurately priced and labeled to the tune of a $4.13 overcharge to the customer per package, a store profit of $33.04 for the set. DCA says one package was overpriced as much as $4.85. "Additionally, 89 percent of the packages tested did not meet the federal standard for the maximum amount that an individual package can deviate from the actual weight, which is set by the U.S. Department of Commerce."

Should we be surprised?

Last year, the company was fined nearly $800,000 in California for not deducting tare weight, selling less than the weight on products sold by the pound and other violations. Not to be outdone by our neighbors to the West, "our inspectors tell me this is the worst case of mislabeling they have seen in their careers, which DCA and New Yorkers will not tolerate," according to DCA Commissioner Julie Menin.

I guess this kind of dishonesty is just par for the course when your CEO is a libertarian who thinks Obamacare is fascism and climate change is A-OK.No announcement yet from the DCA on how big a fine Whole Foods will be slapped with. Let's hope it's significant.

4. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Sandy2y

Re: Whole Foods Mislabels Prepackaged Items and Overcharges Buyers

Through the years Whole Foods Sebastopol has overcharged me at least 6 times. Their excuses are feeble, like, discounted supplements were charged at full price, and the cashier acted like something was wrong with me, and made the excuse that they carried so many items. "Really", I said, "Safeway doesn't have that problem and they carry way more items than you do." I started buying only a few items so that I could catch any errors easily.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post
    NEW YORK — Whole Foods supermarkets have been routinely overcharging customers by overstating the weight of prepackaged meat, dairy and baked goods, New York City’s consumer chief said Wednesday....
    Last edited by Barry; 06-26-2015 at 03:51 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

I just don't shop there; I remember when they bought out the previous store (was it Food for Thought?) and I read a letter in the paper from, I believe, Shepherd Bliss, who said that Whole Foods wouldn't buy his local organic produce which he'd been selling to the other store. And then, when I would occasionally go in there, it seemed like a lot of the other shoppers had an attitude (I called it "cooler than thou") which was unwarranted. Add all that to the ridiculously high prices they charge, and I just quit going in there...
    Last edited by Barry; 06-26-2015 at 03:53 PM.

8. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

9. TopTop #5
    Shandi

I see Whole Foods as a status symbol for the wealthy, just like any other high end store that sells items at many times the price of other stores. I realize that there are probably a lot of people who shop there who aren't wealthy, but unfortunately, they have an addiction to a romanticized perception of healthy, organic foods that have been very successfully marketed with a hidden hook that's difficult to engage from. You know, like "Hook, Line, and Sinker"? Once you're hooked, it's like any other addiction, and you may need another one to replace it. Community Market is an option, but they don't have all the goodies that WF does. Fiesta (Pacific Market) is also pricey, so it might be a possibility, and hey, it's local. You can always sneak back to WF to buy a $13 bottle of juice to cleanse your guilt, or a bag of frozen veggies from China. See the fine print on the back, and ask yourself why this would be in fine print. Aren't most things, that we don't want people don't read?
    Last edited by Barry; 06-26-2015 at 03:54 PM.

10. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

11. TopTop #6
    geomancer

I prefer to shop at Andy's on northside and Fircrest on southside. Both stores have reasonably priced organic and non-organic fruit and vegetables. Fircrest has an excellent meat department, though I'm told not much of it is organic. In my opinion, regular Clover products give most of the benefit of organic dairy (no hormones, grass fed etc) without the high prices - always on special at Andy's.

Richard

12. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

13. TopTop #7
    Richard Nichols

I continue to be surprised at the number of people in our hip town that shop at Whole Paycheck.
    Community Market is a better place, not being owned by a wealthy right winger, but they should trying lowering prices to draw from WF.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-26-2015 at 03:54 PM.

14. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

15. TopTop #8
    Shandi

I don't think people that shop at WF or Community Market are concerned with prices. That seems like an oxymoron. Awhile back I went there with an addicted friend, and was shocked to see Mama Chia drinks priced at $13 a bottle. I just figured it was an expensive drink, but since then I've seen the very same thing at other stores, only this morning, for under $4 a bottle. What's wrong with this picture? For the people who pay the WF prices, it's all part of an unconscious and indulgent lifestyle. When you've got the money, you might as well share it with WF; they need our community's support.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Richard Nichols: View Post
    I continue to be surprised at the number of people in our hip town that shop at Whole Paycheck.
    Community Market is a better place, not being owned by a wealthy right winger, but they should trying lowering prices to draw from WF.

16. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

17. TopTop #9
    Richard Nichols

Perhaps some are and some are not concerned about price. They should be concerned that the 300% or 400% markup on some phoney drink is going into the pocket of a very wealthy and very right wing owner.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    I don't think people that shop at WF or Community Market ...

18. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

19. TopTop #10
    forveterans49

What do you expect from a company that is or was selling bunny meat? Lord, what else was this company doing?

20. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

21. TopTop #11
    jesswolfe

Since I am on a fixed income, I actually have a list I keep of where to buy the things I usually buy and the price. The differences in prices for some of these are significant. WF has two things I buy, very rarely. I can only get them there so I am ok with that. But everything else? Um no. It's just too expensive.

Jessica

22. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

23. TopTop #12
    gypsey

Good for you, Jessica. The bottom line is that consumers need to be self-informed. The info about Whole Foods' politics, lack of local foods, and price gouging has been out there for years.

Regarding earlier posts about how pricey some places are, like Fiesta (Pacific), I don't see this as "addiction" as one poster did. I like some quality cheeses and grass fed meats & am pleased that I can buy them on senior Tuesday at Pacific. for a 10% discount,when I also treat myself to their delicious hot and salad bar and enjoy their friendly atmosphere..

I am also a fan of Fircrest and Andy's and also Safeway for certain things. It's all about planning, keeping to your budget but buying local when available and supporting jobs in our community without sacrificing principles .I encourage everyone to read about each company's sustainable practices---including Trader Joes about seafood (hint)--and make your own informed choices.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by jesswolfe: View Post
    Since I am on a fixed income, I actually have a list I keep of where to buy the things I usually buy and the price. The differences in prices for some of these are significant. WF has two things I buy, very rarely. I can only get them there so I am ok with that. But everything else? Um no. It's just too expensive.

Jessica
    Last edited by Barry; 06-28-2015 at 12:11 PM.

24. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

25. TopTop #13
    beshiva

Re: Whole Foods is worse than a ripoff

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Edward Mendoza: View Post
    oh what to do about WF? It is very simple, but then again, huh?...how do you just stop shopping at places where the corporate owner doesn't give a rats ass whether the customers are satisfied, ripped off, or are charged too much. Really folks, do YOU/ME/ WE have to shop at this place? Occasionally, I too have walked through the doors of WF, and i get a sick feeling like, here i go, bend over. no one holds a gun to our heads but we walk right on through the doors.

In this county there are many other places to shop and give our $$$ to...Andy's Mkt. Community Market has been around for 40 years and there are always wonderful Farmers Markets. We can't seem to muster the guts to boycott WF and when we try to argue with people and explain all the reasons not to go there, they say, "but, but, i can get the coolest this or that there....Hell, we are so damn lazy or not willing to just do without...that's the reason , it's not a mystery and Mr. CEO jackass of WF knows that. so the jokes on us if we aren't willing to change.
    peace
    beshiva
    Last edited by Barry; 06-28-2015 at 12:12 PM.

26. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

27. TopTop #14
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Don't leave Fircrest Market off the list; I love that store. For a smaller market, they have a huge selection of stuff and a real butcher shop. I don't think they do this anymore (paper bags), but for years they printed the names of all the Analy High School graduates on their bags..

28. Gratitude expressed by:

29. TopTop #15
    Shandi

Whether the reason is "MORALS" which may mean dis-engaging over WF sale of rabbit meat, or "MONEY" as in having less of it because of WF, I do hope that our community has the intelligence and discipline to let go. I still maintain that WF can be an addiction, just like daily coffee at Starbucks. It's hard to change habits, without some motivation from self interest/self care, or concern about the many ways we are used and deceived by those entities we support. We are the "pawns" in this game, easily captured, by those who are more powerful, with many more options and angles.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sara S: View Post
    Don't leave Fircrest Market off the list; I love that store. For a smaller market, they have a huge selection of stuff and a real butcher shop. I don't think they do this anymore (paper bags), but for years they printed the names of all the Analy High School graduates on their bags..

30. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

31. TopTop #16
    beshiva

And, to add to my other rant on them, as IF, the CEO's stance on GMO wouldn't be enough to keep us out of us filthy establishment (he has decided to not fight the fight of GMO's). What more do we need to understand that the only mislabeling of WF is the actual "name" WF. That they are the same mentality of other blood sucking corporations (they are people right), i would hope that this supposedly hip community will rethink how nice it would be if they were boycotted and made to go under. peace beshiva

32. Gratitude expressed by:

33. TopTop #17
    Shandi

I appreciate your intelligent "rants", however, I don't think that most of the "hip" community will change their shopping behavior, even with these facts, and many may not even be Wacco members, so they're missing out on some vital information unless they're getting it from mainstream sources.

Many people may be viewed as "hip"; whatever that means is up to speculation and perception. Maybe some community members can give their definitions. I think we need a different word to describe people like yourself, and others who can see clearly how they're being manipulated, and take steps to get out of the picture, and withdraw their support of "slime".

Quote Posted in reply to the post by beshiva: View Post
    And, to add to my other rant on them, ... i would hope that this supposedly hip community will rethink how nice it would be if they were boycotted and made to go under. peace beshiva

34. TopTop #18
    sambacat
    Supporting member

With all the complaining and "outing" of WF's bad practices over the years, I was amazed at the lack of support when Community Market opened. When I heard this new "righteous", purchasers of local produce and products, was opening, I thought us West County/WF criticizers would say "see ya later WF". But, I left the country right before it opened and, upon my return, was shocked that WF was not only open, but was just as crowded as ever!! And...Community Market's aisles were practically empty! What tha..?

Anyway, I shop at CM, Fircrest (which has very good, locally sourced organic produce) and 1/3 cheaper prices on many, many of the same product brands that WF carries (I compared receipts). Only problem is that it does not offer organic meats. So, I get those at Pacific Market. We're pretty lucky to have all these options!

So..., it is an easy fix, really!! Don't complain and rant.....just don't friggin shop at WF!

35. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

36. TopTop #19
    Shandi

Part of the ranting is to educate people who may be very well aware of the high prices, but would never suspect price gouging at the check stand, mis-represented weights, 365 brand frozen food from China, or any of the other suspect practices that have been going on for a long time.

And even though the "outing" has been going on for years, it's hard to believe that people know about them, and still shop there. My conclusion is that the prices aren't a big deal for most loyal affluent customers. The priority for them is that they can get what they want, whether it's organic rabbit meat, or $13 a bottle drinks. CM doesn't have the selection, and when money is no object, we want choices. CM is competing with a powerful "machine", and even though they knew that going in, they probably expected more community support.

What's your best guess about this situation? What do you think is going on here? Why are people tripping over themselves to shop at WF? What could be behind this phenomenon in our conscious community? I've stated what I think it is, which is "addiction". I don't shop there, and never have, after my sticker shock. But I am a student of human behavior, and am curious about what keeps people going back, besides not being affected by the prices. Maybe that's all it is. Most WF customers may be in the category of "money is no object", except for those who only get certain items they can't get elsewhere, or only shop the sale items.

We're not getting much feedback from loyal WF customers, so that makes me wonder if they're hiding out. They have an opportunity to help change our perceptions. We shop at different stores for various reasons, as you mentioned. I shop at 6 different stores to get what I need and want at the best prices available. I even go to Sprouts in Petaluma, and am amazed at their sale prices on all kinds of things. I get Wild Alaskan Salmon on sale for $10 lb. when it's $16-18 at Oliver's, Safeway, or Raleys. Sometimes they have a $5 OFF coupon in their sale flyer that's sent out to homes. Many times they have awesome products that have been discontinued, or when they have to make room for new stuff. I got a bag of Planet Rice for 50 cents. Frozen wheatgrass that sells for $15 at Olivers was marked down to $2. Lately they've been clearing out their protein bars, so I got to try some expensive ones for only 50 cents or $1. I usually go there once every two weeks on Weds, which has the
    advantage of the previous week and present week's sale prices.

Since I live in Rohnert Park, the distance would be the same as if I drove to Andy's, but it's quicker and less stressful on the freeway, than going through the traffic in Sebastopol. It takes about 10 minutes, with hardly ever any traffic. TJ's is close by, so I can get to both in one trip, to save time and money. These are my priorities, but not everyone's. TJ's has a few items I can't get anywhere else, but nothing I use on a regular basis. There are some warnings about TJ's also, but I'm not going into that right now.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sambacat: View Post
    With all the complaining and "outing" of WF's bad practices over the years, I was amazed at the lack of support when Community Market opened....

37. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

38. TopTop #20
    beshiva

.... Why are people tripping over themselves to shop at WF? What could be behind this phenomenon in our conscious community? I've stated what I think it is, which is "addiction". ...
    i believe, you have a point, "addiction". We have so many addictions in this culture, we hardly notice them. And, so many people in the "cool" west county just think "laissez-faire" when it comes to WF...hardly give it a thought and have the $$$ and just don't give a damn. they don't question whether it's ethical, moral etc...hey it's just food right. I think people would think differently when they understood they are being ripped off...even people who think, "money is no problem"...it's "always" a problem when you are getting ripped off.

To travel to other places like even Petaluma, which might have great prices on salmon, doesn't cut it for when you calculate the cost of gas, etc. especially for these West Countians... but for folks in the middle geographically, yes, it makes perfect sense.

I think people ARE creatures of habit for sure. And change is most difficult even when it is quite easy in a place like where we live. There literally ARE at least a half dozen other places to shop which are just fine. bottom line i think we are plain lazy and thoughtless. Shame on us for not realizing that WF is a leech on our pocket books, a drain on our community which, supposedly, fosters supporting local farmers. Imagine, empty isles at WF. peace beshiva

39. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

40. TopTop #21
    theindependenteye

(Elizabeth here) --

I go to Andy's for most of my veggies, amplifying this with the superb greens at the Sunday Market, and I subscribe to Laguna Farm's CSA. My most frequent purchases are at Fircrest, which is laid out in the fiendishly-compact manner of a Manhattan apartment. I continually discover stuff there I assumed they didn't have, and usually it costs less then elsewhere. Andy's proclaims that their Clover products are always on sale, and I always buy Clover, but have never found that Fircrest's prices weren't cheaper. (I keep track of all this crap.)

I was a big, big Andy's booster for a long time, and I still think they're great, but I can't tell you how many times I've found the same things at Fircrest for less. Andy's big plus is that they have a spectacular array of fruits and veggies, and for that quality I don't carp at the price. But on other fronts, from crackers to olive oil to bread, check out the prices at Fircrest.

So what about WF? There are a few things I'll go there for — when Mary's whole chickens hit 1.29/lb, I'm there. My regular granola is cheaper there. Sometimes they have Fage yogurt for a dollar less. So I watch these things like a freakin' eagle, and don't go there otherwise.

Elizabeth

41. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

42. TopTop #22
    beshiva

Quote Posted in reply to the post by theindependenteye: View Post
    So what about WF? There are a few things I'll go there for — ...
    with all due respect...if we could try to not do the "i only go to WF for this" sort of dialog, and we actually pay the little extra some other place or do a little more research and find it where we can get it cheaper, or do without (which i realize is the tough part of all this)...then we can sever our ties altogether from WF.

This would be the Only way to send a clear message to WF, otherwise, if all of us did the , "only once in awhile" visit to WF, they would certainly survive...i don't want them to survive, at all...sounds mean but they really are useless. Keep in mind there was a time we didn't have them, and we did ok. Remember the days many of us were in food co-ops? Now there's a blast from the past. lol peace beshiva
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 06-30-2015 at 01:14 PM.

43. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

44. TopTop #23
    theindependenteye

Quote Posted in reply to the post by beshiva: View Post
    with all due respect...if we could try to not do the "i only go to WF for this" sort of dialog, and we actually pay the little extra some other place...
    Elizabeth again:

I am on a limited income and use most of my "free" time to grow as much of my own goods as possible, and believe me, that takes a lot. I tried Community Market and REALLY wanted to fall in love with it, but I found the limited offerings and, frankly, the higher prices, to be, well, discouraging. I tried, though, I really did. I keep lists of my regular items and comparative prices around the immediate area, and eventually, gave up.

Your memories of food co-ops are right on the mark. Every now and again we are able to visit our buddies in Blue Lake and Arcata, and that means — ta-da — being able to shop at the Arcata Co-op. Holy moley, it really puts WF to shame. Huge, abundant, affordable. So it can be done.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 06-30-2015 at 12:38 PM.

45. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

46. TopTop #24
    ranjitha21

We can't seem to muster the guts to boycott WF and when we try to argue with people and explain all the reasons not to go there, they say, "but, but, i can get the coolest this or that there....Hell, we are so damn lazy or not willing to just do without...that's the reason , it's not a mystery and Mr. CEO jackass of WF knows that. so the jokes on us if we aren't willing to change.

47. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

48. TopTop #25
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Whole Foods responds:

49. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

50. TopTop #26
    Shandi

More training is a positive step, to help with the weighing mistakes. The bottom line is they have to try cover their ass, with the negative publicity, and huge fines they've had to pay over the years. Internet exposure can be a bitch, especially when business integrity is on the line!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Whole Foods responds: ...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 07-01-2015 at 10:04 AM.

51. TopTop #27
    Richard Nichols

Aside from the issue of cheating customers and the big fines for "mistakes", I still fail to understand how our enlightened community can support a company with big markups and a right wing owner.

52. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

53. TopTop #28
    gypsey

Speaking just for myself, I find CM egregiously overpriced. Also, I've gone in there several times now to try to buy lunch from its hot/salad bar and never found anything competitively appealing with for example, Fiesta/Pacific.

While the latter issue may be a matter of taste, regarding the pricing my thoughts are this: t don't really understand the concept that we should spend more than we can afford to support local jobs, when local jobs are already filled at other local and more fairly priced, markets.

To sum up. Community Market I am sure has value and a place in the economy in other communities. But why here when we have a plentitude of local venues who care about us and support our community and local jobs?
    I just don't get it.

54. Gratitude expressed by:

55. TopTop #29
    Shandi

It seems that being "enlightened" means different things in our community, and beyond. I've worked for many wealthy people who shopped at Whole Foods, and none of them were enlightened or conscious in my view.

So, we can believe that we're enlightened and conscious, yet the evidence points to our lack of over all awareness of the big picture, and how our own "footprint" affects so many other living beings. This topic is just about "feet on the ground" in WF, but lack of true consciousness has much further implications, as we witness in our daily lives.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Richard Nichols: View Post
    Aside from the issue of cheating customers and the big fines for "mistakes", I still fail to understand how our enlightened community can support a company with big markups and a right wing owner.

56. Gratitude expressed by:

57. TopTop #30
    Richard Nichols

Yes on all counts. Spiritual people and communities come in all colors and shades of enlightened or not, good bad or indifferent or not, just like everyone else. I'm not even sure what it means but I do think there are many people in our community who do come from compassion and kindness.

It seems that being "enlightened" means different things in our community, ...

58. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: