Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #31
    Shandi

Re: Whole Foods is worse than a ripoff

I had that same experience at CM, and wondered about it myself. I found the hot/salad bar completely unappealing, and the prices of many items much higher than I'm used to paying.

Then later I read that a food bank barrel had no donations after more than a week, so an employee put some items in, so it wouldn't look bad. I don't know if that's gotten better, or if the food bank has given up on CM shoppers.

These are the some of the details that measure our community values.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gypsey: View Post
    Speaking just for myself,....
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #32
    Dixon

Re: Whole Foods Mislabels Prepackaged Items and Overcharges Buyers

I'm skeptical about these guys' rap. Their version of the story differs from the reports recounted earlier in this thread in at least two ways: They characterize the mistakes as being rare, and they say the mistakes are made in both directions (over-charging and under-charging). If I were to guess which side of this argument is lying, guess which ones I'd choose.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Whole Foods responds: ...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 07-01-2015 at 10:05 AM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #33
    Dixon

At the risk of getting a bit tangential, I'll just say here that the more I observe this "enlightened community", the more I suspect that people's self-perception as spiritually enlightened may actually be negatively correlated with anything I'd call enlightenment.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #34
    beshiva

ok...now i'm going to have to ask how did we get from WF discussion, to "enlightened" vs. enlightenment, vs...where the hell are we going to shop? ok i think it's time for me to exit...getting too discursive...it's been fun though...love,
    peace beshiva

8. TopTop #35
    rekarp

Since Whole Foods is incredibly successful and is generally considered the most healthy grocery chain in the country, they must be doing something right. Much of the criticism is valid, but as a whole I think it's unbalanced. They employ a lot of wonderful people, and I don't hear anyone on this thread considering the employment of our fellow members of the community as they talk of boycotting Whole Foods.

I've done a lot of comparison shopping throughout the years, and most packaged items are cheaper than other stores. I can't speak for Fircrest because I haven't shopped there much. Pacific is the highest, followed by Andy's and then Whole Foods. Andy's often has cheaper produce, but not much else.

For people who don't have the time to shop at 3 - 6 different markets in order to get the best prices, Whole Foods offers pretty much everything that a natural foods buyer would want. Their produce is often top quality (other than farmer's markets).

Since this thread originated with mislabeling and mispricing, I wonder if anyone thinks or knows whether the chain does this purposely or by accident. I've been overcharged in every kind of store imaginable, from chains to mom and pop. Could any store claim to be accurate on all of their pricing?

I often wonder why people go to Starbucks, and I think the answer is similar to why people go to Whole Foods. It's that you know what you're going to get, regardless of whether it's in Arizona, North Carolina, or Hawaii. And the store will be professionally run, clean and dependable. Not that I would go to Starbucks!

Ron

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #36
    beshiva

is the issue really about how clean WF store might be, or the products they sell, good or bad...or are we talking about the corporate entities which invade our communities? Of course, they have to hire people, and they hire a lot of young people who don't necessarily think of the ramifications of what these companies are bringing to the table, which is virtually nothing of real value.

For WF there is no connection to community, WF CEO does not support universal healthcare (that's a crying shame). I don't know if all the stores do this, but for the most part WF does not support job sharing so single moms and dads can have flexibility for their children. WF does not support local growers, WF gets many of their products out of the country(because it's so damn cheap, and they can jack prices up for us). WF could care less about labeling, WF will not fight the GMO war, and head CEO has stated so.

I know in Sebastopol people fought CVS and their overreach, and yet, i do not know what CVS has done that WF hasn't done? The bottom line for all these corporations is only $$, profit, no more, no less. there is no allegiance to people. If we did not support them they actually would go away and we would become more community oriented in business and dependent on each other. But, i am not naive, they are not going away. This has been an exercise for us to debate the growing impersonal entity of corporate greed.

peace beshiva
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 07-01-2015 at 10:06 AM.

11. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

12. TopTop #37
    Shandi

Corporate success doesn't automatically indicate integrity. The Corrections Corporation of America is also highly successful. Does that mean they're doing something right? We can look at the issue of GMOs, and see that both Whole Foods and Starbucks do not support labeling. Do we want to support companies that aren't in line with our deep values? Even if they employ "wonderful" young people in our community?

Criticism of something that doesn't mean that the entire system is wrong, but points out flaws that may indicate incongruency. It is the only tool we have to initiate change; the second tool is withdrawal of support. A company that values it's customers will listen, and implement changes, without defending itself or making excuses.

Boycotts and petitions have actually been able to create change. We vote with our dollars and our voices. However, it does take a mutuality of effort (unity) that isn't common, even when our basic rights are at stake, such as with the Mandatory Vaccine Law recently passed.

If we only go to places where we "know what we're going to get", that keeps us in our comfort zone, and WF and Starbucks are capitalizing on this, along with MacDonalds, KFC, or any "successful" fast food chains. Large corporations continue to eat small entities for breakfast because, as we know, everyone has a price..... WF customers are paying plenty for the privilege
    of knowing what they're going to get.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rekarp: View Post
    Since Whole Foods is incredibly successful and is generally considered the most healthy grocery chain in the country, they must be doing something right...

13. Gratitude expressed by:

14. TopTop #38
    markwjam

a degree of superficial spirituality, and clinging to appearances of being spiritual, does seem to my judgemental ,not very enlightened self, to drive some degree of commerce as well as ways of relating, in this community.
    image, baby...
    and, as well, there is a great deal of sincerity and genuineness...but, I always like to examine the blind spots , and clinging to images, of my self, and others..and see how it affects societies

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    At the risk of getting a bit tangential, I'll just say here that the more I observe this "enlightened community", the more I suspect that people's self-perception as spiritually enlightened may actually be negatively correlated with anything I'd call enlightenment.

15. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

16. TopTop #39
    gypsey

WOW: nothing is said in this video about the PREVIOUS $800K fine for price gouging in California.
    How dumb can these guys be? They obviously don't understand the "we f---ed up" playbook. Rule #! Which is: don't "Deify"- deny, explain, interpret or fudge the truth for your audience and customers.

Rule #2 :Forget about trying to control outcomes---tell it like it is and take action to make it right based on principle (ethics.)

Info about WF is out there and once again, I encourage people to do their own research and draw their own conclusions.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    Whole Foods responds:...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 07-02-2015 at 10:25 AM.

17. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

18. TopTop #40
    Dixon

Since this thread originated with mislabeling and mispricing, I wonder if anyone thinks or knows whether the chain does this purposely or by accident. I've been overcharged in every kind of store imaginable, from chains to mom and pop. Could any store claim to be accurate on all of their pricing?
    If these were accidental, random mispricings, they would be uncommon and would be just as likely to be underpricings as overpricings. The report mentioned in the initial post of this thread quotes the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs as saying: "...we repeatedly found problems that were incredibly pervasive" and mentions that "The Consumer Affairs Department said it tested 80 different types of pre-packaged products and found mislabeled weights for each." 80 out of 80 samples from 8 different WF stores mislabeled! Does that seem accidental to you, rekarp--especially in light of WF previously having been fined $800,000 for similar shenanigans?

19. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

20. TopTop #41
    Imagery

Corporations? Integrity? Those are two completely and mutually exclusive words. Corporations don't know the meaning of the word Integrity.
    Corporation: a group of people engaged in the practice of lying and cheating in order to maximize profits for a few wealthy investors.

Last edited by Bella Stolz; 07-02-2015 at 10:28 AM.

21. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

22. TopTop #42
    gypsey

I am sorry you need to paint with such a broad brush. Your definition and attitude makes me very sad for you.. For a fact, there are yruly responsible corporations out there. Why not research and then celebrate them?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Imagery: View Post
    Corporations? Integrity? Those are two completely and mutually exclusive words. Corporations don't know the meaning of the word Integrity.
    Corporation: a group of people engaged in the practice of lying and cheating in order to maximize profits for a few wealthy investors.

23. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

24. TopTop #43
    Sandy2y

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Imagery: View Post

Sounds like our government.

25. Gratitude expressed by:

26. TopTop #44
    Shandi

I subscribe to "Positive News", "Re-Shareworthy", "Upworthy" and "The Good News Times", which gives me some balance, in the ocean of greed and deceit that has caused so much suffering.

Corporations are kind of like children. When they're behavior is representative of our values, we appreciate them, but when they cause problems for the family and others, we need to step up to the plate, and admonish them. Part of our role as consumers is much the same. We need to be aware of the ease in which we can be deceived, and "blow the whistle" in an effort to protect others.

There are many corporations that look "responsible" at first glance, but the dark underbelly is usually well hidden, until the day of exposure. We need to know about these more than the others so that we can withdraw our financial support, because profits do matter to most corporations, many times at our physical, mental, and emotional expense.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gypsey: View Post
    I am sorry you need to paint with such a broad brush. Your definition and attitude makes me very sad for you.. For a fact, there are yruly responsible corporations out there. Why not research and then celebrate them?

27. Gratitude expressed by:

28. TopTop #45
    rekarp

Dixon,

This is almost in the realm of conspiracy theory. Does it seem possible to you that the company would have a policy, implemented down through the chain of command, to purposely misprice and mislabel their merchandise? And that no one, even those making a piddling $10 per hour, would be a whisleblower? I know quite a few people that have worked for Whole Foods, including someone who managed stores in Marin and Sonoma counties for over 10 years, and if they are dishonest to that extent, then I have surely been fooled.

I'm not sure how this type of thing happens, or even if it is as significant as the media is reporting. Maybe it is lack of training, or poor procedures. To answer your question, I can't comment on New York, but here in Northern California I don't personally believe that the employees are being directed to misprice and mislabel items.

Ron

If these were accidental, random mispricings, they would be uncommon and would be just as likely to be underpricings as overpricings. The report mentioned in the initial post of this thread quotes the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs as saying: "...we repeatedly found problems that were incredibly pervasive" and mentions that "The Consumer Affairs Department said it tested 80 different types of pre-packaged products and found mislabeled weights for each." 80 out of 80 samples from 8 different WF stores mislabeled! Does that seem accidental to you, rekarp--especially in light of WF previously having been fined $800,000 for similar shenanigans?

29. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

30. TopTop #46
    Dixon

Dixon,
    Yes?

Quote This is almost in the realm of conspiracy theory.
    Almost? If it's true that they're purposely overpricing to rip people off, that would fit the definition of conspiracy. You do understand that there is such a thing as a conspiracy, don't you? Or are you one of those who thinks that labeling something a "conspiracy theory" refutes it?

Quote Does it seem possible to you that the company would have a policy, implemented down through the chain of command, to purposely misprice and mislabel their merchandise?
    Yes. Keep in mind that nobody's saying it's company-wide (AFAIK), though it could be. The report we've seen in this thread was specific to the New York stores. I find it entirely plausible to imagine that whoever oversees those stores could implement such a scam.

Quote And that no one, even those making a piddling $10 per hour, would be a whisleblower?
    You're assuming there was no whistleblower? How then did the NYC Department of Consumer Affairs get wind of the problem?

Quote I know quite a few people that have worked for Whole Foods, including someone who managed stores in Marin and Sonoma counties for over 10 years, and if they are dishonest to that extent, then I have surely been fooled.
    Has anyone made accusations about the Marin and Sonoma County stores, or just the NYC ones?

Quote I'm not sure how this type of thing happens, or even if it is as significant as the media is reporting. Maybe it is lack of training, or poor procedures.
    Again, mis-pricing that is pervasive (80 out of 80 sampled) and mostly or entirely in the over-priced rather than under-priced direction (which I think is what the agency's report implied) is just NOT explainable in terms of "lack of training, or poor procedures". I'm not at all attached to seeing the stores as being crooked, rekarp, but I don't see any other explanation for the facts as reported, and no strong reason to assume the agency's report is inaccurate. If you had an alternate hypothesis that could explain the facts, your rap would be more convincing. Until then, I'll continue to suggest that there's something rotten in Denmark--or at least in NYC.

31. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

32. TopTop #47
    Shandi

I don't think it's a training policy; that would be foolish. Although, their reply was that "employee training" would be better. So, the implications are that it's "mistakes" being made by the employees. I don't know the details of these errors, other than the weighing issue. UPC codes should prevent mistakes, but they are dependent on someone who puts those into the system.

Only yesterday, I bought something at CVS that was listed as "buy one, get second for 50%" That was the only reason I bought two. I rarely watch the register as items are being rung up. For some reason, before I got in my car, I checked the receipt. It showed full price. So, I went back in, and talked to the cashier. I knew that she hadn't personally over-charged me; she just scanned the UPC codes. She said maybe the sign was mis-placed. I told her that I didn't think so. I usually check those things because they do often get mis-placed by those stocking the shelves. This isn't intentional, but a result of going too fast, or not paying attention. We all make these kinds of mistakes in life. This is a root cause of most accidents, in the home and on the road. She checked, and the sale price had not be entered in the system. This is caused by the same reasons.

Several weeks ago when I was at Raley's, I saw a shelf tag for goat cheese that was $3 less than the normal price I pay, but it wasn't a sale price. I was curious. It was a brand that I've bought before at other stores, so I was familiar with the price. I took it to the checker, and asked if this was really the price. He asked "what would you expect to pay?" I told him. He had someone check on it, and they discovered that the cheese had been stocked in the wrong place, and this was the price for a smaller package. He asked if I still wanted it, and I said no. He told me I could have it at the shelf price, so I got it. Those details are so tiny, I'd need a magnifying glass to check, so I usually just trust the shelf price.

I do believe that sale tags can be placed in a way that the customer thinks somethings on sale when it's the item above or below it. This represents store policy, and may be a sneaky way to fool customers who aren't paying attention. If I see an item that appears to have a sale tag, I check how the tags are placed. Are they below or above other items? I have discovered that many times I could have easily paid more if I hadn't been "paying attention".

These kinds of things are not concerns for those with high income; they're more concerned about quality. I was once given $250 to buy some shoes to match my boss"s outfit. She told me to try to find some at that price. I went to several upscale stores, but the only pair I could find was $175. This was a last minute purchase, so I didn't have the luxury of coming back. I bought the shoes, and hoped they would be acceptable. When she saw them, she said "They're perfect! They look as if they were made for my dress!" I admitted that I had only paid $175, and she was O.K. with that.

Most people who shop at Whole Foods, have the money, and expect to pay higher prices, and may be motivated by the premise that "you get what you pay for". They're not looking for bargains. Those who are hooked by the orientation of "healthier" food and quality products, get scooped up in the "net" of what WF stands for, as Ron pointed out
    "generally considered the most healthy grocery chain in the country".

Dixon,

This is almost in the realm of conspiracy theory. Does it seem possible to you that the company would have a policy, implemented down through the chain of command, to purposely misprice ...

33. Gratitude expressed by:

34. TopTop #48
    rekarp

Yes I do think there are consipiracies, which is what it would have to be if it's a regional or company wide policy to overcharge customers.

Maybe Whole Foods management in NYC is corrupt and did implement a pricing scam.
    An alternative explanation is that the NYC Department of Internal Affairs is also corrupt, and that this is a shakedown.

Hopefully, more of the truth will be revealed.

The reason I brought up the local area stores is that Whole Foods in California have also been fined for similar reasons.

Ron

35. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

36. TopTop #49
    Richard Nichols

This is from Wkipedia

Criticism and controversy[edit]

Whole Foods has frequently been the subject of resistance or boycotts in response to proposed store locations.[99][100][101][102] The corporation has also been criticized for its aggressive policy of promoting its own in house brands (e.g. 365) at the expense of smaller or local independent brands.[103]
    On August 11, 2009, Whole Foods CEO John Mackey published an editorial in The Wall Street Journal criticizing the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act;[104] the editorial was controversial in the natural foods community.[105]
    The company has created other controversies at various times involving business practices, labor issues, product selection, and failure to support farmers and suppliers.[106] In January 2011, they were criticized by the Organic Consumers Association for "surrendering" to global food giant Monsanto by selling GMO foods;[107] in March 2013, Whole Foods promised to label GMO-containing products in North American stores by 2018.[108] The company has drawn criticism for questionable science behind the claims of benefit of its products.[109][110] Including encouraging and selling drugs that are described to work under homeopathic principles despite the fact that homeopathy is pseudoscience.[111]
    In 2013, two workers in Albuquerque, New Mexico were suspended for speaking Spanish. The resulting investigation revealed that Whole Foods has a policy of speaking "English to customers and other Team Members while on the clock".[112][113] The company soon revised its policy.[114]
    The company was later caught overcharging customers in its California stores, and has agreed to pay an $800,000 settlement.[115] Whole Foods continued overcharging customers despite the settlement, with investigators alleging thousands of continued violations well into 2015.[116]
    In May 2014, Whole Foods launched a pilot program to sell rabbit meat in 5 of its 12 market regions.[117] Because domestic rabbits are the third most common pet in the United States [118]as well as an animal rescued and sheltered alongside cats and dogs, this decision triggered a nationwide boycott of Whole Foods by the House Rabbit Society and their supporters.[119] In June 2014 Whole Foods awarded a financial grant to Oz Family Farms,[120] a family owned rabbit meat business.
    In January 2015, a group of activists organized under the network Direct Action Everywhere (DxE) released a video of laying hens from a Northern California farm that supplies eggs to Whole Foods. In the video, which featured footage of crowded, dirty henhouses and injured birds, DxE contended that the hens' welfare was severely compromised, even though numerous boards had labeled the farm as "Certified Humane".[121]

Yes I do think there are consipiracies, which is what it would have to be if it's a regional or company wide policy to overcharge customers.

Maybe Whole Foods management in NYC is corrupt and did implement a pricing scam.
    An alternative explanation is that the NYC Department of Internal Affairs is also corrupt, and that this is a shakedown.

Hopefully, more of the truth will be revealed.

The reason I brought up the local area stores is that Whole Foods in California have also been fined for similar reasons.

Ron

37. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

38. TopTop #50
    Glia

Gentlemen,
    It is entirely within the realm of reasonable possibility that this is a bona-fide scam implemented by one or two people -- BY RIGGING THE COMPUTERS used to code, identify, and label the merchandise. It is a lot like rigging the voting machines. One person with knowledge and access can wreak a lot of havoc and leave almost no trace.

I must concur that a widespread conspiracy and shady activity by a large number (i.e., 3+) of managers and employees is unlikely. There are simply too many opportunities for it to be discovered or outed.

... Again, mis-pricing that is pervasive (80 out of 80 sampled) and mostly or entirely in the over-priced rather than under-priced direction (which I think is what the agency's report implied) is just NOT explainable in terms of "lack of training, or poor procedures". I'm not at all attached to seeing the stores as being crooked, rekarp, but I don't see any other explanation for the facts as reported, and no strong reason to assume the agency's report is inaccurate. If you had an alternate hypothesis that could explain the facts, your rap would be more convincing. Until then, I'll continue to suggest that there's something rotten in Denmark--or at least in NYC.

39. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

40. TopTop #51
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tomcat: View Post
    My wife always goes over every receipt before she leaves every store. She has found problems like overcharging and double charging and a couple of times undercharging at EVERY store we have ever shopped at in every area, but not every time. That's right folks... It's not JUST Whole Foods...People do make mistakes.
    Tom, I think you (and some others in the discussion) are confusing two separate issues. On the one hand, we have honest mistakes, which everyone makes. Of course every store will have some accidental mispricing. That should go without saying. On the other hand, we have purposeful ripoffs through mispricing. These are two very different things; let's not muddy the waters by confusing them. When the mispricing is so pervasive that 80 out of 80 samples are mispriced (and 80 is a pretty good sample size for this sort of research), and when the researchers stress that the problem in these stores is the most pervasive they've ever seen, we're dealing with the latter problem; it's a ripoff, not a mistake. Belaboring the point that everyone makes mistakes is just irrelevant to the discussion.
    Last edited by Dixon; 07-05-2015 at 11:05 PM.

41. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

42. TopTop #52
    Richard Nichols

I again state what to me is obvious. Regardless whether the pricing is a mistake or not, it still amazes me that so many people support an overpriced store whose CEO is against things like affordable healthcare.

43. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

44. TopTop #53
    Glia

Shandi also described several mis-labeling incidents at local grocery stores and made a similar "buyer beware" suggestion. You both have given good advice. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tomcat: View Post
    ... I thought My post was very relevant to the discussion as it gives people the awareness that they should be checking their prices and charges everywhere, not just Whole Foods. As far as I know, Whole Foods stores locally have not been accused of cheating like the ones in New York, but I'll bet you could find a mismarked item there just as you probably could at any other store.

I was just saying to 'Be Aware' and I think that is relevant to the discussion, again, by focusing on 'Local' because I thought that this is where one posts such things. ...

45. Gratitude expressed by:

46. TopTop #54
    rekarp

Richard,

The reason why I originally responded to this post is that a few people on this list were wondering the exact same question, as if their conclusions about Whole Foods are obvious and should be universally accepted. That's obviously not true, as evidenced by the continued popularity and success of the chain.

The issue of Whole Foods is similar to many other issues that progressive people are concerned about, and there are so many reasons and opinions why people don't act together and do something about it. Here's a recent article in The Nation by Naomi Klein, in which she talks about how we can't accomplish much of anything just with individual actions, and that we must work together to affect systemic change:https://www.thenation.com/article/we...this-together/

I've already written a post in which I queston whether Whole Foods is overpriced in relation to other stores in the area. If you are a "natural foods" or organic buyer, you will pay a lot more for your food regardless of whether you buy it at a farmer's market, Community Market, Whole Foods, Pacific, or wherever else you may wish to shop. You can get some organic deals at Costco or Walmart, but that brings up a lot of other questions.

Yes the CEO has some very non-progressive beliefs as you say, but he is not the company. Do you buy gasoline, use electricity, shop at Target, CVS, Rite AID or other corporations? Do you know their values? Do you think any CEO's of oil companies are better than the CEO of Whole Foods?

Whether or not to shop at Whole Foods is small change in comparison to the larger issues of how our society is organized, climate change, etc. Organizing to put Whole Foods out of business won't help at all if it's replaced by some other company with similar values, or by an organic Walmart or Safeway.

Ron

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Richard Nichols: View Post
    I again state what to me is obvious. Regardless whether the pricing is a mistake or not, it still amazes me that so many people support an overpriced store whose CEO is against things like affordable healthcare.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-09-2015 at 05:07 PM.

47. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

48. TopTop #55
    Shandi

I would be surprised if any of us think that we could put Whole Foods out of business. But I do think that many people who shop at WF aren't aware of what may be outright deception. People who support GMO labeling might not want to support those who oppose it.

It's similar to learning about how to decipher ingredients, so we can read labels knowledgeably. There are actually many products I've stopped buying because I learned things about the ingredients that have been shown to cause harmful side effects to health, both mine and my cat's.

Marketing covers a multitude of "sins" for want of a better word. Look how aluminum was promoted, and we bought it. Do you use it for cooking? I don't know anyone that isn't aware of it's harmful effects. Fluoride is a similar substance that's promoted as having positive benefits in protecting against tooth decay. Why is it banned in many countries? Are these people unwittingly setting their children up for rotten teeth?

Becoming aware of various tactics/strategies to separate us from our money and our health is to our advantage. Questioning the status quo is a wise way to live, and sharing what we discover shows caring and concern for our friends, neighbors and even strangers. We share without attachment to the response. We don't manipulate or coerce; that's what we're opposed to.

Today I came across something called
    THE BLACK LIST, which I'd never seen before. It's a list of 12 companies that support GMOs. It reminded me of the "DIRTY DOZEN" that we're encouraged to buy organic. This is a very long list, so I won't post it here, but I want to share the website address for those who may be interested. https://eatlocalgrown.com/article/11357-blacklisted-12-food-companies-to-avoid.html/ They also show a list of good labels to look for, but warn that when companies get bought out, ingredients may change without notice to consumers. This has also happened with pet foods many times because people continue to buy the same brand they always have, until they notice changes in the food or their pet's health.

I'm going to post in the community category, since many people may miss it in this ongoing thread, since they've read enough, and don't want waste anymore of their time.

...The issue of Whole Foods is similar to many other issues that progressive people are concerned about, ...
    Last edited by Barry; 07-09-2015 at 11:04 AM.

49. Gratitude expressed by:

50. TopTop #56
    scamperwillow

Whole Foods requires GMO labeling on all products they carry.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    I would be surprised if any of us think that we could put Whole Foods out of business. But I do think that many people who shop at WF aren't aware of what may be outright deception. People who support GMO labeling might not want to support those who oppose it.

51. TopTop #57
    lindasw

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    ..."required"? And should we trust this when Monsanto executives sit on their Board of Directors? Just sayin'....

52. Gratitude expressed by:

53. TopTop #58

What do you understand the phrase 'requires GMO labeling' to mean? It could mean many things from hardly saying anything like 'some GMO' to being comprehensive about identifying exactly which ingredients are GMO. I've only taken notice of some packages saying 'no GMO'.

Whole Foods stocks huge amounts of products from deceptively named subsidiaries of GMO giants Coca-Cola, Con-Agra, Dean, Hain, Kellogs, Kraft, Nestle, Pepsi-Co, and others like in the list Shandi posted that I posted similarly years ago. They're listing their GMO's?

Re pricing, I unfortunately also find that Andy's charges way more for a lot of products Whole Foods carries, only sometimes vice-versa.

BTW, if any organic foodies don't know and are ever in Fairfax, the flagship of the future of organic grocery stores to me is Good Earth. It's a gigantic, very strict organic/noGMO grocery and also has a huge selection of hot food and made to order hot food/seating. V..e..r..y pricey, but health foodie heaven and lots of products not available around here.
    Last edited by Barry; 07-10-2015 at 11:30 AM.

54. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

55. TopTop #59
    Shandi

If you do some research, you will find evidence that Whole Foods opposed GMO labeling, but eventually they realized that this was not wise economically. They gave a paltry $25,000 to the effort, only when they were exposed by alternative media.

Prior to that, there is some evidence that employees were advised to lie about GMO products, but I don't have that specific information at hand. I saw a YouTube video of some employees being interviewed.

"Sometime between November 2012 and March 2013, Whole Foods executives made a decision to finally get behind GMO labeling. They announced that all the foods they carry would need to be labeled with GMO content by 2018. As StreetInsider.comreports:

Whole Foods Market announced... that, by 2018, all products in its U.S. and Canadian stores must be labeled to indicate whether they contain genetically modified organisms (GMOs). It is the first national grocery chain to set a deadline for full GMO transparency.

On the surface, this was immediately heralded as a highly ethical leadership decision by the market leader in health food retailing, but behind the scenes an entirely different equation was being calculated. Whole Foods CEO John Mackey never makes a decision unless it's in his financial interest to do so, and as his history of false-identity Wild Oats blogging shows, he's not beyond engaging in wild deceptions in order to make more money for himself and his investors.

Promoting GMO labeling isn't simple a choice of ethics for Whole Foods, it's a matter of economic survival."

Natural News source

More info here.

Last edited by Barry; 07-10-2015 at 11:28 AM.

56. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

57. TopTop #60
    fafner

58. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: