Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shandi

Is your pet dead, or sick because of this? FDA allows diseased animals & drugs in pet food

Susan Thixton (www.TruthAboutPetFood.com) has made her life's work about informing pet guardians about pet food ingredients, and fighting for our right to know what's in their food. Most of us know about the thousands of animal deaths in 2007, from Chinese sourced jerky. But sickness and death continue, as toxic ingredients are allowed in most pet foods. For the sake of your pet, please SIGN and SHARE these petitions: TIME IS SHORT!
    Whitehouse.gov petition closes July 5, 2015.

Link: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//pe...ty-ingredients

Change.org petition closes July 31, 2015.

Link: https://www.change.org/p/fda-and-aaf...t_created=true

People are starting to read labels, but if you don't know what the ingredients mean, it doesn't help much. Grain free foods are becoming desirable for us and our pets. Many of us are avoiding products with GMO corn and gluten, but many pet foods contain this. GMOs are the culprit in the increasing numbers of gut reactions that are resulting in so many people with Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis. These people are put on gluten free diets. It's not just a fad! Our pets are also suffering with increased gastro intestinal diseases, but most vets will not look at or admit that it just might be the pet food we're giving. Remember, pet food companies (Royal Canin and Hills) provide the 2 week nutrition training in vet school. Take a guess a what brands are recommended (pushed) with "benefits" to the vets? Reminds me of the doctor's relationship with BigPharma.

If you're feeding expensive "prescription" foods, you may want to take a close look at the ingredients, and consider what might need a prescription, when these ingredients are found in most low quality pet food. I've checked many of them from Royal Canin, Hill's Science Diet, and this is what I find on many "specialty" diet
    labels: This is from the "special" RagDoll Cat label: Approved by AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) Do you know the difference between FOOD and FEED? It's huge! Feed is unsuitable for human consumption, and given to farm animals to fatten for slaughter. This is not a desirable menu for your pets. Some can live long lives in spite of this, as some humans can live long lives even if they smoke 3 packs a day or consume large amounts of alcohol daily, but it's not the norm. Are you willing to take a chance with your pet?

The words on labels are so tiny, you can't read them, even if you knew what to look for. I recommend that you search your pet food online, check the ingredients in a large font that you can read. Print it out, and check the
    "Ingredient Analysis" on https://PetFoodRatings.org/nutrition/ingredient-analysis-of-dr-lisa-newman. Look up the ingredients on the alphabetized list, and be prepared for a real eye opener. I have printed out this list, and keep it as a handy reference.

I've been trying several high quality foods over the past few months, after my kitty developed serious constipation issues and was in and out of the vet's. Nothing worked that well, and I had to give her stool softeners, until two weeks ago, when I tried a local raw pet food from Feed This,Inc. in Forestville. She cleans her plate, which she never did before, and her constipation issues were gone from the first day! It's been 2 weeks now, and her coat is soft and silky. I get this food in 1lb. containers at less than $6 each, (which is much less expensive than the canned food I was buying) at Sebastopol Pet Center. There's another raw food available that is the same quality called Rad Cat, which I'm going to try for variety. It's made with organic meats and eggshells (no bones).

Ingredients of Royal Canin RagDoll formula: (example of ingredients in many prescription pet foods)

Chicken by-product meal, brown rice, corn, corn gluten meal, chicken fat, wheat, wheat gluten, natural flavors, pea fiber, brewers rice, chicory, fish oil, vegetable oil, calcium sulfate, sodium silico aluminate, potassium chloride, DL-methionine, psyllium seed husk, fructooligosaccharides, taurine, L-lysine, salt, calcium carbonate, hydrolyzed yeast, choline chloride, vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), inositol, niacin supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), D-calcium pantothenate, biotin, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), riboflavin supplement, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A acetate, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], glucosamine hydrochloride, marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), trace minerals (zinc proteinate, zinc oxide, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, copper proteinate), L-carnitine, chondroitin sulfate, rosemary extract, preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid.

100% Complete and Balanced??????

RAGDOLL ADULT Feline Breed Nutrition is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials) Cat Food Nutrient Profiles for maintenance.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    AllorrahBe

Re: Is your pet dead, or sick because of this? FDA allows diseased animals & drugs in pet

Shandi, we are so fortunate to have you in our community! Thank you so much for your passionate dedication to our pets, as well as your well-thought-out posts here on the BB. My baby-cat Elsa thanks you, too... she will soon be experiencing this new food you've recommended. I get all her food free from the Humane Society because Elsa has a birth defect which made her "unadoptable" so she is a Fospice Cat. They pay for all her vet bills, food and litter. However the food is Hills and the litter is Johnny Cat (the most unGodly smelling stuff!) So it's time for me to forego the freebies and get her onto a diet that will keep her alive as long as I am! Thanks again!
    Rev. BE

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    Susan Thixton (www.TruthAboutPetFood.com) has made her life's work...
    Last edited by Barry; 06-25-2015 at 11:30 AM.

4. TopTop #3
    Shandi

Re: Is your pet dead, or sick because of this? FDA allows diseased animals & drugs in pet

Hi AllorrahBe,

Thanks for your acknowledgement I'm so glad that my research has been helpful for many pet guardians. This is kind of a long post, but includes some key points that are worth repeating for those new members or those who haven't kept up with my posts over the past few months.

I'm happy to have discovered this new direction, after dealing with 3 months of stress induced research to find a cure for my cat's issues. Although, I'd been a subscriber to TruthAboutPetFood for a few years, and buying what I considered "high quality" food, I still hadn't gone far enough in the rabbit hole to get all the dirty details of this industry.

As I've said before, it's been a "difficult truth" to swallow. That, along with the revelation of the collusion of most vets and pet food manufacturers, like Hills and Royal Canin, who supply their 2 weeks of nutrition education. If anyone really looked at the ingredients in Hills and Royal Canin, they might be shocked to find that they are the same as in the cheapest and most unhealthy pet food. It's unfortunate that shelters and rescue organizations resort to feeding this crap, but they, like you, get it free. It's all about marketing. When the animal is adopted, most likely the new guardians will continue feeding the same thing, which means the pet food companies make money.

I've educated myself about ingredients with the "ingredient analysis" by Dr. Lisa Newman, N.D. Ph.D on
    www.PetFoodRatings.org. I've printed out all 46 pages, and keep it as a reference for people who contact me with questions about health issues with their pets. Not all health issues are food related, but I'm guessing that most are, as with humans.

I tried making my own raw food for Mitzy, using ground meats and mixing in TC's Raw Pre-mix. She ate it for awhile, and then didn't want it anymore. I also tried various remedies from Vitality Science and other places that seemed to offer solutions. In the midst of her health issues, she had extreme reactions to certain drugs given by the vet. I had never experienced this with any of the many cats I've had in my lifetime. I've since learned about the importance of knowing potential side effects that vets rarely mention. Don't we deserve to know these? I urge everyone to ask what medication is going to be given, and this is where a smart phone can come in handy to look up potential side effects or drug recalls. Many vets are too busy to keep up with drug and pet food recalls.

I also subscribe to a site for veterinarians, which is another shocking eye opener. So, I'm trying to fill in the gaps from all angles, with a strategy of self study. I'm fortunate to be retired, and have time for this. I never could have done it in my working life. I see this as a labor of love, and a way to indirectly save pet lives.

Mostly, I've focused on cats, since that's how my journey started, and cats are more sensitive to many factors, which include food and environmental stress (of which there are many). I keep up with all recalls by subscribing to a recall website that notifies me as soon as it's made public. Once a recall is issued, it may already be too late for our pet, but it can serve as a warning.

Before I started feeding raw, I kept calendar notations on Mitzy's food, elimination, and anything out of the ordinary. Since I started her on raw food 3 weeks ago, she no longer needs stool softeners for constipation. That changed from the first day. All transitions to new food should be done gradually mixing in a little raw with the other food, or there may be digestive upset in the form of vomiting or diarrhea.

Now that it's summer, fleas can be a problem, even for an indoor cat. We can even bring them in from our walks. I've always used a spot on flea treatment, like Advantage, but with all the incidents of neurological reactions from the toxic ingredients, I've decided not to risk it. There are many alternatives, such as spraying a mixture of water and a little apple cider vinegar on them, or putting a few drops in their food or water.

As for litter, I've found that almost all litter is "scented", although it seems that Johnny Cat isn't. I'm still trying various unscented litters, and most varieties except clay have been problematic for one reason or another, besides being outrageously expensive. Our local pet store does have bulk clay litter at about 50 cents a pound, but I haven't tried that yet.

I hope your little kitty, Elsa, can experience enhanced health, with a switch to the diet she was born to eat. The most important aspect of feeding raw is to wash well after handling it. Although most raw pet food has less salmonella bacteria than ground meats for human consumption. This just applies to "raw", not kibble or canned pet food, as we know from all the recalls.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-25-2015 at 11:31 AM.

5. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: