Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shandi

LOVE Birds? Hate (or dislike) CATS? A humane solution to keep cats out of your yard

A war exists between bird lovers and cat lovers. It seems that many people take positions on one side or the other. Some bird lovers claim that cats are decimating the bird population, but they don't seem to take other factors into consideration, like one that includes humans destroying bird habitats or using birds for target practice.

Some people want to hang "bibs" around outdoor cats necks, as a deterrent to catching birds. But they're not thinking about the effect on cats, which would not only would be stressful, but could also be dangerous for the cats who's bibs get caught up on something they can get loose from.

I came across an article recently, about a woman who was angry about cats climbing on her aviary and scaring the birds. Some even died from shock. She thought about getting a dog to chase the cats, but she knew nothing about dogs, and that would be a big commitment. A neighbor suggested getting guineafowl. She did, and the problem was solved over night. These guineafowl chased the cats, and soon the cats didn't come back!
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Barrie
    Supporting member

Re: LOVE Birds? Hate (or dislike) CATS? A humane solution to keep cats out of your yard

Also, guinea fowl are very good for getting rid of ticks. If you are feeding birds and want to keep them safe, hang the bird feeder some where there are no bushes or other things where cats can hide in ambush. If you do this one simple thing you will keep your bird guests safe. Barrie
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    A war exists between bird lovers and cat lovers. It seems that many people take positions on one side or the other. Some bird lovers claim that cats are decimating the bird population, but they don't seem to take other factors into consideration, like one that includes humans destroying bird habitats or using birds for target practice.

Some people want to hang "bibs" around outdoor cats necks, as a deterrent to catching birds. But they're not thinking about the effect on cats, which would not only would be stressful, but could also be dangerous for the cats who's bibs get caught up on something they can get loose from.

I came across an article recently, about a woman who was angry about cats climbing on her aviary and scaring the birds. Some even died from shock. She thought about getting a dog to chase the cats, but she knew nothing about dogs, and that would be a big commitment. A neighbor suggested getting guineafowl. She did, and the problem was solved over night. These guineafowl chased the cats, and soon the cats didn't come back!

3. TopTop #3
    Shandi

Re: LOVE Birds? Hate (or dislike) CATS? A humane solution to keep cats out of your yard

Thanks Barrie! I have bird feeders, and a bird bath that hang on my porch. My cat enjoys watching them, but can't get at them. I can enjoy them too. Good to know about guineafowl and ticks.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barrie: View Post
    Also, guinea fowl are very good for getting rid of ticks. If you are feeding birds and want to keep them safe, hang the bird feeder some where there are no bushes or other things where cats can hide in ambush. If you do this one simple thing you will keep your bird guests safe. Barrie