Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shandi

Local producer of RAW Pet Food

Over the past few months, I've been trying various high quality canned foods for Mitzy. I really wanted to give her raw food. I tried ground chicken, turkey, and beef mixed with TC Raw Pre-mix (supplements). She ate it at first, then didn't. Back to the drawing board! She did like cooked salmon, and other fish, but that was out of my budget.

Then I saw a post about "Feed This", a company in Forestville, that produced raw pet foods. They deliver, which had some appeal. But when I checked into the prices, it didn't seem economically feasible for me.

It costs $35 to set up an account, and $35 if you want a personal 30 minutes consultation. They list some retail outlets that sell their product. The closest one to me is Sebastopol Pet Center, and although I rarely go out that way, I decided to give it a try.

The clerk was very helpful, and told me that it sells very quickly, and they only had 2 cartons left. She also said that she feeds her cat Primal. The only flavor left was "Turkey & Sardines". At under $6 a lb. I figured the cost was even less than the canned food I'd been buying, and if she didn't like it, I could always give it to the ferals.

For the first couple of days, I mixed it in with her other wet food. I was actually surprised that she ate it. The third day I gave it to her straight, and she cleaned the dish! This is a first, because usually she'll eat a little of whatever I'm serving, and leave the rest.

A lb.container is too much for one week, since she's a small cat with a small appetite. So, after it defrosted, I packed it in snack bags, with about a 1/4 cup in each corner of thebag, then folded in half for easier handling after defrosting. I don't think that re-freezing is going to have much of an effect, as it does with our food.

Anyway, I just wanted to report my experience, and encourage anyone looking to feed raw to try "Feed This". They have several varieties, so next time I'll call before going to see what they have on hand.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: Local producer of RAW Pet Food

I'm happy to report that MItzy loves this stuff. She's cleaning her plate, which she never has before! I got the turkey and sardine mix the first time. Today, I went back and they had just got in new inventory, so I got two 1lb containers, and tried the duck and sardine also. I let them defrost a little in the refrigerator, then broke up serving size pieces into snack baggies. labeled them, and put into the freezer. I take out one baggie which has two servings, and defrost in the frig. Just before serving I pour a little hot water that I've heated in my hot pot, to make it a pleasing temperature for her. No microwaving necessary with a hot pot!

She turned up her nose at the duck mixture, but I'll try mixing it in with the turkey next, which is what I should have done in the first place, but I wanted to see if she'd go for it.

The best side effect of the raw food is that she's no longer constipated. She's pooping every day, and her fur is getting soft and silky. I'm so glad I discovered them, and that they're local. What a great find!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sealwatcher: View Post
    I've a friend who's used Feed This for years and is completely satisfied. However, she's a multi-cat family. When I considered purchasing Feed This for my singleton cat, I was told by staff that this is a NO NO. So I had to turn it down. You might want to check on this, Sandy. I'll be in there today and check again also.

3. Gratitude expressed by:

4. TopTop #3

I'm wondering if this raw pet food is organic (certified?) or certified non-gmo? I live with a dear cat who I've been trying to find such food. Also I'd appreciate knowing the cost and where I could purchase it...as you can tell I have not been following this discussion, so I apologize in advance if the info I am asking about was already offered. Thanks for this thoughtful discussion and thanks in advance also for your answers to my queries.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    I'm happy to report that MItzy loves this stuff. ...
    Last edited by Barry; 06-15-2015 at 03:57 PM.

5. TopTop #4
    Shandi

I don't think the meat is organic, but I'm not sure. Best to contact them. I found this on their website
    (
    www.FeedThis.com)

Quote "Organic vegetables and herbs are rotated to insure a natural variety. Many different protein sources (chicken, turkey, lamb, beef, pork, rabbit and duck to name a few) are available. Herbs are pulsed on a monthly basis."

The one pound containers I bought at Sebastopol Pet Center were under $6, but I don't remember exactly how much. I've found that this is much cheaper than buying high quality "grain free" canned food (that still may be made of dead cats and dogs!) at over $1 for a small can.

I'm curious as to what you're feeding your cat now. I've tried so many different canned foods, including making my own from raw ground meats and adding TC Raw Pre-Mix. She's never eaten anything with such gusto as these raw mixes from Feed This. I have friends that feed Primal, which I haven't tried. I like the idea of food made locally. They also deliver, which might be helpful if someone has many cats to feed.

They offer a 1/2hr. consultation for $35, which I was going to get, but don't need to now that I've gone ahead to try it, and it's working.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gaiasophia: View Post
    I'm wondering if this raw pet food is organic (certified?) or certified non-gmo? I live with a dear cat who I've been trying to find such food. Also I'd appreciate knowing the cost and where I could purchase it...as you can tell I have not been following this discussion, so I apologize in advance if the info I am asking about was already offered. Thanks for this thoughtful discussion and thanks in advance also for your answers to my queries.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-16-2015 at 02:07 PM.

6. TopTop #5

Thanks for your reply Shandi.
    In response to your comment, " I'm curious as to what you're feeding your cat now",

I've been feeding her Paul Newman's Chicken Liver Dinner (this is the only 'flavor' that contains organic liver. Newman's other 'flavors' contain liver but it is not organic) and also another canned organic cat food I can only get at Western Farms in Santa Rosa--it is called something that starts with the letter E,(sorry--I don't have a can now to get the name from, it is something like Etheringer) and is located at the far end of the canned cat food aisle. That one says their can is BPA free, and contains no ingredients from China. That same brand makes many non-organic choices too, so be sure to read label. I really like Western Farms--they are a small local business and very customer friendly. They have quite a selection of organic food. I get the Newman's at Community Market or Olivers'.
    I usually grate a small bit of organic garlic and add some nutritional yeast and warm spring water into her food, as a nutritional boost, and to help deter fleas, and add other things sometimes as well.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post

I don't think the meat is organic, but I'm not sure. Best to contact them. I found this on their website
    (
    www.FeedThis.com) ...

Last edited by Barry; 06-16-2015 at 02:09 PM.

7. TopTop #6
    Shandi

In looking at the label on Newman's Chicken Liver Dinner, it shows organic meat ingredients, which is a good choice. I had reviewed other Newman labels, and wasn't impressed. The other brand may be a "premium" food also. So, it seems you've been on the right track. Thanks for sharing! You may find that transitioning to Feed This may be more economical. I'd transition slowly by adding a little raw to the canned.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gaiasophia: View Post
    Thanks for your reply Shandi.
    In response to your comment...
    Last edited by Barry; 06-16-2015 at 02:13 PM.