Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #61
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Re: What’s New and Exciting About Sonoma West Hospital

My letter to the Press Democrat (June 6) and Sonoma West Times and News:

I've been reading about the folks who don't want to pay a parcel tax to support Palm Drive Hospital (now Sonoma West Medical Center), and I'd like to comment. From 1975, I lived way out west of Cazadero, and Palm Drive was my hospital for everything: ruptured appendix, broken wrist-- a long list.

When I heard that Palm Drive was financial straits, I had a bake sale in downtown Cazadero. I baked for three days, sold everything, and made $85 for the hospital (always a bit naive about money).

When the parcel tax was on the ballot, I came in to Sebastopol for a couple of days to work on phoning voters. I couldn't even vote for it because I wasn't in their district, but I would have. My feeling is this: Even if I were poor again, the thought that my contribution might save one person's life (any person's) would make me happy to do it.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dorothy Friberg: View Post
    Well, perhaps you aren't paying $300/year in property taxes to support this fantasy.
    Last edited by Sara S; 06-16-2015 at 10:30 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

3. TopTop #62
    farmerdan

Quote Posted in reply to the post by geomancer: View Post
    Last I looked, the hospital tax was $155.00 per parcel.

Richard
    Seems people are worried about how their tax dollars are being spent.

To date, the district has spent about $100,000 toward reopening.
    (They spent millions to close it.)
    To date, SWMC has spent about $3.5 million, all from donations.
    SWMC will spend about $8 million (all donated) and the district will spend about $1 million by the end of the first year (though this is still subject to the bankruptcy settlement.)
    As tax payers, it seems like we are getting a pretty good deal for the small amount (25% of the tax money the district receives) from our taxes by getting 8 times as much from people who want to support the hospital.

It is hard to imagine how our tax dollars could be better spent.

Dan

4. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

5. TopTop #63

Hey Dan,

I remember reading in a PD article early in the year that the hospital was scheduled to receive $2 million from parcel tax revenues in the first year plus another $2 million transfer from the bond reserve fund. That to me looks like $4 million from the tax payers in the first year not $1 million as you have indicated. The article also noted that in subsequent years the district will contribute $1.5 million per year from tax revenues not $1 million. How do you account for the discrepancies in these figures?

I'm also curious about the additional $8 million in donations that you mentioned will be spent in the first year. Has that figure been met in pledged donations? If not how much of that needed $8 million has actually been received?

Thanks

Quote Posted in reply to the post by farmerdan: View Post
    Seems people are worried about how their tax dollars are being spent.

To date, the district has spent about $100,000 toward reopening.
    (They spent millions to close it.)
    To date, SWMC has spent about $3.5 million, all from donations.
    SWMC will spend about $8 million (all donated) and the district will spend about $1 million by the end of the first year (though this is still subject to the bankruptcy settlement.)
    As tax payers, it seems like we are getting a pretty good deal for the small amount (25% of the tax money the district receives) from our taxes by getting 8 times as much from people who want to support the hospital.

It is hard to imagine how our tax dollars could be better spent.

Dan

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #64
    Dustyg

Just wondering, amidst all of this talk, is the hospital going to open or not? When?
    Last edited by Barry; 06-19-2015 at 12:08 PM.

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #65
    farmerdan

Hey Rustie,

Can't believe everything you read in the paper (or even on WACCO!)

Actually, the article was correct at the time, we were hoping for the district to be able to make these funds available for reopening the hospital. As time went on, it became more apparent that the district would not be able to do this and settle their bankruptcy at the same time. We therefore changed the plan to depend much more heavily on philanthropy for the startup and the yearly funding from the district was reduced to $1M.

This should allow the district to use bond withhold funds and other tax income to make a reasonable settlement with creditors and former employees, something that is important for everyone.

Of the $8M, roughly $5M+ has been received in cash, another $500K+- is in escrow and $2M will become available after July 1. This does not count the district commitment of $1M. There are also other pledges that will come in over time.

Dan

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Rustie: View Post
    I remember reading in a PD article ...
    Last edited by Barry; 06-19-2015 at 12:09 PM.

10. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

11. TopTop #66
    farmerdan

Dustyg,

Yes the hospital is going to open.
    We are not able to publish a date because of state regulations but quite soon.

Dan

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dustyg: View Post
    Just wondering, amidst all of this talk, is the hospital going to open or not? When?

12. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

13. TopTop #67
    rossmen

i heard from one source that almost half the parcels paying this tax are along the river road corridor. and someone else told me that this area contains less than 15% of the registered voters for the healthcare district. both of these could be true given the nature of voter registration and history of property development. if so then a case of taxation without representation, a highly regressive tax...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by geomancer: View Post
    Last I looked, the hospital tax was $155.00 per parcel.

Richard
    Last edited by Barry; 06-21-2015 at 03:27 PM.

14. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

15. TopTop #68
    farmerdan

Rossmen,

These numbers are greatly exaggerated but it is true that more river corridor parcels are owned by people who live outside of the area and either rent their property or use it for vacation than for other areas in the district. (I have heard that one family that has been in the forefront of opposing the hospital owns over 100 parcels along the river.)

In the case of rental properties, the tenants can vote. I suppose one could argue that absentee owners get taxation without representation, but it is hard to shed too many tears for them since they are earning income from their properties and are not likely to pass tax savings on to their tenants or are using their property as a second home and getting the value of local services when they sell. It should be remembered that contiguous parcels and low value (unbuildable) parcels are exempt from the tax so if people have them, they should apply for the exemption.

I will try to get the real numbers for you or maybe someone else has them?

Dan

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    i heard from one source that almost half the parcels paying this tax are along the river road corridor. and someone else told me that this area contains less than 15% of the registered voters for the healthcare district. both of these could be true given the nature of voter registration and history of property development. if so then a case of taxation without representation, a highly regressive tax...

16. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

17. TopTop #69
    Goat Rock Ukulele

Re: Article: What’s New and Exciting About Sonoma West Hospital

How much do you want to bet the family with 100 properties has owned them since before June 6 1978 the date proposition 13 was passed and pays 60% less in property taxes than the young couple who just bought a like property next door? Not all taxes are perfectly fair. But if my paying the health care district tax helps the child who is going into anaphylactic shock from a bee sting or the 55 year old father of three who had a stroke get back home with his brain intact I do it gladly. I pay it three times over.

18. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

19. TopTop #70
    rossmen

thanks dan! while i disagree with you on opening a hospital in sebastopol, i only admire your hard work, dedication, intelligence, and financial support for this project. i believe without you it would not happen. if successful i will contribute to the bronze bust in your likeness, and lay flowers on the pedestal every time i go to swmc : )
    Last edited by Barry; 06-22-2015 at 12:07 PM.

20. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

21. TopTop #71
    Dorothy Friberg

Oh yeah. I had the experience of calling a friend and in speaking to her knew by her speech that she had had a stroke. I rushed her to Palm Drive and told them proper information. They 'observed' her for over and hour and then sent her home. Even though she was having difficulty walking (they finally issued her an aluminum walker upon my request) and sent her home without treatment. The next day she tried to drive, ended up in a ditch, also with a broken hip. Never having fully recovered she died a few years later in a nursing home. So much for emergency care in small town hospitals. I'd rather my tax money go to schools or the roads and leave medical care in the hands of competents.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Goat Rock Ukulele: View Post
    .... But if my paying the health care district tax helps the child who is going into anaphylactic shock from a bee sting or the 55 year old father of three who had a stroke get back home with his brain intact I do it gladly. I pay it three times over.

22. TopTop #72
    Dustyg

And then there are those of us, and plenty of us, whose lives were saved at Palm Drive Hospital, and who would not have made it to another hospital in a farther town. I am one of those.

Oh yeah. I had the experience ...

23. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

24. TopTop #73
    Glia

It sounds like the emergency room, like the rest of the hospital, will be much improved with the new incarnation. Awareness of the need for speedy, effective treatment of stroke is higher than it was even a few years ago.

Oh yeah. I had the experience of calling a friend and in speaking to her knew by her speech that she had had a stroke. I rushed her to Palm Drive ....
    Last edited by Barry; 06-23-2015 at 02:09 PM.

25. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

26. TopTop #74
    Gail Raborn

You're right! SWMC will not be a duplicate of Palm Drive, but promises to bring even more advanced medical care, methods, and treatments of every sort. Can't wait till it's open!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Glia: View Post
    It sounds like the emergency room, like the rest of the hospital, will be much improved with the new incarnation. Awareness of the need for speedy, effective treatment of stroke is higher than it was even a few years ago.
    Last edited by Barry; 06-23-2015 at 01:35 PM.

27. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

28. TopTop #75

What state regulations prevent you from publishing an expected date of opening?

Did you not publish the original anticipated opening date of late April? Why did these state regulations not prevent that public announcement?

What has been the delay/problem in opening?

Thank you for all of your responses to all of our questions.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by farmerdan: View Post
    Dustyg,

Yes the hospital is going to open.
    We are not able to publish a date because of state regulations but quite soon.

Dan
    Last edited by Barry; 06-27-2015 at 02:32 PM.

29. TopTop #76
    Shandi

Rustie, I love the way nothing gets past you! It's one way to keep people honest, and more careful about what they say. Knowing that someone is watching, can help us think before we speak. Thanks!

What state regulations prevent you from publishing an expected date of opening? ...

30. TopTop #77
    gypsey

Actually Shandi and Rustie, this information is available online with a little research.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shandi: View Post
    Rustie, I love the way nothing gets past you! It's one way to keep people honest, and more careful about what they say. Knowing that someone is watching, can help us think before we speak. Thanks!

31. TopTop #78
    farmerdan

Rustie,

Answers below:

We were informed that the state does not allow an opening date to be announced until they have done a survey and approved the hospital license for opening. This makes sense to us since you would not want people showing up for care before the hospital is certified by licensing.

Did you not publish the original anticipated opening date of late April? Why did these state regulations not prevent that public announcement?
    After we published a projected opening date, we were informed by the state that it was against their policy, we were not aware of the regulations prior to this.

What has been the delay/problem in opening?

Primarily the lengthy process of completing construction projects along with added work we decided to do to the building in order to avoid having to make upgrades after the hospital is operational. This work is almost all complete and we are anticipating final approval of construction projects next week. After that, we will have a state title 22 survey by the state and then an accreditation survey after being open for a while. Opening a closed hospital is an extremely complex process and we were overly optimistic in setting the earlier date. Having said this, we have used the time to complete a lot more refurbishing work than we originally planned and we believe that we are within weeks of being ready to open.

Thank you for all of your responses to all of our questions.
    You're welcome.

Dan
    Last edited by Barry; 06-28-2015 at 12:05 PM.

32. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

33. TopTop #79
    Serendipity

After occasionally seeing SOME of the commentary on the hospital, and not overly much so as to avoid wasting my time, I want to chime in on how Rusty communicates- a clearly unfriendly tone and I am not impressed by the incessant determination that is sounds like she/he has to reveal Dan as the most evil liar in the world. Frankly, though I've said hello to the man twice, I barely know him and if I've said hello to Rusty, it was without any introduction.

C'mon! You want to know why he can't give a date? Do you even try to conceptualize anything about how big an endeavor it is to put all the parts of an organic system together in combination with the bureaucracy that it required by the state? If you have the capacity to imagine that there are things happening behind the scenes, why not try to imagine, WITH Empathy, that there are dozens of people focused on a goal, who are all still learning who does what and how each individual's work is inter-dependent on the other, and yet, all of that has to be learned- which of course, TAKES TIME! One cannot know fully how his/her position will be affected by the other until a circumstance occurs that requires the individuals to meet or to work together to solve a problem or to communicate and clarify a process or procedures.

Perhaps you might consider reading something about organizational development or about large systems. I am from a large family so I realize I have a different point of view, usually very different from the child born in a family where there is only one, two, or three children. That's my excuse for having some compassion here and my reason for saying CHILL OUT Rustie. And seriously, if you have this much passion and energy, please, for humanity's sake, charge it towards SB277 or Monsanto or Fluoride in our water. Your energy and passion is incredible but let a man work and give us readers a little break, please.
    (I seriously need to get off this thread! Sorry others who are on it. I mean not to be a downer or to criticize too hard.)

And for the record, I barely read the conversation on which I'm commenting. LOL- it was more like I scanned over a couple of sentences so if I sound like I missed something, that's why. please forgive.)

PS So glad all I had to do was uncheck a box! Peace OUT!

34. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

35. TopTop #80

Hey Dan,

Thanks a lot - Great information - Much appreciated!

36. Gratitude expressed by:

37. TopTop #81

Actually Gypsey I doubt that we could have found the site specific information that Dan provided had we done a little online research. If you have access to a link or two that provides the particular details answering all of the questions then I invite you to share them with us. Short of that I fail to see your point....

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gypsey: View Post
    Actually Shandi and Rustie, this information is available online with a little research.

38. Gratitude expressed by:

39. TopTop #82
    Shandi

My sentiments exactly! Why state that information can be found with a little online research, and not provide the source? Isn't sharing resources the best part about WaccoBB? Maybe sometimes there's an underlying reason for not giving the link for the source of information, and I can only speculate as to what that might be.

Actually Gypsey I doubt that we could have found the site specific information that Dan provided had we done a little online research. If you have access to a link or two that provides the particular details answering all of the questions then I invite you to share them with us. Short of that I fail to see your point....