Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    geomancer

More Consensus on Coffee’s Benefits Than You Might Think

When I was a kid, my parents refused to let me drink coffee because they believed it would “stunt my growth.” It turns out, of course, that this is a myth. Studies have failed, again and again, to show that coffee or caffeine consumption are related to reduced bone mass or how tall people are.

Coffee has long had a reputation as being unhealthy. But in almost every single respect that reputation is backward. The potential health benefits are surprisingly large.

When I set out to look at the research on coffee and health, I thought I’d see it being associated with some good outcomes and some bad ones, mirroring the contradictory reports you can often find in the news media. This didn’t turn out to be the case.
    Just last year, a systematic review and meta-analysis of studies looking at long-term consumption of coffee and the risk of cardiovascular disease was published. The researchers found 36 studies involving more than 1,270,000 participants. The combined data showed that those who consumed a moderate amount of coffee, about three to five cups a day, were at the lowest risk for problems. Those who consumed five or more cups a day had no higher risk than those who consumed none.

Continues here

Last edited by Barry; 05-22-2015 at 09:38 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Scott McKeown

Re: More Consensus on Coffee’s Benefits Than You Might Think

Quote Posted in reply to the post by geomancer: View Post

Just last year, a systematic review and meta-analysis of studies looking at long-term consumption of coffee and the risk of cardiovascular disease was published. The researchers found 36 studies involving more than 1,270,000 participants. The combined data showed that those who consumed a moderate amount of coffee, about three to five cups a day, were at the lowest risk for problems. Those who consumed five or more cups a day had no higher risk than those who consumed none.

Continues here

Thanks for this. This NY Times article outlining the findings of a meta-analysis of dozens of quality studies, along with some of the studies themselves linked in the article, present extremely compelling and robust evidence. Drinking coffee associated with lower risk of cardiovascular disease, liver disease, many cancers, stroke, Parkinson's, diabetes....who knew? I'm sure it may not apply to everyone's individual body and health issues, but still.

I think I'll now go have a cup of coffee -- and not have that tiny twang of needless guilt that I'm doing something slightly bad!

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

4. Gratitude expressed by: