I have a small library of information to help me with my cat, but recently have discovered these two books that may be helpful to other guardians:

"Cat Owner's Veterinary Handbook", and "Secrets of a Vet Tech-The Guide to Low Cost Pet Care When the Cupboard is Bare"

I have a new motto: "No more groomers, No more vets, No more vaccines for my pets!" I realize that some dogs do need a groomer's skills, and I used to take my cat to get her nails clipped. Now, I do it easily with a human nail clipper; which is small and can be hidden until time to use it. I just clip the sharp tips off when she's in a relaxed mood. Sometimes I don't do all 14 of her polydachtal front toes, but save some for another time. I brush and comb her long fur daily, and this gives me a chance to look her over thoroughly. I also use a flea comb daily, so I can catch any that may tend to easily hide in her long fur.

As for vets, I've learned the hard way that they don't always know what's best, even though we want to believe they do. It's a hard one to let go of, until we have to let go of a pet that could have been saved if our vet's bottom line wasn't the money to be made on us. I won't take my cat to a vet anymore, unless she has something that I can't treat on my own.

Vaccines for pets are as dangerous as they are for us. And, we are mandated by law on this one, but there are ways around it. People will also find ways around the mandated laws for vaccines and other things.

Lastly, whenever we entrust our pet to another person , we take a risk, because we don't know what goes on behind closed doors. Vets give drugs that may cause serious reactions. Before your vet gives a drug, find out what it is, and look up the side effects. Especially easy if you have a "smart" phone. You can do it while you're in the room. Take the time; it can save your pet's life!

Groomers may not follow our instructions. Carriers may not be latched properly, causing our pets to escape forever. Pet sitters may torture our animals, as many nanny cams have revealed.

Letting our cats outside also presents a high degree of risk from getting lost, getting poisoned or shot, being attacked by free roaming dogs, or being attacked by other cats. If you let your cats go out, you know that you're risking losing them, or having to pay a huge vet bill to help them recover from the issue that may take their life, without medical attention.