Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    sharingwisdom

New Meter Reading for opt-out smartmeter could raise monthly bills

I received a letter from PG&E about the recent CPUC ruling that allows PG&E to only read the meters every other month for those paying Smartmeter opt-out charges. This means that we could either be overcharged or undercharged every other month depending on what they decide to average.

So I called PG&E yesterday morning. I talked to a really nice lady, and she taught me how to read my meter (she use to be a meter reader). She said that even if I read the meter and let PG&E know, they might not adjust the billing because I'm such a low energy user. She also thought it was great that I came forward with seeing this 'flaw' because no one else has. (I was surprised). She doesn't have a smartmeter either and was concerned herself in how they are billing. Well, that won't deter me in calling each month in keeping my own readings current. This is consumer gouging, and we both knew it.

I said that if a person purchases a product, they expect to know how much they are going to pay and not an estimate. She agreed. Here's to another utility corruption scheme if you don't go along with their use of smartmeter toxicity.

Just so the community knows, there is a new gas company called Santa Rosa Energy. Seems that there is de-regulation going on with other utility companies competing. They use PG&E's lines, like Sonoma Clean Power does for electricity, but this distributor buys from companies that offer the best prices not needing to stay with pricing from just one place. I talked to the owner and two reps spending an amazing two hours with them. They have a wonderful non-hierarchal business structure and philosophy in wanting all their employees to rise together and wanting a supportive and caring atmosphere to grow their company. We had the best time together. Please check them out at
    www.santarosaenergyca.com and talk to Joslyn, the owner.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

3. TopTop #2

Re: New Meter Reading for opt-out smartmeter could raise monthly bills

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sharingwisdom: View Post
    I received a letter from PG&E about the recent CPUC ruling that allows PG&E to only read the meters every other month for those paying Smartmeter opt-out charges. This means that we could either be overcharged or undercharged every other month depending on what they decide to average.......
    Did you also just a get a letter informing you that the opt-out charges will be dropped after you've paid for 3 years and when your 3 years will be up? I got a letter saying that, but not one saying readings will start to be every two months. Odd to get one and not the other.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    Runningbare

Re: New Meter Reading for opt-out smartmeter could raise monthly bills

". . .they might not adjust the billing because I'm such a low energy user." Now there are penalties for energy efficiency? Strangely, when I inquired about prices for Sonoma Clean Power, it turned out their rate structure saves money only for bigger users. Low energy users like me would not save anything, in fact would be paying more.

I don't understand the worry about the possible overbilling in the off months--regardless of whether you send in your reading, or they average it from last year's. Even if they do overbill you for that one month, then they would necessarily compensate by underbilling the following month. The determining factor is their actual reading of your meter, which you can verify by reading it yourself when they do come out. So if the bill goes up one month, it has to come down the next. It all evens out to your actual consumption over the two-month period. If it's too steep to pay the first month, just pay partial, or wait for next month.

If their justification for the opt-out fees is to cover the expense of sending someone out to read the meters, then--
    --How can they charge for the off months when they don't come out?
    --Why should they charge for EACH of the many meters clustered together at one location on the sides of apartment buildings?

Good news pertaining to the illegality of opt-out fees in the first place: There was a fortifying Small Claims Court decision last month in Quincy against their local outlaw utility. The judge's comments are very vindicating and constructive:
    https://stopsmartmeters.org/2015/04/16/judge-rules-electric-utilitys-smart-meter-opt-out-fees-violate-state-law-psrec-refuses-to-reconnect/

I tried to contact Santa Rosa Energy this morning. Do they take Fridays off? The phone rang & rang. Nobody picked up, no voice mail came on. Email, same results.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sharingwisdom: View Post
    I received a letter from PG&E about the recent CPUC ruling that allows PG&E to only read the meters every other month for those paying Smartmeter opt-out charges. This means that we could either be overcharged or undercharged every other month depending on what they decide to average. ...
    Last edited by thedaughter; 05-02-2015 at 12:03 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #4
    sharingwisdom

About Local Representative of Continuum Gas

A quick story about false representation of a product and company.

About 10 months ago, people had been discussing on this Board about other options for Gas besides PG&E. I shared information about a company who came into the area lead by owner at the time, Joslyn Morris, of Santa Rosa Energy. Her company bought gas from various vendors, but they seemed to come through another company called Continuum. At the time, her and her reps seemed upfront, caring and wanting an alternative to PG&E, particularly after all that happened with San Bruno.

She told me that what she was offering would always be less than PG&E. I signed up and received a letter of welcome from Continuum. On my part, I hadn't read it thoroughly as it stated there would be introduction pricing for two months and variability after. (It was a manager at Continuum last week that noted about this letter which I did retain) And Jocelyn kept reassuring me that the prices would always be less than PG&E.

Come this November, she emailed me saying that she wanted to change me to another source rather than the variable rates. I went to look up her company again and the website had disappeared. I emailed her about it, and she said they were going through company change and a new website was under construction. Her phone number had also changed. Her new company was now Edge Valley Energy. I followed her instructions to change, so I could get a better price, which she said would again always be less than PG&E. It didn't go through due to the incorrect customer ID #, and I received notice of this through Continuum. She suggested I do it again with the correct #, and it supposedly went through though I received no confirmation. I let Joslyn know.

When I received my last bill, it was really high. I called PG&E and talked to a rep who told me that this alternative gas company was higher than they were. Then he told me how to figure out my bill helping to process it even for the prior months. Every bill was higher. I got off and emailed Joslyn that I wanted to talk with her by phone. She wanted to know why. All I wrote was that it was about PG&E with the bill. She wouldn't respond to the email or call...that was over a week ago. She had always responded within a day. She knew that I had gotten information that would show she was fabricating the truth about her statements and the bill.

I let her know anyways that I was stopping her services (which I did) and I'd be letting others know about this kind of set-up. I called Continuum as well. They had no record of my calls to change over though I received a letter from them in December. (saved part of it).

On my part, it was my responsibility to read all the small print, calculate the differences, and realize that there was a scam. Lesson learned but hope this will help others if they were approached by her or changed over. Please check your bill. PG&E will let you know how to figure the differences.

8. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: