Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

Police force resigns after 1st black mayor elected

80 percent of police force resigns after Missouri town elects first African-American mayor

Video included in story below:

llowing the election of the town’s first African-American mayor, five of the six officers on a small Missouri town police force resigned en masse, reports KFVS.

Former city clerk Tyrus Byrd was sworn in as mayor of Parma, Missouri on Tuesday only to find out that police officers, as well as the city attorney and a water treatment supervisor, had resigned before she took office.

According to outgoing Mayor Randall Ramsey, who is stepping down after 37 years in town hall over two terms, the city employees gave no prior notice.

Residents of the town, some pointing out that the town was probably over-staffed with police, were unconcerned about their safety after the two full-time and three part-time officers quit.

“I think it was pretty dirty the way they all quit without giving her a chance,” resident Martha Miller said. “But I don’t think they hurt the town by quitting, because who needs six police for 740 people?”

Watch the video below from KFVS:

https://www.rawstory.com/2015/04/80-...merican-mayor/
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Ronaldo

Re: Police force resigns after 1st black mayor elected

So, what am I to infer from this post? Sounds like a good thing to me, perhaps by resigning they will forfeit their pensions or other benefits. In case you don't know the demographics of Parma, Mo, it had a population of 713 people according to the 2010 census. It's about 150 miles south of St. Louis and sounds like your typical one horse, not six policeman town. The black population was less than 30% do you think the police whose race wasn't mentioned felt there was a race problem? Perhaps they just knew their shenanigans would not be tolerated any longer.

Note: Parma Ohio has about 81,000 people and 75 police officers a ratio of 1:1,080 compare to Parma Missouri's 1:123. Ever hear of the term "feather bedding"?

Last edited by thedaughter; 04-21-2015 at 01:17 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #3

Re: Police force resigns after 1st black mayor elected

Love the reaction of that citizen who said who needs all those cops anyway? Must be a pretty calm little town.

Lilith

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Ronaldo: View Post
    So, what am I to infer from this post? Sounds like a good thing to me,...
    Last edited by thedaughter; 04-21-2015 at 01:18 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: