Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    CSummer

Alternative modem for Sonic Fusion service?

A friend who's had Sonic internet service for some time was recently required to change to their Fusion service in order to get phone and internet. She experienced unpleasant sensations when the new modem they provided was turned on (from EMF?) and has found out that other users of this modem have also complained of certain symptoms. She's talked with Sonic's customer service people in an attempt to find out if she can use a different modem but has gotten conflicting answers. Does anyone who has Sonic's Fusion service use a modem other than the one Sonic provides (I believe it's a Pace brand)? Ideally, it would be one without Wifi.

Thanks!
    CSummer - (friend's phone no.: 707-824-8226)
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2

Re: Alternative modem for Sonic Fusion service?

I have a Netgear ADSL2 modem, model DM111PSP that I bought because I didn't want to pay $5/month rental. The important feature for Fusion is that its ADSL2.

It has WiFi capability, but since I already have a router, I configured the modem to turn off it's WiFi. I can't remember the details, but it wasn't too complicated and the Sonic support people were very helpful.

3. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

4. TopTop #3
    CSummer

Many thanks! Interestingly, I haven't seen anything in the Netgear info (including the User Manual) that it has Wifi or wireless LAN capability built in (which is good for my friend's purposes), but certainly one could connect it to a wireless router.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Chris Murray: View Post
    I have a Netgear ADSL2 modem, model DM111PSP that I bought because I didn't want to pay $5/month rental. The important feature for Fusion is that its ADSL2.

It has WiFi capability, but since I already have a router, I configured the modem to turn off it's WiFi. I can't remember the details, but it wasn't too complicated and the Sonic support people were very helpful.

5. TopTop #4
    Karl Frederick

I help keep the house fairly electromagnetically quiet by doing the same thing, using Sonic's Fusion dual line service with the Comtrend/NexusLink 5631 combination modem-router, with the wi-fi turned off. Also discontinued use of the portable phone and microwave, turn the cell phone off unless I want to make or receive a call while I'm away from home, and pay CPUC/PG&E's monthly extortion to keep the analog power meter rather than accepting the so-called Smart Meter.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Chris Murray: View Post

It has WiFi capability, but since I already have a router, I configured the modem to turn off it's WiFi.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #5
    qidancing

I too have Sonic Fusion and am using their modem. I was clear with them that I wanted to use ethernet not wireless. Is there something special I have to do to shut off the wireless on the modem?

Or do I need to get a different kind of modem/router than the one Sonic provides in order to be able to turn off the wi-fi? Am not clear why some of you who have Sonic are talking about using other modems.
    I am making an effort to keep my space as low EMF as I can, and am concerned that the Sonic modem may still have the wifi functioning even though I'm using ethernet cable??

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Karl Frederick: View Post
    I help keep the house fairly electromagnetically quiet by doing the same thing, using Sonic's Fusion dual line service with the Comtrend/NexusLink 5631 combination modem-router, with the wi-fi turned off...
    Last edited by thedaughter; 04-21-2015 at 12:52 PM.

8. TopTop #6

Call sonic customer service - 1-888-766-4233 - its their modem and they're competent people. Explain what you want and they'll walk you through any changes you may need to make.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by qidancing: View Post
    I too have Sonic Fusion and am using their modem. I was clear with them that I wanted to use ethernet not wireless. Is there something special I have to do to shut off the wireless on the modem?...
    Last edited by thedaughter; 04-21-2015 at 12:53 PM.

9. Gratitude expressed by:

10. TopTop #7
    CSummer

Did you see the original post at the top of this thread? A friend was experiencing certain symptoms when the modem/router was turned on. The wi-fi was supposed to be disabled, but something else may have been emitting excessive EMF. As Chris Murray says above, if you call Sonic, they can probably check whether wi-fi is turned off or not on your modem/router

Quote Posted in reply to the post by qidancing: View Post
    I too have Sonic Fusion and am using their modem. I was clear with them that I wanted to use ethernet not wireless...
    Last edited by thedaughter; 04-21-2015 at 12:53 PM.

11. TopTop #8
    guy

i have sonic's pace modem and can easily go to their site and enable or disable the wifi. are you saying in the first post that when the wifi is disabled that the pace modem is emitting emf's?

12. TopTop #9
    CSummer

No, only saying that my friend experienced certain sensations or symptoms when the modem was on that she apparently didn't when it was off. Sonic said the wifi was turned off. It wasn't checked for EMFs. It's possible that the modem - or the cables to/from it - emits some amount of EMFs even when the wifi is off.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by guy: View Post
    i have sonic's pace modem and can easily go to their site and enable or disable the wifi. are you saying in the first post that when the wifi is disabled that the pace modem is emitting emf's?

13. Gratitude expressed by:

guy
  14. TopTop #10
    Runningbare

Quote Posted in reply to the post by CSummer: View Post
    No, only saying that my friend experienced certain sensations or symptoms when the modem was on that she apparently didn't when it was off. Sonic said the wifi was turned off. It wasn't checked for EMFs. It's possible that the modem - or the cables to/from it - emits some amount of EMFs even when the wifi is off.
    Possible, probable.

I applaud Sonic's move toward fiberoptic cable internet service, but I can't say as much for their Pace modems. I never would have volunteered to rent one of these hulking, archaic monsters. Their service personnel are indeed friendly, engaging, and helpful, but company policies limit their effectiveness. We had a frustrating, fickle problem with our internet connection that dragged on for months. Tech "service" was limited to calls that resulted in inconclusive guesses as to the source of the problem. They surmised it was our cheap little modem. They wouldn't come out to check our end of the line--unless we first agreed to rent one of THEIR modems and try it out. We succumbed to the armtwisting, but the problem remained. A few more calls later, and they FINALLY sent out tech service. Turns out the problem was in the AT&T service line, but that determination could only be made from this end. So now we have 2 modems.

We use ethernet exclusively. They told us their Pace modem has the WIFI turned off, but when I measure the EMR coming out of it with my electrosmog meter, it reads in the red zone at an average of 325 milliwatts per square meter! The laptop averages about 10.

I switched back to my Minimac desktop computer and our veteran Verizon Model 6100G modem that I got for a buck at a garage sale. It's about one third the size of their Pace, and was manufactured with no WIFI or router capability. Everything now works speedy with it, just like the old days. Oh, and the EMR reading: 0.0013. So the Sonic Posterchild Pace modem puts out over 300,000 times the radiation that the old Verizon does. Whudathunk?

The Minimac reads around 0.0021, the monitor around 0.0012.
    By way of comparison, the frequent pulsing stabs coming out of my neighbor's dumb meter read an astonishing 1827! He drinks a lot.
    Last edited by thedaughter; 05-02-2015 at 12:01 PM.

15. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

16. TopTop #11
    CSummer

Thanks much for this information - quite valuable! I suspected that a modem with wireless router would have little restrictions on how much EMF/EMR it could emit, since in wifi mode it normally transmits lots of it. Seeing that the old Verizon modem you're using is obsolete makes me think you must be connected to one of Sonic's older NICs (network interface cards). Sonic people have told my friend the older modems will not work with the new NIC she's connected to, and we've been looking all over for something other than the Pace modem that will work. I suspect that someday many more people will realize being around these microwave transmitters isn't good for their health.

CSummer

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Runningbare: View Post
    Possible, probable. I applaud Sonic's move toward fiberoptic cable internet service, but I can't say as much for their Pace modems....
    Last edited by thedaughter; 05-02-2015 at 12:01 PM.

17. TopTop #12
    Runningbare

I must apologize for misinformation inadvertently conveyed regarding high EMR emissions from the Sonic Pace modem. I mistakenly believed the modem had the WIFI turned off, but in fact it wasn't. After ensuring that it is turned off, the readings fell from 325 milliwatts per square meter, to 0.0025--much healthier.

"We use ethernet exclusively . . .when I measure the EMR coming out of it with my electrosmog meter, it reads in the red zone at an average of 325 milliwatts per square meter! The laptop averages about 10.

I switched back to my Minimac desktop computer and our veteran Verizon Model 6100G modem that I got for a buck at a garage sale. It's about one third the size of their Pace, and was manufactured with no WIFI or router capability. Everything now works speedy with it, just like the old days. Oh, and the EMR reading: 0.0013. "

Last edited by thedaughter; 05-04-2015 at 11:51 AM.

18. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: