Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Dixon

Low cost cell phones and service

Being pretty much disinterested in machines, and resistant to getting addicted to whatever the latest electronic gadget is, I'm a "late adopter"; I've never gotten a cell phone--until now. On May 2nd I'm moving, and I've decided to get rid of my land-line and go to cell phone only. Could someone kindly answer this ignorant newbie's questions about how cheaply I can get a very basic cell-phone that has good coverage in the west Cotati area, whether I must sign a 2-year contract or whatever, and whether/how I can save money by getting a used phone (or does starting a new contract require that I use that company's new phone)? Also, are there any companies you could recommend or warn me against? All other things being equal, a company that supports progressive causes is preferred. Also, will it be possible to transfer my long-time phone number to my new cell phone? (The prefix is 527, which I think is pretty close to Cotati.) Thanks in advance for any answers.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-16-2015 at 10:48 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: Low cost cell phones and service

I'm one of the few people I know who don't have a "smart" phone. I really don't need one, and refuse to buy in just because everyone else has one. I actually don't use my cell phone much because we have an Ooma set up house phone, which only costs $10 a month for unlimited calls anywhere in the US. The system cost $150 originally. So since I'm home most of the time, I use that. I take my cell when I go out, but never talk while I'm driving. NEVER!

There are many cell phones available without a contract. The thing you need to know is how much do you talk on the phone? If you talk a lot, then you can get a phone with unlimited minutes for about $40 a month.

I have Consumer Cellular, and their plans start at $10 for limited minutes. I have 1500 minutes for $40, but I share the account with someone. You can buy a used phone at Sears for Consumer Cellular, and you can use your current number.

I think Credo supports causes, but I know nothing about their service or prices. You'll probably get some good suggestions and advice.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    Being pretty much disinterested in machines,...
    Last edited by Barry; 04-16-2015 at 10:50 AM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    meherc
    Supporting member

I bought mine for $4.99, no contract. I don't surf the web on my phone, actually use it for phone calls. It's cheap, you buy minutes and they usually double them as a promo. It's a Tracphone - not very hip but serves its purpose. Works here in Forestville; I transferred my old number. You can buy a fancier one but this takes pictures (oooh) -can buy one at Safeway or on the web.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    Being pretty much disinterested in machines,...
    Marilyn Meshak Herczog, EA

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    arthunter

I also refuse to buy a smart phone because when I'm out and about I like to focus on my surroundings, not my phone ... I have a cheapo Virgin Atlantic phone ... I think that it cost $15.00, but they have lots of models ... you add minutes online and there are many different plans ... I buy unlimited phone calls, text, and internet for $35.00 a month ... the phone will do all of that but it's smaller than a smart phone so it's difficult to use it in this way ... I find that I can pull in a good signal from anywhere which is a plus ...

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #5
    Karl Frederick

Hi Dixon,
    I'm also a relatively late adopter. Bought my simple "flip phone" at Best Buy for $10 on sale 3 years ago. My service provider is Page Plus Cellular www.pagepluscellular.com They have several relatively inexpensive no-contract plans. I believe you may be able to transfer your land line number to the cell phone -- it's called "porting."
    Last edited by Barry; 04-16-2015 at 10:51 AM.

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #6
    sonofkirk

Because of my income (or lack of income), I received free: a little cell phone (not a smart one); unlimited text; and no charge for domestic calls or minutes. Actually I could get internet if I wanted to pay a fee for data, but choose not to. It is a federally funded program called California Lifeline. I believe the yearly maximum income rate is $23,000 for one person (need to check that - but close). I did the whole thing over the internet. Received the phone within 10 days of signing up. I received a new number, but there are phone companies that buy into the program and they can give you back your number.

All the information is on their website. I just wanted to get this information out to anyone who needs it.

12. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

13. TopTop #7

Here's a possibility you may want to look into. Not a recommendation. Be sure to check coverage, not only where you live but where you might wander. If your usage is low, it might be just the toy for you.
    https://www.1sale.com/products/100-f...imus-f3-49-99/

14. Gratitude expressed by:

15. TopTop #8
    Icssoma

have only found verizon to work in west county--above bill's farm basket, out bodega, occidental, etc.
    credo goes through sprint, as long as you avoid these areas in west county you can find out what their coverage is for your area. credo has said they expect to expand service, been several years now, but this will likely be the last place.
    i also have a flip phone & find they are harder to come by in this smart phone market, depending on your carrier.
    tmobile is inexpensive, & works better than any other service in my area, except verizon. it doesn't work in forestville (verizon, att work fine).
    have a couple of friends who have Boost (free standing stores in shopping malls, there is one off of Stony pt. & Santa Rosa avenue.
    there is a used cell phone place on 4th street, but it was not cheap ($65).
    craig's list used to be a great source, but when i looked the other day, there were only postings for smart phones, & a package of used less expensive phones.
    more of the larger carriers are offering alternatives to contracts.
    family plans are usually less expensive than solo plans.
    my phone is $10 a month, but my adult children have smart phones, which run about $50 for unlimited text & calling, & using where there is wireless, and limited data plans (for internet access).
    i am on the computer most of the morning, so i do not want to have that kind of connectivity in the afternoon.
    i give few people my cell phone #, as it is a convenience for me/my family, & i don't want to have another place to check messages.
    questions:
    what type of phone, smart or basic?
    where will you be using the phone (most carriers have a 15 day trial where you can test coverage--or ask your neighbors).
    customer service was an oxymoron, have notice that verizon this last month was better than ever...was shocked.
    had planned to "go w. my son" to explore Tmobile, when he is off of his contract next month.
    (a smart phone has been helpful for him, so he can leave text messages by voice).
    amazon, and ebay have had large selections of used flip/basic model phones, though you need to have confidence in the seller, & be clear that they know what they are selling. (locked vs. unlocked, a provider specific phone).
    the good news is any sales person in any store will help you,if you are clear about carriers in areas that you will be using the phone.
    credo as well as T mobile have had frequent plans to "buy out contracts".
    "trac phones" are carried at many large stores now, best buy, wal mart (yuck), some drug stores, some grocery stores, etc.
    as someone suggested you can also try a trac phone for a month and refill the minutes, continue/discontinue the service.
    you can have a family plan without being related, or living at the same address, though the bill will only go to one address. having a family plan usually has significant savings for multiple phones.
    good luck!

16. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

17. TopTop #9
    Shandi

I checked this out, and while they indicate "FREE", be sure to check the fine print for charges that you may not be aware of. Why would they put the actual monthly charges in fine print? It may be a good deal overall, but I wouldn't use a company that's doing business in a way that hooks you in, then hopes you don't notice the real charges. (Even though they may be lower.)

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Chris Murray: View Post
    Here's a possibility you may want to look into. Not a recommendation. Be sure to check coverage, not only where you live but where you might wander. If your usage is low, it might be just the toy for you.
    https://www.1sale.com/products/100-f...imus-f3-49-99/

18. Gratitude expressed by: