Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barrie
    Supporting member

Be careful driving in the Barlow development.

I was on my way to Community Market after turning right off of Hwy 12 at the stop light, then left into the Barlow, when I stopped before making a left turn again towards the market. There were two young women walking towards the east, in my direction, on the side walk. They were looking strait ahead, talking, and showing no sign of turning to use the crosswalk in front of me. After seeing that they were OK, I looked ahead and to my left for cars before I made the left turn. Just into the turn I saw that these women were right in front of my car! I braked immediately and was grateful that I had seen them. They had very angry, self righteous expressions on their faces as if it had never occurred to them that they needed to pay attention to traffic before stepping into the cross walk. It is ultimately the driver's responsibility, but pedestrians have some responsibility also. I think that the lay out, etc., of the Barlow leads pedestrians to not pay attention.

Barrie
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

3. TopTop #2
    rossmen

Re: Be careful driving in the Barlow development.

just yesterday i had a close call driving north on 116 into the setting sun where the guy was killed last year and the girl disabled 4 years ago. as a regular driver, bicyclist, and walker, this is just one example of near death, from different perspectives, on the busy streets of sebtown, that i have experienced. the problem in the drivers seat is that other vehicles are the threat. so no matter how much we look for the most vulnerable our first priority will be watching for them. at least the barlow speed is 15 and its congestion and width is more like a parking lot, so you were able to stop : )

the walkers in front of me yesterday were very careful, and looked angry. they had their arms out and were standing in the crosswalk beside a parked car. i saw them only 20 ft ahead and swerved and slowed a bit, but i probably wasn't the only car to zoom by as they waited for a safe chance to dash : (

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barrie: View Post
    ... It is ultimately the driver's responsibility, but pedestrians have some responsibility also. I think that the lay out, etc., of the Barlow leads pedestrians to not pay attention.
    Last edited by thedaughter; 04-11-2015 at 12:22 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Shandi

I hope that everyone who has similar experiences posts here. As documentation continues, this will be helpful in convincing the powers that be that a plan and implementation of safeguards be strongly considered. Sometimes many people have to be maimed or die before change happens. At least these posts will give acute awareness of the dangers of being a pedestrian and a driver in this area.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rossmen: View Post
    just yesterday i had a close call driving north on 116 into the setting sun...
    Last edited by thedaughter; 04-11-2015 at 12:23 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    Glia

It sounds like bad design. Car parking and driveways should be totally separate from pedestrian walkways. Maybe the Barlow Center had to work with the existing buildings rather than tearing everything down and starting over -- an indication that retail was not the best re-use of this facility.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barrie: View Post
    ... I think that the lay out, etc., of the Barlow leads pedestrians to not pay attention.

Barrie

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #5
    ChefJayTay

I cannot stand the Californian mentality brought on by laws that protect the pedestrian regardless of how dumb they act. No where else have I lived do people believe they are in the right to just walk out in the middle of the road & expect traffic to magically stop. I'm not saying that pedestrians do or don't always deserve the right of way, but momentum kills people who don't look and these laws promote it.

This same mentality extends to the fact that Californians seem incapable of merging at speed. So tired of towing a large HEAVY trailer (for my pickup), and have people brake for oncoming highway traffic in the low speed line (Newsflash, it's merging traffic's job to slow down or speed up, not my 4ton truck&trailer).

10. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

11. TopTop #6
    Victoria Street

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ChefJayTay: View Post
    I cannot stand the Californian mentality brought on by laws that protect the pedestrian...
    Yes! Yes! I'm sooo with you on this one, ChefJayTay. I'm a driver AND a pedestrian - aren't most people? I don't understand how people can just step off a curb into traffic without looking, even if they (pedestrians) do have the right away. So Darwinian...
    Last edited by thedaughter; 04-13-2015 at 01:32 PM.

12. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

13. TopTop #7
    Shandi

There's a lot of "California mentality" brought on by unreasonable and irrational laws that even extend to other states. Unfortunately, we live in a culture of "smart" phones, operated by people who act "dumb". I consider taking unnecessary risks with machinery, which includes vehicles, pretty dumb, and usually ends up with the human being getting maimed or killed. As long as we may be considered "at fault", it's in our best interest to be extra careful as a driver, while watching out for unaware pedestrians or other drivers. For examples of dangerous and "dumb" risk taking, look at the dumb things people do on Funniest Home Videos.

I cannot stand the Californian mentality brought on by laws that protect the pedestrian regardless...
    Last edited by thedaughter; 04-13-2015 at 01:33 PM.

14. TopTop #8
    Beanie

My chance to vent "-) Soon after the completion of the new crosswalks in town, I asked Sue Kelley about the cost and time - don't quote me but it was something like $13m and 8 years or $8m and 13 years (I am sure correct numbers will be posted). But my point is, no soon were they up, but people continue to cross from Town square to Whole foods outside of the cross walk. AND many don't use the button for the lights.

If there are lights there, they need to be used. We as drivers are now watching for that. And where there are no lights, indicate you want to cross by a step forward - but don't just start walking because that is your right.

Wait till it is safe, EVEN if the driver ignores you.

15. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

16. TopTop #9
    hari

Hmmm. Does anyone know how many pedestrian-car accidents there have been in the Barlow? I spend a lot of time at Taylor Maid, and the problem is, when it's fairly empty, it *feels* like it's one of those areas that Is 'pedestrians first'. Sometimes it's easy to feel like it's actually closed to traffic. I think developers of the Barlow Wanted us to *feel* like that - but unfortunately, a lot of cars are using McKinley as a thru street to avoid the downtown light - and are driving through at 30-40mph. Most people are driving thru very slowly, to look around (which is also dangerous, because they're not looking for pedestrians) - but imo the biggest danger is between the pedestrians in 'vacation mode' and drivers in 'get home quickly' mode. I honestly wish that McKinley was closed to traffic - and I'm one of the people who uses it as a through-street. Then again, I'm sure this was argued about by bigger wigs than me. So my usual 2 cents is de-valued to 1 cent.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Glia: View Post
    It sounds like bad design...
    Last edited by thedaughter; 04-14-2015 at 01:11 PM.

17. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

18. TopTop #10
    Shandi

Good advice for those pedestrians who need to be reminded. That wouldn't apply to anyone here, would it?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Beanie: View Post
    My chance to vent "-) Soon after the completion of the new crosswalks in town,....
    Last edited by thedaughter; 04-14-2015 at 01:12 PM.

19. TopTop #11
    tommy

The way we drive, and our attitudes to others on the highways, towards highway designers, Barlow designers, and pedestrians, is a reflection of how we view ourselves in relation to others. We can drive with a touch of love, defensively, non aggressively, noticing the feelings towards others that arise, or we can drive with a "king of the road" attitude, always being right, always taking the right of way, always finding fault with others, losing touch with our peace of mind. I'm not trying to be holier than thou, I've just noticed that slowing down, and going with the flow of traffic makes for more peaceful driving.

I cannot stand the Californian mentality brought on by laws that protect the pedestrian regardless of how dumb they act...
    Last edited by thedaughter; 04-14-2015 at 01:13 PM.

20. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

21. TopTop #12
    Shandi

Tommy, Your statement reflects an awareness and consciousness of bringing our best self to the powerful act of driving a machine that's capable of taking lives in seconds. We seldom give thought to the power we hold in our hands (hopefully, both hands most of the time). Almost all accidents are caused by being out of the present moment, not focused on the task at hand. When we're in a hurry to get somewhere or do something else, our consciousness is split. It doesn't work well for us or others. Driving this way opens the door to tragic consequences. I hope that these reminders from our community will help all of us to increase our awareness as drivers and pedestrians.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by tommy: View Post
    The way we drive, and our attitudes to others on the highways....

22. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

23. TopTop #13
    Victoria Street

The way we drive, and our attitudes to others on the highways,...
    I agree with everything you say, Tommy. I want to add, however, that this mentality needs to also extend to that of pedestrians. From my perspective from behind the wheel, if somebody flings themselves from the sidewalk, I'm either going to get rear ended, or they will end up decorating my hood, or both. Not a good scenario for anyone, but the consequences are so much more dire for the pedestrian. And yet - all they have to do is look both ways. As a driver, I'm checking 360 constantly. And downtown, you can't help but go with the flow. So I'm with ya - love, peace and brotherhood - and look both ways before crossing!

24. Gratitude expressed by:

25. TopTop #14
    Barrie
    Supporting member

Tommy, I agree with you 100% and had a bumper sticker on my car that said "Slow Down, Enjoy Life" which was removed not by me. It was really cute so I guess someone wanted it. My problem that day at the Barlow was that I did stop, checked out the young women who did not appear to be planning to cross the street in front of me, then went on to look for vehicle traffic. I am very grateful that I did see them before them I hit them! I wrote this post to warn other people that visitors to the Barlow may be in a wine tasting, holiday mood and not being as vigilant as they should be when stepping out in front of cars. Barrie

The way we drive, and our attitudes to others on the highways,...

26. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: