Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Sasu

75 ft fake tree cell tower downtown Forestville

On March 19, 2015 Sonoma County approved a 75 foot cell tower with 12 antennas for 6320 Forestville Street. This is right downtown, close to homes, businesses, and the elementary school. This is going to be a toxic eye sore for Forestville. I don't know if anyone has opposed this, but the appeal expires after ten days from approval.

https://www.forestvillefpa.org/CellTowerAppVerison.pdf
    Last edited by Barry; 02-09-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    gypsey

Re: 75 ft fake tree cell tower downtown Forestville

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I wonder how many out there are willing to give up their cell phones to avoid having these towers?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Sasu: View Post
    On March 19, Sonoma County approved a 75 foot cell tower with 12 antennas for 6320 Forestville Street. This is right downtown, close to homes, businesses, and the elementary school. This is going to be a toxic eye sore for Forestville. I don't know if anyone has opposed this, but the appeal expires after ten days from approval.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Sasu

Do people in Forestville not have cell phone reception? I don't think that's the issue here. People can have reception without over saturating small towns with harmful frequencies. I don't know the selling point of this 12 antenna tower, but I don't think it's about a need for cell reception.

LA Firefighters just took a stand against 86 cell towers on fire stations for health reasons and they won.
    Updated: Los Angeles firefighters stop cell towers

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gypsey: View Post
    ...I wonder how many out there are willing to give up their cell phones to avoid having these towers?
    Last edited by thedaughter; 03-26-2015 at 11:49 AM.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    rekarp

That actually is the issue. Cell reception in Forestville is at best spotty, and for the most part non-existent.

Do people in Forestville not have cell phone reception? I don't think that's the issue here. People can have reception without over saturating small towns with harmful frequencies. I don't know the selling point of this 12 antenna tower, but I don't think it's about a need for cell reception. ...

8. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

9. TopTop #5
    hanford
    Supporting Member

big money and the phone CO. finance these assaults on property owners who have the delight to live next to a microwave antenna /oven cooking their property values. Other sites could be purchased, but cost and time permit development often take precedence ,corporate greed/profit.$ dollar per gigabyte bandwidth.

Phone co would like to get rid of not profitable land lines, so these towers are going to sprout up like rommels asperagus..

solution ... cable based digital phone service.and city council oversight. if possible

On March 19, Sonoma County approved a 75 foot cell tower with 12 antennas for 6320 Forestville Street. This is right downtown, close to homes, businesses, and the elementary school. This is going to be a toxic eye sore for Forestville. I don't know if anyone has opposed this, but the appeal expires after ten days from approval.

Last edited by Barry; 02-08-2017 at 01:59 PM.

10. Gratitude expressed by:

11. TopTop #6
    SonomaPatientsCoop

Hmm. Let's start with the fact that there is NO widely accepted evidence of RF from cell towers having any correlation to cancer or other health issues. (And yes, I am aware there are groups who like to quote a small number of dissenting scientists and quote a handful of studies that show [a small] correlation [but not ausation] . I can also point to similiar groups that insist the earth is flat, or that climate change is a hoax).

Then we need to discuss the fact that there are standards for exposure to RF that are well below the level of what is suspected of potentially causing harm. The levels below and around these towers are hundreds to thousands of times below these levels.

If memory serves The American Cancer Society has a great page debunking myths about RF.

Now we need to discuss the fact that cellular service in the areas around forrestville tend to be somewhere between spotty and non-existent. Many people do not have landlines (and landnines frequently go down during storms). Someone mentioned above cable pased VOIP phone service- but again, high speed internet access in the surrounding areas is virtually non-existent, and like landlines, cable service also tends to fall prey to storms).

So on the one hand we have a perceived but largely unsupported fear of some risk from RF, and on the other hand we have the very real reality of everyone from residents to drivers, to those out and about on foot or by bike having no access to emergency services in the event of an accident, medical emergency, crime, domestic violence, etc. Not to mention the inconvenience and very really impacts on life quality of being cutoff from communication. And living in the area- I'll add a personal observation of real problems caused by lack of cellular service in the area- tourist season when peoples mapping program stops working as they drive through the area- leading to confused and dangerous drivers (and sidenote: having what, 12? damn turns to the right all labeled Trenton Road just east of Forestville off River Rd confuses even locals, made worse by no good cell service there)

12. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

13. TopTop #7
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

This thread was started in March 2015. Anybody know if the cell tower has been erected yet?

14. TopTop #8
    Barry
    Founder & Moderator

Quote Posted in reply to the post by SonomaPatientsCoop: View Post
    ...If memory serves The American Cancer Society has a great page debunking myths about RF....
    Your memory is correct!

Here's some links of interest from the American Cancer Society

15. Gratitude expressed by:

16. TopTop #9
    SonomaPatientsCoop

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barry: View Post
    This thread was started in March 2015. Anybody know if the cell tower has been erected yet?
    Whoops, missed that...someone had bumped it.

Can't answer the question definitively but given the continued lack of cell reception in the area I'd assume the tower has not been completed.

I would add that during roughly the same time period I think such "fake tree" cell towers were placed in Occidental (may have been a traditional tower), as well as there off of Tood Rd near 116 (the little strip of Park Avenue Turf) land, and on South Santa Rosa Ave. They look pretty real at a quick glance- hopefully the squirells and woodpeckers aren't fooled...

17. TopTop #10
    rekarp

I think the tower is finished and transmitting. It's a Verizon tower.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-08-2017 at 12:25 PM.

18. TopTop #11
    SonomaPatientsCoop

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rekarp: View Post
    I think the tower is finished and transmitting. It's a Verizon tower.
    While I have heard Verizon have been the ones investing most in service in west county I'll say Im on verizon and have no real service in Forestville or surrounding areas (unless I'm up high).

On River Rd- From several miles west of the Hacienda Bridge to several miles east of The Farmhouse Inn and Restaurant there is little if any service. Same in town proper- heading towards Sebastopol on 116 service returns somewhere past Russian River Vineyards. Heading towards Guerneville on 116 it's virtually non-existent until you get to town.

19. Gratitude expressed by:

20. TopTop #12
    rekarp

One thing for sure is that it is a Verizon tower. I can't say for sure that it is operating, but it's 50 yards from my office, and my co-workers with Verizon have service now, whereas they previously did not.

While I have heard Verizon have been the ones investing most in service in west county I'll say I'm on verizon and have no real service in Forestville or surrounding areas (unless I'm up high)....
    Last edited by Barry; 02-08-2017 at 12:27 PM.

21. TopTop #13
    Shepherd

I am confused by the March 19 date below, since we are still in February. Is this the accurate date? Have the ten days deadline after approval already happened?

[ The post below is from 2015 - Barry]

22. TopTop #14
    ChefJayTay

Besides... How else are we expected to track stealth aircraft flying over the US?
    (oops... was I not supposed to say that?)

23. TopTop #15
    Dorothy Friberg

I for one, being a rural Forestville resident would like better reception for my cell phone. At present I have to drive out to make calls.

24. TopTop #16
    SonomaPatientsCoop

Quote Posted in reply to the post by rekarp: View Post
    One thing for sure is that it is a Verizon tower. I can't say for sure that it is operating, but it's 50 yards from my office, and my co-workers with Verizon have service now, whereas they previously did not.

Mea culpa. I suppose I became so accustomed to no service...

Anyway- I checked when I was downtown Forestville today- and I did have service. Likewise heading towards Sebastopol. (still no service on river road or down near Speers market). So I am assuming this is a pretty low tower designed only to cover Forestville.

25. Gratitude expressed by:

26. TopTop #17
    vlondi

I wish they'd stick a few more towers on the west end of Sebastopol. I'm near Ragel Ranch Rd. and I don't get service (Verizon) half the time, and the other half of the time I'm only getting voicemails/texts from days prior.

27. Gratitude expressed by:

28. TopTop #18
    pixeee nation

On March 19, 2015 Sonoma County approved a 75 foot cell tower with 12 antennas for 6320 Forestville Street. This is right downtown, close to homes, businesses, and the elementary school. This is going to be a toxic eye sore for Forestville. I don't know if anyone has opposed this, but the appeal expires after ten days from approval.

Its PERVERSION to hide those disgusting E.M.F towers..We NEED TO be able see the junk WE are being OVER BURDENED WITH..so WE CAN CHOOSE TO AVOID those areas!
    Last edited by Barry; 02-21-2017 at 11:59 AM.

29. TopTop #19
    Trey

Mea culpa. I suppose I became so accustomed to no service...

Anyway- I checked when I was downtown Forestville today- and I did have service. Likewise heading towards Sebastopol. (still no service on river road or down near Speers market). So I am assuming this is a pretty low tower designed only to cover Forestville.
    Does anyone know the date when this new tower went live, and if any other tower changes have occurred that would effect the outlying areas of Forestville near River Road heading east? We have had Verizon's Home Fusion (now called LTE Internet Installed) for the last 4 years for our internet service. Last week it ceased working, and Verizon is now telling us we are in a low service area. Our cell phones which are also through Verizon are still working perfectly. Verizon has always had the best signal, and anyone visiting us that has AT&T (or other) never have service at our place.