Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shepherd

Winemaker Paul Hobbs, Repeat Offender, Violating Agreements Again

This neighbor drives by Paul Hobbs new Watertrough Rd. vineyard in the Sebastopol countryside many days each week on the way to town. The vineyard borders on five schools with around 700 students.

Bright wildflowers and vibrant grasses recently appeared in the rows between his young grape vines. Perhaps Hobbs had decided to change his colors, as he agreed to do so as part of a $100,000 settlement with Sonoma County. It could have fined him millions of dollars for his repeated violations in at least three cases, including causing soil erosion into a creek off Watertrough and clear-cutting redwood trees without permits.

Alas, last week the plants were brown and dying. Then emails arrived from other neighbors and parents, who formed the Watertrough Childrens Alliance (WCA) back in 2013. They had seen someone in protective covering and a mask spraying from a tractor and tank early on March 20, a school day.

WCA had scheduled a barn sale that weekend to help raise funds for an ongoing lawsuit against Hobbs. So this neighbor went and listened to an animated discussion on what was happening and how to respond to it.

“I love our Orchard View School, which my son attends. He is very sensitive to chemicals,” commented Hilary Avalon. “It would be a shame if we had to leave the school for something like this invasive process. If CEQA (California Environmental Quality Act) had been applied, this spraying might not have happened. The schools are impacted and my child is affected. The law needs to be strengthened.”

Winemaker Paul Hobbs broke promises again on a windy school day. He had agreed not to spray without informing Apple Blossom and the other four schools on Watertrough within 24 hours before spraying, so that families could be alerted. He failed to inform them, as promised.

Concerned rural neighbors made the following comment, all requesting anonymity:

“Hobbs has so much money. He is on a power trip. We don’t trust him. If we could get him to really go sustainable, that would be good.”

“We smelled the pesticides on two different days, early in the morning. They had a small tank that they were spraying from.”

“They put in a big pump for water. It sucks our wells dry. The last time a nearby vineyard put in a well to irrigate, our wells went down.” All this in California’s fourth year of drought, when residents are asked to conserve water, whereas Hobbs can use as much as he wants.

“After they cut the apple orchard, there are now more winds. He also took out a redwood grove. We get a wind tunnel all summer long. I have to wipe the dust off every day.”

“Taking out the apple trees was horrible. This big giant equipment ripped out the trees and turned them into dust.”

“Hobbs promised to communicate to Superintendent Barbara Bickford about when he would spray, but he did not.”

“At least one child was sent home sick.”

“I developed a low-grade headache from the spraying.”

“I call this Hobbs toxic playground,” said one grandmother.

“The head of the school board is concerned by this spraying. They will meet on April 9 at 4:30.”

“Round-up was recently classified as cancer-causing, which might have been what Hobbs used.”

“Hobbs wine is full of pesticides. It comes at the cost of children’s health and redwoods.”

“Hobbs promised to not spray until next year.”

“Hobbs had a great opportunity to do the right thing, which he blew.”

“This is Hobbs saying FU to the community again.”

“Our technical case for a permit violation by Hobbs was not dismissed on March 2,” an observer of WCA’s court case commented. “The judge agreed to make a ruling in 90 days. Hobbs agreed to a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) that he would give 24 hours of notice before spraying, which he did not do in this case.”

San Francisco’s North Bay large winemakers routinely violate the weak rules regarding their practices and are seldom fined, according to the daily Press Democrat, March 11, 2015. Those rules need to be enforced and strengthened, especially as we enter an even more-dry drought.

The Economist magazine reports that it takes around 30 gallons of water to make one glass of wine. Water is used for many purposes, including irrigation, cleaning, and frost protection. Whereas Hobbs’ wine costs up to $300 dollars a bottle, he extracts groundwater for free, while the rest of us are encouraged to conserve.

At press time, it remained unclear what Hobbs was spraying. Perhaps it was Round-Up. According to a March 21 AP story from London, recent studies by the World Health Organization (WHO) document that its use can cause cancer: “One of the world's most popular weed-killers — and the most widely used kind in the U.S. — has been labeled a probable carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer.”

Fortunately, there remains many hard-working, local, ethical grape-growers and winemakers who do follow the law. Some are even organic and biodynamic and work to preserve the environment, rather than assault it, as Hobbs does.

WCA has a flyer with the words “Don’t Spray Where We Play” at the top. It continues, “Take a Stand to Stop Pesticide Drift on our Playgrounds.”

For those not wanting to purchase such tainted wine, Hobbs sells wine under his own name, as well as under the labels Crossbarn and Vina Cabas. More information is available at www.facebook.com/BoycottPaulHobbsWines.

Donations to WCA can be made by visiting https://wcachildren.org/donate/. They can also by made by PayPal to https://owlfoundation.net/OWL.htm or by a check to O.W.L. Foundation, 1390 McDowell Blvd # G306, Petaluma, CA. 94954 with WCA on the check.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-23-2015 at 10:25 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    AllorrahBe

Re: Winemaker Paul Hobbs, Repeat Offender, Violating Agreements Again

My friend lives across the street from his property. She has Hashimoto's immune/thyroiditis and had a huge reaction to something right around the time of this spray. I hope she sues for damages~she also suffered a lot of allergy symptoms from all the dust blowing across the nude field after the Redwood windbreak was ripped down. This man could be killing my friend and getting away with it! Thanks to all who are organized enough to fight this destructive element and thanks to you for this great piece!
    Still prayin for Peace,
    Rev. BE

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    This neighbor drives by Paul Hobbs new Watertrough Rd. vineyard in the Sebastopol countryside many days each week on the way to town. The vineyard borders on five schools with around 700 students....
    Last edited by thedaughter; 03-24-2015 at 01:00 PM.

3. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

4. TopTop #3
    Shepherd

I am sorry to hear about what has been happening to your friend. A friend of mine reported a similar thing with regards to Napa's Wagner wine family, which has the application in for the huge Dairyman Winery and Distillery on Highway 12. They would spray during the night. A family member had cancer, so they asked the Wagners not to spray. They continued doing so for a long time and finally agreed not to spray during those hours. But they kept spraying. The person with cancer died. These wine barons have little regard for anything other than money.

The really big wineries tend to ignore the rules. The Wagners reached a settlement for $1 million dollars for bottling 20 times their permitted amount in 2013. The PD reported that around 50% of Napa wineries violate their permits, and usually get away with it. We are experiencing the Napafication of Sonoma County.

I will be speaking about these issues at the Jenner Community Center on April 11, Sat., starting at 6:30. The presentation is free, open to the public, and refreshments will be served. The address is 10444 Highway 1, across the creek, behind the gas station. More information from Ken Sund at [email protected] or 707-481-4608.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by AllorrahBe: View Post
    My friend lives across the street from his property...

5. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

6. TopTop #4
    AllorrahBe

The only thing that will make an impression is to have their egos damaged... like time behind bars to think about the errors of their ways and the consequences of their actions on All That Is. May Sanity reign in our land!
    Rev. BE

...They would spray during the night. A family member had cancer, so they asked the Wagners not to spray. They continued doing so for a long time and finally agreed not to spray during those hours. But they kept spraying. The person with cancer died. These wine barons have little regard for anything other than money.

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #5
    Helen Shane

At the risk of sounding extreme and vindictive, money penalties mean nothing to people/corps like this. I think the CEO's ought to spend time behind bars. Couple of those would get the attention of the others.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by AllorrahBe: View Post
    The only thing that will make an impression is to have their egos damaged... like time behind bars to think about the errors of their ways and the consequences of their actions on All That Is. May Sanity reign in our land!
    Rev. BE

9. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

10. TopTop #6
    Imagery

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Helen Shane: View Post
    ... I think the CEO's ought to spend time behind bars. Couple of those would get the attention of the others.
    I doubt anyone would shed a tear if something far more violent and permanent happened to this eco-terrorist.
    Just saying...this waste of DNA should be stopped, and not by talking with him and making him make empty promises to behave himself. I'm sure a billion-dollar fine and seizure of all his assets would be a good start.
    Last edited by thedaughter; 04-08-2015 at 12:07 PM.

11. Gratitude expressed by:

12. TopTop #7
    Shepherd

Actually, I would "shed a tear if something far more violent" happened. Violence begets more violence. Personally, I am committed to non-violence to solve these matters. Count me out when it comes to considering violent options. I do believe in civil disobedience.

I consider Paul Hobbs to be an adversary and an opponent. I do not consider him to be an enemy. Historically, we have many international examples of opponents who have been won over by non-violent tactics and strategies. We need to appeal to their hearts and minds.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Imagery: View Post
    I doubt anyone would shed a tear if something far more violent...
    Last edited by thedaughter; 04-08-2015 at 12:08 PM.

13. Gratitude expressed by 8 members:

14. TopTop #8
    Imagery

I consider Paul Hobbs to be an adversary and an opponent. I do not consider him to be an enemy. Historically, we have many international examples of opponents who have been won over by non-violent tactics and strategies. We need to appeal to their hearts and minds.

You assume facts not in evidence. Him, a conscience? Surely you jest.
    You're more likely to have Benjamin Netanyahu and the President of Iran sit down and have dinner together after signing a peace agreement that both sides will ratify.

15. Gratitude expressed by:

16. TopTop #9
    Helen Shane

I agree with Shepherd. Violence begets violence. When California invokes the death penalty in criminal cases (which has not happened, recently, I am happy to say) I say "not in my name." When "we" kill, we are sinking to the same barbarism that the law breaker committed. What hypocrisy, in the name of justice. An eye for an eye, taken to the extreme, results in everyone being blinded. Where is the justice or satisfaction in that?
    Well, I bet this sets up another thread for Wacco. It's never too soon to have a conversation about the death penalty, IMO.

Cheers all. Helen Shane
    GO GIANTS AND WARRIORS!

...You're more likely to have Benjamin Netanyahu and the President of Iran sit down and have dinner together after signing a peace agreement that both sides will ratify.

17. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

18. TopTop #10
    Shepherd

I do not "jest." Having Netanyahu and the Iranian President sign a peace agreement is not only a good idea, but possible.

As to the "facts" that you refer to, here are some: It was Pres. Nixon who helped open relations with China. It was Gorbachev who helped improve U.S. relations with Russia. Nelson Mandela's racist jailer, who thought of him as an animal originally, came to see him as a friend. It was former Marine Daniel Ellsberg who released the Pentagon Papers and had much to do with ending the American War on Vietnam. Gandhi and King won over many of their detractors by their militant, non-violent tactics, as have other lesser know leaders.

History is full of defectors who end up doing the right things. Gen. George MacArthur, WW II hero, called war "obsolete." Various generals have come out against war. There is even a concept in gerontological literature called something like "retirement syndrome." When some leaders leave the "old boy network," they are guided by their "conscience," and often their wives, to help seek to remedy their previous actions that caused damage.

You assume facts not in evidence. Him, a conscience? Surely you jest...

19. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: