Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    earthywoman

Medi-Cal Dentist

Could anyone recommend a good dentist around here who takes Medi-Cal? Thanks so much! Gail :-)
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    AJL

Re: Medi-Cal Dentist

There's a few.
    The health center on ninth and stony point is great.
    So is UCSF in the city
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by earthywoman: View Post
    Could anyone recommend a good dentist around here who takes Medi-Cal? Thanks so much! Gail :-)

3. TopTop #3
    Dave

I recently spoke with a receptionist at a dental office that treats children with medi-cal, and I asked her to recommend a dentist in the area that serves adult medi-cal patients, and she said, "No, I would not recommend any of them."

There were news reports a few months ago, saying how very few California dentists take medi-cal, and if I recall correctly, it was because the amounts the state is willing to pay are far below what dentists normally get for their services. So my impression is that those who do accept it are probably desperate for patients.

Here, I just found the PD article:
    Sonoma County’s dental care for kids seen as lacking

Quote Posted in reply to the post by earthywoman: View Post
    Last edited by thedaughter; 03-22-2015 at 01:52 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #4
    sonofkirk

I go to the Russian River Dental Clinic on Third Street in Guerneville. They have sliding scale and take Medi-Cal (now under some awful corporate umbrella - Partnership Health Plan of California). So far, the dentist and support staff have been very competent and very nice.

Good luck!

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #5
    Stargazer

BEWARE of the only dentist in SR who takes Medi-Cal. He is a mean sadist dentist. One time a friend needed some dental work due to some gum issues. He pulled all of his teeth at once and yelled at him while he was numb in the chair from what I was told "I hate you" I hate you" and worse. This guy is crazy and I would not suggest taking the chance. He does lousy work and should actually be reported, but to who is the question? Not going to mention the name. Also a relative of mine who is disabled needed a cleaning. When he walked into the office with his caregiver this dentist was so nasty, they left. My warning to you. I could not imagine anyone going to see someone like this so I would guess that he takes Medi-Cal because he gets a thrill preying on poor people who have limited options. I would suggest going to UCSF or Pac. Med in SF. The SRJC does cleanings for a nominal fee. Only issue is, it takes two to three hours to have the work done by interns because everything they do is checked.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sonofkirk: View Post
    I go to the Russian River Dental Clinic on Third Street in Guerneville. They have sliding scale and take Medi-Cal (now under some awful corporate umbrella - Partnership Health Plan of California). So far, the dentist and support staff have been very competent and very nice.

Good luck!

8. TopTop #6

I recently went to West County Dental Clinic in Guerneville who take Medicare/medical and had excellent treatment. Highly recommend. Lilith
    Last edited by Barry; 03-23-2015 at 10:42 AM.

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #7
    sambacat
    Supporting member

Can anyone recommend a good MediCare dentist in Sebastopol?

11. Gratitude expressed by:

12. TopTop #8
    Dorothy Friberg

At present I am in the process of receiving dental work at University of Pacific Dental School in San Francisco, at 5th and Mission across the street from Yahoo and The Chronicle Building. The work they do is excellent. The biggest drawback is distance and for me, because I take Golden Gate Transit, takes the better part of the day whether I have a morning or afternoon appointment. Sometimes I can catch the commuter bus which bypasses all the Marin stops and saves about an hour travel time.

Medical is limiting the work they will pay for. Root canals and caps for front teeth only. Repair of caries are covered. Routine x-rays and cleaning are Medical covered. If you have pain, they will see a limited number (about 7) clients at 9 am and (7) at 1pm. and they may cancel one of these session for student exams, etc. Best to call ahead. The students work under close supervision and as a result there is an occasional wait while the instructor is called in. I am usually in the chair for about 2 hours unless it is a complicated procedure.

I cannot speak more highly of the work I get there, and I usually make an outing of it going for a meal in the mission before or after the appt. Last week I paid for a cap ($350 with special discounts) for my student's Board Final, and I met another woman there who came all the way from Fresno saying *I would not get my work done anywhere else". Happy teeth to you!
    Last edited by Barry; 03-24-2015 at 02:46 PM.

13. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

14. TopTop #9
    John Minye

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sambacat: View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good MediCare dentist in Sebastopol?
    Russian River Dental Clinic in Guerneville is a nice, clean, and friendly place. I know several of the dentists that work there. It is a very long drive to go to San Francisco, but University if the Pacific provides exceptional care if you are willing to make it an all day excursion. I did my dental training at this school and I know the quality of care that is provided there. I hope this helps.

15. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

16. TopTop #10
    AllorrahBe

I had some extractions and other work done at U. of the Pacific years ago, and they were the leaders in doing what they did for people with low incomes. I also had some horrendous TMJ problems which had been somewhat corrected by surgery, so it was a sensitive job and they did it well. However, it IS a very long haul into the City; I would sure check out Guerneville first. I pray you will find the perfect dentist to really help you with your health issues.
    Rev. BE

Quote Posted in reply to the post by John Minye: View Post
    Russian River Dental Clinic in Guerneville is a nice, clean, and friendly place. I know several of the dentists that work there. It is a very long drive to go to San Francisco, but University if the Pacific provides exceptional care if you are willing to make it an all day excursion. I did my dental training at this school and I know the quality of care that is provided there. I hope this helps.

17. TopTop #11
    creekfeet

Petaluma Health Center Dental Clinic -- Excellent. Unfortunately they are not taking new adult patients at this time BUT they are building a new and larger clinic in Rohnert Park and they say they will be taking more patients when that's ready. Also, they may be able to see you for an emergency, though not do full exam and cleaning.

Russian River Dental in Guerneville -- I went there years ago and they were wonderful. Sadly, too far from my new location, so I didn't even try them this time. I don't know if they're taking new patients.

Smilecare in Santa Rosa- Terrible. They are taking new patients but they will try to sell you up to more expensive treatments not covered by MediCal. Their attitude sucks, too. They'll make you feel like a beggar.

18. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: