Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Shandi

Excercise EXTREME CAUTION with "convenient" anti-biotics!

If you haven't already, have a look at Dr. Lisa Pierson's (www.CatInfo.org) new web page on the "risk and reward" calculus to consider if your vet is suggesting the use of an antibiotic called "Convenia." Convenia is an injectable long-acting antibiotic labeled for treating skin infections that is being misused and abused by the veterinary profession, according to Dr. Pierson. As she notes, there "have been too many reports of otherwise healthy cats dying or becoming very ill (seizures, anemia, diarrhea, etc.) within a few days to 1 week after receiving even just a single injection of Convenia."

Please give Dr. Pierson's page a close read before your next vet visit. Arm yourself with both the hard facts and informed veterinary opinions about the risks involved in using this powerful drug.

And note too, especially, the suggestion at the bottom of her essay the wisdom of asking that "NO CONVENIA" be written on your cat's chart in red to make sure that it is very visible to any veterinarian caring for your cat. She also suggests adding "NO METACAM" on the chart. Read her page for the details - it could save you and your cat from a lot of unnecessary misery.

You can bet the next time we head to the vet, I'll be sharing with my vet - both orally and in writing on the chart - my insistence that these drugs are not acceptable.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: