Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1

Nuisance Barking Update, SURVEY MOVED ONLINE

You're invited to submit your personal views regarding Nuisance Barking in Sonoma County.
    Name:  barkneighbors.jpg
Views: 1023
Size:  87.8 KB

You can remain anonymous and do not have to provide any personal information.
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FWJQ8P3

THE BEST TIME TO BE HEARD IS NOW.

THE RESULTS WILL BE PRESENTED AT A MEETING HAPPENING MID to LATE MARCH TO DISCUSS SPECIFIC TERMS OF THE NEW NUISANCE BARKING LAW BEING DRAFTED.

1. The application deadline is near in the long process of hiring of a new Animal Control Director. The final stages of enactment of the new Nuisance Barking Law is waiting for this hiring to involve the new director.

2. In the meantime, I'm beyond thrilled that my suggestions have been accepted to propose to the supervisors to enact a ticketing system and hire an enforcement officer to deal only with barking complaints.

3. Both the Public Health Director and I have been researching and comparing successful ticketing systems in other cities thanks also to a suggestion from another Wacco member. These efforts are making a difference.

I have been invited to have a private meeting with Public Health Director Ellen Bauer and the interim Animal Control Director Brian Whipple to discuss all the factors, research and what the terms of the new law should be.

The previous Survey I tried as a post here was very cumbersome and inefficient, plus I was contacted by proxy on behalf of non-wacco members interested in replying who didn't have access here.

Please use this updated questionaire instead which is available to anyone online. I have also submitted an open-mic article to the Bohemian and this survey link to them and other Sonoma County community newspapers.

NUISANCE BARKING SURVEY
    Name:  ignored.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  65.8 KB

Will keep you posted.
    THANK YOU.
    Last edited by Alex; 03-05-2015 at 10:09 AM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by:

3. TopTop #2
    Ice Queen

Re: Nuisance Barking Update, SURVEY MOVED ONLINE

OK, so all the people who want tiny houses all over the place or wherever they can squeeze one in. Those people need to consider the quality of life they are affecting in their "new" neighborhood. And it isn't just dogs barking, it is also cats hunting birds (my friend's cat caught a woodpecker this month) it is water use and multiple other impacts. Although I am pretty anti-new laws, they seem to be the only way adults acting as juveniles get the message.

4. TopTop #3

Name:  2015-03-04_1449.png
Views: 2163
Size:  22.9 KB

MEETING SET, please take survey if you haven't already.

Animal Control has set the meeting a couple weeks away for me to present the results of the survey and ticketing research as the next step towards formulating the new Nuisance Barking Law.

Thank you to all who have taken the survey, it is very revealing and powerful testimony. I encourage anyone else to please do so now either for relief and justice soon or for the peace of mind that protection is available in the future. Dog owners especially also encouraged to express what you consider is fair and neighborly tolerances.

You're very lucky if you have considerate neighbors now, but Animal Control is taking this action because of the prevalence of this form of virtual assault and animal abuse. Especially helpful in the survey are the stories of differing individual situations, as reiteration that the main issue is the common trait among offenders of the cold and dismissive attitude behind the intrusive behavior and animal mistreatment.

For example, please keep in mind that a person like the following with total indifference to your rights, peace and sleep could be your future neighbor. A Forestville poster child for this law, a well documented/videotaped, chronic offender in total denial who again last night did not care that her distressed, begging dog was into hour 3 of barking at 1am (among very close proximity homes, not acreage 'country') has recently stated this about you Sonoma County 'dog haters':

"...Too many yuppies moving to the country and then complaining about every little sound.... they better not call me if my dog barks at night. I'd rather get rid of whiny people who can't get along with others. Dog haters should live in gated communities and leave the normal population alone...".

Someone with this attitude could move next to you!!

Please take this survey if you have not already, and you're especially encouraged to use the last question to describe details of any current situation you would like remedied.

T
    hank you.

5. Gratitude expressed by:

6. TopTop #4

I am soooo grateful to know that there is finally hope for those of us who live next door to rude, inconsiderate and inhumane dog owners who allow their poor unattended, lonely and stressed out dogs to bark and howl throughout the day and night. And regarding the stupid, misinformed, finger pointing quote about the whiny, dog hating yuppies not calling her/him if their dog barks at night.......For your information, nuisance barking is NOT only a problem of those whiny yuppies moving the to country. This is an epidemic that affects people living in the city, suburbs and rural areas.

YOU are the problem. Your dog shouldn't be barking at night. People need to sleep to rest, relax, and get refreshed and not be awakened by yours or someone else's barking dog. What part of the need to sleep don't you understand? Why are you so RUDE and INCONSIDERATE? Why do you allow your dogs to wake people up and disturb their sleep? If you think YOUR attitude is normal, no wonder the world is such a mess right now.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Alex: View Post
    Name:  2015-03-04_1449.png
Views: 2163
Size:  22.9 KB

MEETING SET, please take survey if you haven't already.

Animal Control has set the meeting a couple weeks away for me to present the results of the survey and ticketing research as the next step towards formulating the new Nuisance Barking Law.

Thank you to all who have taken the survey, it is very revealing and powerful testimony. I encourage anyone else to please do so now either for relief and justice soon or for the peace of mind that protection is available in the future. Dog owners especially also encouraged to express what you consider is fair and neighborly tolerances.

7. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

8. TopTop #5
    AllorrahBe

I live on a campus with about 199 other people and many service dogs. I have never heard one of them bark. They are trained to assist their owners and provide wonderful service and comfort to many who have difficulties or one sort or another. Dogs bark to announce something... someone's here, something's wrong, I need help, whatever... if the owner will not respond and pay attention, the poor animal is BEING ABUSED and if the owner will not change his/her ways, the animal should be taken by authorities and fostered by someone who can train the dog properly. Then the dog has a chance of being placed in a home where it will be loved and properly cared for. The Sonoma Humane Society could probably help with this fostering and training.

If the abusive owner wants the dog back, he/she should be required by law to attend some kind of remedial training class to learn how to BE a dog-owner. Upon completion and signing an oath to care for, protect, and provide proper conditions for the animal's welfare, the owner should be allowed to retrieve the animal in a supervised setting where it is obvious the animal wants to go with the owner. Otherwise, the animal should be adopted by someone who will love it and care for it.

These ideas may not be the absolute best ones, but at least they go a ways toward a long-term solution to the problem!
    Rev. BE

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Berta: View Post
    I am soooo grateful to know that there is finally hope for those of us who live next door to rude, inconsiderate and inhumane dog owners...
    Last edited by thedaughter; 03-22-2015 at 01:51 PM.

9. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

10. TopTop #6

Quote Posted in reply to the post by AllorrahBe: View Post
    I live on a campus with about 199 other people and many service dogs. I have never heard one of them bark...
    Thank you, I will show this to Animal Control in April. Your explanation is exactly why I am being so militant about this.

It IS like hearing please! please! please! please! please! screamed into your home and you are forced to listen to this animal abuse for hours without being able to do anything about it. Conversely, heartful owners can't wait to respond to their animal's distress because they feel it and care.

But you're stating the obvious and using logic, reason and heart. I suspect the law is really only going to be necessary for and aimed at the people who are the problem for being entitled, arrogant, in denial and indifferent to both their neighbors and animals and frankly, unable to be mandated to find their heart by law.

In that case, money may be the only motivator, and yes, I hope removal as a last resort after some form of 'heart class', but at least the animals will be benefitting too.

Nuisance Barking Survey
    MEETING SET for early April. Please take the survey if you have not already.
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Alex; 03-23-2015 at 06:04 PM.

11. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

12. TopTop #7

As a former dog owner and a current neighbor impacted by my neighbor's barking dog, It is really difficult for me to comprehend how inconsiderate and uncaring some dog owners are. Dogs bark for a reason and If the owners are not meeting their dogs needs, as far as I'm concerned, their right to have that dog should be revoked. I believe that the criteria for dog ownership must be comprehensive and consider the many needs that dogs have - food, real protection from the weather, regular exercise and a safe and caring environment to live and thrive. Dogs are pack animals and do not do well when ignored and abandoned. No wonder they bark.

I would like to address the impact of unhappy and nuisance barking dogs on innocent neighbors who have no control over the poor suffering animal. Now, as soon as my neighbor's door begins to bark, my body reacts. My agitation level rises, my body tenses, my focus and concentration diminishes and my equilibrium is affected. It's like this dark, heavy force has invaded my physical, emotional mental and even spiritual space and I'm rendered into this other being. I feel resentful, angry, powerless and truly my day is ruined - even when I leave my home, I carry this baggage with me. The discomfort lingers long after I'm off doing something else away from home.

Do I wish I could better with this? Do I wish I could blow off the barking - not let it affect me? You bet.......but I can't. I've tried headphones, listening to music, earplugs and the sound of the barking permeates it all.

I am very grateful for this discussion and all the work you are doing, Alex . I have been frustrated with Sonoma County's policies and procedures and ability to curtail and effectively manage the neglected dog population and the nuisance barking that pervades our community. This is clearly not a problem about dogs......it is a problem about dog owners who don't take responsibility for their animals and mistreat their neighbors by not taking care of their dogs' needs. It's time Sonoma County stepped up to the plate and created policies and procedures that protect these animals and the innocent neighbors who have suffered for too long.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Alex: View Post
    Thank you, I will show this to Animal Control in April. Your explanation is exactly why I am being so militant about this...
    Last edited by thedaughter; 03-24-2015 at 12:54 PM.

13. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

14. TopTop #8
    AllorrahBe

I couldn't agree more with the views expressed in these messages. If all the dogs on our big campus can keep their mouths shut, so can their neighbors and your neighbors.
    Praying for Peace,
    Rev. BE

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Berta: View Post
    As a former dog owner and a current neighbor impacted by my neighbor's barking dog,....

15. Gratitude expressed by: