Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Barrie
    Supporting member

Looking for a wholistic vet.

I'm looking for a wholistic vet to treat my cat who has diahrea and bladder problems that haven't responded well to conventional veterinary medicine.

Barrie
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. TopTop #2
    Shandi

Re: Looking for a wholistic vet.

from www.CatInfo.org

Feline Urinary Tract Health:
    Cystitis, Urethral Obstruction, Urinary Tract Infection

Lisa A. Pierson, DVM

Many cats suffer each day because of the water-depleted diets (read: any dry kibble) that humans insist on feeding to them. Out of all of the subjects discussed on my website, urinary tract health - especially urethral obstructions - is the subject that I am most passionate about.
    If the reader had to witness the tremendous suffering that a cat must endure when his (or, rarely, her) urethra becomes obstructed they would understand why this subject is so important. (See Opie's pictures below.)
    To be quite frank, if humans - including many of my veterinary colleagues - had a cork inserted into their urethra until they experienced the excruciating pain secondary to bladder distension and rupture, I have no doubt that they would start to take this issue much more seriously and STOP condoning the feeding of dry food to cats.

And while urethral obstructions cause tremendous pain and suffering and can result in death if the bladder ruptures, cystitis (bladder inflammation) is also extremely painful. Many of these cats, understandably, develop litter box aversions secondary to associating the litter box with their pain. This results in house soiling.

If I could have the reader of my website leave with one word firmly imprinted in their mind it would be "water". If your cat is on a properly hydrated diet of 100% canned food - and no dry food - you stand a very good chance of never needing to read this webpage.
    Note that I said "water" - not "crystals" or "urine pH" - or any of the expensive, low-quality, "prescription diets" often recommended by veterinarians.
    Always keep in mind that water flowing through the urinary tract system is the most important factor in keeping it healthy. That said, please do not make the mistake that so many people make when they state "but my cat drinks plenty of water!"
    A cat's normal prey is ~70% water. Canned food is ~78% water. Dry food is ~5-10% water. Cats have a low thirst drive and they do not make up the deficit at the water bowl. They are designed to get water with their food.
    Total water intake - dry vs canned
    Cats on canned food have been shown to consume at least double the amount of total water when compared to dry food-fed cats when all sources of water (food and water bowl) are considered.
    This results in approximately double the amount of urine flowing through the bladder.
    Think of canned food as not only a proper diet for an obligate carnivore, in general (see Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition), but also understand that it is the healthiest way to keep your cat's bladder flushed out and 'happy.'
    When choosing a diet for their cat, I find that many people are fixated only on carbohydrates and fail to miss the very critical point that all dry foods - including the low carbohydrate options - are water-depleted.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I receive hundreds of emails every year from people asking me what diet to feed their cat after urinary tract problems have been noted.
    (Please read my comment below stating that no advice will be provided via email.)
    Unfortunately, many of these people and their veterinarians have missed the point of water...water...water and have continued to put the cat in danger by feeding/prescribing a dry food diet - including any and all of the prescription dry diets.
    It is highly counter-intuitive to label any water-depleted (read: DRY) food as a "urinary tract diet."
    Generally speaking, the basic diet recommendation for the average cat with urinary tract issues is a high protein/low carbohydrate canned food with added water.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Barrie: View Post
    I'm looking for a wholistic vet to treat my cat who has diahrea and bladder problems that haven't responded well to conventional veterinary medicine.

Barrie
    Last edited by Barry; 03-04-2015 at 03:03 PM.

3. TopTop #3
    Barrie
    Supporting member

I found a vet that I am happy with several weeks ago so now Scout is over her health problems. The vet is Dr. Alexander at Analy Vet. She recommended some supplements and gave Scout on going subcutaneous fluids that did the trick. Thank you Dr. Alexander. I find Analy Vet to be very good!

I'm looking for a wholistic vet to treat my cat who has diahrea and bladder problems...

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #4
    Shandi

Barrie, I'm glad to know that your kitty is well. I know how relieved you must be. Can you share what supplements were recommended? Thanks so much!

I found a vet that I am happy with several weeks ago so now Scout is over her health problems. The vet is Dr. Alexander at Analy Vet. She recommended some supplements and gave Scout on going subcutaneous fluids that did the trick. Thank you Dr. Alexander. I find Analy Vet to be very good!

6. TopTop #5
    bonniegrand

Dr. Patricia Alexander is my favorite vet for all my felines. Knowledgeable, sensitive and kind, she's the Cat's P.J.'s, and canines too!

I'm looking for a wholistic vet to treat my cat who has diahrea and bladder problems...
    Last edited by thedaughter; 04-13-2015 at 01:41 PM.

Tags (user supplied keywords) for this Thread