Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    CSummer

Anyone with a Geiger counter who can test rain water and report findings?

There have been reports of high levels of radioactivity due to rainfall in So. California and other areas.
    It would be very helpful if someone with a Geiger counter could test for increased radiation levels locally.
    Then we would know how important it is to avoid rain exposure, cover edible plants, take radiation-
    protective supplements, etc.
    (If donations for this service seem appropriate, please let us know!) Thanks - CSummer
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

3. TopTop #2
    ChefJayTay

Re: Anyone with a Geiger counter who can test rain water and report findings?

What type of radiation?
    Is there a base level said person should be comparing their readings to?
    What reports of high radioactivity in southern California? what other areas?
    How does covering plants protect them from the radiation?

The above post reeks of uneducated radiation hysteria.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Karl Frederick

I don't find any helpful information in this response.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ChefJayTay: View Post
    What type of radiation?

Last edited by Barry; 02-09-2015 at 12:44 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #4
    ChefJayTay

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Karl Frederick: View Post
    I don't find any helpful information in this response.
    Helpful? How about pointing out the thread is baselessly spreading worries about radiation in rainwater (during our first rain in a month)? That's not helpful? What's so helpful about your post?
    Last edited by Barry; 02-09-2015 at 12:40 PM.

8. TopTop #5

is that a "yes", or a "no"?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by ChefJayTay: View Post
    What type of radiation?

9. TopTop #6
    ChefJayTay

Quote Posted in reply to the post by kltkwmn~707: View Post
    is that a "yes", or a "no"?
    That is a... asking for geiger counter readings without a baseline of past rainwater readings (from the same instrument) is pointless.

That is a... maybe check to see if there is crowd sourced publicly available radiation data (there is... for water and air).

10. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

11. TopTop #7
    arthunter

This isn't "radiation hysteria", it's common sense ... I have a friend who's a marine biologist in another country warning me to keep a close eye on radiation on the West Coast ... in case you haven't noticed, Fukushima is not getting better or going away ... perhaps you can contact this man?

https://www.aljazeera.com/humanright...450378232.html

12. Gratitude expressed by:

13. TopTop #8
    ChefJayTay

Quote Posted in reply to the post by arthunter: View Post
    This isn't "radiation hysteria", it's common sense ... I have a friend who's a marine biologist in another country warning me to keep a close eye on radiation on the West Coast ... in case you haven't noticed, Fukushima is not getting better or going away ... perhaps you can contact this man?

https://www.aljazeera.com/humanright...450378232.html
    No... it's not common sense. It's you continuing the hysteria. Based off the word of a MARINE BIOLOGIST (really?). He's a scientist, he must be a radiation expert.

At this point, with the Fukushima Disaster FOUR years ago. There is no giant wave of radioactivity that is on it's way to hit us that isn't already here.

Your article is a year old, and provides no info on what radiation has hit our coasts. Furthermore, you didn't even check to see that the public reporting network talked about in the article ALREADY EXISTS....in fact, I've been indirectly referencing it when talking about water testing. It shows only very minor indications of any radiation from Japan, in fact, most of it is from nuclear testing in the past.

14. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

15. TopTop #9
    arthunter

Actually, I haven't taken anyone's word for the radiation levels on the West coast, I've looked at published data myself ... I have published several ways to look at this data on this forum in the past ... I have seen enough to feel that monitoring the situation is not hysteria but common sense ... of course, if you'd rather ignore published data then feel free to do so ...

https://www.enviroreporter.com/2014/12/sky-high-radiation-readings-across-the-u-s/

https://www.enviroreporter.com/2015/01/high-radiation-detected-in-l-a-rain/
    Last edited by Barry; 02-10-2015 at 02:28 PM.

16. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

17. TopTop #10
    arthunter

Here are some monitoring sites ...

https://fukushimafacts.com/Default.aspx?PID=48

18. Gratitude expressed by:

19. TopTop #11
    Dogenzip

Anyone interested in the impacts of Fukushima should go to the Enenews.com site an excellent aggregator of information: scholarly articles, news reports, official IAEC reports etc. all carefully sourced.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by CSummer: View Post
    There have been reports of high levels of radioactivity due to rainfall in So. California and other areas.
    It would be very helpful if someone with a Geiger counter could test for increased radiation levels locally.
    Then we would know how important it is to avoid rain exposure, cover edible plants, take radiation-
    protective supplements, etc.
    (If donations for this service seem appropriate, please let us know!) Thanks - CSummer

20. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

21. TopTop #12
    arthunter

thank you artur, ... that site is a wake up call ... folks, I suggest that you have a look ...

Quote Posted in reply to the post by artur: View Post
    Anyone interested in the impacts of Fukushima should go to the Enenews.com site an excellent aggregator of information: scholarly articles, news reports, official IAEC reports etc. all carefully sourced.

22. Gratitude expressed by:

23. TopTop #13
    ChefJayTay

At no point did I state that monitoring radiation is hysteria. Don't let your emotional reaction to my post cloud the reality of my statements.

There is a big difference between controlled public/crowd-sourced studies, and someone randomly asking for geiger counter readings so they can "cover their plants".

Quote Posted in reply to the post by arthunter: View Post
    Actually, I haven't taken anyone's word for the radiation levels on the West coast, I've looked at published data myself ... I have published several ways to look at this data on this forum in the past ... I have seen enough to feel that monitoring the situation is not hysteria but common sense ... of course, if you'd rather ignore published data then feel free to do so ...

https://www.enviroreporter.com/2014/12/sky-high-radiation-readings-across-the-u-s/

https://www.enviroreporter.com/2015/01/high-radiation-detected-in-l-a-rain/

24. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

25. TopTop #14
    podfish

some of the helpful links were to sites that pointed out the baby seal die-off over the last three years, attributing that to radiation. There's a more prosaic explanation being proposed:

Quote About 940 sick and starving young sea lions have washed up on California beaches so far this year and were taken into the eight rehabilitation centers between San Diego and San Francisco. That’s four times the number of strandings that occur on average in the first four months of a normal year, marine biologists said.
    ... “We are way above average,” said Justin Viezbicke,

The problem is that the ocean is 2 to 5 degrees warmer than the average for this time of year, a trend that has persisted throughout much of 2014, according to Nate Mantua, a NOAA climatologist.
    https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...ps-6088407.php

26. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

27. TopTop #15
    Goldilocks

This is a model of the distribution of water soluble Cesium 137 over 10 years. Notice how the West Coast becomes more radioactive than Japan, due to ocean and air currents. I bought an Inspector radiation detector and when I got a reading of 92 Counts per Minute, in Sebastopol, after a rain (100 CPM is considered hazardous waste), I sold my home and moved to Uruguay. Ocean and air currents go away from the equator and don't mix much. Surface ocean currents take 500 years to cycle. The air in Uruguay circulates around Antarctica.

Trillions of radioactive atoms from Fukushima are in the ocean and air, floating around killing life. One atom of Plutonium kills everything in an olympic size pool area. (Reactor 3 was plutonium enriched, MOX fuel.) These atoms vibrate so fast, they are like bits of the sun, ingest or breathe them in and damage will occur. The only solution is dilution. Use a hepa air filter, drink distilled or reverse osmosis water, grow your food indoors, take iodine, for a short term solution. Radiation does add heat to the ocean, but the death of Seals, Sea Lions, and Whale babies, Herring, Sardines and Starfish is from radiation killing their food.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-03-2015 at 10:54 AM.

28. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

29. TopTop #16
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Goldilocks: View Post
    ... One atom of Plutonium kills everything in an olympic size pool area. ....These atoms vibrate so fast, they are like bits of the sun, ..... Radiation does add heat to the ocean, but the death of Seals, Sea Lions, and Whale babies, Herring, Sardines and Starfish is from radiation killing their food.
    that's some interesting science... 'course, I thought the sun was mostly hydrogen and helium.

and geomar, the source of the video, doesn't seem to share your alarm. Their website doesn't make any mention of an urgent radiation hazard; in fact, it's hard to find mention of anything related to it. The video you referenced dates back to 2012 - they haven't bothered to follow it up. The article also has this quote:
    " the simulation suggests a rapid dilution of peak radioactivity values to about 10 Bq/m³ during the first 2 years, followed by a gradual decline to 1–2 Bq/m³ over the next 4–7 years. The total peak radioactivity levels would then be about twice the pre-Fukushima values. “While this may sound alarming, these levels are still lower than those permitted for drinking water,” said Böning. "

30. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

31. TopTop #17
    ChefJayTay

More hysteria.

Read more about geiger counters before trying to sound like you know something. Count rates don't equate to dosage rates. Were you taking reading during a Solar flare? Do you have a series of readings? Or did you just turn the thing on and freak out cause it beeped?

Where is the 100 CPM reference (I'll go ahead and point that out as malarkey). Counts don't translate to absorption. There is no way to come up with that figure accurately (edit: it would be specific to the counter model at best). I'm guessing you spent $500 on a tool you have no idea how to use.

Growing your plants inside is supposed to stop what? Are you going to suggest bottled water (from where?) next?

Taking iodine is a VERY BAD idea. Do you know the radiation you're absorbing is iodine? You take iodine only to prevent iodine absorption, and at the risk of health issues.

https://youtu.be/3l8TT1dv-PM This is a model of the distribution of water soluble Cesium 137 over 10 years. ...

32. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

33. TopTop #18
    Goldilocks

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    that's some interesting science... 'course, I thought the sun was mostly hydrogen and helium and geomar, the source of the video, doesn't seem to share your alarm....
    Here is a link to what radiation does to DNA: https://enenews.com/govt-document-ra...sions-going-ce
    I said vibrate like the sun, not composed of the same material! I did many readings, including timed readings of local plants, food, water and rain. The rain water was almost 3X above average background. I did readings on a flight from Uruguay to SFO and the closer I got to the West Coast, the higher the readings were, the N. Hemisphere was 2-3X higher. The background in UY averages 11- 16 CPM, 92 CPM is way too high!
    Last edited by thedaughter; 03-07-2015 at 11:08 AM.

34. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

35. TopTop #19
    Butterfly

Goldilocks, have you contacted anyone from: [email protected] (?)

Their northern California chapter of FukushimaResponse.org is mobilizing for a March 11 (Wednesday) rally and protest; an action planned @ PG&E in S.F. to shut down the Diablo Canyon Power Plant. See link below:

Goldilocks, have you forwarded your research to FukushimaResponse.org ? Have you received a response? If so, please share that response here.

https://fukushimaresponse.bmetrack.com/c/v?e=6E6563&c=58BA2&l=14630054&email=UTajqZFVcOP0eraHemEA93zBjzlZ2TJR&relid=C6EC167

Goldilocks, I am concerned that you are "solo" in your efforts. True? I am noticing few responses here on this thread. What else do you suggest to do with your findings of 92 on your meter approaching SFO on a flight from Uruguay? Your story is persuasive: you see life-threatening readings on your meter. You've sold your home here; you've moved to Uruguay. Might you form a Fukushima Response chapter in Uruguay? It's quite a progressive country: they have refused IMF debt repayment, and more... Thanks...

Here is a link to what radiation does to DNA: https://enenews.com/govt-document-ra...sions-going-ce
    I said vibrate like the sun, not composed of the same material! I did many readings, including timed readings of local plants, food, water and rain. The rain water was almost 3X above average background. I did readings on a flight from Uruguay to SFO and the closer I got to the West Coast, the higher the readings were, the N. Hemisphere was 2-3X higher. The background in UY averages 11- 16 CPM, 92 CPM is way too high!
    Last edited by Barry; 03-08-2015 at 01:09 PM.

36. TopTop #20
    podfish

for a contrarian view that Fukushima is actually not about to disrupt life as the Japanese know it, much less us:

from Wired (yeah, I know, not a scientific journal.)
    Quote Sae Ochi should know better, and she knows she should know better. As the director of internal medicine at Soma Central Hospital, just 30 miles from the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear power plant that melted down after a tsunami in 2011, part of her job is to monitor local radiation exposure levels. She has screened thousands of people, and only a few showed levels high enough for her most sensitive instruments to detect. She eats locally grown food sold at the supermarket and even the occasional wild berry, which probably does contain a bit of radiation. “When I go hiking, I will eat a berry or two, because it’s only a tiny amount and it looks so delicious,” Ochi says. But then she adds a caveat: “That’s because I have no children.” If Ochi were a parent, she says, she wouldn’t do it—even though she knows local radiation levels are negligible. “All mothers,” she says, “try to take zero risks.”
    Researchers have accumulated and analyzed reams of data about food from Fukushima and the Pacific Ocean. A protective system stopped even potentially contaminated food from getting to the public. Extensive decontamination, monitoring, and regulations have made food from around Fukushima perfectly safe. Yet fear persists.
    https://www.wired.com/2015/03/food-f...-fear-remains/

37. Gratitude expressed by: