Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #31
    Shepherd

Re: Sebastopol City Council unanimously opposes Dairyman Winery Proposal

Following are links to three recent articles in Napa County papers about Napa County residents protesting winery expansions as event centers They refer to a critic Geoff Ellsworth, who works within the wine industry, and others. Some of us from Sonoma County will be driving there for a March 10 Board of Supervisors, where this issue is on their agenda, as it eventually will be on the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors agenda. If you might want to join us, please let me know.
    Shepherd

Citizens protest winery expansion

Zoning procedures, EIRs protect us : St. Helena Star

Problems with Napa's current winery model
    Last edited by Barry; 02-23-2015 at 02:33 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #32
    Serendipity

This doesn't relate directly but it is relevant to the big picture:
    https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/l...ts-sector-gets

When I read about the economic development efforts and event centers, what I see is a plan for this area to increase in value, meaning it's only going to become more difficult for young people to buy here. The rich are doing their darnest to take their claim and a big claim at that. Uggg, money, big money... watch out if you don't have status.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #33
    luke32

Yeah, and it all started when they paved the roads. Its been downhill ever since.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Serendipity: View Post
    ...The rich are doing their darndest to take their claim and a big claim at that. Uggg, money, big money... watch out if you don't have status.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-24-2015 at 12:48 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

7. TopTop #34
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by luke32: View Post
    Yeah, and it all started when they paved the roads. Its been downhill ever since.
    true, but maybe it'll get better. IIRC* there's a recurring claim that the county will let all but a few roads return to gravel because of budgetary problems. Can't wait...

* If I Recall Correctly
    Last edited by Barry; 02-24-2015 at 12:57 PM.

8. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

9. TopTop #35
    Shepherd

Correction: the last email is confusing and the link at the bottom is incorrect. Following is a correction:

I did a google search, and discovered the following links that document that the Wagner family of Dairyman Vineyard paid a $1 million settlement. These sources are from the the Wine Spectator, NY Times, and Napa Valley Register--credible sources. What he intends to do in Sonoma County is indeed a national story. The Wagners want to shift their questionable business practices from Napa, where they were caught by the County, to Sonoma. Is this what we want?

1. Caymus Vineyards Pays $1 Million for Alleged Violations of Napa ‎
Aug 2, 2013 ... Excessive production was the main allegation in Napa County's lawsuit, which also asserted that the family-owned winery expanded its ..
    2. WINE TALK - A Tangle of Vines and Lawsuits - NYTimes.com ... Mr. Wagner is the president and winemaker at Caymus Vineyards in the NapaValley in California. Someone sold him a bunch of roussanne ...
    3. St. Helena winery owner settles dispute with county ‎
May 15, 2014 ... A St. Helena-area winery owner has ended a multi-year fight with Napa ... system in settling a lawsuit the county filed last year against William Cole. ... year, and extracting a $1 million settlement from Caymus Vineyards over ...

Following is some research about Dairyman. Perhaps it is because I teach ethics that I am astounded that this application has gotten as far as it has. I do appreciate the various local, national, and international publications that are publishing articles and letters to editors on this "Trouble in Wine Country."

"I thought you might want to see it as well. I looked into the Caymus violation by the Wagners.

I found a 2013 articles that explains the violation and why (greed and sense of being above the law and owning the natural recourses?) the Wagners made the violation:

Here is what the winery tycoon family is up to in fairfield, and how the project is linked to their lawsuit. If all they got was a one million dollar fine for a business move that saved them a few million dollars, what's to stop them from making a similar violation in Sonoma County with our water? Note how the North Bay Business Journal reporter almost downplays the significance of the violation:

The approval of the project near Fairfield on Aug. 1, following a use-permit application in mid-May, came at a good time. In late July, the Wagner family reached a $1 million legal settlement with the county of Napa exceeding the permitted production capacity of at Caymus’ Rutherford winery.

“We settled with the county on the period of time to be fully compliant, and part of that is reducing the footprint,” Mr. Wagner said.

Wagner Family of Wine has five years to downsize the Caymus winery under the settlement. After a 2008 county audit of its use permit, the company was accused of exceeding its annual production limit by 1.9 million gallons.

The problem came from trucking wine in bulk from the family’s Monterey winery to Rutherford to save money on having a second bottling line, which can cost up to a few million dollars for high-speed equipment, and that was not thought to be counted as local production under Napa County’s Winery Definition Ordinance of 1990, according to Mr. Wagner. Indeed, it was.

So, the Wagner family purchased 260 acres of legume and wheat land near Fairfield. When the Solano winery opens, most of the white wines from the Monterey facility will be shipped there, as well as certain coastal cabernet sauvignon and pinot noir grapes to be crushed.

Solano grapes aren’t yet up to par for the Caymus brand, but they may suit the Conundrum red blend, currently under a California appellation, according to Mr. Wagner.

“We’re going to investigate fine-wine production in Solano this year by purchasing grapes,” he said.

That would likely be less than 100 tons, chosen from vineyards in the colder and warmer reaches of the county, Mr. Wagner added.

This spring, the plan calls for planting 10 to 50 acres of vines for zinfandel or red Rhone varieties such as petite sirah. Planting is anticipated to proceed slowly because of the $20,000- to $40,000-an-acre cost of developing modern vineyards, Mr. Wagner noted.

The first phase of the Solano project is set to include a 132,000-square-foot winery, barrel cellar and casegoods warehouse plus a 25,000-square-foot canopy for processing grapes and 32,000-square-foot mechanical systems building.

About 150 stainless-steel fermentation and storage wine tanks would have capacity for 6 million gallons, according to the use permit approved by the Solano County Planning Commission on Aug. 1.

The application, with initial designs by Summit Engineering, was filed in mid-May. An architect and general contractor for the project are being selected. Project cost wasn’t disclosed.

The use permit allows for crushing up to 32,000 tons a year. The plan is to start with 6,000 tons and increase to the 20,000-ton, 3 million-gallon capacity of the first phase.

The second phase, tentatively planned for the next two to three years, calls for a 120,000-square-foot addition to the winery and 75 more tanks, allowing annual production to increase to 32,000 tons of grapes and 5 million gallons of wine. Also part of the phase would be production of a half-million gallons of distilled spirits.

The final phase, envisioned for 2016–2018, would add a 26,500-square-foot retail and hospitality center with a deli and offices, a 10,500-square-foot adjoining courtyard, new driveway for the center and a spur from the Union Pacific rail line to receive materials and ship finished wine.

The use permit allows for up to 100 people attending winemaker or club dinners as often as twice weekly, peak visitor traffic of 250 a day to a tasting and retail center and up to 500 people at special events six times a year.

“It’s going to significantly increase the wine economy of Solano County,” said Roger King, president of the Suisun Valley Vintners & Growers Association."
    Last edited by thedaughter; 02-26-2015 at 02:09 PM.

10. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

11. TopTop #36
    norcalredtail

Here is the link to the 2013 article that Shepherd was referencing:

Caymus owner approved for large Solano winery
    Last edited by thedaughter; 02-26-2015 at 02:14 PM.

12. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

13. TopTop #37
    Imagery

Quote Posted in reply to the post by spam1: View Post
    ... Thus, I conclude that other projects really don't in practice exist, and this land will stay a failed dairy for another decade or two.
    And the issue with this solution is...? Are you one who chants "jobs, jobs, jobs" while trying to distract the community from looking at the resources you intend to rape from them in the name of greed?

14. TopTop #38
    AllorrahBe

So, Dairyman paid $1Million and wine tycoon Hobbs just paid $1Million for egregious assaults to sensitivities... why don't we do as Nancy Reagan instructed: Just Say No! to more wineries or manufacturing facilities for processing their products... at least give us a moratorium so "cooler heads may prevail." So that's my
    Rev. BE

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    Correction: the last email is confusing and the link at the bottom is incorrect. Following is a correction:

I did a google search, and discovered the following links that document that the Wagner family of Dairyman Vineyard paid a $1 million settlement. ...

15. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

16. TopTop #39
    Timothy Gega

Quote Posted in reply to the post by AllorrahBe: View Post
    So, Dairyman paid $1Million and wine tycoon Hobbs just paid $1Million for egregious assaults to sensitivities... why don't we do as Nancy Reagan instructed: Just Say No! to more wineries or manufacturing facilities for processing their products... at least give us a moratorium so "cooler heads may prevail." So that's my
    Rev. BE
    A Story from my past.
    What one perceives is based on knowledge, experience and wisdom.

When I was about 10 yrs. old, my dad said he was taking us to church (somewhere new). I recall sitting in the back seat of the car driving down a country road, (like Hwy. 116) staring out at the grass ditch and country settings. We ended up in Guerneville where his girlfriend had a picnic waiting for us there. I recall the red ants that were attacking us as I watched them with rapt interest. We swam in cutoffs and had a blast.

When I turned 16 I returned to “The River” but found Monte Rio as my fav spot. When my son was born in 1990, I would drive down Hwy 1 from Fort Bragg to Monte Rio so he could have this same experience:

Mark Twain has always been my favorite author. His writing had set in me an ideal for drifting lazily down the river, drifting with no agenda whatsoever, with a long blade of grass in mouth, cutoff blue jeans on an inflated old car tire inner tube. Nothing fancy, no agenda, just drifting freely and letting the imagination roam care-free.

When I moved to Rincon Valley, (Valley of the Moon), my son was a teenager. We bought an unsinkable kayak. When he came for visits on the weekends, we would load the kayak on the truck and “Slingshot” up Freeway 12, (doing the posted speed limits of course) until we came to the signal at Fulton Rd. where the freeway changed to a two lane highway. (This intersection) is what I referred to as the Gateway to the River and the Pacific Ocean. Today, we see this area as a Watershed for the Laguna de Santa Rosa. This is our Legacy of Sonoma County.

Once inside Sebastopol proper one can either go left to Bodega Bay, or right to the River and Jenner. 99% of the time we went to Monte Rio. We came up with a game with our unsinkable kayak. We would invite all the kids in the water to board the kayak and try to sink her. They poured water inside to fill it, then when it was completely filled, I said, “pull those black plugs.” When the kids pulled the plugs, the water escaped and the kayak floated back up and they would start all over again to try to sink it. These are the memories I wanted for my son. We made many more like this, just relaxing on the beach there watching the water slowly drift past, doing nothing at all.

These memories are what I wish to preserve. This is the Legacy of this area of Sonoma County.
    In today’s fast paced life, I deal with a lot of drama. My best prescription is to “Do Nothing,” slow down and stop the world from its 24-7-365 barage of marketing “things”that have no beneficial affect on our lives as sentient human beings.

I believe this Dairyman Project would ruin this Watershed and forever change the way one enters the “Gate” to the Russian River way of life and the breathtaking Pacific Ocean at Goat Rock in Jenner. This Project will set a precedent,(whether it gets approved or denied) that will mark Sonoma County’s destiny. (IF) we can preserve this area, (between Fulton Rd. to Morris) in Sebastopol, then we will have one sacred playground that would/could be the envy of the world.

Therefore, I would like to propose that we place this corridor into a sacred trust and place a new sign at this “Gate” that reads:
    Slow Down in Sebastopol.
    The Laguna de Santa Rosa Watershed Memorial Highway.

Tim Gega

17. TopTop #40
    AllorrahBe

Aaahh! You KNOW how I love creative ideas!! Not sure about "losing" Luther Burbank Memorial Highway, but I'm sure someone with creative ideas can come up with a way to make it clear this is a gateway through which Luther used to ride his bike from Santa Rosa to his Farm here adjacent to the cemetery. But I like the Laguna name so much I would love to see a sizeable, colorful, tasteful, artsy sign or maybe more, one between Fulton and Llano and another one coming into town. I do feel the Laguna is apt to get more attention than Luther, so perhaps changing the name of the highway to be more relevant today makes sense. What do other people think?
    Rev. BE
    Quote Posted in reply to the post by Timothy Gega: View Post
    A Story from my past.
    What one perceives is based on knowledge, experience and wisdom.

When I was about 10 yrs. old...
    Last edited by thedaughter; 03-05-2015 at 02:42 PM.

18. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

19. TopTop #41
    Timothy Gega

Quote Posted in reply to the post by AllorrahBe: View Post
    Aaahh! You KNOW how I love creative ideas!! ...
    AllorrahBe, I think it (a sign) needs a kind of "punch-up" to make it abundantly clear that this area IS our Legacy and this is what we have to share with the world, Tourist and local-yokal river rats like me. I just wanted to illuminate my "Gateway to the Pacific Ocean." (Something) should be done there, if only for Luther Burbank.
    Last edited by thedaughter; 03-05-2015 at 01:36 PM.

20. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

21. TopTop #42
    Timothy Gega

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Timothy Gega: View Post
    A Story from my past.
    (I meant to include in my story above):

My family had recently moved from Hawaii to CA. on Memorial Day, 1960.
    The year I first experienced the River, (I believe) was 1963. We lived in the concrete jungle called San Francisco (at the time). I had never seen a Redwood tree or the big blue expanse of open sky before.

In 1981 I returned to the islands for the first time. What progress they had made since 1960.
    My Uncle had told us that there was a new “Official State Bird” of the islands now. It was the “construction crane.”

Just say NO! to any major event centers at this eco-sensitive location.
    Last edited by thedaughter; 03-05-2015 at 01:37 PM.

22. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

23. TopTop #43
    Timothy Gega

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sealwatcher: View Post
    Thanks to the good folks who are meeting, planning, strategizing how best to stop this and to Sebastopol's city council who strongly oppose the project. There'll be something that each of us can do, letters to the editor are really helpful, and to our supervisor as well.
    I agree sealwatcher. Many hands make light work!

24. Gratitude expressed by:

25. TopTop #44
    Timothy Gega

I have designed and built many Commercial Projects in my career. Prior to the Design Stage, I ask many questions of my customers of their needs and desires for each development. I apologize to Mr. Wagner for his Advisors who failed to ask the most basic of questions before he purchased this Dairyman property.

At the onset, there are many glaring Legal concerns that would have raised red flags (for me) all over this proposed colossal plan, at this site, in this neighborhood, on this Laguna.

26. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

27. TopTop #45
    Timothy Gega

The (site-specific) thing about this particular Dairyman location (called Sebastopol) is its unique “Ecosystem” location. This micro-region is the “outer Western edge” of the Valley floor. (A transitional point/area.)

This precise location is also where the Sonoma Valley’s water runoffs culminate creating a unique wet-environment for many wildlife as well as their sensitive habitats.

This specific area is both the last mountain range before the Pacific Ocean and well as being the first mountain range from the Pacific Ocean where many migrating birds require much needed rest after/before their long ocean migration begins or ends.

Once we allow these (any) mega-type of developments to begin here, there is no turning back the hands of time. Las Vegas style developments will soon follow right here, along this strip of Hwy. 12.

28. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

29. TopTop #46
    Imagery

I don't see why the city of Sebastopol doesn't simply place a blanket ban on development of any more wineries/tasting rooms in the zip code. Make it impossible for anyone to develop these eco-terrorist attractions, and they'll move on.

30. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

31. TopTop #47
    Helen Shane

The City of Sebastopol has no jurisdiction over sites beyond the city limits. The project site is in what I think is termed the city's referral zone; that offers the right to comment on the benefits or detriments of a project, but confers no veto rights. The way to combat this is to write to members of the Board of Supervisors and give them good reasons to reject the project.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Imagery: View Post
    I don't see why the city of Sebastopol doesn't simply place a blanket ban on development of any more wineries/tasting rooms in the zip code. Make it impossible for anyone to develop these eco-terrorist attractions, and they'll move on.

32. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

33. TopTop #48
    Shepherd

Helen is correct below. In addition to her good idea about writing to members of the Board of Sups, I would suggest letters to local editors and commentaries. It is important to get more voices out there. Following are the appropriate addresses and some guidelines:

Daily Press Democrat editorial page editors: Paul Gullixson, [email protected], and Jim [email protected].
    Weekly Sonoma West editor David Abbott: [email protected].
    Weekly North Bay Bohemian editor Stett Holbrook: [email protected]
    Monthly Sonoma County Gazette editor Vesta Copestakes: [email protected].
    Monthly Russian River Times: Johanna Lynch at [email protected].

Though "double submissions" used to be frowned upon, they are now more acceptable. I would suggest that letter and op/ed writers go to their websites, read some of their letters and commentaries, and thus contextualize their submissions. I tend to suggest a headline, include word count and my email address, thus facilitating feedback. It is important that we get more voices out there into print. Feel free to forward this email to any potential letter writers.

Letters to the editor, which are typically up to 200-250 words, commentaries, which are typically 600 to 650 words, would be helpful from Napa and Lake. The Bohemian also has an upfront thing called OpenMic, which publishes 350 word items.

Please be sure to send me copies of any letters or op/eds, so that I can quote from them in the articles that I have begun to write for the national press, even if they are not published. We need to make this "Wine Country" struggle, here in the Redwood Empire, a national story, since the wine made from our limited land and water is sold throughout the country and the globe.
    Shepherd, [email protected]

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Helen Shane: View Post
    The City of Sebastopol has no jurisdiction over sites beyond the city limits. The project site is in what I think is termed the city's referral zone; that offers the right to comment on the benefits or detriments of a project, but confers no veto rights. The way to combat this is to write to members of the Board of Supervisors and give them good reasons to reject the project.

34. TopTop #49
    jbox

Quote Posted in reply to the post by imagery: View Post
    i don't see why the city of sebastopol doesn't simply place a blanket ban on development of any more wineries/tasting rooms in the zip code. Make it impossible for anyone to develop these eco-terrorist attractions, and they'll move on.
    lol

35. Gratitude expressed by:

36. TopTop #50
    norcalredtail

Thank you Shepherd, for getting this info out to the Wacco community! Shepherd has been working diligently to fight Dairyman. I too have been involved in the fight, and have submitted fact-based letters these past few days to both the North Bay Business Journal and the Bohemian. I have attached the article I submitted for the Business Journal. It is packed with the alarming facts we must all emphasize to derail Dairyman.

We need to be clear about where our boundaries lie with these land and resource hungry winery tycoons. Community advocates in Healdsburg and Napa have been fighting this same kind of exploitation. The Napa situation even made CBS News. They are tapped out of land and water at this point, yet the winery money machines don't care and don't stop trying to consume and capitalize, so the residents of Napa have to fight. Why do you think the Wagners, who own the high production Caymus Vineyards in Napa, a winery in Monterey, and several other labels, are now staking their claims for mega-production facilities and event centers in both Sonoma County and Solano County?

The county is often in favor of the winery industry that brings tourism to Sonoma County. So we have to remind them that Sonoma County is already on the map for tourism, and mega wineries taking over our important Laguna Watershed are not going to better this economy (or the nature that is a big part of what draws the tourists here). Not with the majority of their profit is going into their pocket while the majority of their employees can barely afford the cost of living in Sonoma County on their low wages!

The residents of Sonoma County need to send a clear message of opposition to the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors, who will soon be reviewing the Dairyman application. Please write/email an opposition letter in regard to Dairyman and any other atrocious winery proposals you hear about to the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors and County planner Traci Tesconi at [email protected].

I encourage all of you who are artists, healing artists, visionaries and creative entrepreneurs who have ben feeling frustrated and concerned about your ability to survive in this economy, to ready yourself to emerge. Step into your authentic power and create a job you can feel passionate about (that either employs or helps other life forms if possible). Who knows, maybe some of us are ready to step out of the feeling of lack and fear and achieve what we once thought was impossible. There is support for making this a reality if you aren't sure how to do all the footwork. Just google the Sonoma County Economic Advisory Board, look into their Creative Sonoma Arts action Plan and get inspired to become a part of creating a healthier, more creative vision of sustainability for Sonoma County than what the winery/event center tycoons have in mind. The jobs they create are mostly seasonal and mostly low wage. Let’s build our economy with the jobs we desire, while enhancing our community and protecting our rural habitats.

Blessings,
    Christine Dufond

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    Helen is correct below. In addition to her good idea about writing to members of the Board of Sups, I would suggest letters to local editors and commentaries. It is important to get more voices out there. Following are the appropriate addresses and some guidelines:...

37. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

38. TopTop #51
    Shepherd

I want to echo Christine's invitation below that we flood letters to Sonoma County planner Traci Tesconi at [email protected]. Please consider sending copies of your letter also to Wacco, the Preserve Rural Sonoma County website, which will soon be online, and Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/preserveruralsonomacounty, and to members of the SoCo Board of Supervisors. The sooner we stop this water-guzzling, environmental-wrecking, traffic-congesting Dairyman Winery and Distillery, the better. Otherwise, we will be deluded with more such monsters.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by norcalredtail: View Post

We need to be clear about where our boundaries lie with these land and resource hungry winery tycoons. ...

39. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

40. TopTop #52
    gardenmaniac

Name:  Raisin Country ....gif
Views: 2164
Size:  96.0 KB

41. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

42. TopTop #53
    gypsey

In this regard, there's a fascinating interview in the Spring issue of Sonoma Discoveries Magazine with Mark Greenspan Ph.D., regarded as one of the world's leading experts on wine-grape irrigation. Greenspan says " In my experience, most growers on the North Coast can reduce their irrigation applications by 30 to 50% with only positive outcomes. They just have to learn how to do it." Re dry farming of wine grapes in Sonoma County, Greenspan says this: "There are many vineyards that simply cannot get through a season without irrigation, but I have also found many vineyards that did not need to be irrigated, unbeknownst to the grower..."

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gardenmaniac: View Post
    Name:  Raisin Country ....gif
Views: 2164
Size:  96.0 KB

43. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

44. TopTop #54
    Shepherd

Dry farming is the way to go. In France and much of Europe the premiere vineyards do not irrigate; it is even illegal to do so. Hence, the taste is better, more concentrated. The current issue of the Sonoma County Gazette has two articles on dry farming, one by a a member of the wine industry. Many crops taste better if they are not watered, like tomatoes and berries. My berry farm is no-till and I seldom irrigate, only when it is above about 95 degrees. After fertilizing for part of the last 22 years that I have been here, I no longer do much irrigating.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by gypsey: View Post
    In this regard, there's a fascinating interview in the Spring issue of Sonoma Discoveries Magazine...
    Last edited by thedaughter; 04-05-2015 at 11:50 AM.

45. Gratitude expressed by 3 members: