Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

Christian Hate Email

DAILY KOS
    JAN 22, 2015

Richard Dawkins Says Some Very Hateful Things (video)

That he can say such vile things with a smile on his face speaks volumes of his character. (Warning:NSFW or around children, or decent folk). Maybe not what you were expecting, but this is what real hate looks like.

| Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

3. TopTop #2
    bill shearer

Re: Christian Hate Email

Dodie here.
    This actually looks like Richard Dawkins reads Some Very Hateful Things sent to him by people that are threatened by his atheist views. The hate is coming from the writers of the letters not from him.

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #3
    forveterans49

I agree. In the very beginning of video there are words mentioning he is reading mail sent to him.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by bill shearer: View Post
    Dodie here.
    This actually looks like Richard Dawkins reads Some Very Hateful Things sent to him by people that are threatened by his atheist views. The hate is coming from the writers of the letters not from him.

6. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

7. TopTop #4
    wisewomn

Thanks for my laugh for the day, Edward.

These letters say more about the authors (so-called "Christians") than they do about Dawkins.

Even if you don't agree with Dawkins, it's hard not to admire his aplomb in the face of such stupidity and venom.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Edward Mendoza: View Post
    DAILY KOS
    JAN 22, 2015

That he can say such vile things with a smile on his face speaks volumes of his character. (Warning:NSFW or around children, or decent folk). Maybe not what you were expecting, but this is what real hate looks like.

8. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

9. TopTop #5
    Peacemaker

Just to be clear: The hateful things that Richard Dawkins is saying is him reading e-mail messages that he received from those who hate him. It is not him expressing his own opinions. An important distinction, I believe.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-24-2015 at 03:03 PM.

10. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

11. TopTop #6
    arthunter

seems like the "divide and conquer" strategy is going well ... that's where we all fight among ourselves over race, religion, sexuality, and politics, .... and the ruling psychopaths of the world continue their quest without challenge ...

12. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

13. TopTop #7
    Valley Oak

I have 4 questions:

1. Who is sending Dr. Dawkins those hateful messages?

2. Who is using the "divide and conquer" strategy?

3. Are they the same people?

4. If they are not the same people then who, again, are they?

Quote Posted in reply to the post by arthunter: View Post
    seems like the "divide and conquer" strategy is going well ... that's where we all fight among ourselves over race, religion, sexuality, and politics, .... and the ruling psychopaths of the world continue their quest without challenge ...

14. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

15. TopTop #8
    podfish

Boy, context/subtext is tricky on the web.

I presume that Edward indeed noticed that this was Dawkins reading his incoming mail, and that the quote "That he can say such vile things with a smile on his face speaks volumes of his character." was an admiring reference to his placid demeanor in the face of provocation.
    It never occurred to me that letters from threatened and ignorant people imply a directed conspiracy, though. Are the four questions taking that idea seriously?

I have 4 questions:

1. Who is sending Dr. Dawkins those hateful messages?

2. Who is using the "divide and conquer" strategy?

3. Are they the same people?

4. If they are not the same people then who, again, are they?

16. Gratitude expressed by:

17. TopTop #9

Quote Posted in reply to the post by wisewomn: View Post
    Thanks for my laugh for the day, Edward.

These letters say more about the authors (so-called "Christians") than they do about Dawkins.

Even if you don't agree with Dawkins, it's hard not to admire his aplomb in the face of such stupidity and venom.
    That's for sure. It's hard for me to imagine that people would write such things. And that they call themselves "Christians." And hard for me to imagine that I would be able to see the humor in them as he obviously does. Sometimes I read the comments on various newspaper articles and such and people go off on the article and then on each other and on and on and I wonder what kind of people these are and why they think its okay to be such jerks? Then I saw something on Facebook--someone posted Tweets that were back and worth between someone hateful and someone loving until the hateful person relented and changed his tone and said, "Oh, thank you for being kind to me. My mother just died and I'm very depressed and needed to vent. I'm sorry I was so mean." Not exact quotes but you get my drift. Maybe these Dawkins haters are just suffering souls, too. Just a thought.

18. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

19. TopTop #10
    Valley Oak

Well, I was trying to get ArtSeeker to exercise her mind and her 'logic' a little bit. Don't know if I succeeded though.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by podfish: View Post
    Boy, context/subtext is tricky on the web.

I presume that Edward indeed noticed that this was Dawkins reading his incoming mail, and that the quote "That he can say such vile things with a smile on his face speaks volumes of his character." was an admiring reference to his placid demeanor in the face of provocation.
    It never occurred to me that letters from threatened and ignorant people imply a directed conspiracy, though. Are the four questions taking that idea seriously?

20. TopTop #11
    arthunter

Here's an example ....

https://www.corbettreport.com/divide...ftright-fraud/

Well, I was trying to get ArtSeeker to exercise her mind and her 'logic' a little bit. Don't know if I succeeded though.

21. Gratitude expressed by:

22. TopTop #12
    arthunter

here's a thread that I started on the subject ,,, thanks for your interest ....

https://www.waccobb.net/forums/showt...631#post186631

23. Gratitude expressed by:

24. TopTop #13
    podfish

Quote Posted in reply to the post by LRogers: View Post
    ... Sometimes I read the comments on various newspaper articles and such and people go off on the article and then on each other and on and on and I wonder what kind of people these are and why they think its okay to be such jerks? ..... Maybe these Dawkins haters are just suffering souls, too. Just a thought.
    I think it's something else. It's a familiar idea that good friends can rag on each other in ways that they'd never tolerate from a stranger. The idiom is "giving each other a bad time" and even if one doesn't go in for it themselves they're surely familiar with how some people are actually extremely harsh to their closest friends. And all in good fun, for those who go in for such things. Sometimes that language isn't that dissimilar from what's used in the letters to Dawkins. For example, a bunch of the letters start by saying "you fag..." and who hasn't heard schoolyard kids talking exactly like that to each other?

I'm not suggesting that these trolls are friends of the one they attack - far from it - but I propose it as an example that many people have that language in them and given the right environment, resort to it. Admittedly, even serial killers have neighbors who say "but he was such a nice boy.." so maybe there's real malice behind some of it - but I think mostly it's posturing. I don't think the writers (and even less, internet trolls) are visualizing their target as a person. Once that distance is broken down, like in your example, normal human rules of social interaction begin to come into play.

25. Gratitude expressed by:

26. TopTop #14
    jbox

DAILY KOS
    JAN 22, 2015

Thanks, Edward. My fave is "your feigned intelligence is actually just a fart from God"
    Last edited by Barry; 01-26-2015 at 01:00 PM.

27. Gratitude expressed by:

28. TopTop #15
    Valley Oak

Here is the previous video, called, "Hate Emails with Richard Dawkins"

29. Gratitude expressed by 2 members: