Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Valley Oak

Animal rights group targets Petaluma egg farm, Whole Foods Market

Dearest Community, please boycott Whole Foods now!

Press Democrat, January 8, 2015:

Animal rights group targets Petaluma egg farm, Whole Foods Market

A Bay Area animal rights group posted a graphic video Thursday showing conditions inside a Petaluma egg farm, part of a campaign designed to shame one of its major customers, Whole Foods Market, and tarnish the certification program that assures consumers its organic eggs were produced in a humane manner.

But representatives for the farm and the nonprofit group that certified its processes both insist the online video showed hens that were not part of the Certified Humane program, undermining the video’s key contention that even the best farm practices amount to “violence” against animals.

“We are 100 percent certain that they shot the wrong flock,” said Stevan Allen, a spokesman for Petaluma Farms, which produces both organic and conventional eggs raised without cages. The farm’s owners, Steve and Judy Mahrt, also disputed the contention that animals had been mistreated.

Humane Farm Animal Care, a Herndon, Va., nonprofit agency that administers the Certified Humane program, said it has only certified the organic laying hens at Petaluma Farms, a portion of the farm’s animals. The hens shown in the video “were never certified by us,” said founder Adele Douglas.

Direct Action Everywhere, which was founded in Berkeley in early 2013, posted a 19-minute professionally produced video on its website Thursday, along with statements saying Whole Foods is deceiving its customers by supplying inhumanely produced food.

The advocacy group says its video, taken by activists who climbed over barbed-wire fences and into Petaluma Farms’ barns on multiple nights in 2013 and 2014, shows hens “suffering, in misery and sickness, and death.” Direct Action Everywhere maintained the video was the first to reveal conditions in a “certified humane” farm.

Petaluma Farms, run by the Mahrts for more than 30 years, produces both non-organic, cage-free and certified organic eggs. The organic eggs are sold by Whole Foods under its 365 label, as well as by Organic Valley, a nationwide agriculture cooperative based in Wisconsin.

The farm in the video is identified simply as a “humane certified” farm in Northern California. The images show at least three activists walking through dark henhouses with a camera and lights. Dozens of hens appear huddled together, some with feces on them and some missing significant numbers of feathers. The activists took one hen that appeared extremely lethargic.

Direct Action Everywhere organizer Priya Sawhney said her group is using the video — which she suggested was indicative of widespread problems at Petaluma Farms — to alert consumers that Whole Foods isn’t being honest about its animal products.

“They talk about how they source from farms that raise their animals humanely,” she said. “They say ‘values matter’ … but we want to expose their lies.”

Petaluma Farms rejected the claims that animals are mistreated on its Cavanaugh Lane farm.

“We are truly proud of our record as leaders and innovators in the area of poultry care,” Steve Mahrt said in a written statement. “A recent online video uses extremely selective footage to suggest that a few hens that should have been removed are representative of our entire farm.

“We spend every day with our hens, and given that their humane treatment has always been part of our core values, we find the video to be extremely offensive,” the statement said. “The video in no way reflects our practices or the overall health of our flocks.”

Petaluma Farms wasn’t aware of the break-ins until the video was published. The farm contacted police, but no formal legal action has yet been taken, Mahrt’s spokesman said.

The video was the second one publicized recently at a Sonoma County farm. In October, ...

Continues here
    Last edited by Barry; 01-10-2015 at 02:18 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

3. TopTop #2
    EmeraldMatra

Re: Animal rights group targets Petaluma egg farm, Whole Foods Market

''Cage-free'' and ''free range'' is a hoax! Instead of 7,000 chickens in cages in a warehouse so-called cage-free and free-range is 7,000 chickens loose in a warehouse! Don't pay extra money for that!

In recent years Whole Foods has been carrying ''pasture'' eggs which I thought might be okay, but I don't trust Whole Foods without checking this out myself. I have been occasionally getting farm eggs from the farmers market. My intention is to only get eggs from chickens who run around outside on a farm and have a coop to sleep in at night. I will not eat eggs that come from cruelty! The cruelty to chickens for eggs or meat is some of the worst. I would rather give up eggs for the rest of my life than support animal cruelty. I do not eat meat (no meat for 45+ years and reaping the benefits of that choice) and I avoid dairy for these reasons as well. Now I am especially avoiding West Coast dairy due to the Fukushima accident which is still showing up in the grass-fed dairy.

When I am in a groove of cooking regularly - eating greens, beets, beans, and mostly vegetables - I have no need for animal products. When I get too busy and don't keep up with my cooking that is when I go for smoked fish (from Iceland or Norway), eggs (from the farmers market), or sometimes dairy (organic from east of the Rockies). I love eating these foods but I prefer to eat low on the food chain and eat local only. I don't try to be perfect but I also feel a lot healthier when I am eating my own yummy, healthy vegan cooking.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-11-2015 at 01:39 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

5. TopTop #3
    Shandi

It will be difficult for Whole Food addicts to believe that they've been lied to, and even more difficult to give up shopping there.

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Shandi

It's interesting to note that we all have our various reasons why we shop at certain grocery stores, and the reasons we may choose to stop. You are one of many who stopped shopping at WF over the sale of rabbit, although Community Market also sells rabbit. How many people will actually stop shopping at these stores over the rabbit issue? And what are their reasons? What if the other stores on your route start selling rabbit?

Now there's the "chicken/egg" issue revealed recently...will this also cause WF shoppers to withdraw? I can almost guarantee that there are other things yet to be revealed. I do remember something last year about some WF produce being grown in sludge. It may have been the year before....

Some items labeled as "organic" or "GMO" free have turned out to be not so, and only discovered through testing.

More and more, we discover that people in charge of our food, our health, our children, and our pets are not trustworthy. The bottom line is profit at any price to the unaware consumer. And these discoveries are the "difficult truth" that we choke on. I can attest to my resistance to the truth of the collusion between vets and pet food manufacturers, as my weeks of research continued to unravel my trust in nearly any vet.

I have found some sources for information that I do trust, regarding pets:

www.TruthAboutPetFood.com (recent testing shows some "difficult truths" about certain well known brands)
    www.CatInfo.org
    www.NaturalCatCareBlog.com
    www.VitalityScience.com

Even though some employees may feel a "protest" in their hearts, they can't afford to lose their jobs. Economics determines our degree of protest when we are dependent on the corporation to sustain us.

My economics dictate that I can't afford to shop at WFM or Community Mkt. Neither can I buy coffee from Starbucks or Peets, so I choose to make my own.

You know, if you miss the people at WF, you could always stop in just to say "hi". They probably miss you too!

8. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

9. TopTop #5
    Dixon

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sealwatcher: View Post
    Rabbit is the "new white meat." There are ongoing protests in front of WFM in the rollout area, including ours.
    What is the objection to killing and eating rabbit as opposed to, say, chicken, pig, cow, fish, etc.?

10. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

11. TopTop #6
    nancypreb

Why don't you just say what you mean to say, which is, "CONVERT the world to vegetarianism/ veganism," whichever it is you're advocating. Because

1) Life is chalk full of "pain and suffering," there is no getting around it, there is only acceptance.

2) Yes, we do inflict it upon ourselves and upon one another; Again, there's no getting around it, other than through "enlightenment," whatever that may mean for you.

3) Yes, rabbits are cute, and yes, they scream (sometimes)... I know because I have killed and eaten many, but rabbit is one of the most prolific and "sustainable" proteins, hence why it is often encouraged through global food initiatives to impoverished regions.... like "Slow Food USA." They grow fast, they grow cheap, they reproduce rapidly, and provide a very healthy/lean protein source where other plant-based options may not be so readily available due to soil, water, or other environmental conditions. In way of meat, rabbit is better in this way than beef, pork, lamb, or goat, the most eaten meat in the world!

4) My guess is that whether it's a rabbit or a lizard, you wouldn't be for "killing" for the sake of human consumption, period. So then just say that. HEY WORLD- BE LIKE ME, BE VEGETARIAN/VEGAN! I'M BETTER THAN YOU-BE LIKE ME! To which I would say (like millions of others), "No thank you. Live and let live." There is a difference between "animal cruelty" and eating animal protein. All "killing" sucks to a certain degree. Some can handle it, others can't. I won't blame you for not being able to accept a natural aspect of life, don't fault other for being able to.

All animals raised for meat "honors our house," if, indeed, that is the philosophy you choose to follow. This is why, even among my atheist friends, I insist on saying some form of "Grace" before a meal. To show respect for the honor. But don't mislead yourself, others, and especially the children, in thinking that there is no "loss, blood, ugliness, or sadness" which is part of the "beauty of life," part of the presence/existence that results in "honor," and that as we consume we can not, simultaneously, be conscious to be thankful for such polarizing/conflicting dynamics of life. Protest all you want- meanwhile.... "Rabbit, It's what's for dinner! You're welcome."

... And the other thing I know is that all life wishes to continue and that animals are slaughter struggle against their killing. Rabbits scream. It's up to us. Take part as you can if you desire a world free of this kind of pain and suffering.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-12-2015 at 12:18 PM.

12. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

13. TopTop #7
    nancypreb

When was the last time you were actually "inside" a commercial chicken house on Hall Rd. or Laguna? For me, it was last Saturday, but out in Fallon.... but still, pretty damn "local." And how exactly do you know that WFM was loosing sales in their other meat options.... do you have some kind of access to their P/L Statements?!

....OR.... are you talking based on assumptions?!!!!

Rabbit: A Great Meat Animal for Small Homesteads
    Clean, quiet rabbits are easy to raise, even for urban growers.

By Robin Mather
    October/November 2011

Urban Meat Part 1: Rabbits

Creme d’Argent rabbit
    PHOTO: AMERICAN LIVESTOCK BREEDS CONSERVANCY
    Rabbits are an ideal source of high quality meat for urban homesteaders.

Whether your homestead is in the city or the country, meat rabbits can help you feed your family with lean, nutritious meat. Rabbits breed and grow so quickly that one pair of healthy does (females) can produce more than 600 pounds of meat in a year. Compare that to the dressed yield of 400 pounds for an average year-old beef steer. Rabbits also use feed more efficiently than cows do: According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, a rabbit needs 4 pounds of feed to make 1 pound of meat. In comparison, beef cattle need 7 pounds of feed or more to create 1 pound of meat, reports Michigan State University’s Department of Animal Science.

Archaeologists have found proof that the Romans raised meat rabbits 2,000 years ago, so people have known for centuries that rabbit meat is delicious. Today, we know that it’s also an excellent source of protein, has less cholesterol and fat than chicken, beef, lamb or pork, and that it has an almost ideal fatty acid ratio of 4:1 omega-6 to beneficial omega-3 fatty acids (see The Fats You Need for a Healthy Diet to learn more).

Rabbits are clean and quiet, so they won’t trouble your neighbors. Their manure can enrich your garden without composting — it’s not “hot,” so it can go directly into the garden, where it will provide lots of nitrogen and phosphorus and help build soil. Or let the rabbits’ manure fall into worm beds; see Ten Commandments for Raising Healthy Rabbits for more on this idea.

If you’d like to try raising rabbits for the table, this guide will help you get off to an excellent start.

Read more: https://www.motherearthnews.com/home...#ixzz3Oa8LnrDj

Here's what DXE is doing, all over this country and in several other countries as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23m5...ature=youtu.be

Lots of egg alternatives, just search online. If you drive down Hall Road or out Laguna, watch for the chicken houses and know what EmeraldMatra says is true. You'll see the huge aerators in front of the buildings with no windows. As you saw in the DXE entrance into the sheds, you'll see how "well cared for" the hens are by the condition of the sheds. It's a nightmare inside.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-12-2015 at 12:23 PM.

14. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

15. TopTop #8
    Shandi

Judgement comes easily when we see ourselves as "better than" others. Because someone is vegan doesn't mean that they are "compassionate, caring, not harming or trying for a better world". Sometimes people become vegan for personal health or financial reasons.

This reminds me of another polorizing "life" issue, which involves what some believe as "murder" of the unborn child, which is condemned by so many. Some who condemn this practice, willingly "murder" those who perform abortions.

Lots of insanity present at this time in history, but maybe no more than other times. Technology gives us "real time" information throughout the planet, so we are "aware" of the activity in our world, and beyond. This was never before possible.

Some things seem to be getting better, but a lot more seem worse, as articulated in Ron Paul's Predictions for 2015 posted recently on Wacco.

Sweetlizzy, we occupy two different places on the spectrum of food choices. Veganism, compassion, caring, not harming, trying for a better world is mine. I've yet to hear a comprehensive argument for carnism in this time of climate change, continuing malnourishment and starvation in the developing world, of the diabetes epidemic in industrialized countries...

16. Gratitude expressed by:

17. TopTop #9
    Shandi

Even without reading Will Tuttle's essay, I can easily understand that we've evolved from a herding culture. I'm glad that there are vegans like yourself, compassionate and caring. Likewise, there are non-vegans who are compassionate and caring. Those may be among the people who say it's too expensive to live a vegan life, so they may be postponing their expenses for necessary medical care down the road.

I don't see that much concern for the planet, even here in Sonoma County. Look at the number of vineyards, that only keep increasing. Hey, but wine is vegan, right? Could the bottom line be profits, rather than regard for this little piece of the planet? Of course, it doesn't compare to the effect of raising livestock, but it all adds up.

Ron Paul isn't trying to get votes, but simply sharing vital information that is affecting all of us, vegans and non-vegans, in our attempt to survive a life threatening political machine in our country, and beyond. I, too, am glad that Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren are speaking out.

Please do read the essay from Will Tuttle - he explains the herding culture from which we have evolved...

18. Gratitude expressed by:

19. TopTop #10
    nancypreb

Thank you Shandi, I read that too! Sealwatcher is "compassionate, caring, does not harm, and is trying for a better world" while I, and others like me.... well, I'm just NOT. My natural sense of wonder and compassion in life has been crushed by disillusion and lack of enlightenment and knowledge, dare I say "intelligence," and only repairable by living the Gospel According to Veganism. I clearly wish for a less than better world, I am uncaring and uncompassionate; I clearly lack feeling for others. That's quite the assessment, Sealwatcher, based on dietary choices. Indeed, the "Pro-lifers" who fight to inhibit a woman's right to choose, must hold you in high esteem.

This is how compassionate I am.... I will let you continue on your righteous path, to believe, even proselytize, how much better a human being you are. I take no offense, I will not feel your harm. I will rise above so that you may put down as you sit upon your pedestal reading your books. But to think that "death," even the taking of life for the sake of sustenance, is somehow not part of the "natural world," not inclusive in "wonder," inherently void of "compassion," is without "care," is.... well....interesting. As interesting as it is that you can not comment on Rand Paul, or a political view that is not your own. I too align with Sanders and Warren, yet I sometimes wonder "Who is John Galt?"

I hunt, fish, kill, clean, milk, pick, pull, gather, cook.... and there's not a fruit or veggie that doesn't find its way to my plate. I eat soggy leftover salad because that's "when the flavor sets in!" according to my grandmother's clever indoctrination, designed to not let food go to waste. I guess maybe I really should strive to be more like those who go to Whole Foods in their electric cars with "Eat Local" on their bumpers, loading their carts up with cartons of coconut water and quinoa. Or the farmers market shoppers who don't stop to think.... do we not have more farmers than this? Do we not have more local food available? Why is this thing so small and NEVER growing.... oh, right.... because we prefer the "quaint and quirky" sense of community that has been hand picked for us, despite the need to promote and proliferate our local food-shed.

I suggest you're (and I say this in a general term) not interested in making the world a better place, you're interested in making a world that is better for you.... because coconut water and quinoa doesn't grow around here, and there are FAR MORE farmers who have food to sell but aren't allowed to. But rabbit and chickens... those grow anywhere. They're able to feed children, like the unwanted ones who are the product of incest and rape, and thanks to those who don't believe in "killing," but rather force LIFE upon the now parents who are not on the socio-economic ladder that affords their children the luxury of a back-yard food-forest.... are just happy to have a bed at the shelter and enough school books to go around.... well, those uncompassionate, uncaring, unenlightened parents and children, how dare they eat meat! I do see your point!

I will take winters with my summer, springs with my fall. I will take the wanted children and the unwanted. I will take the fruit with my veggie, with my bread, with my milk, with my meat. I will care of life, in both the coming, the going, the giving and the taking. And in doing, I will give thanks to my God in my moment of Zen.

Namaste

...My veganism is based on compassion and caring, not harming; I try to live my live working for a better world...

20. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

21. TopTop #11
    EmeraldMatra

When I gave up meat over 45 years ago at the age of 18 I did that for ethical reasons. I did not want to harm animals. I also don't think that it is natural for the human body to consume meat or dairy. Our bodies are not designed for it. There are many arguments for and against veganism and vegetarianism and I have engaged in all of them over these many years. I will discuss this issue with anyone who wants to but my policy has always been to refrain from telling other people what to eat. As much as I might think that I have the right path it is none of my business what other people choose for themselves. For me the bottom line is that I want people to be informed and to make educated decisions. Most of the people in my life eat meat and animal products and they have thought this through. Most of them attempt to buy meat that is clean and as humanely raised as possible. In all my years of discussing this with people I have never met anyone who was in favor of animal cruelty. I wish that more people would give up meat and animal products, or at least eat less, for many reasons including the toll this is taking on our planet. But the bottom line is that it is none of my business how people live for the most part.

Everyone is trying to make the world a better place in their own way. For some that is by eating a plant-based diet. For others it is smiling at strangers on the street. Some folks are making an important contribution through children, and some are inventors or riding a bicycle to work. I think that we are aware that there are some major problems to face together. We don't all agree about how to solve them. We are all doing our best and I don't think that we have to all agree about how to do that.
    If not for moral reasons there are health considerations to take into account. I had the easiest menopause I have ever heard of with not one hotflash. I have no heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol or diabetes. I am living the benefits of eating an organic plant-based diet for as long as I have. There is a diet that reverses heart disease that is entirely vegan with no oils and lots of onions and beans. If someone has heart disease they can choose this diet temporarily to get well and then be wise and moderate with their meat consumption to maintain their health. If someone has fibroids they might be able reduce these tumors greatly by giving up dairy and red meat. If someone has bad PMS or heavy periods they can give up dairy for a week before bleeding and possibly have less suffering.

I think that we might all agree that three meals a day or chemically processed meats from mainstream producers is a killer for humans and the planet. It is cruel and unconscionable. How far we go away from that model is up to each of us. I am living by my principles, as are all of us. It is not for me to judge the choices of other people.

Blessed Be!
    Love,
    Emerald
    Last edited by Barry; 01-13-2015 at 02:20 PM.

22. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

23. TopTop #12
    Shandi

Thank you for sharing your conscious perspective. As more information is revealed about cruelty to animals and humans, we have more choices for informed decisions. How many of us would know that by buying certain products (food and non-food), we contribute to human slavery? And recently, my shocking discoveries that most pet food contains "dead dogs and cats" among other dead/diseased animals. The most disheartening revelation was that most vets are in the back pockets of food manufacturers, namely Hills (Science Diet) and Royal Canin.

Vets in training are educated in nutrition by these companies, and have contracts to promote their foods. Not really much different than doctors and Big Pharma. Most of us can believe what we hear about the medical profession, but are extremely reluctant to believe that our vet can't be trusted. More and more we see sick and dying pets who have been eating food from China, but also from these "prescription diets". One look at the ingredient list is all it takes....if you're informed.

I've recently posted some information on this in the "pet" category on Wacco, along with trusted sources who really do care about the health of our companion animals. Anyone who truly wants to "do no harm" to animals, especially those in our care, would be wise to check out these resources:

www.TruthAboutPetFood.com (See recent list of brand name pet foods tested...and the discoveries.)
    www.CatInfo.org (A vet who dedicates her life to saving pets, and shares her wealth of knowledge.)
    www.NaturalCatCareBlog.com
    www.VitalityScience.com (A company that provides products to help with health issues in pets.)
    Last edited by Barry; 01-13-2015 at 02:21 PM.

24. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

25. TopTop #13
    wisewomn

The objection is primarily that rabbits are commonly and widely regarded as pets, not livestock or fair game. Promoting rabbit as "the new white meat" is analogous to promoting dogs, cats, or monkeys (or even Swift's "modest proposal") as food. Those animals are common fodder in other parts of the world (Asia) but certainly not here. I think the foodies would be more successful were they to jump on the current bandwagon for eating insects.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Dixon: View Post
    What is the objection to killing and eating rabbit as opposed to, say, chicken, pig, cow, fish, etc.?

26. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

27. TopTop #14
    nancypreb

To get back to the initial article that started this thread, some may find this an interesting follow up:

https://www.takepart.com/article/201...eau-conference

For those of you who are not familiar with Dr. Grandin, she transformed slaughterhouse procedures through the autistic sensibilities that enabled her to relate to the process. As stated in this article—Grandin may be the only person whose seal of approval is held in high regard by activists and ranchers alike. I also found her comments on the Petaluma Farm video a relief, as I thought the very same thing.... there is too much flawed with the video to make any kind of conclusion towards animal cruelty.

(from the above link:)
    “There were no wide-angle shots' in the video, said Grandin. 'There was no way to judge from the video if [the facility] was good or bad. I could only see four-to-five awful-looking chickens.' But for many in the public—and the media—a few sad-looking birds is all it takes for a video to go viral."

Furthermore (and I've watched the 18 minute long video several times over), over half of the video is dedicated to one single, solitary, bird (from among thousands!!) they name "Maye!" Upon finding "Maye," who was clearly an unhealthy and frail bird, commentators in the video point how how "crowded" the birds are. Does nobody else watching the video know how chickens hunker down together at night?! I'm not saying they had enough space or didn't, but a very basic knowledge of poultry behavior would tell you, there is nothing to conclude from these close up shots taken in the middle of the night, when instinct tells the animal to find a dark place and hunker together for warmth and security. Despite how much room they have, they are hard wired to find "strength in numbers!" Having raised 5,000 chickens at a time, in pasture, you can give 10 birds a 100 square feet, and they will all crowd together in one corner, often piling on top of one another.... it's what chickens do!!

When in the cab, the poor bleeding heart rescuer says, "She's trying to find darkness because that's all she knows." No. It's because it's night, and that's their instinct, and you are shining an insanely bright camera light in her eyes, which is the epitome of "unnatural." Go to any 4-H poultry show at the fair and you will see little 7 year old children who know to hide a chicken's (or a rabbit's) head in your arm to provide them a sense of security and calm.

Bottom line, if you want to make a case.... come with some basic knowledge, not just a bleeding heart!

28. Gratitude expressed by 9 members:

29. TopTop #15
    nancypreb

Last post... and I promise, because I really have to get to packing! But I thought this might be a good time to announce the World Premiere of a film, by two-time Emmy Award winning documentarian, Morgan Schmidt-Feng, about me, my family, my ranch in Bodega (on which we raised beef, pork, lamb, chicken, rabbit, goat, and turkey... all for meat)... my story (Barry, you're sure to get a kick out of it!).

It is premiering at the Sundance/Slamdance Film Festival in Park City Utah next week. It has also been accepted to the Sebastopol Documentary Film Festival in March. I hope you will all come to see it. Like me, hate me, be inspired, be confused.... but come see what I hope to be a beautiful, honest, and transparent film, that just happens to be the story of my life as it unfolded. https://onherownfilm.com/

“This doc goes beyond the romance of farming… a hard look at the struggles.” -Michael Pollan, Omnivore’s Dilemma and The Botany of Desire

30. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

31. TopTop #16
    kamal

The following Upton Sinclair quote comes to mind, "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!"

32. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

33. TopTop #17
    nicofrog

I am very opposed to cruelty to animals or people for that matter and at the same time I feel that most vegans and animal rights folk are coming from a pain and death free world that just does not exist.

In order to grow vegetable protein in an efficient manner it is necessary even in the best clean safe organic farms to compost for instance, in composting we kill billions of organisms weekly, not just bacteria,worms, snails, slugs and sow bugs. but mice and rats frequent all farms and "have a heart" traps do not work because no one is there often enough to relocate all these rodents. Raccoons are a huge nuisance in many rural settings; it is illegal to trap and remove them but legal to kill them. Ask fish and game. They will tell you removing them does more harm. All this is going on daily in all farms regardless of how vegan they are. OOPS the rototiller just killed another gopher family, that makes about 100 million country wide in organic carnage farming.

Vegan chicken feed is the biggest hype, all chicken feed and poop attracts insects, chickens favorite food.
    There is no life without death. Try and tell Eskimos to become vegan!! or Africans in the Kalahari..

Actually here locally, turn me and a vegan loose in these woods; no fair going to W F's for a veggie burger and the survivor will be the one who heads down to the ocean and eats meat. This environment does not naturally support enough starch, protein and fat to support human life without the help of animals to gather and store it for you. And there are too many of us to support ourselves locally without farming. The Deer is Sacred in almost every culture worldwide,and also (with its permission only, one of the most popular foods) I volunteer to be a deer in my next life if I should be so lucky and be eaten by a conscious hunter . These circles of life hurt sometimes but they are very practical for the bacteria who run the whole show in the first place.

Many of the pet keeping practices and feeds are detrimental to the environment and not good for pets either.
    It was the disgusting practice of feeding surplus (stale) dog and cat food to cows that led to MAD COW spreading rapidly before someone figured that out and stopped it.

SO THANK YOU Bleeding heart animal rights folks (all so young and lovely) for using your spare time and money to CARE!! I DO want W F to tell the truth as much as possible and I DO shop there and will put in comments and mention it and CARE but back off on telling me that what you eat is kinder or better for the environment than what I eat. I promise to be extra careful to support local transitional farms and organic as well. I have and may still take an animals life occasionally and eat it cooked over a fire. Sorry, that hurts I know. I grow my own vegetables and eat more of them than any vegetarian I have met.

I will fight against unnatural and cruel over- concentrations of herding animals, the incorrect and stupid management of their feces and foods and try to redirect attention from W Foods to SAFEWAY and RALEYS and Olivers ,and Grocery Outlet who you seem to ignore. and how about FOODMAX At least W F is trying.

And how about our HUGE and PRODUCTIVE and FRIENDLY and "IMMIGRANT" population ??? If they keep eating and buying GMO's and cruelty raised meats,you can run around like (excuse me) chicken's with their heads cut off and it will only make a tiny difference. Where are your signs in SPANISH?? "Hispanics" already out number "us" here and actually do 99% of the work raising the food we are fussing about. (How many of "us" can point to non immigrant heritage)
    They will soon be the majority in the entire state. Carnitas anyone?? Yum .

And frankly, the likelihood of them changing their traditional ranchers diet is slim indeed. So let's print the brochures with some COMPROMISE in mind or you are just shoveling shit against the tide kids.

Nico
    Last edited by Barry; 01-18-2015 at 04:07 PM.

34. Gratitude expressed by 11 members:

35. TopTop #18
    Sara S
    Auntie Wacco

Good points here; but you left out Sebastopol's best market: Fircrest!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by nicofrog: View Post
    I will fight against unnatural and cruel over- concentrations of herding animals, the incorrect and stupid management of their feces and foods and try to redirect attention from W Foods to SAFEWAY and RALEYS and Olivers ,and Grocery Outlet who you seem to ignore....

36. Gratitude expressed by:

37. TopTop #19
    markwjam

on a rather simple corner of this matter, I've bought Judy's Organic Eggs several times...and I'm dismayed at how tasteless they are.....now, I understand why.....
    the problem, as I see several other "cage free" or even "organic" offerings (Uncle Eddie's for instance)...are ANY of these outfits doing things the right way.....I shall call Judy to point out the lie her and her husband are living....
    Last edited by Barry; 01-19-2015 at 11:49 AM.

38. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

39. TopTop #20

Quote Posted in reply to the post by markwjam: View Post
    on a rather simple corner of this matter, I've bought Judy's Organic Eggs several times...and I'm dismayed at how tasteless they are.....now, I understand why.....the problem, as I see several other "cage free" or even "organic" offerings (Uncle Eddie's for instance)...are ANY of these outfits doing things the right way.....
    Check out the nice chart on the Sebastopol Community Market egg fridge listing the 8 or so egg suppliers they carry and 7 or 8 categories of yes/no answers in comparison. It included cage free, access to pasture, whether their beaks were clipped, something like if they were fed soy or organic or not, and a few other issues. Only Grandma's, Alexandre Kids and I think one other had all the right yes's and no's for me. I learned some things and have now bought my last box of even organic Clover for the beak clipping and no pasture access.

40. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

41. TopTop #21
    wisewomn

Here's an update on the original Whole Foods violation of Free Speech rights:

Activist to Appear in Court for Handing out Leaflets in Front of Whole Foods Market

Store Manager Arrested activist for Distributing Information on Sales of Bunny Meat

Mill Valley, California
    (January 19, 2015) - Food Empowerment Project Founder and Executive Director
    Lauren Ornelas was arrested by the manager of Whole Foods Market (WFM) in
    Sebastopol, CA on November 16, 2014, for handing out educational pamphlets.
    The store manager had complained to police, and when the officer did not make
    the arrest, the manager chose to make a citizen's arrest.

Ms. Ornelas will be appearing at the Superior Court of California, County of
    Sonoma, in Santa Rosa, on January 21, at 8:30 am - supporters will be
    outside the courthouse.

Following activists will proceed to leaflet and protest at two locations in
    Sonoma County.

Ms. Ornelas, who was participating in a peaceful, legal protest organized by
    the Rabbit Advocacy Network as part of a national boycott asking WFM to stop
    the recent additional sales of domestic bunny meat, said, "This arrest is
    simply an attempt to silence me and other people who are speaking out
    against Whole Foods Market."

The Rabbit Advocacy Network, an international coalition of organizations,
    animal lovers, and activists led by Mill Valley's SaveABunny and Richmond's
    House Rabbit Society, has been protesting WFM's June 2014 decision to begin
    selling bunny meat. In response, WFM has replied with form letters promoting
    their humane standards, has blocked social media users from posting comments
    about bunny meat, and has deleted negative customer feedback on WFM's
    Facebook pages.

Arresting a peaceful protester who was exercising her constitutionally protected free speech rights reinforces the
    fact that Whole Foods Market has something serious to hide in their rabbit meat program.

For further information, visit www.rabbitadvocacynetwork.org
    Last edited by Barry; 01-21-2015 at 12:49 PM.

42. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

43. TopTop #22

Whole Foods didn't start selling rabbit meat because "sales of other meats were falling." They were responding to requests for rabbit, which became more convincing when their customers went to Community Market to (brace yourselves) buy rabbit meat.
    Last edited by Barry; 01-21-2015 at 12:38 PM.

44. Gratitude expressed by 5 members: