Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    Hotspring 44

"You Americans Have No Idea Just How Good You Have It With Obama"

There is more in the article than what is copied here.
    I think the author makes a reasonable point that happens to remind me of my last post on the Political Cartoons - Fall 2014 thread.

You Americans Have No Idea Just How Good You Have It With Obama

Quote Many of us Canadians are confused by the U.S. midterm elections. Consider, right now in America, corporate profits are at record highs, the country's adding 200,000 jobs per month, unemployment is below 6%, U.S. gross national product growth is the best of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) countries.

The dollar is at its strongest levels in years, the stock market is near record highs, gasoline prices are falling, there's no inflation, interest rates are the lowest in 30 years, U.S. oil imports are declining, U.S. oil production is rapidly increasing, the deficit is rapidly declining, and the wealthy are still making astonishing amounts of money.

America is leading the world once again and respected internationally — in sharp contrast to the Bush years. Obama brought soldiers home from Iraq and killed Osama bin Laden.

So, Americans vote for the party that got you into the mess that Obama just dug you out of? This defies reason.

When you are done with Obama, could you send him our way?

Richard Brunt

Victoria, British Columbia...

...Brunt's letter reminds me of one of my favorite Robin Williams quotes/memes:
    https://images.dailykos.com/images/1...jpg?1415689361
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Valley Oak

Re: "You Americans Have No Idea Just How Good You Have It With Obama"

Good article!

Just out of curiosity, who did you vote for in the midterms, 2014?

I voted for every Democratic Party candidate available to me in my ballot.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Hotspring 44: View Post
    I think the author makes a reasonable point that happens to remind me of my last post on the Political Cartoons - Fall 2014 thread.

4. Gratitude expressed by:

5. TopTop #3
    beshiva

Well, for starters...many of us expected a Progressive President...not even a Democrat really, or a liberal...
    Then we move on...to perpetual WAR
    Now six years later we still do not see or anytime soon, have Guantanamo Closed...it's immoral...it's an international shame..
    Absolutely no one paid for Bush's lies, deception and as a result...Perpetual War
    Wall Street is still being spoon fed...while Americans are literally Starving...
    More immigrants deported than the last couple presidents combined...over 2million...WHY? they are the backbone of our economy...work like slaves...paid low wages, disenfranchised, marginalized Always...
    Try getting a college education in the good ole USofA...they actually don't want us educated...then we get mad...lol
    And, DON'T GET ME STARTED ON HEALTHCARE!! i think we are in line with Somalia on that...
    Have one of the highest infant mortality rates in the industrialized world....
    In many of our cities and small county governments we have officially "militarized police"...and why ?? do we need THAT again???
    Shall i go on?
    peace
    beshiva

6. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

7. TopTop #4
    Hotspring 44

I voted Dem where it was partisan choice on my ballot.
    There were no Greens on my ballot and because there weren't any Greens or other party running there wasn't really much choice... ...But even if there were a Green (or other) I would have to have made my choice based on the facts as best as I could and that doesn't mean that any party's candidate would get my vote merely based on party.

I really don't appreciate the fact that Republicans and Democrats now have a monopoly on the elections here in CA whereas a third party or write-in is not an option in the general election anymore... ...what a SHAME!!!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Edward Mendoza: View Post
    Good article!

Just out of curiosity, who did you vote for in the midterms, 2014?

I voted for every Democratic Party candidate available to me in my ballot.

8. Gratitude expressed by:

9. TopTop #5
    Valley Oak

I didn't have any Green Party candidates available to me either. I would have voted for them as well had they been an option. Don't know how I would have voted though if there had been a Green candidate for the higher posts, such as governor, etc. I would have made sure that the Republican could not possibly win, then I would have voted Green, like I have so many times in the past.

I looked carefully at the candidates for SR City Hall but there was no evidence that any of them were Green. I voted for the candidates who appeared to be most most liberal/progressive but also competent (I would never vote for certain people, for example, unless they are the only candidate and even then I might also abstain, which is another issue commonly debated regarding elections).
    I voted Dem where it was partisan choice on my ballot.
    There were no Greens on my ballot and because there weren't any Greens or other party running there wasn't really much choice... ...But even if there were a Green (or other) I would have to have made my choice based on the facts as best as I could and that doesn't mean that any party's candidate would get my vote merely based on party.

I really don't appreciate the fact that Republicans and Democrats now have a monopoly on the elections here in CA whereas a third party or write-in is not an option in the general election anymore... ...what a SHAME!!!

10. TopTop #6
    Valley Oak

Beshiva,

To address the things you speak of, it is necessary to accomplish the following:
    We need systemic reform because it is self-defeating to vote for a 3rd party or alternative candidate since the electoral system makes it impossible to elect our people into office. It is contradictory to try to use the existing electoral process precisely because it is so profoundly flawed that it cannot work well enough to give us the reform we want. In order to elect alternative politicians like Kucinich, Nader, Warren, Sanders, etc, then we must first reform the system by which we can elect them. The way it is now, with first-past-the-post, single member districts, the electoral college, and so on, we can never put into public office the people I mentioned above.

The first step to real change and electing the people that we want into power is to replace our current electoral system with Proportional Representation, a multi-party system, a threshold for the national, state, and local legislatures, and the elimination of Divided Government. Then, and only then can we get people who are better than Hillary Clinton & Co.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by beshiva: View Post
    Well, for starters...many of us expected a Progressive President...not even a Democrat really, or a liberal...
    Then we move on...to perpetual WAR
    Now six years later we still do not see or anytime soon, have Guantanamo Closed...it's immoral...it's an international shame..
    Absolutely no one paid for Bush's lies, deception and as a result...Perpetual War
    Wall Street is still being spoon fed...while Americans are literally Starving...
    More immigrants deported than the last couple presidents combined...over 2million...WHY? they are the backbone of our economy...work like slaves...paid low wages, disenfranchised, marginalized Always...
    Try getting a college education in the good ole USofA...they actually don't want us educated...then we get mad...lol
    And, DON'T GET ME STARTED ON HEALTHCARE!! i think we are in line with Somalia on that...
    Have one of the highest infant mortality rates in the industrialized world....
    In many of our cities and small county governments we have officially "militarized police"...and why ?? do we need THAT again???
    Shall i go on?
    peace
    beshiva

11. Gratitude expressed by:

12. TopTop #7
    Hotspring 44

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Edward Mendoza: View Post
    Beshiva,

To address the things you speak of, it is necessary to accomplish the following:
    We need systemic reform because it is self-defeating to vote for a 3rd party or alternative candidate since the electoral system makes it impossible to elect our people into office....

...The first step to real change and electing the people that we want into power is to replace our current electoral system with Proportional Representation, a multi-party system, a threshold for the national, state, and local legislatures, and the elimination of Divided Government. Then, and only then can we get people who are better than Hillary Clinton & Co.
    Unfortunately NONE of these things or anything like it will ever happen without a REVOLUTIONARY power change happening first.

Unfortunately we live in a space where they who have the “strongest” and most resources, including the media coupled with military/police power at their disposal rules the masses...

...The masses are pretty much at the mercy of those political-military/police/media 'forces'.

Until the vast majority of all people IN THE WORLD unite in cause, then choose to undo the tiny minority power structures that are running roughshod over the rest of us, no matter what and actually stick to it...

... and there are enough of us left after the inevitable violence and/or death in vast numbers from the militarized police that already exist...

...Then there is always the chance that an “unexpected” occurrence that could happen like an uncontrollable and 'natural' event like a comet or large asteroid hitting the earth like the one that theoretically caused a “mass extinction event” or a pandemic (out of control human caused or not)...

... or what I think is becoming most likely; global unrest (not limited to humans) happens in most part because of weather patterns and ocean current changes (“global Warming”, “Climate Change” etc.) etc. which would stress us enough to have great potential to make us extinct and would most certainly completely change all current power structures from such a major kind of global event whereas if/when it does happen those kinds of changes are ultimately unavoidable...

...after such an earth changing event (at least in human terms as far as the pandemic aspect is anyway) would create space where such a power change could and would take place.

People can make any real major consequential political-military-social changes only when they, in unison, know what they are actually agreeing on and then follow through with their own individual commitment... ...to the death if necessary....

...It, the “commitment” which I mention dos not have to involve any perpetuation of violence but could result in the “political-military” violence directed at those who participate in the “resistance” of undemocratic minority run political-military oligarchic rule...

...Russell Brand interview on YouTube about his book titled “Revolution”:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbJiH0IX7g8

..Remember “Occupy”?... ...https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...olice-violence

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...olice-violence

In theory, a “system” can be dismantled from within, however...
    ...What so many here in US-of-A don't have a conscious grasp of is as far as the power structures (“political-military”) that are here now are concerned that “we the people” are not actually in power at all...

...It is a travesty to perpetuate the untruth of the “people” democratically have control within this “republic”...
    ...It is the oligarchs who are at the helm and without an outright “mutiny” of that system there will be no actual democracy.

IOW, no one can change the system from “within” when in reality they are locked-OUT!!!

13. Gratitude expressed by:

14. TopTop #8
    beshiva

Lennon was right, there are no problems - only solutions. But they are hidden. Two examples: 1) Until now, the only life forms on this planet to accomplish direct conversion of solar energy (photosynthesis) are plants and some bacteria. Humans are now at the threshold, and will soon accomplish the same. The implications of this are staggering. 2) Economists have had over 40 years to study our global economy as it exists today - with no gold standard. What has been revealed is that there is no revenue constraint on floating sovereign currencies.
    Despite the "we can't afford it" cries/lies of politicians, we have all the money we need at the stroke of a computer key. The .1% learned this in the nineties. They used this knowledge to pump trillions of dollars into Wall Street with the 2008 bailout and subsequent QE. That resulted in an estimated 32 trillion dollars deposited in off-shore accounts. It could have resulted in generalized prosperity if distributed to the states instead of fattening the coffers of plutocrats and the campaign chests of their minions. But, right now, that's the way it goes. Read about modern money mechanics here: https://modernmoney.wordpress.com/ and here: https://neweconomicperspectives.org/

15. Gratitude expressed by: