Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    John Eder
    Former Seb City Council Member

Questioning the Questioner

There is an irony that hasn’t been addressed during this campaign season. Mr. Greenberg and his supporters contend that he should be elected to the Sebastopol City Council because he is a financial “watchdog” who asks tough questions, and seeks to increase accountability, responsiveness and transparency. These are all laudable goals.

When Jim Horn, who is running for election to the Palm Drive Health Care District Board of Directors, asks “tough questions” about the financial viability of the Palm Drive Health Care Foundation’s “Plan” to reopen the hospital, he is labeled an obstructionist and opponent by Mr. Greenberg. When Mr. Horn seeks greater accountability, responsiveness and transparency in the proposal from the Foundation (or even merely the receipt of its supporting financial documents), he is said to “doom” or “torpedo” the hospital. How can one financial watchdog be a hero and the other financial watchdog be an obstacle? Logically, you can’t have it both ways.

Is it not odd, Mr. Greenberg, that Mr. Horn’s opponents, Dr. Powers and Mr. Colthurst, have essentially remained silent throughout this campaign, while Mr. Horn has clearly stated his positions on this forum and elsewhere, thereby exposing himself to your criticism? Is it sufficient voter information to hear Mr. Colthurst simply state, “I will open the emergency room. I will open the hospital.” as his entire policy statement?

I started a thread on Wacco titled ““Progressive Sebastopol” Lies.” It was a simple challenge to “Progressive Sebastopol” to provide conclusive proof of two very serious allegations that they had lodged against Mr. Horn, which were picked up and repeated by the Powers/Colthurst campaign. A simple request- back up what you have stated with facts. Initially, there was no response. Eventually, a counter-challenge was issued, in lieu of an actual answer. This is somewhat like, after being asked by a police officer for your driver’s license, responding with, “Prove to me that you have a library card.” When confronted with facts and accompanying supporting documentation, the typical response from Mr. Greenberg’s “Progressive Sebastopol” is silence or an unrelated, distracted counterattack, oftentimes fraught with manipulated/misstated versions of the truth.

It would appear that there are two primary issues at work here. First: a refusal to venture outside a world constructed of one’s own self-manufactured/distorted facts and realities. It is important, if one is to successfully serve the public, to be open to all information, even when you don’t agree with it, and to process it objectively. Second: the display of a pervasive sense of self-importance and self-aggrandizement that has grown quite old and sad- actually inspiring jokes about it. It is essential to park your ego at the door when entering the public arena.

I would have concerns about anyone wanting to serve our community who displayed these characteristics.

The person is not the problem- the problems are the problem.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

3. TopTop #2
    rossmen

Re: Questioning the Questioner

the way you describe things is more biased than greenberg and you don't share your intentions for doing so (besides keeping him out), like he does. what are you afraid of, the political game being upped by a pushy newyorker? this is a potential councilmate you're writing about. i remember you being trashed by the pro cvs crowd and you taking the high road with clear detailed explanations for your choices.

following my curiosity about the city of sebastopol's finances (where i do not live but directly experience municipal priorities), vs the health care district, i find the district to be more transparent. probably just the difference in complexity, but the city needs greenberg more than the district needs horn. i don't think it matters much who is elected to the district board since they're broke and don't have 2 mill/yr to support a new hospital. really we're discussing who can clean up the mess quicker and even horn isn't willing to be honest about it. at least he is on wacco, as well as you, which i really appreciate : )

Quote Posted in reply to the post by John Eder: View Post
    There is an irony that hasn’t been addressed during this campaign season. Mr. Greenberg and his supporters contend that he should be elected to the Sebastopol City Council because he is a financial “watchdog” who asks tough questions, and seeks to increase accountability, responsiveness and transparency. These are all laudable goals.

When Jim Horn, who is running for election to the Palm Drive Health Care District Board of Directors, asks “tough questions” about the financial viability of the Palm Drive Health Care Foundation’s “Plan” to reopen the hospital, he is labeled an obstructionist and opponent by Mr. Greenberg. When Mr. Horn seeks greater accountability, responsiveness and transparency in the proposal from the Foundation (or even merely the receipt of its supporting financial documents), he is said to “doom” or “torpedo” the hospital. How can one financial watchdog be a hero and the other financial watchdog be an obstacle? Logically, you can’t have it both ways.

Is it not odd, Mr. Greenberg, that Mr. Horn’s opponents, Dr. Powers and Mr. Colthurst, have essentially remained silent throughout this campaign, while Mr. Horn has clearly stated his positions on this forum and elsewhere, thereby exposing himself to your criticism? Is it sufficient voter information to hear Mr. Colthurst simply state, “I will open the emergency room. I will open the hospital.” as his entire policy statement?

I started a thread on Wacco titled ““Progressive Sebastopol” Lies.” It was a simple challenge to “Progressive Sebastopol” to provide conclusive proof of two very serious allegations that they had lodged against Mr. Horn, which were picked up and repeated by the Powers/Colthurst campaign. A simple request- back up what you have stated with facts. Initially, there was no response. Eventually, a counter-challenge was issued, in lieu of an actual answer. This is somewhat like, after being asked by a police officer for your driver’s license, responding with, “Prove to me that you have a library card.” When confronted with facts and accompanying supporting documentation, the typical response from Mr. Greenberg’s “Progressive Sebastopol” is silence or an unrelated, distracted counterattack, oftentimes fraught with manipulated/misstated versions of the truth.

It would appear that there are two primary issues at work here. First: a refusal to venture outside a world constructed of one’s own self-manufactured/distorted facts and realities. It is important, if one is to successfully serve the public, to be open to all information, even when you don’t agree with it, and to process it objectively. Second: the display of a pervasive sense of self-importance and self-aggrandizement that has grown quite old and sad- actually inspiring jokes about it. It is essential to park your ego at the door when entering the public arena.

I would have concerns about anyone wanting to serve our community who displayed these characteristics.

The person is not the problem- the problems are the problem.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

4. Gratitude expressed by: