Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #1
    scamperwillow

Vote NO on Prop. 45

It sounds good on the surface, but….
    I had a long talk with a friend last night - a neighbor who works for Covered California. She explained why prop 45 is a big threat to the Covered CA exchange - which sounds very dangerous. Here is a great editorial from the Chronicle that explains why:

In evaluating state ballot measures, Californians should be looking not just for good ideas, but well-crafted measures that do what they intend without unwanted side effects.

Proposition 45 is an example of a poorly drafted, poorly timed attempt to regulate health insurance premiums.

We've long supported the concept of giving the state insurance commissioner the authority to review and approve health premiums. But the federal Affordable Care Act has made some profound changes in the way rates and scope of coverage are determined, and this measure fails to adequately account for the new environment.

One of the most compelling arguments against Proposition 45 is that it could seriously undermine Covered California, which has become a national model in providing affordable premiums to individuals, families and small businesses. More than 1.3 million Californians signed up during the recently completed open enrollment…..

The entire editorial is here: https://www.sfgate.com/opinion/edito...45-5755430.php
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

3. TopTop #2
    Valley Oak

Vote YES on Prop. 45

If Prop 45 is so bad, what I'd like to know then is why both the Green Party and the Democratic Party endorse it, on the one hand, and the Republican Party is desperately opposed to it on the other hand. Conservative interest groups are spending millions of dollars to defeat Prop 45.

I find these facts to be very compelling. I'm voting Yes on Prop 45.

Edward
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 10-21-2014 at 12:12 PM.

4. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

5. TopTop #3
    scamperwillow

Re: Vote YES on Prop. 45

The truth is, I think it is far too complicated an issue to be put to uninformed voters. I consider myself to be a very well informed voter who spends time researching the issues, and I am confused by this measure. I am all for rate control on insurance, but I sure want Covered CA to succeed as well. I think, as the chronicle says, it is poorly written - too bad.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 10-21-2014 at 12:12 PM.

6. Gratitude expressed by:

7. TopTop #4
    joehogan

Re: Vote NO on Prop. 45

PROP. 45 — HEALTH CARE INSURANCE
    YES
    Endorsed by the California Nurses Association, Consumer Watchdog, and civil rights leader Dolores Huerta, Prop. 45 seeks to place controls on rising health care insurance costs by making rate changes subject to approval by the California Insurance Commissioner. It also provides for public notice, disclosure, and hearings on rate changes, and requires insurers to submit sworn statements as to the accuracy of information submitted to justify rate changes. While health care reform has helped to improve access to health care across the board, it's had little impact on rising costs. This is an important consumer protection measure. (Bay Guardian)
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 10-21-2014 at 12:13 PM.

8. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

9. TopTop #5
    rossmen

you pay too much attention to corporate media outlets. obamacare is an ongoing evolution. sure insurance interests who got paid off in the great compromise hate 45, but healthcare is still fucked. do your research instead of resting on your laurels. don't be a liberal apologist for the further corporitazation of our society. more regulation of the healthcare insurance industry is not a bad thing, unless you fear regulating it to death...NOT.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 10-22-2014 at 02:02 PM.

10. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

11. TopTop #6
    carpet crawler

One way or the other, it's follow the money. Here's the CA Fair Political Practices web site reporting who is spending the top money for and against Prop 45

https://www.fppc.ca.gov/top10Nov2014/#prop45

On the pro side: quite a few law firms, Consumer Watchdog, CA Nurses Association, and a few others; contributions total some $3 million.

Against: 5 insurance companies (Kaiser, Wellpoint, Blue Shield, HealthNet, United Healthcare) plus two or three PACs; contributions total some $56 million.

I have to admit, I consider it rare that large insurance companies have the general citizenry's best interests at heart. This makes me lean more towards voting for this initiative.

12. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

13. TopTop #7
    Investigative Reporter

Progressive Sebastopol Switched to a YES vote on this

When we discussed our endorsements, Progressive Sebastopol's members heard the same argument that Marty makes in her post above. Then we heard more, and changed our minds for the handy Progressive Sebastopol Voter guide that you can read and, f you want, print by clicking here

Here is what I just posted about why Progressive Sebastopol supports a YES vote:

Prop 45 is a real tough call for anyone to make. The SEIU Union, which is among the most progressive large unions out there, is urging a NO vote, as are dozens of organizations, like the CA NAACP and all the doctors associations. On the other side, for the YES vote, are Consumer Watchdog and the California Nurse's Association. CA Nurses is the most committed and effective pro-single payer advocate in the country.Their arguments,(read them here) on closer examination, make a lot of sense. And the fact that Kaiser is spending $15M to defeat this does to endear the No vote to us. So we switched.

14. Gratitude expressed by: