Click Banner For More Info See All Sponsors

So Long and Thanks for All the Fish!

This site is now closed permanently to new posts.
We recommend you use the new Townsy Cafe!

Click anywhere but the link to dismiss overlay!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

• Share this thread on:
  • Follow: No Email   
  1. TopTop #31

Re: The real issues in this race and or 2012 Voter Guide endorsement of Jacobs and Eder

Are you kidding?

My family has only needed to visit an emergency room four times in the last 10 years. The first 3 times we went to Palm Drive. The 4th, since Palm Drive closed, we chose to tough it out.

We need an Emergency Room right here in town. And for people west of town? Depending on time of day and traffic conditions, having a closer ER can be life-saving.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by scamperwillow: View Post
    ...but wouldn't a critical care or triage center work about as well to stabilize urgent patients before getting them to an emergency room? And of course a lot of stabilizing goes on in the ambulance too.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-25-2014 at 02:04 PM.
    | Login or Register (free) to reply publicly or privately   Email

2. Gratitude expressed by 5 members:

3. TopTop #32
    peggykarp

Re: Why the change on Prop 45 and Jim Horn's dog

Re Progressive Sebastopol now endorsing YES on 45. Just heard on the radio that the NO on 45 campaign has reached $30 million...and counting. Biggest contributors are the health insurance companies.

Good short article in LA Times from Monday: https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...020-story.html

Follow the money....

4. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

5. TopTop #33
    Richard Nichols

Re: PROGRESSIVE SEBASTOPOL 2014 VOTER'S GUIDE LOCAL and STATE

Thanks for the info. I wondered about urgent care or ER.
    Sorry, nothing to be done about the e-shouting from certain quarters.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lewsid: View Post
    Speaking as a seasoned RN, I can tell you unequivocally an urgent care center does not equate with an emergency room. I have been following this thread with interest and as an aside, reading text in bold feels like e-shouting to me, although it felt appropriate to write the issues themselves in bold text...

6. TopTop #34
    eyemusic

Does Progressive Sebastopol have an advice for the Judgeships?
    Last edited by Barry; 10-25-2014 at 02:05 PM.

7. Gratitude expressed by:

8. TopTop #35
    Investigative Reporter

Good question. They are running unopposed; either vote for them or not. We looked at this at our meeting and did not have sufficient info so just took a pass; no endorsement. If anyone has any strong opinions please post them here and share :)

Thanks,
    Jonathan

9. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

10. TopTop #36
    pamelaL

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Richard Nichols: View Post
    Thanks for the info. I wondered about urgent care or ER.
    Sorry, nothing to be done about the e-shouting from certain quarters.
    well, I doubt there will be more e-shouting now feedback has been given - and I maintain that
    the possitions in bold seemed quite appropriate; however, I suspect there really is nothing to be done about comments only intended to inflame and ridicule, which I find immature at best, and sad.

11. TopTop #37
    Richard Nichols

The positions are appropriate from an opinion point of view, but not all that based in reality. As for e-shouting, I DON'T LIKE IT, SO THERE!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Lewsid: View Post
    well, I doubt there will be more e-shouting now feedback has been given - and I maintain that
    the possitions in bold seemed quite appropriate; however, I suspect there really is nothing to be done about comments only intended to inflame and ridicule, which I find immature at best, and sad.

12. TopTop #38
    Kai Daniel

From the people I've talked to (and I've talked to a lot of Sebastopol residents going door-to-door the past 3 weeks) most of them want a hospital emergency room open. Anyone who says otherwise is misrepresenting the majority of all the people I've talked to. Some people say it is not financially possible and or that the city council has no role or jurisdiction with Palm Dr. ER.

I would agree that the city council has no legal mandate to help, but I know it has the ability, and in my opinion the obligation. City council may not have predesigned jursidiction, but they could set a president and make it their jurisdiction. Jonathan Greenberg suggested subsidizing city managed water and sewage to the hospital, that would help. Anything to make opening the hospital easier.

OH yeah I just remembered. WE ARE GOING TO PAY THE TAX REGARDLESS (sorry for shouting) and correct me if I'm wrong here, but does it make sense to pay for a service we can't receive? No. I'd rather keep paying and have the service.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-25-2014 at 02:06 PM.

13. Gratitude expressed by 7 members:

14. TopTop #39
    Gus diZerega

Re: The real issues in this race and or 2012 Voter Guide endorsement of Jacobs and Eder

I also am a fervent supporter of the emergency room, and the one time I used an emergency room, it was the one at Palm Drive when I had a stroke. That was in 2008.

Another reason, probably mentioned below as well, is that in a major quake Santa Rosa will be hit hard and its medical facilities will have their hands full over there, if they are not destroyed by a quake. It is only prudent to keep one over here, and if that takes money, well, it's money that will turn out to be very well spent when the time comes, and it will, we just don't know when.

Gus

Quote Posted in reply to the post by sealwatcher: View Post
    Hi, Marty! I'm a supporter of opening the emergency room, of re-opening Palm Drive. As you know, I live at Burbank Heights & Orchards, a low income senior community. There are about 200 folks here. I'm not sure how many go to Kaiser or the other HMOs but as a Medicare/Medical recipient my health care comes from the West County clinic in Sebastopol. When in less than two years I suffered six internal bleeds, one of which nearly killed me, Palm Drive saved my life. I can't put it any more clearly than that.

15. Gratitude expressed by 6 members:

16. TopTop #40
    Investigative Reporter

This election is about whether we get an emergency room back or not

I feel the same way as Pamela, Gus and Sandoak, and just about everyone I speak with in our community. The earthquake article was a shocker.

The most important reason to vote in this election is to elect Colthurst and Powers, to create a Palm Drive District Board majority that will restore an emergency room to our community.

17. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

18. TopTop #41
    Jim Wilson

On two occasions friends of mine used Palm Drive Hospital and received excellent care. One of those occasions involved calling an ambulance. Closing Palm Drive represents a great loss to our community. And it is also a loss to greater Sonoma County, for the reasons Gus indicated. I think that the County Board of Supervisors should be just as interested in maintaining Palm Drive as the Sebastopol population and the City Council of Sebastopol. Palm Drive is a significant asset for all of us for many reasons.

19. Gratitude expressed by 3 members:

20. TopTop #42
    John Eder
    Former Seb City Council Member

The population of Sebastopol comprises approximately 13% of the residents of the Palm Drive Health Care District. It would seem that logic would dictate that the County Board of Supervisors, with their greater resources and staffing, should be the lead agency in any external intervention in the matter of the closure of Palm Drive Hospital (assuming that it was requested, of course). The hospital is a District resource/asset, that happens to be located within Sebastopol. With their responsibility for 85%+ of the district's residents, most of whom are located in West County and along the Russian River, the County is in the best position to do the most good for the greatest number of people.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 10-28-2014 at 12:38 PM.

21. TopTop #43
    farmerdan

John,

How about if we all do our part?
    The County, the City, the doctors, the citizens, the donors, the Foundation, the district, the volunteers?

While the district is clearly much bigger than the city, the city gets the advantage of 200 high paying jobs, a hospital right in town and help for Sebastopol police and fire while only paying 15% of the taxes. Not a bad deal I would say!

I like your statement 'if it is requested.'
    Seems like you know someone who could make a request, how about asking her?

Farmer Dan

Quote Posted in reply to the post by John Eder: View Post
    ... It would seem that logic would dictate that the County Board of Supervisors, with their greater resources and staffing, should be the lead agency in any external intervention in the matter of the closure of Palm Drive Hospital (assuming that it was requested, of course)...
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 10-28-2014 at 12:39 PM.

22. Gratitude expressed by 4 members:

23. TopTop #44
    haammer

I'd like to remind everyone that Measure M needs a countywide 2/3 majority to pass. The M folks are doing a great job of spreading the word, but I think we should all do a part and speak to as many people as we can - especially those who live in other corners of the county. Do you know anyone who lives in Windsor, Guerneville, Forestville, Sonoma, Cotati, Graton, Occidental.... etc?

This will be a great triumph for our community when it passes!

24. TopTop #45
    Shepherd

I agree with haamer. It is very important to promote and vote for Measure M.
    Last edited by Bella Stolz; 10-30-2014 at 01:09 PM.

25. Gratitude expressed by:

26. TopTop #46
    Investigative Reporter

Love your Library? Vote Yes on Measure M… Video to Share and Help Spread the Word

Check out the funny kids at end of this minute long video.

Love Your Library? Vote Yes on Measure M was produced by Progressive Source Communications as part of our pro bono work to benefit the Restore Library Hours Campaign.

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Shepherd: View Post
    I agree with haamer. It is very important to promote and vote for Measure M.

27. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

28. TopTop #47
    farmerdan

Re: Love your Library? Vote Yes on Measure M… Video to Share and Help Spread the Word

Jonathan,

Great video!

Quote Posted in reply to the post by Peacetown Jonathan: View Post

Check out the funny kids at end of this minute long video.

Love Your Library? Vote Yes on Measure M was produced by Progressive Source Communications as part of our pro bono work to benefit the Restore Library Hours Campaign.

29. Gratitude expressed by:

30. TopTop #48
    Kai Daniel

It's almost election day, and the bottom of this thread is pretty far from the top, so here's the downloadable voter guide PDF once again.
    Cheers
    - KD
    Attached Files

31. Gratitude expressed by 2 members:

32. TopTop #49
    Investigative Reporter

The real progressive voter guide for our community

Thank you Kai, for reposting, and for becoming part of Progressive Sebastopol this year.

Ours is the only endorsement guide this year with the independence to challenge the incumbents (like Jim Horn), and their actions (like the error prone marketing of Measure R's four new taxes), on behalf of the people of our community.

33. Gratitude expressed by: